Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Boykin Believes Steelers Offense Will Suffer In 2019 Without AB, Experienced Backup QB

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Brandon Boykin Believes Steelers Offense Will Suffer In 2019 Without AB, Experienced Backup QB

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Brandon Boykin Believes Steelers Offense Will Suffer In 2019 Without AB, Experienced Backup QB

It’s pretty obvious that AB is the most talented WR in the NFL. But, there was life before AB, and there most certainly will be life after him.

Backup QB...???

Re: Brandon Boykin Believes Steelers Offense Will Suffer In 2019 Without AB, Experienced Backup QB

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    It’s pretty obvious that AB is the most talented WR in the NFL. But, there was life before AB, and there most certainly will be life after him.

Backup QB...???
    Our life before AB was just awful!!!!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Backup QB...???
    Hey, 3rd string RG is crucial too!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Our life before AB was just awful!!!!

I was sarcastic!

I forgot to say that

I was sarcastic!

I forgot to say that
    Whew!!! I should have figured that.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Brandon Boykin?

Apparently the skill set to get on NFL Network to provide “expert commentary” requires both having been on a NFL roster at some point and the ability to fog up a mirror

Maybe all the usual suspects who fill the seats on NFL Network programming that is not replays of old games or NFL Films inventory are on late summer vacations?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I have long suspected that much of this stuff is far more scripted than it appears. Producers huddle with the "analysts" and sketch out the narrative. Then the host is fed leading questions. All in an effort to fill air-time and come up with something new that is easy for viewers to understand.

Actual analysis would take time, require watching game film, and most viewers would not care to get that level of detail. So we are left with these "nuggets" of wisdom.

IMO, best solution is to not watch NFLN or ESPN.

For the backup QB ... I understand that the backup QB position has been very important for the Eagles in the last 2 seasons, but it is very rare to see a situation like this!

Ben also did not miss a game in the last 2 years because of an injury ...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I have long suspected that much of this stuff is far more scripted than it appears. Producers huddle with the "analysts" and sketch out the narrative. Then the host is fed leading questions. All in an effort to fill air-time and come up with something new that is easy for viewers to understand.

Actual analysis would take time, require watching game film, and most viewers would not care to get that level of detail. So we are left with these "nuggets" of wisdom.

IMO, best solution is to not watch NFLN or ESPN.
    Been taking this advice for years.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Been taking this advice for years.
    Same. Other than injury news, contract status updates, or signings/trades -- I do my best to ignore anything sourced to those two networks. It is mostly noise designed to generate controversy.

Some are however very credible at NFLN, espn or even fox sports 1, but others are just an idiot and do not deserve to have a job

It's embarrassing that David Carr has a job ..... When you said that Joe Montana in not a top 10 QB of all-time,you deserve to be fired!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

It's embarrassing that David Carr has a job ..... When you said that Joe Montana in not a top 10 QB of all-time,you deserve to be fired!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I forgot who Boykin was...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I forgot who Boykin was...lol.

Not me,because he was one of the most popular players of the steelers in 2015!

A true Steelers legends!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Not me,because he was one of the most popular players of the steelers in 2015!

A true Steelers legends!
    Lol

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

These media head still don't bring up the kicking problem the Steelers dealt with last season. Was a big part of the reason why the Steelers missed the playoffs.

Boswell needs to rebound, or Matthew Wright needs to be a gem. If not I'll assume this season will lead to frustration. Can't leave points on the board.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Is that the guy who played like one game for us once?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Is he being objective or is he just feeling sore over the lack of playing time he got

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Is that the guy who played like one game for us once?
    The CB right?

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

I think the Steelers will be fine.

no more Ben trying to force the ball to a double or triple teamed AB. Which resulted in a lot of failed passes (and a few int’s)

plus, all signs point to Montcrief having a really good year and Washington improving from last year, not to mention the potential of draft pick D Johnson.

AB is 31 as well. This could be the year he starts to lose a step anyway

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

It now seems fashionable to want to see the Steelers fail

The Steelers may be a traditional powerhouse, but they’re one that hasn’t won a title in a long time. They’re perceived to be on the downturn, and that is why it’s so easy for national pundits to attack them at every opportunity.

By Anthony Defeo@Defeoman Jul 22, 2019

In case you haven’t noticed, the Steelers aren’t receiving a whole lot of love from the national pundits this offseason.

That’s right, not many are predicting Pittsburgh will be much more than mediocre in 2019, with the average win-total sitting at around 9.5 or so.

As for those national pundits, it seems they never let an opportunity pass by without reminding the public just how bad the Steelers possibly could be this season.

Former Steelers corner Brandon Boykin was the latest to sit in front of a camera and let the audience know why he thought Pittsburgh could really, really suck next year. One reason he listed while appearing on the NFL Network (and I can’t believe I never thought of this during my many weeks co-hosting The Steelers Hangover with Bryan Anthony Davis this offseason— but then again, I’m not a former player, so what do I know?) was that Pittsburgh’s offense could really feel the loss of receiver Antonio Brown.

