Thread: Buy Or Sell: Mike Tomlin Will End Career As Winningest Coach In Steelers History

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Buy Or Sell: Mike Tomlin Will End Career As Winningest Coach In Steelers History

Topic Statement: Mike Tomlin will end his career as the winningest coach in team history.

Explanation: Chuck Noll had one of the longest coaching careers in NFL history. His 23 seasons as the Steelers’ head coach from 1969 to 1991 is the eighth-most time spent in that capacity for a team in NFL history. He produced 193 wins out of it, the ninth-most in NFL history. Bill Cowher won 149 games (20th-most) in his 15 seasons in Pittsburgh, but Tomlin, in 12 years, has already accumulated 125 wins, with comfortably the best winning percentage of the group.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/bu...elers-history/

This is likely for me

I believe that Tomlin will stay as long as he wants (unless it becomes a real disaster that I do not think it's going to go that far) that should be enough for him to surpass Noll for the regular season win.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Buy Or Sell: Mike Tomlin Will End Career As Winningest Coach In Steelers History

Tomlin has been propped up by upper tier talent his whole time here, and his track record with developing talent is...okay. A Defensive guru, yet the Steelers secondary has been a question mark for years. The 2010's are a black stain on his resume.

I stick to my opinion that Tomlin's contract won't be renewed and he'll get a sudden quick unknown "retirement" or he'll "voluntarily" leave when Ben retires. Whichever comes first.

The only thing that will save Tomlin is better success in the 2020's. I'm not talking Super Bowls (though that would be nice), but more consistent seasons and more playoff wins. If the Steelers fared better in the postseason, I think fans wouldn't be as harsh on him for falling short. A 3-5 playoff record and One AFC Title game appearance in nine years with Ben under center is not good.

Re: Buy Or Sell: Mike Tomlin Will End Career As Winningest Coach In Steelers History

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Tomlin has been propped up by upper tier talent his whole time here, and his track record with developing talent is...okay. A Defensive guru, yet the Steelers secondary has been a question mark for years. The 2010's are a black stain on his resume.

I stick to my opinion that Tomlin's contract won't be renewed and he'll get a sudden quick unknown "retirement" or he'll "voluntarily" leave when Ben retires. Whichever comes first.

The only thing that will save Tomlin is better success in the 2020's. I'm not talking Super Bowls (though that would be nice), but more consistent seasons and more playoff wins. If the Steelers fared better in the postseason, I think fans wouldn't be as harsh on him for falling short. A 3-5 playoff record and One AFC Title game appearance in nine years with Ben under center is not good.
    My goal is not to have this discussion again .... We have had this discussion before and it was a major problem, since I have been criticized sometimes when I had discussions about Tomlin as at the post number 6 at this thread

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...teelers-quotes

But we can write things about Tomlin without going back to debating on him again.

As it's an interresting question ... Do you think he's going to have more wins over Noll in the regular season as HC of the steelers?

This is possible.

munchy

if the steelers extend him this year then ill say yes.
    it will signify that the rooneys are fine with underachieving during the post season so they will keep him around as long as he wants
    what 70 more wins?
    with a consistently loaded roster and in a poor division, tomlin should be able to win 7-9 games a year easy. throw in a few years where he gets all the breaks and he could have the record in 7 years
    they can do the rooney rule thingy by keeping a black coach also
    they will still be able to say, 'only 3 coaches in X years'

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by munchy View Post
    they can do the rooney rule thingy by keeping a black coach also
    showing your true racist self, huh?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

It really all depends on what Tomlin does post-Ben, what incentive Tomlin gives Art (i.e, is Tomlin giving Art a reason to keep him around other than non-losing seasons and coaching stability), and Art's standards/level of patience (If Tomlin doesn't stop underachieving, how long is Art willing to stick with him?) I do imagine he will need to make the playoffs the next two years if he wants any shot (otherwise his contract may "run out")

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I'll buy that. Echoing st33lersguy, it depends on how we do after Ben. If the team continues to have winning seasons but no luck in the post season, I imagine the FO will continue doing what they have done thus far. If the team craters, Tomlin might be on the chopping block after a few lost seasons.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    If the team craters, Tomlin might be on the chopping block after a few lost seasons.
    Tomlin has never had a losing season

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Tomlin will retire with not only the most wins in Steelers coaching history, he will have won the most Lombardis of any Steelers coach.

A big factor: he is only 47.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Tomlin will retire with not only the most wins in Steelers coaching history, he will have won the most Lombardis of any Steelers coach.

I hope you're correct...
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

I hope you're correct...
    For now,I will be happy if this is just one more

Ten years ago Tomlin was only 37...

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Needs three more to tie Noll...not happening...wish it would, but once Ben goes...good luck with that.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I hope you're correct...

Great post... ...as in perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Ten years ago Tomlin was only 37...

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Needs three more to tie Noll...not happening...wish it would, but once Ben goes...good luck with that.
    Wins one more with Ben. Ben retires.

Shazier returns. Destiny brings another Lombardi.

He’ll be 50 at that point... and has 15 years to get two more (to reach 5). Likely: no. Possible: yes.

munchy

that would only be true if the other coaches had zero..........

that would only be true if the other coaches had zero..........
    243 negative posts and counting...

munchy

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    243 negative posts and counting...

and you'd be wrong again

man, are you going to be able to handle me not posting for a few days?.................

and you'd be wrong again

man, are you going to be able to handle me not posting for a few days?.................
    what I would really love to try to handle is to see you never polluting this message board with your negativity ever again.