Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CB Artie Burns is due an $800,000 roster bonus on Sunday and the Steelers appear ready to pay it

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: CB Artie Burns is due an $800,000 roster bonus on Sunday and the Steelers appear ready to pay it

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Steelers' Artie Burns is in a fight -- for his NFL life, and his dad's life

Aug 9, 2019
    Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-life-dad-life
    This is exactly why I was in favor of drafting Artie Burns... because, I knew that I was going to root for him (no matter who drafted him). Simply, my heart overtook my brain.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: CB Artie Burns is due an $800,000 roster bonus on Sunday and the Steelers appear ready to pay it

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    This is exactly why I was in favor of drafting Artie Burns... because, I knew that I was going to root for him (no matter who drafted him). Simply, my heart overtook my brain.
    Maybe that is why I saw him as a day 3 selection.....I never saw any of those types of stories. I just saw his film.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Maybe that is why I saw him as a day 3 selection.....I never saw any of those types of stories. I just saw his film.
    As a player, he’s... not good.

As a human, he’s an All Pro.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I for one am happy we still have Burns after watching our back up corners stop absolutely no one in that preseason game. I don’t think I saw a corner break up a single pass. Just tackle after the catch or get lucky because the pass rush caused a bad throw.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I for one am happy we still have Burns after watching our back up corners stop absolutely no one in that preseason game. I don’t think I saw a corner break up a single pass. Just tackle after the catch or get lucky because the pass rush caused a bad throw.
    Layne is going to be our 6th corner this year if Burns proves that last year was a fluke ...

I will not be worried because of the game against Tampa Bay ... I mean, no other CB that will be in our rotation this year played in this game, outside of Hilton (I do not know if he had a pass against him) and Sutton (I do not think he was a problem)

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

This is exactly why I was in favor of drafting Artie Burns... because, I knew that I was going to root for him (no matter who drafted him)

That story about him and hearing about how he is raising his brothers will always make me root for him. I knew that going into the draft, and although I didn't like the pick at the time because I thought it was too high....I was happy for him personally and was really hoping he would become a great player.

I get pissed off reading posts from people that make it so personal. They make claims about players on a personal level when they have NO idea how they conduct themselves in life or professionally.

People can criticize the player if they want, but I ask that they please root for the man inside the helmet.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Layne is going to be our 6th corner this year if Burns proves that last year was a fluke ...

I will not be worried because of the game against Tampa Bay ... I mean, no other CB that will be in our rotation this year played in this game, outside of Hilton (I do not know if he had a pass against him) and Sutton (I do not think he was a problem)
    I’m just saying that I don’t mind the idea of Burns for depth since Layne is not ready. Especially if reports about Burns from camp this year are true.

And our back up safeties seemed pretty awful in coverage as well.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    That story about him and hearing about how he is raising his brothers will always make me root for him. I knew that going into the draft, and although I didn't like the pick at the time because I thought it was too high....I was happy for him personally and was really hoping he would become a great player.

I get pissed off reading posts from people that make it so personal. They make claims about players on a personal level when they have NO idea how they conduct themselves in life or professionally.

People can criticize the player if they want, but I ask that they please root for the man inside the helmet.
    I thought Burns was a round 3-5 talent in his draft season and was pretty vocal about it. The minute he was drafted, I hoped I was wrong and was rooting for the guy, but alas it turns out he is who I thought he was. I still hope Teryl Austin can resurrect his ability and turn him into a serviceable player, but don't think he is gonna be top 3 on this roster and it looks like Sutton is grabbing hold of the top 4 spot as well.

Unfortunately for the Steelers it looks like Burns is an athlete, but not a football player. Still hopeful he is a backup CB in the event of injury and maybe the #5 guy until Layne learns how to play NFL football.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Here is the thing about Artie and why I spotted it early and don't think he will ever be a good football player and specially a good CB. He does not look back at the football or the QB throwing it hardly ever. I think he is, I will knock the ball out of the WR hands at the last moment and rely on my speed. Hence all the pass interference calls when he realize he is burnt no pun intended. Wish him luck and not sure a coach will help to improve him and have little faith.

