Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Ben on the verge of being most sacked QB in NFL history

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Big Ben on the verge of being most sacked QB in NFL history

Interesting thought. Did those leaky o-lines early actually help Ben become "Big Ben"? Did being forced early in his career to improvise behind questionable pass protection allow him to accelerate his NFL learning curve and become comfortable with "improvisation" or would he have always become a "gunslinger" in the (Mark Schelereth voice) NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Interesting thought. Did those leaky o-lines early actually help Ben become "Big Ben"? Did being forced early in his career to improvise behind questionable pass protection allow him to accelerate his NFL learning curve and become comfortable with "improvisation" or would he have always become a "gunslinger" in the (Mark Schelereth voice) NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE?
    Maybe, but for many QB, it would have ruined their confidence.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I would say no. In Ben's first few seasons, he had O lines with quality guys like Marvel Smith, Alan Faneca, Jeff Hartings (all 3 were pro bowl caliber), Kendall Simmons, Max Starks, Willie Colon. He was the "extend the play" improviser from the start in the NFL.

I would say that his early success and physical stature gave him the "Big Ben" persona and when Whiz left at OC, the next man up liked a lot of 5 and 7 step drop passing plays that "Big Ben" liked to stand in a bit too long at times and get hit with some frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I would say no. In Ben's first few seasons, he had O lines with quality guys like Marvel Smith, Alan Faneca, Jeff Hartings (all 3 were pro bowl caliber), Kendall Simmons, Max Starks, Willie Colon. He was the "extend the play" improviser from the start in the NFL.

I would say that his early success and physical stature gave him the "Big Ben" persona and when Whiz left at OC, the next man up liked a lot of 5 and 7 step drop passing plays that "Big Ben" liked to stand in a bit too long at times and get hit with some frequency.
    The o-line in its first 2 first years was great for the run blocking, but average at best for the pass blocking ... This o-line was built for the CowherBall.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The o-line in its first 2 first years was great for the run blocking, but average at best for the pass blocking ... This o-line was built for the CowherBall.
    OK, I guess you are saying that Faneca, Marvel Smith, Jeff Hartings (all who went to multiple pro bowls each), Kendall Simmons and Max Starks were all average/poor pass protectors.

The only one on that list that I recall were not that athletic and had issues in pass protection, was Max Starks.

This o-line was not built to pass 40 times in a game .... Maybe they were not bad, but their strength was the running game, which was a great fit for the Cowherball

This o-line was not built to pass 40 times in a game .... Maybe they were not bad, but their strength was the running game, which was a great fit for the Cowherball
    No offensive lineman wants to pass protect 40 times a game. Pass protection by its very nature is a passive block, as opposed to the aggressive block of a running play. All that being said, I think the 2005 O line was better suited in the pass game than the 2018 Steelers O line.

-Marvel Smith and Big Al are both rather athletic pass protecting LT's
    -DeCastro and Faneca, both athletic enough to pull in the run game and pass protect (I honestly thing Faneca was a better pass blocker than Decastro, as he even played LT in a bind)
    -Pouncey and Hartings were both tough and athletic enough to handle interior rushers, but Pouncey more athletic in the run game
    -Foster is more heavy footed than Kendall Simmons was and doesn't have the feet to handle inside counters moves, nor pull in run game like Kendall Simmons
    -As much as I wasn't a huge fan of Max Starks, he was a better pass protector than Matt Feiler

Doesn't matter if it was Running game of Whiz or Pass game of Fichtner...that 2005 O line in Ben's 2nd season was better suited to pass protect than the 2018 Steelers O line.

I know that sacks do not always tell the true story and Ben pass more quickly that it was the case with Ken Whisenhunt as OC but Ben was sacked at a 7.9% back in 2005 ... It was 9.2% in 2004 and 8.9% in 2006, but of course it was a horrible year for the entire team ... For 2018 it was at 3.4%

So yes I know that his numbers do not say everything, since Ben pass more quickly and the playbook is different too, but it's still a big difference and we can not blame it on Bruce Arians since he was only our WR coach at this time!

I know that sacks do not always tell the true story and Ben pass more quickly that it was the case with Ken Whisenhunt as OC but Ben was sacked at a 7.9% back in 2005 ... It was 9.2% in 2004 and 8.9% in 2006, but of course it was a horrible year for the entire team ... For 2018 it was at 3.4%

So yes I know that his numbers do not say everything, since Ben pass more quickly and the playbook is different too, but it's still a big difference and we can not blame it on Bruce Arians since he was only our WR coach at this time!
    I agree, the first few seasons Ben was backyard Ben that exended plays and likely took sacks rather then throw the football away. That O line wasn't the problem. The problems were legit when Faneca left, Hartings retired, Smiths back acted up and Simmons moved on. That opened the doors for the likes of Essex, Kemo, Hartwig, Darnell Stapleton. Ben still tried to be that guy to extend the play and got beat up because of it.

My point is that it wasn't the lack of a good O line that made Ben hang onto the football too long and try to extend plays. It was Ben's desire to play that way and try to be like his childhood hero, Elway.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I agree, the first few seasons Ben was backyard Ben that exended plays and likely took sacks rather then throw the football away. That O line wasn't the problem. The problems were legit when Faneca left, Hartings retired, Smiths back acted up and Simmons moved on. That opened the doors for the likes of Essex, Kemo, Hartwig, Darnell Stapleton. Ben still tried to be that guy to extend the play and got beat up because of it.

My point is that it wasn't the lack of a good O line that made Ben hang onto the football too long and try to extend plays. It was Ben's desire to play that way and try to be like his childhood hero, Elway.
    Good point,but I miss the backyard Ben!

Good point,but I miss the backyard Ben!

Hell yeah, was fun to watch and especially great when he was a young kid still learning to read NFL defenses. Have to remember that he only played QB for around 1 year in highschool and 3 in college, as he came out a junior I seem to recall. Still, I like seeing the growth and maturation to where he sees the back shoulder throw because of the coverage, instead of running around until he "sees" the WR open.