Thread: Former Steelers T Max Starks Offers Up Thoughts On Why Drama’s Decreased In Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Former Steelers T Max Starks Offers Up Thoughts On Why Drama’s Decreased In Pittsburgh

During Mondays episode of ‘Total Access’ on the NFL Network, former Steelers tackle Max Starks was asked to comment on the Steelers possibly now having all of the drama from the last several seasons behind them.

“I think when I look at this and the situation that went down in the last couple of years, A.B., Le’Veon and Ben, and just kind of that friction, I think it really comes down to Ben is an older mature quarterback who wants the best for everybody, but at the same time he doesn’t necessarily know how to relate,” Starks said. “You know, he’s not the guy that’s social media-savvy, let’s just face it, and he doesn’t really know how to communicate with these guys. So, I think for him, having young guys where he doesn’t have to have a premeditated approach because the stature has gotten so high for certain individuals that you must get the ball in their hands or else they’re going to have a freak out session on the sidelines. I think you kind of have to have that personality.

“And having a lot of these young guys, I was at minicamp last week watching the guys walk around, I couldn’t name most of them. And I think that kind of helps for Ben in that he has young, hungry guys who want to prove themselves. So, now it’s about the best available option as opposed to having that menu of go here first, go here second.”

Former NFL running back Terrell Davis couldn’t wait to disagree with Starks saying that he thinks Roethlisberger is essentially fine with losing two very talented players for good this offseason in wide receiver Antonio Brown and running back Le’Veon Bell.

“Ben is saying what he has to say,” Davis told Starks. “He’s saying what he has to say right now, because he has to say that right now, with those two guys gone, the climate is better in this locker room and I don’t have to feel like I have to force the ball. But I thought most quarterbacks wanted that go-to guy, they wanted somebody that when when things get rough and tough, ‘I got to find that receiver, I know exactly who to go to.’ You can’t tell me that he is better today than he was when A.B. was on that team.”

When Starks rebutted Davis, he made sure to point out that Bell no longer being in Pittsburgh wasn’t the fault of Roethlisberger and that the Steelers offense did a good job overal last season of replacing his production with multiple players.

“Le’Veon was a contractual issue,” Starks told Davis. “It wasn’t between Ben and Le’Veon, it was between the organization and you saw that there can be production with James Conner and a mix in the backfield. You can’t replace A.B. Not asking him [Roethlisberger], he even said that he couldn’t replace A.B., but you have a bunch of guys so now you can spread the field. So, when you see New England week one, New England can’t take away A.B., they have to pick somebody to take away and then the other guy could step to and emerge.”

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/fo...medium=twitter

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Former Steelers T Max Starks Offers Up Thoughts On Why Drama’s Decreased In Pittsburgh

Starks is a very smart guy.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone taught that man proper grammar.

- - - Updated - - -

He should be the press secretary for a political candidate......although why the hell would he want to when he can BS on tv about football.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Former Steelers T Max Starks Offers Up Thoughts On Why Drama’s Decreased In Pittsburgh

Was always a fan of Starks. Never a pro-bowler, but smart player an kept people off of Ben. When the OL bitch threads went around, he was the least talked about.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Was always a fan of Starks. Never a pro-bowler, but smart player and kept people off of Ben. When the OL bitch threads went around, he was the least talked about.
    agreed, though Starks always did get his "feet of cement" comments also...

Max Starks was underrated and remembered he was a savior for the steelers in 2011, when the steelers signed him after Week 4 after releasing him after the lockout because of his injury.

He was not a great lineman but he was not bad ... He was not our problem when our offensive line gave up a lot of sacks.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I think it really comes down to Ben is an older mature quarterback who wants the best for everybody, but at the same time he doesn’t necessarily know how to relate,” Starks said. “You know, he’s not the guy that’s social media-savvy, let’s just face it, and he doesn’t really know how to communicate with these guys.
    I think this is the main point of Ben, which can lead to misunderstandings and incidents. There are interviews of his friends from highschool that said he was at times reserved and almost awkward. I think it was easy for him to be the young guy in the NFL and not have to be a leader, but now that he is the oldest veteran on the team, he doesn't relate or know how to effectively communicate to the guys he plays with.

As others have said, I don't think that a guy who doesn't communicate well with his teammates, that has a radio show where he can use his non relatable communication skills in an open forum, is good for him.

