Thread: AFC North training camp preview: What will life be like with just one Killer B in Pittsburgh?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

AFC North training camp preview: What will life be like with just one Killer B in Pittsburgh?

Pittsburgh Steelers
    Training camp report dates: rookies (July 24) and veterans (July 25).

Most important position battle: No. 2 receiver. No one pops out as an obvious candidate to replace JuJu Smith-Schuster, set to assume Antonio Brown's old mantle as the No. 1 man. Of course, the Steelers have a real and demonstrated history of unearthing receiving talent. (Remember back when Mike Wallace was the premier receiver in Pittsburgh and Brown was a sixth-round rookie buried on the depth chart behind Wallace, Hines Ward, fellow rookie Emmanuel Sanders and, uh, a 31-year-old Antwaan Randle El?) Donte Moncrief has experience (69 games, 346 targets and 200 catches in five seasons), but he's still chasing the career year he posted in 2015 (105 targets, 64 catches, 733 yards and six touchdowns). Second-year pro James Washington had just 16 catches for 217 yards and a score as a rookie, but he's also earned the enthusiastic backing of none other than Smith-Schuster. Rookie Diontae Johnson (a third-round pick out of Toledo) and veterans Eli Rogers and Ryan Switzer (striving to be more than a returner) also figure to be in the mix.

Newcomer/player returning from injury to watch: Devin Bush, linebacker. Since 2000, the Steelers have drafted five players 15th overall or higher: Plaxico Burress (No. 8 in 2000), Ben Roethlisberger (No. 11 in 2004), Lawrence Timmons (No. 15 in 2007), Ryan Shazier (No. 15 in 2014) and Bush (No. 10 in April). The defense has fared well enough over the past few seasons, but there is still a need for someone to fill the role of leader at inside linebacker left vacant by Shazier's catastrophic injury in 2017. Enter Bush, who landed on Lance Zierlein's Defensive Rookie of the Year watch list. The comparisons will only be encouraged by Bush's revelation that he and Shazier communicate "daily," and that he considers Shazier "like my big brother."

Looming camp question: What will life be like with just one Killer B? Brown is on one coast. Le'Veon Bell is on the other. This is Ben Roethlisberger's show alone once again. To find a season in which neither Brown nor Bell played a significant role, you'd have to go back to 2010, when Bell was a freshman at Michigan State and Brown was (as mentioned above) an afterthought on the roster. That was also the last time the Steelers reached the Super Bowl. I tend to think that better players make for better teams, and the relative lack of postseason success over the Bell-Brown years had more to do with injuries and bad luck than anything else. But it can also be true that, for various reasons, this group had gone as far as it was going to go together. There is reason to think Smith-Schuster and James Conner will thrive in place of Brown and Bell, but both players face questions. Smith-Schuster has never been the primary target in Pittsburgh over a full season, while Conner's promising 2018 ended on a downward slope in terms of production, with an ankle injury throwing a wrench in the gears. An added wrinkle: Jaylen Samuels, who played well in his own right while filling in for Conner last season, has said he and Conner will be on the field at the same time. Will we get any glimpses in August of what makes Roethlisberger jazzed about this offense?

read more

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...gn=Twitter_atn

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: AFC North training camp preview: What will life be like with just one Killer B in Pittsburgh?

this was written by a very good poster on another message board:

"Ben was a Hall of Fame caliber QB before Brown and Bell.
    He was a Hall of Fame caliber QB with Brown and Bell.
    He'll continue to be a Hall of Fame caliber QB after Brown and Bell.

I've seen Ben produce with Plaxico.
    I've seen Ben produce with Hines.
    I've seen Ben produce with Santonio.
    I've seen Ben produce with Wallace.
    I've seen Ben produce with Brown.
    I've seen Ben produce with Juju.

Hell, I've seen Ben produce with Cedrick Wilson, Nate Washington, Antwaan Randle El, Jerricho Cotchery, Manny Sanders, Markus Wheaton, Martavis Bryant, etc., etc. etc.

