Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team speed

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Team speed

Do we have enough of it at defense back and the offensive skill positions?

Is it a minor weakness going into the season?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Team speed

I only thought it was a problem at ILB, but not so much now that we broke up the Williams-Bostic duo.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I only thought it was a problem at ILB, but not so much now that we broke up the Williams-Bostic duo.
    Agreed. A weakness has turned into a strength.

But “team speed” has more than one aspect to it. I believe our secondary will also be faster, not because the players themselves somehow reduced their 40 times, but because the game itself will slow down considerably for Edmunds in his second season, which will allow him to “play” much faster.

Now that Edmunds can think
    Less and react faster, it will euaye to more effective schemes being run at hi speed

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Ben think that the defense is fast....

Ben loves what he’s seeing from upgraded, aggressive defense

"From the spring, I was excited," Roethlisberger was saying. "They were flying around. I know we’ve said things like that in the past, but just to see how fast guys are moving, covering from secondary guys to linebackers, d-line, ... it felt like even on a simple run play, where the way we play and coach is to let the runners run, right, so you can get some pursuit. It felt like all 11 guys on defense were getting to the runner, getting to a receiver.

"It just feels like there’s more energy over there, and I’m excited to see (it) — and I know they’re waiting to get pads on, because that is kind of the exclamation point to a defense. … But I’m excited for them, because they seem to be a really fast defense.”

Yeah, Mr. Roethlisberger. The defense was indeed excited to put on the pads:

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Ben think that the defense is fast....

Ben loves what he’s seeing from upgraded, aggressive defense

"From the spring, I was excited," Roethlisberger was saying. "They were flying around. I know we’ve said things like that in the past, but just to see how fast guys are moving, covering from secondary guys to linebackers, d-line, ... it felt like even on a simple run play, where the way we play and coach is to let the runners run, right, so you can get some pursuit. It felt like all 11 guys on defense were getting to the runner, getting to a receiver.

"It just feels like there’s more energy over there, and I’m excited to see (it) — and I know they’re waiting to get pads on, because that is kind of the exclamation point to a defense. … But I’m excited for them, because they seem to be a really fast defense.”

Yeah, Mr. Roethlisberger. The defense was indeed excited to put on the pads:

Good hit but that TE makes Jesse James look fast lol

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Good hit but that TE makes Jesse James look fast lol
    and the offensive player had a gain of 9 yards!

I hope that Barron is not the next Mike Mitchell where many of his tackles was after a good gain of the opponents ... This play, even if it ended with a huge hit by the defensive player, it was still a positive play by the offense!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

'Everybody can run': Steelers' defense chases greatness with speed

Jul 31, 2019
    Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- Defensive tackle Javon Hargrave is listed at 305 pounds, so he's proud of his 4.93-second 40 time from the 2016 NFL scouting combine.

Behind him, he'll have at least five Pittsburgh Steelers defenders who run a sub-4.5 40-yard dash.

"Everybody [on this defense] can run," Hargrave said. "There are a lot of fast offensive guys, so we need speed to chase them down."

The days of the Steel Curtain are over. This is the Steel Pursuit.

to read rest of article:

https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh...ess-with-speed

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Heyward, Alualu, Watt, Dupree, Bush, Barron, Haden, Burns, and Edmunds makes 9 first round picks currently on the defense. 7 have a decent shot at being week 1 starters.(Barring injuries to guys in front of them) Tuitt, and Davis were 2nd round picks.

Means nothing of course, just an interesting trivial fact.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Heyward, Alualu, Watt, Dupree, Bush, Barron, Haden, Burns, and Edmunds makes 9 first round picks currently on the defense. 7 have a decent shot at being week 1 starters.(Barring injuries to guys in front of them) Tuitt, and Davis were 2nd round picks.

Means nothing of course, just an interesting trivial fact.
    I would think it means we should have a good defense this season.

unless Butler continues to cover other teams #1 WRs with ILBs of course

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I would think it means we should have a good defense this season.

unless Butler continues to cover other teams #1 WRs with ILBs of course
    Maybe he'll do that again,just in the hope of being fired and able to play Golf.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Team speed is important, but knowing how to play, where to play is so much more important. Basically coaching is way more important than speed. You can have the fastest players in the league but if they have no idea where to lineup speed will mean nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Team speed is important, but knowing how to play, where to play is so much more important. Basically coaching is way more important than speed. You can have the fastest players in the league but if they have no idea where to lineup speed will mean nothing.
    And putting players in the position of having success is also very important...Bush was against JuJu in practice today and couple time in the last few days

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

And putting players in the position of having success is also very important...Bush was against JuJu in practice today and couple time in the last few days

I'm not sure what you wanted the defense to do in this situation? Bush followed a receiver that came through his zone. If anything, #38 and #34 left Bush hanging by not doing much of anything until it was too late. #34 could have closed faster on the QB and #38 could have decided to either stay on the one side of the field or follow Juju and Bush into the far corner, instead of doing neither.

