Thread: Mike Tomlin isn't here to be understood

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Mike Tomlin isn't here to be understood

PITTSBURGH -- After working the halls of a national coaches convention, Mike Tomlin grabbed a chair. Legendary coach Bobby Bowden was speaking, and Tomlin, then a young position coach in the college ranks, sought wisdom to take back to his meeting rooms.

Tomlin's older brother was alongside him as Bowden delivered the double-take message to the crowd of 20-somethings about two decades ago.

He said, 'I treat players according to how fast they are,'" Ed Tomlin said. "We kind of laughed at how honest that was."

Mike Tomlin has the Super Bowl cachet to headline those conventions now. He also is known to be just as honest about his treatment of players, which only deepens the intrigue for his crucial 13th season with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Despite racking up 125 regular-season wins since 2007, second to the New England Patriots' Bill Belichick among active coaches during that span, Tomlin faced scrutiny last season for the Steelers' late collapse, their propensity for making headlines and a rocky relationship with former receiver Antonio Brown, who many former teammates believe received star treatment in Pittsburgh.

Tomlin remained unapologetically himself through that storm, unmoved by a players' coach label or what he called chatter. He publicly stated he treats everyone fairly but not exactly the same.

He is not concerned with being misunderstood. Winning rises above that, which is why Tomlin considers himself "ready for battle" in 2019.

"I shaped my reputation in this business and this outlook in this business being singularly focused on the task at hand," Tomlin told ESPN in a sit-down interview from his hometown of Hampton, Virginia, where he appeared at a fundraiser for the Hampton Roads Youth Foundation. "So I'd be kidding you if I told you I had a certain edge because of what happened in 2018. I just have a certain edge because I better have a certain edge. This business that I’m in dictates that I better have a certain edge, and I embrace that element of it.”

The organization prefers stability at the top, having famously employed just three head coaches since 1969. What Tomlin does during the Steelers' 2019 campaign will strengthen the organization's faith in him or test its limits.

With Brown and Le'Veon Bell in new uniforms and the Steelers no longer a trendy Super Bowl pick, those who know Tomlin believe he is at his best when doubted.

read more

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...-be-understood

Re: Mike Tomlin isn't here to be understood

munchy

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

lol.........this guys ego is unbelievable
    what a blatant liar
    no drama in that locker room but you begged colbert to give away AB for next to nothing.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by munchy View Post
    what a blatant liar
    no drama in that locker room but you begged colbert to give away AB for next to nothing.
    241 posts and not one positive comment.

munchy

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    241 posts and not one positive comment.

wrong again...............

fyi. me and granny are going to pittsburgh for a few days starting tomorrow morning. i wont be back until saturday night.
    not that i think you will, but it does give a chance to get a life and away from the computer, stalking my every post.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

fyi. me and granny are going to pittsburgh for a few days starting tomorrow morning. i wont be back until saturday night.
    not that i think you will, but it does give a chance to get a life and away from the computer, stalking my every post.
    I realize that this will be hard for you to comprehend, but I have an actual job where I use the computer everyday.

I'm sure one day when you're all grown up you will get a job also and can afford to move out of your granny's basement.

nah, you'll probably live there forever. can't beat the free rent and those homemade pies she makes special just for you so you can live large...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

what a blatant liar
    Why do you follow the team? It seems to bring you no joy or good times. Just anger and negativity. Or is that the persona you’ve adopted for message boards?

what a blatant liar
    I also do not think Tomlin is telling the truth for the locker room, since nobody will tell me that the locker room was good last year (or the other years before) and that it was not a circus ... several players of the steelers said that the chemistry was not at its best .... but I understand Tomlin why he says that .... We are at one week away from the training camp, so why go back on the problems of the past .. It's time to look ahead instead of talking about the problems of the past!

what a blatant liar
    So, you're taking few weeks and projecting over the entire season so that you can revert back to your "Tomlin Sucks" mantra? I've seen better logic in freshman papers. Trust me, that's not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Why do you follow the team? It seems to bring you no joy or good times. Just anger and negativity. Or is that the persona you’ve adopted for message boards?
    munchy will answer everyone's questions as soon as he returns from Legoland with his granny...

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    munchy will answer everyone's questions as soon as he returns from Legoland with his granny...
    I think he meant tranny, it's only one key off
    See you Space Cowboy ...