I've seen Ben produce with the Bus.
    I've seen Ben produce with Fast Willie.
    I've seen Ben produce with Mendenhall.
    I've seen Ben produce with Bell.
    I've seen Ben produce with DeAngelo.
    I've seen Ben produce with Conner.

Hell, I've seen Ben produce with Duce Staley, Verron Haynes, Najeh Davenport, Mewelde Moore, Isaac Redman, Jonathan Dwyer, LeGarrette Blount, etc., etc. etc.

The common denominator throughout all of this is Ben. We'll be more than fine."

Senior Member Array title="bendsteel is a splendid one to behold">

Re: AFC North training camp preview: What will life be like with just one Killer B in Pittsburgh?

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

Hell, I've seen Ben produce with Cedrick Wilson, Nate Washington, Antwaan Randle El, Jerricho Cotchery, Manny Sanders, Markus Wheaton, Martavis Bryant, etc., etc. etc.

Hell, I've seen Ben produce with Duce Staley, Verron Haynes, Najeh Davenport, Mewelde Moore, Isaac Redman, Jonathan Dwyer, LeGarrette Blount, etc., etc. etc.

SOOO rare for me to post here. I mostly read. This is one of, if not THE best post ever. Thank you HS. I shall return to the shadows now.

Amazing point!

Also, Ben produced with so many bad offensive line in the middle of his career and he even won a super bowl with probably the worst offensive line ever to win a super bowl!

HOF QB are able to overcome the weaknesses around him ... No team is perfect, but it's important to have a QB that is able to play well no matter what!

I mean, with Ben, the steelers had the 2nd best record in the NFL behind the Patriots in the last 5 years, 10 last years and 15 last years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bendsteel View Post
    SOOO rare for me to post here. I mostly read. This is one of, if not THE best post ever. Thank you HS. I shall return to the shadows now.
    Agree...One of the best post ever!

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Great post!
    I think I'm going to print this out and show it to every one I know. Then I'm going to hang it on the refrigerator.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

PFT 2019 storyline No. 4: How will the Steelers perform without Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell?

Posted by Mike Florio on July 22, 2019

The Steelers didn’t make it to a single Super Bowl with Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell both on the roster. Now, they’ll try to get there with neither of them.

The offseason has spent much of the last year reeling from dysfunction, starting with Bell’s holdout and continuing with Brown tweeting his way out of town. The end result, however, seems to be that the remaining players have pulled closer together, united in their desire to prove wrong anyone and everyone who has doubted the organization.

The doubts have at times been justified. Undeniably talented, the Steelers haven’t been able to get the most out of the ability of the players. Whether that speaks to a lack of leadership or flaws in coaching, the Steelers have become regarded as a band of underachievers.

Even without Brown and Bell, the Steelers still have plenty of talent, starting with a quarterback who is chronically underrated simply because he’s not beloved (or, frankly, liked) by fans and the media. It doesn’t help that multiple former teammates remain willing to call him out, something that only happens to Aaron Rodgers and not to any other franchise quarterback.

to read rest of article:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...d-leveon-bell/

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Great post except he left out HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAATH

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Ben can't read defense?
    if only Ben watched more film like Peyton...

if only Ben watched more film like Peyton...
    Too funny when others say that Ben and Bradshaw are too dumb to play the QB position!

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Too funny when others say that Ben and Bradshaw are too dumb to play the QB position!
    Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin essentially calls Terry Bradshaw dumb after ‘cheerleader guy’ comment

By CHUCK SCHILKENSTAFF WRITER
    DEC. 28, 2016

Pittsburgh Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin usually isn’t one to get too fired up about something, at least in public. Most of his interviews and news conferences are filled with a lot of canned phrases or football cliches.

But after team legend Terry Bradshaw said Tomlin is a “great cheerleader guy” rather than a great coach, the 10-year Steelers leader gave a very thoughtful response, and even added a subtle dig toward the former quarterback at the end.

to read rest of article:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/sport...228-story.html