Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Might we have a new punter and kicker in 2019.

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a jewel in the rough">

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Posts
    325

    Might we have a new punter and kicker in 2019.

    One of the reasons the Steelers didn't make the playoffs, the only reason it seems that Art Rooney II mentions is the kicking game.


    Berry is a bottom tiered punter. He's not that consistent, and he lacks a leg to flip the field when needed. His hang time is below average. I felt rookie free agent Matt Wile was better in camp in 2018 ( In Distance, and hang time ), and, and about a million cheaper on the cap last season. The Steelers stuck with Berry. Bad move Tomlin. Wile who averaged 45.2 yards a kick last year was given a new deal by the Vikings.


    Okay, while it's true any team can win a super bowl with a punter, even a solid college punter no name picked off the street, the same can not be said about a kicker. It's a very important position, and outside of quarterback, perhaps the quickest way to lose a game.


    NFL games can be close, and Boswell was just awful last year. The worst kicker in the NFL by a good margin, he cost us at least two games. Tomlin, who could have replaced Boswell stuck with him. If Boswell was cut, the Steelers probably win a game they lost, and we make the playoffs.


    As I exit my high horse, the common sense question is, with Ben having maybe a 2-3 year window to get us back to the super bowl, why stick with a bad kicker and lousy punter? These are cheap positions to replace! Boswell ins't cheap! The Steelers could have spent one of our three 6th round picks and upgraded at either punter or kicker. Can Boswell re-bound? I'm not sure. Maybe he can, maybe he can't. I am sure we should not gamble it. That didn't work out so well for us last year.


    The punter we brought in could win a job. But he's a punter. The kicker we brought in doesn't does look that impressive on paper.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,764

    Re: Might we have a new punter and kicker in 2019.

    Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    One of the reasons the Steelers didn't make the playoffs, the only reason it seems that Art Rooney II mentions is the kicking game.


    Berry is a bottom tiered punter. He's not that consistent, and he lacks a leg to flip the field when needed. His hang time is below average. I felt rookie free agent Matt Wile was better in camp in 2018 ( In Distance, and hang time ), and, and about a million cheaper on the cap last season. The Steelers stuck with Berry. Bad move Tomlin. Wile who averaged 45.2 yards a kick last year was given a new deal by the Vikings.


    Okay, while it's true any team can win a super bowl with a punter, even a solid college punter no name picked off the street, the same can not be said about a kicker. It's a very important position, and outside of quarterback, perhaps the quickest way to lose a game.


    NFL games can be close, and Boswell was just awful last year. The worst kicker in the NFL by a good margin, he cost us at least two games. Tomlin, who could have replaced Boswell stuck with him. If Boswell was cut, the Steelers probably win a game they lost, and we make the playoffs.


    As I exit my high horse, the common sense question is, with Ben having maybe a 2-3 year window to get us back to the super bowl, why stick with a bad kicker and lousy punter? These are cheap positions to replace! Boswell ins't cheap! The Steelers could have spent one of our three 6th round picks and upgraded at either punter or kicker. Can Boswell re-bound? I'm not sure. Maybe he can, maybe he can't. I am sure we should not gamble it. That didn't work out so well for us last year.


    The punter we brought in could win a job. But he's a punter. The kicker we brought in doesn't does look that impressive on paper.
    I know it seems weird that in a world of almost 10 billion people, there aren’t 32 humans who can kick a ball through the uprights from within 50 yards every time. I’m not saying it’s easy, I’m saying 32 out of billions!

    But seriously, it turns it isn’t so easy to just find someone. Look at the Bears for proof of that.

    I guess the thinking is, the odds of pro bowl caliber kicker like Boswel rebounding after a bad year is a safer bet than taking on a new unproven guy.

    Boswell being not just good but GREAT was a big part of us winning the division in ‘17. We just have to hope he returns to form, and trust that the Steelers have a good plan if he doesn’t.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    9,306

    Re: Might we have a new punter and kicker in 2019.

    It also seems odd that no NFL team I am aware of has former kickers on the coaching staff. I think NFL coaches and scouting departments are so all over the place on kickers and punters because they have no idea what they are looking for or how to coach it. So they throw darts and hope they find s good one.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a jewel in the rough">

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Posts
    325

    Re: Might we have a new punter and kicker in 2019.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It also seems odd that no NFL team I am aware of has former kickers on the coaching staff. I think NFL coaches and scouting departments are so all over the place on kickers and punters because they have no idea what they are looking for or how to coach it. So they throw darts and hope they find s good one.

    Interesting point. The special teams' coach handles the kickers and punters. Maybe there should be an x kicker or punter as the kicking coach, someone who can not only help with technique but work on the psyche the position demands as he has been there and done that. I like it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Aloha State
    Gender
    Posts
    6,156

    Re: Might we have a new punter and kicker in 2019.

    2019 Pre-Training Camp Roster Review: Specialist

    By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on July 12, 2019

    https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/20...ew-specialist/

  6. #6
    ® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,692

    Re: Might we have a new punter and kicker in 2019.

    It will be the same punter and kicker in 2019.
    Hater = Realist

  7. #7
    Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Gender
    Posts
    2,091

    Re: Might we have a new punter and kicker in 2019.

    in my experience when a kicker gets the yips they're never the same

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    12,422

    Re: Might we have a new punter and kicker in 2019.

    I wouldn't bet on it. Boswell probably stays for another year at least based on previous seasons and as for Berry, keeping your job after poor performance is pretty common on the team so I wouldn't bet on it

  9. #9
    Junior Member Array title="WoodrowM is an unknown quantity at this point">

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Gender
    Posts
    2

    Re: Might we have a new punter and kicker in 2019.

    Is there a chance of Boswell improving? No, right?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a jewel in the rough">

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Posts
    325

    Re: Might we have a new punter and kicker in 2019.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    in my experience when a kicker gets the yips they're never the same
    Or


    In my experience, most head coaches don't tolerate a long slump from a kicker...at least the good ones.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •