Thread: Who is the greatest back up QB in Pittsburgh Steelers history?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Who is the greatest back up QB in Pittsburgh Steelers history?

Competitive people want to compete. Athletics represent competition at it's purist form. Nobody wants a player who is thrilled to sit and watch. That would better describe a fan than a player.

Quality depth on a football team is made up of talented individuals who compete for playing time and in the process drive the starters to perform at the best of their abilities. As the old saying goes, back ups are one play away from being a starter. Therefore, your back up players should have starter qualities, in a perfect world. That statement would be true for every position, with maybe one exception. Quarterback.

Truly effective back up QBs are a unique breed. They are expected to prepare each week as if they are going to see action, knowing all too well that nobody in the whole stadium, outside of maybe their own family, wants to see them in the game. If they are required to enter the contest then chances are something bad has happened to the starting QB, outside of taking over for mop up duty.

They need to have some starting qualities, but not enough to actually challenge the starter. If they do, a quarterback controversy is sure to materialize. There has to be a clear pecking order to prevent such a situation. A QB controversy can fracture a locker room and splinter a fanbase. While it may appear advantageous to have a Steve Young or Aaron Rodgers waiting in the wings, this scenario can lead to some rather ugly divorces. We all understand that the NFL is a business, but franchises are built on their legacies. Legends have been impacted negatively by similar situations that where handled incorrectly.

read more

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...twich-nfl-news

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Who is the greatest back up QB in Pittsburgh Steelers history?

Charlie Batch. No one will ever know how much he taught Ben and humbled him. I was at the game in Baltimore when he won the game when Ben was hurt, and he cried in Ben’s shoulder. Still love Batch. Came down to Richmond twice for the Farrior Foundation weekend. He gets my vote l

- - - Updated - - -

.....of course in his prime he was a starter.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Batch

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Sheer talent? Leftwich, Rudolph, Stewart, or Gilliam. Actually winning? Batch.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Has to be Batch. That’s the job of a backup: just get the win, doesn’t have to be pretty.

Rudolph and Dobbs I don’t really see as backups, they’re more like aspiring starters.

gradkowski might have been a solid backup, similar to Batch, if it weren’t for his injuries

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Big Ben.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Len Dawson

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I guess I would go with Batch too. He meant more in terms of wins than any other Steeler backup I can think of. Joe Gillium was obviously the most talented ever. But while he had some great games he also put in some real clunkers.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Bubby Brister. And I'm being serious, he could have produced more had he a better supporting cast. He was pretty impressive when he had that (pretty much was undefeated as Denver's backup QB when Elway was down). During his time in Pittsburgh we were pretty much a run first, run second team. Other than Louis Lipps we had Dwight Stonehands. The only other reliable receiver was Merril Hoge... Yeah those were the days lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Charlie Batch. No one will ever know how much he taught Ben and humbled him. I was at the game in Baltimore when he won the game when Ben was hurt, and he cried in Ben’s shoulder. Still love Batch. Came down to Richmond twice for the Farrior Foundation weekend. He gets my vote l

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly I thought he played well his entire career, but he didn't have the durability to last an entire season as a starter. Really a shame since I thought he could have been a really good QB. But a good QB without the durability to last a season usually makes for a good backup QB

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post

- - - Updated - - -

You ain't kidding. Batch was the one who sat Ben down and told him he needed to be a better teammate. Batch always defends Ben (AB situation, Credit card Gate w/Rashard Mendenhall and Tony Hills)

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Bubby Brister. And I'm being serious, he could have produced more had he a better supporting cast. He was pretty impressive when he had that (pretty much was undefeated as Denver's backup QB when Elway was down). During his time in Pittsburgh we were pretty much a run first, run second team. Other than Louis Lipps we had Dwight Stonehands. The only other reliable receiver was Merril Hoge... Yeah those were the days lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly I thought he played well his entire career, but he didn't have the durability to last an entire season as a starter. Really a shame since I thought he could have been a really good QB. But a good QB without the durability to last a season usually makes for a good backup QB
    I will totally agree with that. Brister was so solid as Elian’s back up. However, my vote would go to Batch but I’d also throw Tommy Maddox into that mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Charlie Batch.

Batch's issue was that he was made of glass and got hurt easily. Other than that, there was no one better than him to get in and get the job done. Beating the 2012 Ravens in Baltimore and snapping their winning streak there was legendary.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I'd have to go with Tommy Maddox as well, but idk if you'd call him a backup. The year after Ben took his job, was Maddox still a Steeler? The guy had talent. I remember his first few games he was lighting it up. That may have been due to no one having film on him, but like I said, I think he had more talent than Batch.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Maddox was great in 2002 for a player who was never suppose to play again in the NFL ... It was also the only time the steelers were a pass happy team under Bill Cowher! .... They were also very close to go in the AFC title game, despite an awful pass defense.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Terry Hanratty... just the way he handled that clipboard was pretty amazing.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

James Harrison... oh wait, that’s greatest back up long snapper.

Oh wait, that’s worst back up long snapper.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Bettis

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Antwaan Randle El

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Antwaan Randle El
    ARE is the greatest emergency QB of all time

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

True story. Highest rated passer in SB history

munchy

Batch.
    the guy was the epitome of a professional backup qb

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Yep

I wasn’t being facetious (which I usually am )

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    True story. Highest rated passer in SB history
    Case in point.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I always wanted to see Heath behind center.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I gotta be honest, I kinda did as well...lol

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Heath was a pretty good QB in high school...

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Heath was a pretty good QB in high school...
    He sure was!!!

I remember a game in like 1996, where Bledsoe got hurt, and they only had one backup QB in uniform. Dave Meggett was the third-string QB... and (no offense to the back up QB) but I had my fingers crossed for an injury.

Who is the greatest back up QB in Pittsburgh Steelers history?

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    He sure was!!!

I remember a game in like 1996, where Bledsoe got hurt, and they only had one backup QB in uniform. Dave Meggett was the third-string QB... and (no offense to the back up QB) but I had my fingers crossed for an injury.
    1990 Eagles/Redskins Body Bag Game. That was a good one. Redskins starting third string QB, lose him, lose 4th string, Brian Mitchell (rookie) has to come in to finish the game. Redskins lost 9 players that Monday Night.

Basically the game that inspired the 3rd QB rule.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    1990 Eagles/Redskins Body Bag Game. That was a good one. Redskins starting third string QB, lose him, lose 4th string, Brian Mitchell (rookie) has to come in to finish the game. Redskins lost 9 players that Monday Night.

Basically the game that inspired the 3rd QB rule.
    Insane!!!

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Leftwich lol
    Talent only gets you so far just ask Vince Young or Mike Vick. You know guys that have all the talent but can't hit a guy if their life depended on it.

Chuck's the guy and it's not even close but Leftwich lol that's hilarious lol

We came close when the fragile Leftwich/Batch combo were limping around.