Starks said on the show that he was at minicamp last week and couldn't name many of the guys there. Maybe Ben feels at his best when he is surrounded by a bunch of younger and lesser established guys, that just listen to vets.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Starks is a very smart guy.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone taught that man proper grammar.
    Starks comments are another example in support of the contention, with which I agree, that the OL as a unit is collectively the brightest group of men on most teams

I agree with Starks that Ben hopefully will function better by just playing ball rather than having to try and be the leader for some veteran teammates who are not inclined to be led by Ben

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

“Le’Veon was a contractual issue,” Starks told Davis. “It wasn’t between Ben and Le’Veon, it was between the organization and you saw that there can be production with James Conner and a mix in the backfield."
    Nah, that was Ben's fault too, Max. Le'Veon just couldn't live with the guy handing off the ball to him making so much more money than he did...the selfish prick.

And on a serious note, it turned out AB's main problem was a contractual issue too:

"If your squad want to win and your squad want a hungry wide receiver who's the best in the whole world, someone hit my phone," Brown said. "Tell them I ain't doing no unguarantees. I ain't even gonna play myself no more for this NFL. ... I think I done everything. What y'all think? What's left for me to do? Win a Super Bowl? Gotta be the right team for that, right? ... If your team got guaranteed money, they want to get to know me and work with me, tell them to call me."

Any team that contacted Brown directly at this point would be tampering as the receiver remains under contract with the Steelers for the next three seasons.

Brown's comments do indicate that if a team trades for his services, the Pro Bowl receiver would seemingly expect a new guaranteed-filled contract to come along with that swap. The expectation of sinking more money into the 30-year-old receiver could further deteriorate Brown's already waning trade stock.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...aranteed-money

Sorry, but the "Ben was mean to me on the radio so I wanna leave" BS doesn't fly.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

get rid of players that cause drama and the team's drama decreases. wow that's the surprise of the century

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

And on a serious note, it turned out AB's main problem was a contractual issue too:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...aranteed-money

Sorry, but the "Ben was mean to me on the radio so I wanna leave" BS doesn't fly.
    Yes, even though Ben would not have made his comments after the game against Denver, Brown would have found a way to leave Pittsburgh.

Brown is the best WR of this decade in the nfl, but his ego is so big now ... his comments on JuJu in April was awful too.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Yes, even though Ben would not have made his comments after the game against Denver, Brown would have found a way to leave Pittsburgh.

Brown is the best WR of this decade in the nfl, but his ego is so big now ... his comments on JuJu in April was awful too.
    Good point - I forgot all about his obvious butthurt over JuJu winning team MVP as well.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Saw some talking head on ESPN this morning say something along the lines that Ben's thrown 21 or more TD passes every year since AB became a starter. The last year AB didn't start, 2010, AB's rookie year where he played sparingly in the regular season Ben only threw 17 TD passes.

Yeah a few things he forgot to mention. That was the year Ben was suspended the first 4 games. So missing a quarter of the season could have had something to do with that. Project his 12 game stats over a full season and you're at 22 TD's. Next. That Steeler team advanced to the SB. Something that never happened when AB was a starter. Last thing. Ben's int rate was 1.3 that season. He never got it that low again after AB became a starter.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Saw some talking head on ESPN this morning say something along the lines that Ben's thrown 21 or more TD passes every year since AB became a starter. The last year AB didn't start, 2010, AB's rookie year where he played sparingly in the regular season Ben only threw 17 TD passes.

Yeah a few things he forgot to mention. That was the year Ben was suspended the first 4 games. So missing a quarter of the season could have had something to do with that. Project his 12 game stats over a full season and you're at 22 TD's. Next. That Steeler team advanced to the SB. Something that never happened when AB was a starter. Last thing. Ben's int rate was 1.3 that season. He never got it that low again after AB became a starter.
    If we include the playoffs that year, Ben had 21 TD in 15 games in 2010 .... In 2005, Ben also had 17 TDs in 12 regular season games, but he had 24 in 16 games, including the playoffs, despite he did not attempts a lot of passes per game....By the way,the 2010 season by Ben was underrated.

Also, we must not forget that since 2011 with the safety rules, QB stats in the NFL are more inflated, whether for the QB rating, TD or yards, so it's normal that his stats for Roethlisberger (especially for TDs and yards) are better .... Ben also has more pass attempts, as for most QB of the NFL ..... Yes Brown helped Ben, but that's not the only reason .... He was a top 5 QB(at this time,only Brady,Rodgers,Brees and Peyton was better that Ben) even before Brown became a star in 2013.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    get rid of players that cause drama and the team's drama decreases. wow that's the surprise of the century