Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Hines Ward Ready To See Steelers ‘Just Line Up And Kick Tail’, Leaving Drama Behind

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    19,309

    Hines Ward Ready To See Steelers ‘Just Line Up And Kick Tail’, Leaving Drama Behind


  2. #2
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    31,712

    Re: Hines Ward Ready To See Steelers ‘Just Line Up And Kick Tail’, Leaving Drama Behind

    Its that simple! They have the talent and have had superior talent. They just need to do it!!!




  3. #3
    Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Gender
    Posts
    2,091

    Re: Hines Ward Ready To See Steelers Just Line Up And Kick Tail, Leaving Drama Behind

    I have a feeling they'll be better this year.

    Kind of crazy how our young 3rd year players (Juju, Conner, Watt) are showing more leadership and maturity than Bell and Brown ever have.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,764

    Re: Hines Ward Ready To See Steelers Just Line Up And Kick Tail, Leaving Drama Behind

    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I have a feeling they'll be better this year.

    Kind of crazy how our young 3rd year players (Juju, Conner, Watt) are showing more leadership and maturity than Bell and Brown ever have.
    It sure seems that way.

    I know we’ve discussed this ad naseum on other threads, but it still blows my mind how everything changed (at least perception-wise) with both of those players.

    Bell seemed like such a good kid, and very contrite and mature when he made his early mistake.

    And Brown... I admired his spirit and work ethic so much. He was such an inspiration as a guy who was never the biggest or fastest or even most coveted by this team early on. He just outworked EVERYONE. He was everything a football player is supposed to be from a character standpoint. And what was so beautiful was that he was rewarded for it. The Steelers appreciated the hell out of him and so did the fans. It was the perfect story... when Wallace wouldn’t take the Steelers offer, so instead they gave the money to the harder working underdog...

    It all just felt so right.

    I guess we’ll never know if the money and fame in and of itself changes people... or is that they start listening to all the new voices telling them how awesome and righteous they are? Or was a guy like Brown always bordering on Crazyville and we only SAW it later.

    Probably a combination of everything.

    I guess the scary part to me is that I SO want to believe it can never happen to guys like Juju, Watt, and Conner... but I had such a high opinion of Bell and especially Brown at one time...

    And to be clear I do not have a problem with a player negotiating for whatever they can get. I don’t have a personal problem with a player who leaves for more money (even if I don’t like that it’s happening for my own selfish reasons as a fan). I certainly didn’t like Wallace leaving for more money at the time, but I can’t dislike the man for doing it. It’s a job that you have to cash in on while you can. I get that.

    But Bell and Brown just went about it so spectacularly badly... I suppose it’s difficult to picture our current crop of youngsters going out like that, ever. So I’ll choose to believe they’re different in all the best ways.

    I hope history proves me right.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Gender
    Posts
    2,091

    Re: Hines Ward Ready To See Steelers Just Line Up And Kick Tail, Leaving Drama Behind

    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    It sure seems that way.

    I know we’ve discussed this ad naseum on other threads, but it still blows my mind how everything changed (at least perception-wise) with both of those players.

    Bell seemed like such a good kid, and very contrite and mature when he made his early mistake.

    And Brown... I admired his spirit and work ethic so much. He was such an inspiration as a guy who was never the biggest or fastest or even most coveted by this team early on. He just outworked EVERYONE. He was everything a football player is supposed to be from a character standpoint. And what was so beautiful was that he was rewarded for it. The Steelers appreciated the hell out of him and so did the fans. It was the perfect story... when Wallace wouldn’t take the Steelers offer, so instead they gave the money to the harder working underdog...

    It all just felt so right.

    I guess we’ll never know if the money and fame in and of itself changes people... or is that they start listening to all the new voices telling them how awesome and righteous they are? Or was a guy like Brown always bordering on Crazyville and we only SAW it later.

    Probably a combination of everything.

    I guess the scary part to me is that I SO want to believe it can never happen to guys like Juju, Watt, and Conner... but I had such a high opinion of Bell and especially Brown at one time...

    And to be clear I do not have a problem with a player negotiating for whatever they can get. I don’t have a personal problem with a player who leaves for more money (even if I don’t like that it’s happening for my own selfish reasons as a fan). I certainly didn’t like Wallace leaving for more money at the time, but I can’t dislike the man for doing it. It’s a job that you have to cash in on while you can. I get that.

    But Bell and Brown just went about it so spectacularly badly... I suppose it’s difficult to picture our current crop of youngsters going out like that, ever. So I’ll choose to believe they’re different in all the best ways.

