Thread: How many CBs make the 53?

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

How many CBs make the 53?

There looks to be some interesting battles in camp this year. Mark Barron vs Vince Williams...Tyler Matakevich vs Ulysses Gilbert...and on the offensive side? Who will be the #2 WR? Can Mason Rudolph beat out Dobbs? Do they keep Switzer or Rogers? Can Gentry be a #2 TE? Who wins the RT job? I can't remember a time so many positions were open for competition.

With all that being said, cornerback is what I'm most intrigued with. Haden is the only sure thing, IMO. Hilton has been solid, but if Sutton shows enough improvement, it's not crazy to think he takes Hilton's job. Then we have Artie Burns...has all the tools to be a great cornerback, but he doesn't like to tackle and too many mental errors. I believe Burns and Brian Allen will be competing for a spot. I would love for Allen to show some promise and boot Burns off the roster. Layne is a similar player to Allen. Both long guys who played some WR. It'd be a dream come true to have Allen and Layne on the outside playing press coverage, while Watt and company wreak havoc on QBs, but that's an unlikely scenario. Enough rambling though. Here are my predictions...
    1. Haden 2. Nelson 3. Hilton 4. Layne 5. Sutton 6. Allen

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: How many CBs make the 53?

anything is possible, but I think the Steelers only keep 5 CBs with Brian Allen the one getting cut.

the wildcard of course is Artie Burnt, he'll need a very strong camp and preseason to make the final roster.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

If they keep only two TEs (and Samuels is the “emergency” TE), then they could keep six CBs.

Considering that there is “talk” of Haden eventually switching to FS, they just might want to keep that extra CB.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

What if they only keep 2 QBs, while keeping Roback on the practice squad?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

When was the last time the Steelers carried only two QBs? Not going to happen.

When's the last time they only kept 2 TEs?

- - - Updated - - -

It's not likely they keep 6 CBs. That's probably right. I just don't want to see Allen get cut. At 6'3 with that kind of speed, they could at least use him as a gunner. None of the WRs we have on the roster are defensive special teams guys. Which is kinda why I thought it's more likely we keep 6 CBs. Allen and Layne as potential gunners.

Senior Member Array title="Hound is a jewel in the rough">

Haden, Nelson and Layne are all locks. Hilton and Sutton are most likely on the 53.Allen and Burns appear to be battling for the final spot. I personally think the 53 depends upon what shakes up on the O Line. Hoping the Steelers are able to trade a tackle and get some compensation instead of letting a quality player hit the streets for nothing

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    anything is possible, but I think the Steelers only keep 5 CBs with Brian Allen the one getting cut.

the wildcard of course is Artie Burnt, he'll need a very strong camp and preseason to make the final roster.
    Five or six. I'd settle for 4 guys who can play and 2 soldi special teams guys for kick coverage. Right now our corners are a question mark, and none of them are fast outside of say Allen who won't be playing.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Right now our corners are a question mark, and none of them are fast outside of say Allen who won't be playing.
    Artie Burns ran a faster 40 at the NFL Combine than Brian Allen.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I will hope for 6. My question is where is the 'Dimebacker' listed? As an ILB? CB? Safety? If this is going to be Marcus Allen then most likely an extra box safety? So maybe the numbers at each position looks different depending on who's playing the Dimebacker role? Could this be a position where Burns shines? Maybe gets Smith or Gilbert defensive snaps? I just don't know.

Artie Burns isn't a dime backer. He's an outside CB only. Pretty limited in what he can do, imo. He's just not physical enough.

- - - Updated - - -

I could see Marcus Allem playing the comebacker role. I could also see Mark Baaron or Devin Bush playing those role as well.

Senior Member Array title="Hound is a jewel in the rough">

Exactly, the Steelers will be using more nickel with the addition of Bush and Barron

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Artie Burns ran a faster 40 at the NFL Combine than Brian Allen.
    Burns - 4.46
    Allen - 4.48
    Layne- 4.50

Still, none of those guys is in the top 4 rotation at CB right now. So if they keep 5, Layne makes it(is a lock IMO), and if they keep 6 its Artie Burns (unless cap $ can be saved by releasing early). Brian Allen isn't an NFL corner and may be better served getting reps in a developmental league.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Burns - 4.46
    Allen - 4.48
    Layne- 4.50

Still, none of those guys is in the top 4 rotation at CB right now. So if they keep 5, Layne makes it(is a lock IMO), and if they keep 6 its Artie Burns (unless cap $ can be saved by releasing early). Brian Allen isn't an NFL corner and may be better served getting reps in a developmental league.
    Allen should’ve been moved to safety. I think Burns beats him out for a roster spot.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Allen should’ve been moved to safety. I think Burns beats him out for a roster spot.
    I think you are right that Burns might beat out Brian Allen for the last CB spot. I don't know if trying to convert a CB, to Safety, that is already a WR that was converted to CB is worth the hassle.

They took a 5th round flier on a guy they thought might pan out to be an Eric Rowe type big CB, but it doesn't look like its working out. No big deal. Enter Justin Layne as the next CB hopeful.

Allen has done nothing to warrant a roster spot, but he makes the team because there's no WRs on the roster that look like kick and punt coverage guys. I think Allen is a guy that can fill that role.