Thread: Colbert Listed As NFL’s 5th Best GM

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Colbert Listed As NFL’s 5th Best GM

Last month, we wrote about Rotoworld ranking Kevin Colbert in the top three of all GMs. While NJ.com didn’t put Colbert on their podium, he does still sit in the top five. The website ranked all 32 general managers in the game, settling on 5th place for the man running the Pittsburgh Steelers.

In their overview of him, author Darryl Slater wrote:

“He has an excellent track record with the Steelers since 2000, but we aren’t so sure about some of his recent moves, including the departures of Antonio Brown (trade) and Le’Veon Bell (free agency) this offseason. Still, he does have those two Super Bowl titles, and has won despite never spending a ton of money in free agency.”

Overall, a fair assessment from an outside perspective. Losing Brown and Bell are obviously moves not to be doing cartwheels over but in hindsight, they make sense. Brown wanted out and keeping him simply wasn’t an option. Though the trade return was underwhelming, it gave Pittsburgh the ammunition to make a rare and bold first round trade, moving up ten spots to select Devin Bush. So the draft capital was at least well spent.

Bell simply came down to money. We can debate over the particulars of the contract he received with the Jets, the amount of guaranteed money and if sitting out last year was worth it. But it’s also fair to say he got less money than what he wanted from the Steelers and expected to receive once he hit the market. James Conner isn’t of Bell’s caliber but the difference in money, Conner still cheap on his rookie deal, makes it difficult to be mad at Colbert for not giving in to Bell’s demands.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/co...s-5th-best-gm/

munchy

Re: Colbert Listed As NFL’s 5th Best GM

i would agree with the ranking
    he totally f'ed up the brown deal and almost f'ed up the bell deal(by actually making him those contract offers) but the guy puts better than league average talent on the filed every year, doesnt put us in cap hell, and doesnt wager our future on ridiculous contracts or trading away picks.
    he consistantly messes up less than other GMs, by far

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

since the author didn't list Colbert as a top 4 GM it looks like I'll just have to go on a personal attack against that mean bad author...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

How long before the first preseason game?!?!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    since the author didn't list Colbert as a top 4 GM it looks like I'll just have to go on a personal attack against that mean bad author...

That no good SOB is going down!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    How long before the first preseason game?!?!

It can't come soon enough.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    That no good SOB is going down!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I'm listed as the 11,182nd best Steeler forum participator in online history

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I'm listed as the 11,182nd best Steeler forum participator in online history
    yeah, I saw that. right behind Crash and Tim Lumber.

I think you should be a couple of spots higher

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    yeah, I saw that. right behind Crash and Tim Lumber.
    That sounds like the makings for a ScyFy made-for-TV movie:

The Ten-WR Set vs. The Owl-Dog Sweater

Kevin Colbert inches toward G.M. free agency

Posted by Mike Florio on July 26, 2019

The Steelers unquestionably have become excellent at finding talent. The man primarily responsible for doing so could be taking his talents elsewhere next year.

G.M. Kevin Colbert’s contract runs through the 2020 draft. As explained by Ed Bouchette of TheAthletic.com, Colbert didn’t get an extension on the same day coach Mike Tomlin received his latest new deal. Bouchette adds that Colbert has told the team he prefers to go year to year.

to read rest of article:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...m-free-agency/

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Colbert has been pretty solid for the most part, except being able to draft DBs. I don't understand all the hate he gets tbh

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Colbert has been pretty solid for the most part, except being able to draft DBs. I don't understand all the hate he gets tbh
    One of the best and underrated GM in the league...Not easy to be good for 20 years in the NFL.