Two things to consider:
    1. It is training camp and the whole scenario may have been designed to test out specific formations, packages, calls, and alignments. Even less than ideal ones.
    2. If you want a DB on any and all WR, then you are almost NEVER going to have your base defense on the field. Teams are in 3-4 WR sets almost by default now. Last stat I saw said even "bad" teams were doing it around half the time and elite offenses were in 11 personnel about 3/4 of the time. Maybe defenses should always be in nickel and dime, but you have to practice your base defense against 3+ receiver sets. If you can ONLY play sub-packages against this look, some clever team is going to line up in that formation and then run it right down your throat. Or at least that is the thinking.

And I agree with you that the Steelers defense has been a joke against 4-5 WR sets for several seasons now. But I'm not ready to automatically assume a WR/LB match-up is totally unacceptable. Modern NFL offenses (think Rams, Chiefs, Saints, Steelers, Pats, etc) are designed to make you put a LB or a SS on someone you did not want to have covering them. It is going to happen and happen often. Hard to tell in the video, but it looks like that might have been a sub-package defense with at least one extra DB on the field. Bottom line, if Bush gets snaps in the nickel or the dime, you are going to see him on slot WRs and/or TEs -- there is simply no way around that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I'm not sure what you wanted the defense to do in this situation? Bush followed a receiver that came through his zone. If anything, #38 and #34 left Bush hanging by not doing much of anything until it was too late. #34 could have closed faster on the QB and #38 could have decided to either stay on the one side of the field or follow Juju and Bush into the far corner, instead of doing neither.

Two things to consider:
    1. It is training camp and the whole scenario may have been designed to test out specific formations, packages, calls, and alignments. Even less than ideal ones.
    2. If you want a DB on any and all WR, then you are almost NEVER going to have your base defense on the field. Teams are in 3-4 WR sets almost by default now. Last stat I saw said even "bad" teams were doing it around half the time and elite offenses were in 11 personnel about 3/4 of the time. Maybe defenses should always be in nickel and dime, but you have to practice your base defense against 3+ receiver sets. If you can ONLY play sub-packages against this look, some clever team is going to line up in that formation and then run it right down your throat. Or at least that is the thinking.

And I agree with you that the Steelers defense has been a joke against 4-5 WR sets for several seasons now. But I'm not ready to automatically assume a WR/LB match-up is totally unacceptable. Modern NFL offenses (think Rams, Chiefs, Saints, Steelers, Pats, etc) are designed to make you put a LB or a SS on someone you did not want to have covering them. It is going to happen and happen often. Hard to tell in the video, but it looks like that might have been a sub-package defense with at least one extra DB on the field. Bottom line, if Bush gets snaps in the nickel or the dime, you are going to see him on slot WRs and/or TEs -- there is simply no way around that.
    Defenses must put the right personal on the field to put the chances of success on your side

I mean, when it's against 4 or 5 WR, a defense must put 6 or 7 DB(Cam Sutton has a very good camp, if he continues in the games it will help a lot the Steelers) on the field with 4 or 5 defensive lineman and linebackers combined ... Bush does not need to leave the field in this situation but you must not put him against the best WR of the opponent, no matter what

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Two things to consider:

The paradox is many seem to want LBs that can cover but don't want to see LBs in coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The paradox is many seem to want LBs that can cover but don't want to see LBs in coverage.
    We just don't want Bush or other ILB(or OLB) against the best WR of the other team!(like last year against Mike Evans,A.J Green,Keenan Allen,Michael Thomas,etc)Even the great Ray Lewis would not have been good against the best WR of the opponent, even in his prime

If you put a linebacker against the best WR of the other team, give him at least a little help to him, like double coverage or something like that, otherwise it will always be an automatic first down for the opponent!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Defenses must put the right personal on the field to put the chances of success on your side

I mean, when it's against 4 or 5 WR, a defense must put 6 or 7 DB(Cam Sutton has a very good camp, if he continues in the games it will help a lot the Steelers) on the field with 4 or 5 defensive lineman and linebackers combined ... Bush does not need to leave the field in this situation but you must not put him against the best WR of the opponent, no matter what
    You need t put it in context to. You have no idea what they coaches are asking of the players. That coverage may have been on purpose for the offensive sakeor it may have been a test for Bush. It’s training camp...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    You need t put it in context to. You have no idea what they coaches are asking of the players. That coverage may have been on purpose for the offensive sakeor it may have been a test for Bush. It’s training camp...
    I hope so, but we saw that in some game last year in the regular season

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

You can only make so many switches and pre-snap moves before you just have to go. If the slot WR moves across the field and the TE or RB goes up the seam on that side of the field, you are going to have to pass the WR off as they come across and run with the TE and/or RB. I have no idea what was going on in the clip from this training camp and the refusal of the defense to adjust in 2018 to their total inability to defend multi WR sets is ludicrous. But the 2019 PIttsburgh Steelers are going to have LBs covering WRs. That is just the NFL in 2019. SO I guess they better practice for that.

You can only make so many switches and pre-snap moves before you just have to go. If the slot WR moves across the field and the TE or RB goes up the seam on that side of the field, you are going to have to pass the WR off as they come across and run with the TE and/or RB. I have no idea what was going on in the clip from this training camp and the refusal of the defense to adjust in 2018 to their total inability to defend multi WR sets is ludicrous. But the 2019 PIttsburgh Steelers are going to have LBs covering WRs. That is just the NFL in 2019. SO I guess they better practice for that.
    If you are in the man to man situation, the players must follow the player who must cover, no matter the place of the field, otherwise it would be too easy for the opponents when they have too many mismatch.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

I honestly think that sometimes fans expect way to much and just assume because its their favorite team that they are supposed to win every single match up and game. PB, you do realize that the other teams do things to your defense to make you cover guys that you normally wouldn't cover right? Football is NOT a static sport, its dynamic and constantly changing. I know you know this, but it seems you like to be intentionally obtuse on this subject.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I agree with this. I'd rather see them push Bush in camp and try these experiments NOW instead of October. As 86Ward said maybe this was designed to show Bush just how fast a top receiver is and what he might be thrown into.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Everyone remembers Leon Lett getting stripped (of a sure TD) in the Super Bowl. Ha, ha... so funny... what an idiot!!!

No one remembers that Leon Lett might have been one of the best interior D-lineman in the NFL during his tenure.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Everyone remembers Leon Lett getting stripped (of a sure TD) in the Super Bowl. Ha, ha... so funny... what an idiot!!!

No one remembers that Leon Lett might have been one of the best interior D-lineman in the NFL during his tenure.

This blunders was even worse, especially because of the timing of the moment!

The mistake of Lett in the Super Bowl, the game was over, so it was funny for them, but his mistake against the Dolphins, one of the worst blunders in sports history!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

This blunders was even worse, especially because of the timing of the moment!

The mistake of Lett in the Super Bowl, the game was over, so it was funny for them, but his mistake against the Dolphins, one of the worst blunders in sports history!

I absolutely remember that game; it’s all that we were talking about during Thanksgiving.

That said, only a select few remember that fiasco. Whereas, everyone & their mother remembers his Super Bowl snafu.

One thing is certain, when I go to watch other teams' NFL games this year, I will pay attention if it happens often to see a LB against a WR (especially if this WR is the best in their team)

If it happens often(even to the good defense), I'll apologize to Keith Butler, otherwise it's a big problem for the steelers.

And when I talk often, I do not talk about just 1 play or 2 in a game and also I do not think it happens often to the team that they have a good defense with a very good coach, but we will see that this year.

One thing is certain, when I go to watch other teams' NFL games this year, I will pay attention if it happens often to see a LB against a WR (especially if this WR is the best in their team)

If it happens often(even to the good defense), I'll apologize to Keith Butler, otherwise it's a big problem for the steelers.

And when I talk often, I do not talk about just 1 play or 2 in a game and also I do not think it happens often to the team that they have a good defense with a very good coach, but we will see that this year.
    OR....just pay attention to the defenses the Steelers go against for LBs in coverage vs rushing the passer.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I'm not sure what you wanted the defense to do in this situation? Bush followed a receiver that came through his zone. .
    Looks like man coverage to me, not zone. The WR on the right side of the offensive formation slants right across the formation and the corner runs with him. There is also a blitz on the near side, so considering its a sell out blitz on goal line, I would expect to see man coverage as the blitz should get to the QB.

Good pickup of blitz by the offense or poor job of getting to the QB on the blitz. Its a tough cover for a LB if a play is gonna last that long and not get to the QB.