Glad to see he is a great human being and that is awesome and what a cool guy! Did not know that about him and wish him the best in life and football!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

I don't understand why anyone would actually be rooting "against" any player currently on the team. Especially if they're just mad at him because he sucks. Wouldn't him suddenly improving solve both problems at once?

I do, however, completely understand why people have a frustrated / defeatist attitude about these kinfs of players who just never can seem to get their shit together and never will.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Artie Burns has his swagger back. That was something he was missing last season, but he is his old feisty self now. That is a great thing to see.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/fa...medium=twitter
    Back? Feisty? This sounds like a Jarvis Jones article.

Well hopefully he can at least be an averag CB this season.
    Hater = Realist

Two series, two great plays by Burbs.

1. Open-field tackle on Tyreek Hill (for no gain).

2. Forced a fumble.

3. Good pass breakup.

4. Batted pass (almost an INT) as he rushed the passer.

SUMMATION:
    Burns looks focused & driven.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Back? Feisty? This sounds like a Jarvis Jones article.

Well hopefully he can at least be an averag CB this season.
    If tonight's play was any indication, it seems that might be his baseline with a higher ceiling than we previously hoped this season. Of course, it was just one game, but it makes me look forward to watching him next week.

3. Good pass breakup.

4. Batted pass (almost an INT) as he rushed the passer.

SUMMATION:
    Burns looks focused & driven.
    Yes.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I’m glad we have him. If for nothing else, depth.

We’ve heard nothing but good things about him coming out of camp this year. I’m really not that surprised that he’s turning things around to a certain extent.

Am I saying that I suddenly believe he’s everything we hoped we’d get out of a first round pick? No, of course not. But I do think he can still contribute and be much better than he was last year since he seems to be working so hard at it.

And getting his confidence back could go a long way for a corner like him.

Yes.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I’m glad we have him. If for nothing else, depth.

We’ve heard nothing but good things about him coming out of camp this year. I’m really not that surprised that he’s turning things around to a certain extent.

Am I saying that I suddenly believe he’s everything we hoped we’d get out of a first round pick? No, of course not. But I do think he can still contribute and be much better than he was last year since he seems to be working so hard at it.

And getting his confidence back could go a long way for a corner like him.
    There's one other thing about Burns that people forget. He's only 24 years old. At that age, the brain has just (or is still) connecting the frontal lobe and allowing for depth of thought (that is, grey-area thought rather than thinking in absolutes). Since Burns's problems have been between the ears, there's at least a reason to hope that he may overcome it (at least to a point) this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    There's one other thing about Burns that people forget. He's only 24 years old. At that age, the brain has just (or is still) connecting the frontal lobe and allowing for depth of thought (that is, grey-area thought rather than thinking in absolutes). Since Burns's problems have been between the ears, there's at least a reason to hope that he may overcome it (at least to a point) this year.
    I agree with all of it.

Plus let’s face it, Burns is a good kid and easy to root for. I really want him to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Burns admitted at draft time that he needed another year in college. But, life intervened.

Ile Taylor lost confidence for a season (2006)... but, when he regained his confidence, he was outstanding. I don’t think that Artie Burns will be that* good, but I’ll gladly take the Artie Burns from last night (for the next six seasons).

*(I used to think that, but I’m more realistic now.)

I think Burns is a lock for the roster spot this year .... The only way he's not a steelers when the regular season start is if he's traded, but it's unlikely

Many forget that Burns was fine in his first two seasons ... Last year, it was a disaster for him of course, but he was fine before that.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I think Burns is a lock for the roster spot this year .... The only way he's not a steelers when the regular season start is if he's traded, but it's unlikely

Many forget that Burns was fine in his first two seasons ... Last year, it was a disaster for him of course, but he was fine before that.
    I'm not sure 'fine' is how I'd describe it... He played to the level of a 3rd-4th rounder, but never a 1st.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with all of it.

Plus let’s face it, Burns is a good kid and easy to root for. I really want him to succeed.
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'm not sure 'fine' is how I'd describe it... He played to the level of a 3rd-4th rounder, but never a 1st.

- - - Updated - - -

Me too!
    I know he did not play as a first round pick but he was not garbage like last year

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

If burns has a comeback year I’ll attribute it to better locker room culture