    I hope history proves me right.
    I had my reservations about Bell, and saw problems coming when he got busted and started making rap songs talking about needing 15 million. Even more so when he made that song 'target' and was like 'people keep talking about the weed, but what about the PEDs'.. I had to shake my head, both of those can get you suspended, and out of the league (look at josh gordon lol).

    Brown I'll have to agree. His work ethic was second to none and he was (still is) a great player. Though was he a team player? He had times (with Vick and Jones) where he pouted when they didn't play up to Ben's level. The whole social media thing in the locker room was a definite wtf moment. Despite this work ethic and ability, he never seemed to emerge as a leader though. His personality was more Santonio Holmes than Hines Ward. He made the splash plays, but never had a way of firing up the troops like Ward did.

    Anyway long story short, Bell I was always iffy about, Brown I thought would have been a career Steeler despite his flaws. I honestly think the dude got brain damaged from the Burfict hit, he got weird after that happened. Or it could be all that baby momma drama finally getting to him, who knows.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,764

    Re: Hines Ward Ready To See Steelers Just Line Up And Kick Tail, Leaving Drama Behind

    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I had my reservations about Bell, and saw problems coming when he got busted and started making rap songs talking about needing 15 million. Even more so when he made that song 'target' and was like 'people keep talking about the weed, but what about the PEDs'.. I had to shake my head, both of those can get you suspended, and out of the league (look at josh gordon lol).

    Brown I'll have to agree. His work ethic was second to none and he was (still is) a great player. Though was he a team player? He had times (with Vick and Jones) where he pouted when they didn't play up to Ben's level. The whole social media thing in the locker room was a definite wtf moment. Despite this work ethic and ability, he never seemed to emerge as a leader though. His personality was more Santonio Holmes than Hines Ward. He made the splash plays, but never had a way of firing up the troops like Ward did.

    Anyway long story short, Bell I was always iffy about, Brown I thought would have been a career Steeler despite his flaws. I honestly think the dude got brain damaged from the Burfict hit, he got weird after that happened. Or it could be all that baby momma drama finally getting to him, who knows.
    It’s funny you say that. I’ve also wondered if the Burfict hit in particular actually did something to his brain. Ten years ago a theory like that would clearly be nothing but a joke, but after the info that’s come out about personalities being affected by brain injuries... I honestly can’t say it’s impossible

    Don’t get me wrong, I very much doubt is a cartoon-like 180 in personality SOLELY due to brain injury, but it wouldn’t totally surprise me if it had SOME effect.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Gender
    Posts
    1,895

    Re: Hines Ward Ready To See Steelers ‘Just Line Up And Kick Tail’, Leaving Drama Behind

    One thing I noticed early on.....there was no “bleeding Black and Gold” with Brown or Bell.....and I guess that’s okay. Looking at “recent” Steelers who do, Da Beard, Bettis, Ward, Farrior, Miller, Smith, Foster, Batch.....I can go on, but the point is, Brown was thinking up new ways to celebrate in the end zone when he knew the team was going to be penalized 15 yards for it. Bell gets nailed for smoking dope on his way to a game. (Don’t get me wrong either.....the launch into the goalpost by Brown, ( where he didn’t stick the landing), still cracks me up. But the Steelers were never their number one concern.......and I’m so tired of the pundits talking about losing Brown and Bell. We haven’t had Bell as a teammate in two and a half years. He was just a “sub-contracting” running back for 2017 season. A good one, but not invested in the team.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,764

    Re: Hines Ward Ready To See Steelers ‘Just Line Up And Kick Tail’, Leaving Drama Behind

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    One thing I noticed early on.....there was no “bleeding Black and Gold” with Brown or Bell.....and I guess that’s okay. Looking at “recent” Steelers who do, Da Beard, Bettis, Ward, Farrior, Miller, Smith, Foster, Batch.....I can go on, but the point is, Brown was thinking up new ways to celebrate in the end zone when he knew the team was going to be penalized 15 yards for it. Bell gets nailed for smoking dope on his way to a game. (Don’t get me wrong either.....the launch into the goalpost by Brown, ( where he didn’t stick the landing), still cracks me up. But the Steelers were never their number one concern.......and I’m so tired of the pundits talking about losing Brown and Bell. We haven’t had Bell as a teammate in two and a half years. He was just a “sub-contracting” running back for 2017 season. A good one, but not invested in the team.
    The truth is I’m not sure players “Bleed Black and Gold” quite the way the fans ever want them to.

