Thread: State of the Franchise: Steelers trending up or stuck in reverse?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

State of the Franchise: Steelers trending up or stuck in reverse?

Where does your franchise stand heading into 2019? Adam Rank will set the table by providing a State of the Franchise look at all 32 teams over the next few weeks, zeroing in on the key figures to watch and setting the stakes for the season to come.

Members of the Pittsburgh Steelers organization, fans of the team and those who realize that fries belong on the sandwich:

This is a time of tremendous change in Pittsburgh. For many generations, the Steelers have stood as one of the model franchises in the NFL. The Rooney family built a culture of stability that has filtered down to the football field. Only three teams (the Packers, Bears and Giants) have more NFL championships than the Steelers, who were the first team in league history to capture six Super Bowls. And while Pittsburgh continues to win, lately the team has created more of a stir with off-the-field drama than anything it's accomplished on the field.

How the Steelers got here

Let's take a quick look at the ups and downs of 2018:

In closing
    I feel like there will be no middle ground with this team. Either they will fold in horrific fashion -- maybe win five games or something -- or go completely the other way: Roethlisberger throws 60 touchdowns and JuJu catches 30 of them as the team wins a seventh Super Bowl. It feels like one or the other. Because it would be disappointing (even a little sad) if they just meander around again for another season. At least make it exciting and newsworthy.

read more

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...edium=referral

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: State of the Franchise: Steelers trending up or stuck in reverse?

Trending up. Next question.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

They are on the upside of things getting rid of two problem Brown/Bell and, maybe a good draft Busch at MLB. Sounds like Ben is focused and ready to roll this season.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

There is a good portion of fans who think this team is Super Bowl ready simply because they rid themselves of Brown and Bell. I think those fans will wind up disappointed. There are still holes on the defense and special teams remains a question mark. Most importantly the coaching remains subpar and in fact is worse with Munchak and Saxon gone. I surely hope Tomlin doesn't expect that everything will just correct itself with Brown and Bell gone

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I think this team will improve despite the loss of Brown and Bell, not because of it. Defense should be upgraded considerably over the last few seasons, we have more targets for Ben, and more depth and flexibility at RB.
    Maybe I'm right or maybe I'm wrong, but I'm looking forward to finding out.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    I think this team will improve despite the loss of Brown and Bell, not because of it. Defense should be upgraded considerably over the last few seasons, we have more targets for Ben, and more depth and flexibility at RB.
    Maybe I'm right or maybe I'm wrong, but I'm looking forward to finding out.
    My exact thoughts and was going to post the same thing but had to go on a beer run.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Right now we’re all guessing.

A year from now we’ll know the truth.

Changes in attitude (so we read), changes in personnel, changes in coaching, retaining coaches under the gun...should be an interesting season. Just hope injuries don’t influence the truth we’re looking for.

I do not know what to expect on the field ... it could be good, as it could be average, I do not know but I'm confident that the chemistry is going to be much better.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Arrow pointing down. The Steelers always had the talent to win, but the coaching was subpar outside of Mike Munchak. The top talent placed a tarp over the coaching deficiencies. Take the talent away, but keep the weak coaching, and what do you get?

Bell and Brown becoming cancer doesn't change Mike Tomlin's poor coaching.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Ben always makes do with his receiving corps and will be firing on all cylinders with whoever the receivers are by the 2nd half of the season.

So I think it comes down to how much our defense improves, which between the addition of Bush, Barron & Nelson, could be significant.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Really depends on how all these new draft picks and FA signings turn out. I can't remember the last time there were so many new players who were being counted on to actually come in and get on the field right away to fix significant issues. Exciting, but also sort of a gamble. But at this point we HAVE to gamble - taking halfway steps over and over only gets you halfway there over and over.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I don’t know what any has to be pessimistic about. We’re still a powerhouse on offense with a great Oline and a team chemistry like we haven’t had in while. On defense we plugged our weak spots at ILB and corner, plus Edmunds will be MUCH improved in his second year now that he knows the defense. We’ll continue to get a ton of sacks while vastly improving our turnover ratio.

Our kicking game that basically kept us from having a first round bye will be back on track and win us the close games.

So mark my words now, because all of this calm optimism will go right out the window on the game day threads where I threaten to kill every player and coach on our team, while wishing ass cancer on Steely McBeam.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Losing Brown, who was probably or 2nd or 3rd most important player on the team will hurt. He just made too many key plays, the type that help win games.

It's too early to say if the team is better off now. Camp will give us details and improvement hinges on Bush's impact, and finding a replacement Wide receiver capable of holding to limit the impact of what Brown gave us. . I've got a feeling Layne will be a good 3rd round pick, and we really need that as only one of DB's can cover his man well outside the hashmarks.

On the minus side, or division has improved. Jackson, who really isn't a QB that can win without a good defense and clutch special teams isn't a rookie anymore, and Cleveland is significantly better. Mayfield looks like the real deal.

So the Steelers will need some improvement if they are going to make the playoffs. Boswell being back to normal would really help. That and taking some game decisions away from Tomlin such as when to throw the red flag and when to call time outs.

I'd like to see a time out / red flag coach. IMO it would help and he cannot do any worse. Tomlin has declined the concept of a time out coach.

I tend to think we took a 1/2 step back while the division took a 1/2 forward. Not a huge gap to make up, but a gap none the less.

The big IF's

IF Ben throws less interceptions

IF The DB's create more turnovers

IF Boswell Rounds

IF Tomlin coaches better ( Leaving Ben on the sidelines in favor of Dobbs in the Oakland Game for a while made no sense ) and the Steelers stop losing game to .500 and below type of teams.....

THEN the Steelers can make the playoffs, and perhaps even win a playoff game, or two or three! Tomlin is 3-6 in his last 9 playoff games.

The success of the steelers will depend on our defense, turnovers margin and our run-pass ratio in offense.

If the Steelers are still close to 700 Pass Attempts this season, it's a recipe for disaster especially without AB.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Not going to bet against Ben, the OL, Juju, Conner, and the improved defense - yes they are improved from last year.

trending up

will trust the FO yet again on the coaching, have no choice...

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Until discipline returns to game day they will be in a slow decline. Then there is the experience factor if they make it to postseason. Ben will need to reduce interceptions, especially early in the season because the defense has not been consistent in years. Everything you need to know will be revealed by Week 6.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Until discipline returns to game day they will be in a slow decline. Then there is the experience factor if they make it to postseason. Ben will need to reduce interceptions, especially early in the season because the defense has not been consistent in years. Everything you need to know will be revealed by Week 6.
    discipline (lack of) or just distraction?

Coach says distraction...

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I don't think distractions are what causes the team to consistently lose to basement dwellers.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    I don't think distractions are what causes the team to consistently lose to basement dwellers.
    Chuck Noll was something like 49-1 vs teams .500 and below for a six year period. Why Tomlin coaches teams cant seem to focus and beat the bottom level teams in the NFL is a sore spot.

The best head coaches handle their distractions or trade the for value. We do neither well.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Underachieving. Underperforming. Inconsistent. Those are the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Chuck Noll was something like 49-1 vs teams .500 and below for a six year period. Why Tomlin coaches teams cant seem to focus and beat the bottom level teams in the NFL is a sore spot.

The best head coaches handle their distractions or trade the for value. We do neither well.

That was back in the days when there was no free agency. Teams had to live or die by the draft process. Those that couldn't draft well were far inferior to the better teams.

In today's NFL, bad teams just throw much of their money at players other teams developed and are proven, quality players in free agency. Every team has relatively even talent. It's the way the league is set up.

It's apples and oranges.