Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't blame Ben Roethlisberger for Steelers' failures against Patriots

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Don't blame Ben Roethlisberger for Steelers' failures against Patriots

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Actually, that's not correct. Steelers went into the Pats* stadium with a man-to-man game plan. And, the first three times they implemented it, they were burned bad because they didn't have the CB skill (issue was actually William Gay at the end of his career). So, they had to switch back to zone. Since then, we've played them twice. In the first game, Brady threw 1 TD and 1 INT. He 22/35 for 298 yards and 2 sacks. Only reason we lost that game was because of the catch rule that was changed after that. In the second game, Brady was 25/36 for 279 yards. I TD and 1 INT again.

To me, it looks as though we had a problem with CBs and then we moved to fix the problem and in the two years since then, we should have been 2-0 while keeping Brady pretty much under control.
    Even if something does not work after 3 play, it's not a reason to give up!

I mean, not a reason to play the zone in the entire game when you know that the zone has never worked against Brady, whether the steelers or other teams .... I would have preferred that the coaches continue to try than to give up even if it is unlikely that the result would have been different .... It was too early to give up after 3 bad play!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I love the sentiment, but what exactly do you think is special about the Steelers that makes things inevitable? How are we better than the Patriots as an organization moving forward? The coaching? The ownership? The uniforms?
    Definitely the uniforms. That shouldn't even need to be said. But it's not "sentiment" at all. It's a fact. Go all the way back to the beginning of this current SB era and only the Steelers have remained relevant throughout that history. What makes me think it will continue seems to be your question in a nutshell. 5 decades of history is my answer in a nutshell. I don't predict future events like SB championships or AFC titles or division titles, but the Steelers will remain relevant and in the conversation for those feats into the future. I don't know what you mean by inevitable, it just simply is the way it is. Unless you have some new info like a re-alignment putting the Steelers in the WEST division where we have struggled.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Ben Roethlisberger has perfect response to Steelers' struggles vs. Patriots

By Nick Goss
    December 11, 2018

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/pat...es-vs-patriots

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Ben Roethlisberger has perfect response to Steelers' struggles vs. Patriots

By Nick Goss
    December 11, 2018

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/pat...es-vs-patriots
    Eli Manning,Joe Flacco(Between 2009 to 2012) and even Peyton Manning(3-2 in the playoffs against Brady and 3-0 in his last 3 playoffs games)!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

In 11 trips to the playoffs since 2007(per benchmark of the article).

2007 - Lost to Giants in SB
    2008 - Did not make playoffs
    2009 - Lost to Ravens in WC round
    2010 - Lost to Jets in division round
    2011 - Lost to Giants in SB
    2012 - Lost to Ravens in AFCC
    2013 - Lost to Broncos in AFCC
    2014 - Won SB vs Seattle(should have ran the ball)
    2015 - Lost to Broncos in AFCC
    2016 - Won SB in OT vs Falcons(1 first down and Falcons win)
    2017 - Lost to Eagles in SB
    2018 - Won vs Rams in SB(no Todd Gurley)

Not quite as dominant as we have been led to believe when you look at it. The Steelers are close and usually competitive.

Steelers have only met the Patriots once in the playoffs since 2007. In 2016 the Pats won 36-17. Seems to be a 0-1 playoff record in that timeline. EASILY remedied. HERE WE GO!

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    In 11 trips to the playoffs since 2007(per benchmark of the article).

2007 - Lost to Giants in SB
    2008 - Did not make playoffs
    2009 - Lost to Ravens in WC round
    2010 - Lost to Jets in division round
    2011 - Lost to Giants in SB
    2012 - Lost to Ravens in AFCC
    2013 - Lost to Broncos in AFCC
    2014 - Won SB vs Seattle(should have ran the ball)
    2015 - Lost to Broncos in AFCC
    2016 - Won SB in OT vs Falcons(1 first down and Falcons win)
    2017 - Lost to Eagles in SB
    2018 - Won vs Rams in SB(no Todd Gurley)

Not quite as dominant as we have been led to believe when you look at it. The Steelers are close and usually competitive.

Steelers have only met the Patriots once in the playoffs since 2007. In 2016 the Pats won 36-17. Seems to be a 0-1 playoff record in that timeline. EASILY remedied. HERE WE GO!
    They have 9 AFC title games, including 8 in the last 8 years and 6 super bowl games in this period

I know, they have not always crushed their opponent in the playoffs and they have been lucky sometimes, but they have always been in the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    They have 9 AFC title games, including 8 in the last 8 years and 6 super bowl games in this period

I know, they have not always crushed their opponent in the playoffs and they have been lucky sometimes, but they have always been in the hunt.
    What have they done vs the Steelers in the playoffs? 1-0! Is that dominance?

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    What have they done vs the Steelers in the playoffs? 1-0! Is that dominance?
    I know we played the Pats only once in the playoffs in the Tomlin era (it was a blowout) but before the last two games, his games against the Patriots(regular season and playoffs) were often tough to watch to start to finish for every steelers fan!