    TD celebrations on the whole probably hype a team up. Brown led by example. Bell was apparently great in the locker room and a motivator on the field. I saw both Bell and Brown be very willing blockers at all time, and never shied away from contact for the sake of their own longevity.

    I’m not saying I like how the handled themselves at the end, but are you really saying that any of our players REALLY care more about the team than themselves the way we care about the team more than the individual players?

    Ben is a lifelong Steeler because we’ve always given him what he wants. I don’t see him offering to take half his salary so that can sign a CJ Mosley in the offseason. Nor am
    I saying he should.

    I also remember people being irritated with Joey Porter and Allen Faneca when they left for more money, and who bled b & j more than them?

    Sure there are levels to professionalism vs. diva-ism. But players simply don’t think the way fans do. Sure the best of them will give their all while they are with the team that pays them, and occasionally give a home town discount - but often that’s in the player’s interest too. It’s a pain to move and switch your kids’ schools - but for the most part that’s where it ends.

    I’m not disagreeing with you about Bell’s and AB’s jackassery towards the end but I don’t think they were bad at being Steelers while they were giving their all for the team.

    I believe if some other team ever offered Da Beard money than the Steelers could match, he would have been gone in a heartbeat, and switched favorite teams just like that as well.

    And that’s as it should be.

    I mean back in the day, we had Steelers suing their own head coach. Was Mel Blount a bad Steeler? Was Jack Lambert when he held out because he felt under appreciated?

    Does shooting at a police helicopter before the Super Bowl make you a bad Steeler? Maybe a little moreso than doing a flip into the end zone? Just maybe?

    The only thing an ex player did that I will NEVER forgive, is what Lagerrette Blount did by walking out on his team DURING a game and almost getting Bell killed because he had to close out the 4th quarter by himself. Now THAT was a bad Steeler.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,764

    Re: Hines Ward Ready To See Steelers ‘Just Line Up And Kick Tail’, Leaving Drama Behind

    To be clear what I’m saying is, once Bell and Brown decided to be jackasses and make themselves a problem it’s TOTALLY fine for the fans to turn on them. We owe them nothing now. They went about leaving in a bad way.

    But that being said, I don’t think it’s fair to rewrite history and say that they weren’t good Steelers while they were producing like crazy for us and balling out.

    I loved them both when they were giving their all for us... and I don’t think it’s even fair to myself as a fan to deny myself the love and cheers I had for them when they were Steelers. And they were both damn good Steelers for awhile.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Gender
    Posts
    3,530

    Re: Hines Ward Ready To See Steelers Just Line Up And Kick Tail, Leaving Drama Behind

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    One thing I noticed early on.....there was no bleeding Black and Gold with Brown or Bell.....and I guess thats okay. Looking at recent Steelers who do, Da Beard, Bettis, Ward, Farrior, Miller, Smith, Foster, Batch.....I can go on, but the point is, Brown was thinking up new ways to celebrate in the end zone when he knew the team was going to be penalized 15 yards for it. Bell gets nailed for smoking dope on his way to a game. (Dont get me wrong either.....the launch into the goalpost by Brown, ( where he didnt stick the landing), still cracks me up. But the Steelers were never their number one concern.......and Im so tired of the pundits talking about losing Brown and Bell. We havent had Bell as a teammate in two and a half years. He was just a sub-contracting running back for 2017 season. A good one, but not invested in the team.
    You know now that you mention this I felt very much the same way. I would let others tell me it's just that I don't get it because I'm old and that it's the way kids are these days. I honestly thought maybe they're right maybe I am just to old for all this stuff.

    AS for Bell I feel he was very much impressed upon by Blount. He's the one who was in the car with him when he got pulled over and it wouldn't surprise me if he was in his head during the whole holdout. I knew when he (Blount) left the team there would be repercussions with Bell and I don't think I am to far off the mark. I also won't be surprised to see Bell with the pats before all is said and done.

    For AB I will always believe the hit by Burfect is what caused his demise as a Steeler. It was the beginning of everything bad and it just never stopped. Hines took some hard hits too, but maybe he is just better at taking a punch IDK.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Gender
    Posts
    3,530

    Re: Hines Ward Ready To See Steelers Just Line Up And Kick Tail, Leaving Drama Behind

    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    To be clear what Im saying is, once Bell and Brown decided to be jackasses and make themselves a problem its TOTALLY fine for the fans to turn on them. We owe them nothing now. They went about leaving in a bad way.