Boykin also said the Steelers could be in trouble in 2019 if Ben Roethlisberger goes down and one of the backups has to play. (In other news, did you know if you broke both of your hands, you’d be in deep trouble if you tried to drive your car with your feet?)

In fairness to Boykin, he’s just like so many others out there, a person who is simply going out of his way to look for reasons why the Steelers will soon fall on hard times.

to read rest of article:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...s-fans-twitter

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    It now seems fashionable to want to see the Steelers fail

The Steelers may be a traditional powerhouse, but they’re one that hasn’t won a title in a long time. They’re perceived to be on the downturn, and that is why it’s so easy for national pundits to attack them at every opportunity.

By Anthony Defeo@Defeoman Jul 22, 2019

In case you haven’t noticed, the Steelers aren’t receiving a whole lot of love from the national pundits this offseason.

That’s right, not many are predicting Pittsburgh will be much more than mediocre in 2019, with the average win-total sitting at around 9.5 or so.

As for those national pundits, it seems they never let an opportunity pass by without reminding the public just how bad the Steelers possibly could be this season.

Former Steelers corner Brandon Boykin was the latest to sit in front of a camera and let the audience know why he thought Pittsburgh could really, really suck next year. One reason he listed while appearing on the NFL Network (and I can’t believe I never thought of this during my many weeks co-hosting The Steelers Hangover with Bryan Anthony Davis this offseason— but then again, I’m not a former player, so what do I know?) was that Pittsburgh’s offense could really feel the loss of receiver Antonio Brown.

Boykin also said the Steelers could be in trouble in 2019 if Ben Roethlisberger goes down and one of the backups has to play. (In other news, did you know if you broke both of your hands, you’d be in deep trouble if you tried to drive your car with your feet?)

In fairness to Boykin, he’s just like so many others out there, a person who is simply going out of his way to look for reasons why the Steelers will soon fall on hard times.

to read rest of article:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...s-fans-twitter
    Good. I'd rather the Steelers not be picked as a favorite.

All the rest is elevator music.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Good. I'd rather the Steelers not be picked as a favorite.

All the rest is elevator music.
    I think we're much better underdogs than favorites. the last time the Steelers won the Superbowl, we were picked to finish 3rd in the AFC North behind the Bengals and Ravens.

it is what it is, obviously. we're not going to live in our fears, the standard is the standard.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The Soap Operas of the past couple seasons were prime material for a lot of the media. Having it happen to a successful franchise like the Steelers makes it even better.

2019 was the first offseason in a long time that didn't have the Steelers dealing with some holdout, a contract dispute, an impending player suspension, or some dumb offseason incident. My expectations are not high on the 2019 Steelers, but they deserve some credit for that.

As far as the Patriots go, they are the hot stuff now, but Belichick and Brady won't be around forever. Let's see how the mighty Patriots fare after they are long gone. At least the Steelers were able to win Super Bowls again after their 70's dynasty ended. The Pats are set to become the NFL's version of the Chicago Bulls and Edmonton Oilers.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I think we're much better underdogs than favorites. the last time the Steelers won the Superbowl, we were picked to finish 3rd in the AFC North behind the Bengals and Ravens.

it is what it is, obviously. we're not going to live in our fears, the standard is the standard.

In fact it was not in 2008 (2008 the steelers were favorite in front of the Browns !!!! ... The expectations of the Ravens were not very high with a rookie HC and rookie QB and they had finished 5-11 the year before but of course they were better than expected!), it was in 2010, the year the steelers had lost the SB but the expectations of some were very low because of the loss of Santonio Holmes and the suspension of Roethlisberger .... Also the steelers had missed the playoffs the year before.

But the problem of steelers is when they are favorite, they need to be much better in this situation ... Of course, right now they are underdog, but if they have a huge upset win in week 1 in foxboro and they win their first home game against Russell Wilson and the Seahawks, the expectations will change! .... Of course the game after is on the road against SF and we know that the steelers have always been horrible in the west coast in the Tomlin era. They will have the chance to change this reputation in the first 5 games, since they also play on the road against the chargers in week 5.

In fact it was not in 2008 (2008 the steelers were favorite in front of the Browns !!!! ... The expectations of the Ravens were not very high with a rookie HC and rookie QB and they had finished 5-11 the year before but of course they were better than expected!), it was in 2010, the year the steelers had lost the SB but the expectations of some were very low because of the loss of Santonio Holmes and the suspension of Roethlisberger .... Also the steelers had missed the playoffs the year before.
    you're right, guess I was trying to forget that Super Bowl loss to the Packers.

ugh, we so should have won that game