    But that being said, I dont think its fair to rewrite history and say that they werent good Steelers while they were producing like crazy for us and balling out.

    I loved them both when they were giving their all for us... and I dont think its even fair to myself as a fan to deny myself the love and cheers I had for them when they were Steelers. And they were both damn good Steelers for awhile.
    You have a lot going on in your last 2 posts not sure I can sort through it all but I will say this. No leaving the Steelers for more money does not make you a "Bad Steeler". It's the way you go about it. Bell trolled not only the fans but his very own teammates. That is what IMHO makes him a "Bad Steeler". I am glad he didn't take the offer I just don't care for the way he conducted business.

    Brown took what Bell did wrong and kicked it up a notch. He didn't return phone calls from teammates, Coach or owner. He did everything he could to not only force a trade but to force down any trade value the team had for him. He was more of an all out Douche. Bell was more of an idiot who was lead astray where as AB was just a plain A-hole.

    JP was more or less forced off the team due to a coaching change so I don't see how anyone can have a problem with him or even Faneca or the list of others that had left this team for money. Some Steeler fans may, but I am not one of them. Don't mistake that just because we are had on those 2 that we are hard on every Steeler who ever left the team.

    Here is one more thing that others may not agree with me on. James came back into the fold and I believe all is forgiven from a team stand point but I could be wrong. That being said for me he was dead when he was playing for his last time in the NFL. His accomplishments were tarnished, but not so much that I won't remember what he did for this team with appreciation. IMHO he accomplished a lot more than AB or Bell.

    As for what those 2 did as Steelers yes they did Great things at times and those things cannot be forgotten, but they have also been tarnished and stained to the point that they will not be what they once were.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    9,306

    Re: Hines Ward Ready To See Steelers ‘Just Line Up And Kick Tail’, Leaving Drama Behind

    NFL stars want NBA levels of control over where and how they play. That’s basically the exact opposite of what fans want.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    5,993

    Re: Hines Ward Ready To See Steelers ‘Just Line Up And Kick Tail’, Leaving Drama Behind

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    NFL stars want NBA levels of control over where and how they play. That’s basically the exact opposite of what fans want.
    You’re correct that’s what the players want. They see players from the other 3 major sports leagues getting insane contracts and mostly guaranteed contracts to boot. One thing that separates the NFL contract and guarantee-wise is the players in those other sports play both offense and defense for their team. That specifically will never change. Number of players on a roster, hard cap vs soft cap, player’s options for trades and such can all be negotiated in the next CBA. But unless rosters get cut down to around 35 players(11 positions 3deep plus punter and kicker) that play both sides of the ball plus ST, there’s just not enough money to offer ‘NBA max guaranteed type contracts’ to NFL players and the team remain competitive.

    I don’t know how this next CBA gets worked out if the players make a hard stand on guaranteed money contracts.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,764

    Re: Hines Ward Ready To See Steelers Just Line Up And Kick Tail, Leaving Drama Behind

    Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    You have a lot going on in your last 2 posts not sure I can sort through it all but I will say this. No leaving the Steelers for more money does not make you a "Bad Steeler". It's the way you go about it. Bell trolled not only the fans but his very own teammates. That is what IMHO makes him a "Bad Steeler". I am glad he didn't take the offer I just don't care for the way he conducted business.

    Brown took what Bell did wrong and kicked it up a notch. He didn't return phone calls from teammates, Coach or owner. He did everything he could to not only force a trade but to force down any trade value the team had for him. He was more of an all out Douche. Bell was more of an idiot who was lead astray where as AB was just a plain A-hole.

    JP was more or less forced off the team due to a coaching change so I don't see how anyone can have a problem with him or even Faneca or the list of others that had left this team for money. Some Steeler fans may, but I am not one of them. Don't mistake that just because we are had on those 2 that we are hard on every Steeler who ever left the team.

    Here is one more thing that others may not agree with me on. James came back into the fold and I believe all is forgiven from a team stand point but I could be wrong. That being said for me he was dead when he was playing for his last time in the NFL. His accomplishments were tarnished, but not so much that I won't remember what he did for this team with appreciation. IMHO he accomplished a lot more than AB or Bell.

    As for what those 2 did as Steelers yes they did Great things at times and those things cannot be forgotten, but they have also been tarnished and stained to the point that they will not be what they once were.
    Okay, I probably said too much that distracted from my overall point.

    I’m in total agreement with pretty much everything you’re saying, and this might just be semantics, but even though Brown and Bell BECAME bad Steelers, I do believe they were good Steelers for MOST of the time they were with us.

    They deserve to have us turn on them. All good. But I just don’t want to retroactively say that they NEVER met the standards of being “good Steelers.”

    I think our opinions of them changed, and rightly so, when their actions changed.

    Look at it this way. Hines Ward was what we consider to be a good Steeler. What if in his final season he did action X (X being something that makes one a bad Steeler). So fine, now we don’t like Ward and he leaves the team leaving a bad taste in our mouth. All I’m saying is that still means he was a objectively a good Steeler for all the years before that. No matter HOW bad a thing the last thing was. Making a rap video. Not showing up when he promised to. Whatever.
    It certainly might tarnish his legacy but it doesn’t change objective history. He was either a good Steeler before that or he wasn’t.

    What I’m suggesting is, if you look at all the questionable actions “good Steelers” have done in history, I posit that both Bell and Brown were (on whole) good Steelers until they did the thing (or things) that suddenly made them bad Steelers.

    Remember, I agree with you that they did BECOME bad Steelers, but they had years of being good Steelers by whatever standards you also hold Mel Blount, and Jack Lambert, and so many more.

    Did you really dislike both Bell and Brown and 2017? Sure they did things occasionally that weren’t perfect (but no worse than other Steelers whom I’m sure you don’t think of as bad).

    I’m asking honestly, while most of us were marveling at their skill, toughness, work ethic, etc. were you seriously thinking of these guys as bad Steelers?

    In 2015, 2016, or 2017 were you honestly thinking to yourself “AB is a bad Steeler and I’d MUCH rather Hines Ward if I could”?

    Am I crazy to think that’s unlikely?

  15. #15
    Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Gender
    Posts
    1,895

    Re: Hines Ward Ready To See Steelers Just Line Up And Kick Tail, Leaving Drama Behind

    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Okay, I probably said too much that distracted from my overall point.

    I’m in total agreement with pretty much everything you’re saying, and this might just be semantics, but even though Brown and Bell BECAME bad Steelers, I do believe they were good Steelers for MOST of the time they were with us.

    They deserve to have us turn on them. All good. But I just don’t want to retroactively say that they NEVER met the standards of being “good Steelers.”

    I think our opinions of them changed, and rightly so, when their actions changed.

    Look at it this way. Hines Ward was what we consider to be a good Steeler. What if in his final season he did action X (X being something that makes one a bad Steeler). So fine, now we don’t like Ward and he leaves the team leaving a bad taste in our mouth. All I’m saying is that still means he was a objectively a good Steeler for all the years before that. No matter HOW bad a thing the last thing was. Making a rap video. Not showing up when he promised to. Whatever.
    It certainly might tarnish his legacy but it doesn’t change objective history. He was either a good Steeler before that or he wasn’t.

    What I’m suggesting is, if you look at all the questionable actions “good Steelers” have done in history, I posit that both Bell and Brown were (on whole) good Steelers until they did the thing (or things) that suddenly made them bad Steelers.

    Remember, I agree with you that they did BECOME bad Steelers, but they had years of being good Steelers by whatever standards you also hold Mel Blount, and Jack Lambert, and so many more.

    Did you really dislike both Bell and Brown and 2017? Sure they did things occasionally that weren’t perfect (but no worse than other Steelers whom I’m sure you don’t think of as bad).

    I’m asking honestly, while most of us were marveling at their skill, toughness, work ethic, etc. were you seriously thinking of these guys as bad Steelers?

    In 2015, 2016, or 2017 were you honestly thinking to yourself “AB is a bad Steeler and I’d MUCH rather Hines Ward if I could”?

    Am I crazy to think that’s unlikely?
    If I had a choice right now....given what I know about both players, I would take Ward in his prime over AB in his. Brown and Bell are great players, but not great Steelers and not terrible Steelers. Have not seen either one of them vested in the Pittsburgh community the way guys like Smith, Keisel, and even JuJu at his young age. I’m not saying that that’s the only thing that makes a good Steeler, but just look at the goofy things they both have done to make the organization look bad, whether intentional or not. As I said before, AB openly said that he didn’t care what the consequences were from his end zone celebrations. I guarantee you, if there was a TD return from kicking off from the 15, this board would have blown up. *******Just watched the goal post mount again****** Can’t help laughing. Of all AB’s silliness that’s by far my favorite.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    9,044

    Re: Hines Ward Ready To See Steelers ‘Just Line Up And Kick Tail’, Leaving Drama Behind


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •