Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Ben: ‘It Wasn’t Easy’ To Stay Quiet During Offseason, But It Was ‘The Right Thing To Do’

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Big Ben: ‘It Wasn’t Easy’ To Stay Quiet During Offseason, But It Was ‘The Right Thing To Do’

The Pittsburgh Steelers are entering their second extended break of the offseason, the first of course being the time between the end of their previous season and the start of the new league year months later. This one is shorter, however, and hopefully much less eventful.

In spite of the fact that they didn’t even qualify for the postseason, the Steelers were the most talked about team in the league while the playoffs were going on, with then-current teammates even throwing quarterback Ben Roethlisberger under the bus. That prompted a parade of former teammates to chime in and throw out their two cents as well.

All through that, however, Roethlisberger kept his peace publicly before finally giving an interview on the eve of OTAs in order to try to burst the bubble—or more like a monsoon—of questions that he would get the first time reporters could get a recorder in his face.

His leadership was questioned. His character was questioned. His ego. Everything. And he just had to take it. “Yeah, it wasn’t easy”, he said on SiriusXM yesterday. But, “to stay quiet, I just felt like it was the right thing to do”.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/bi...t-thing-to-do/

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Big Ben: ‘It Wasn’t Easy’ To Stay Quiet During Offseason, But It Was ‘The Right Thing To Do’

After shooting off hot takes for years it presumably wasn’t easy for Ben to actually STFU during the offseason

It probably would be helpful if that continued but since the Tuesday morning radio therapy sessions apparently will continue this season likely not going to continue for long

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Re: Big Ben: ‘It Wasn’t Easy’ To Stay Quiet During Offseason, But It Was ‘The Right Thing To Do’

Sooooo.......how many people here actually listened to his radio shows......or just reacted to bits and pieces that got repeated by certain individuals that were trying to force their way out of town?

Did anyone actually hear his shows in their entirety......

I'm waiting. ....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Sooooo.......how many people here actually listened to his radio shows......or just reacted to bits and pieces that got repeated by certain individuals that were trying to force their way out of town?

I'm waiting. ....
    I don't need to listen to radio shows in their entirety to know it's not a good idea to publicly criticize your teammates on them.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

I'm waiting. ....

I do not listen to them live but will download the replay if it was alleged Ben said something noteworthy or moronic. Expecting Ben to stop is like an alcoholic giving up booze - it is a tough habit to kick

After the Denver loss fiasco that was one among others I listened to in its entirety - it was even worse when listening to the whole broadcast, which put into better context how Ben was throwing Fichtner and AB under the bus for his fuck up of throwing the game ending INT, than the initial reports

Hope you have not been waiting too long for the response

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

That's fine but you know the majority of the media and the likes never bothered to actually listen to it before they started bashing him.

That's fine but you know the majority of the media and the likes never bothered to actually listen to it before they started bashing him.

Probably a best practice not to give ammo to critics waiting to take shots at you

Ben has been a great QB and the Steelers obviously have been far better off with him than they would have been without him since 2004 - but he could avoid a lot of messes on and off the field if he had the self-control to do so

But as Tomlin said about gunslinger Ben in the America’s Game on the 2008 season, sometimes gunslingers get shot

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Ben: “It’s tough when people talk negatively about you and your family...”

Who said anything about his family? Did his wife criticize AB for not running a flatter route on her radio show and I missed it?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Ben: “It’s tough when people talk negatively about you and your family...”

Who said anything about his family? Did his wife criticize AB for not running a flatter route on her radio show and I missed it?
    Did he really say somebody was talking negatively about his family? I don't recall anybody talking negatively about his wife, kids, parents, sister, etc. It makes me feel so sad for him. Maybe he isn't as dramatic as some say?

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Now is the time more than ever for Ben to vindicate himself. Winning cures everything.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Did he really say somebody was talking negatively about his family? I don't recall anybody talking negatively about his wife, kids, parents, sister, etc. It makes me feel so sad for him. Maybe he isn't as dramatic as some say?
    His teammates (aka the men Colbert described as his kids) are part of Ben’s family

What Ben is trying to say is how upset he is about his good friend AB being criticized during the
    off-season

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    His teammates (aka the men Colbert described as his kids) are part of Ben’s family

What Ben is trying to say is how upset he is about his good friend AB being criticized during the
    off-season
    Ben and I have different definitions about what a "good friend" is...

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Do you guys really care what Ben says..... about anything? He's a top 5 QB in the NFL. He's your QB. He wins. What else matters? Maybe.... just maybe, you might want to take a que from the ultimate Raider..............Just Win Baby!

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Do you guys really care what Ben says..... about anything? He's a top 5 QB in the NFL. He's your QB. He wins. What else matters? Maybe.... just maybe, you might want to take a que from the ultimate Raider..............Just Win Baby!
    Thank you

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I would have to say my favorite Raider was Marcus Allen. The guy you refer to as the "ultimate Raider" was the ultimate douchebag to him.

I prefer not to take a que from a guy that screwed over multiple cities that his fanbase was located in and the franchise's all time greatest running back. The Chief set a higher standard in Pittsburgh, than what was set in Oakland/LA/Oakland/Las Vegas, IMO.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I would have to say my favorite Raider was Marcus Allen. The guy you refer to as the "ultimate Raider" was the ultimate douchebag to him.

I prefer not to take a que from a guy that screwed over multiple cities that his fanbase was located in and the franchise's all time greatest running back. The Chief set a higher standard in Pittsburgh, than what was set in Oakland/LA/Oakland/Las Vegas, IMO.
    Okay. You don't know what went down between Al and Marcus..... which is understandable since you aren't a Raiders fan. I'm not going to go into it because it is irrelevant to the topic. I won't post in the Steelers forum any more... I'm not here to start trouble.

Okay. You don't know what went down between Al and Marcus..... which is understandable since you aren't a Raiders fan. I'm not going to go into it because it is irrelevant to the topic. I won't post in the Steelers forum any more... I'm not here to start trouble.
    I'm very curious to hear what went down between Al and Marcus.

please do tell...

Do a little research. It's out there, even though it's vague. I won't post here again... even though I'm an original member here since the beginning of this forum. I don't want to be known as a troll.... I'm not here for that.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Do a little research. It's out there, even though it's vague. I won't post here again... even though I'm an original member here since the beginning of this forum. I don't want to be known as a troll.... I'm not here for that.
    No one thinks you’re a troll.

You should not be discouraged from posting here. Really. I promise we break each other’s balls too, but it’s all in good fun.

You are an appreciated contributor to this forum. Your opinion about anything is just as valid and welcome here as anyone else’s.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I always like Lester Hayes and he was like moving fly paper to qb's.

Don't worry, you are a good poster and I'm not wanting you to stop posting here. Its just football and I don't think you are starting trouble. I am just saying that I have never had a great opinion of Al Davis after the cumulative whining and complaining.

I grew up watching football and have great memories of Allen at USC, plus his NFL career. I recall all the guys that Al Davis brought in to try and replace Allen and let him rot on the bench(Bo, Roger Craig, over the hill Dickerson, etc.). I have seen the Football Life documentary where Ron Wolf says Marcus Allen was the #1 Raider while he was there. Where Terry Robiske says he would catch crap from Davis if he put Marcus Allen in the game. If it was over Nicole Simpson, or Marcus ego, or whatever, why didn't Al just trade him?

If its all about "just win baby", then you don't put a HOF running back in to play full back. Davis alleged credo is such a contradiction to that situation. That being said, don't feel like you are starting trouble and please feel free to keep posting whatever you want.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    No one thinks you’re a troll.

You should not be discouraged from posting here. Really. I promise we break each other’s balls too, but it’s all in good fun.

You are an appreciated contributor to this forum. Your opinion about anything is just as valid and welcome here as anyone else’s.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

IDK but I think I get where Silver and Black is coming from. He doesn't want to derail the post which happens here on a regular basis. He's also alluding to the point that Sue brought up about knowing the facts rather than basing your opinion on hearsay or maybe it's more appropriate to call it "here say", LOL. I could be wrong but I don't think I'm to far off the mark.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    If the route is a timing route and AB isn’t running it properly, then yes...it’s his fault. If Ben is just chucking it up and hoping for the best, then it’s his fault. It’s also quite possible that the DL just made a great play and it’s no ones fault...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    It’s also quite possible that the DL just made a great play and it’s no ones fault...lol.
    Someone out there who analyzes film (Hoge?) said that on the play, Pouncey blocked the DL “too well”. The DL got taken to school, gave up on the play, and stood up... right in the perfect spot.

Talk about Murphy’s Law.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Someone out there who analyzes film (Hoge?) said that on the play, Pouncey blocked the DL “too well”. The DL got taken to school, gave up on the play, and stood up... right in the perfect spot.

Talk about Murphy’s Law.
    Lol. Right?

I thought he gave up and then dropped back into coverage? Maybe not...it was a long time ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Talk about Murphy’s Law.
    Sooooo someone please tell me what good came out of Ben then going on his radio show and publicly criticizing AB for running a poor route on that play?

I'm waiting...

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Sooooo someone please tell me what good came out of Ben then going on his radio show and publicly criticizing AB for running a poor route on that play?

I'm waiting...
    Maybe because time and time again whatever critique's he had for AB were ignored and or disregarded when he tried to do it inside the normal structure of things? So after awhile you get tired of things falling on deaf ears so you so it in a way that's sure to get his attention.

Honestly I can't say Ben was right or wrong on the interception into the end zone? But I do think Ben should have called AB out on the 3rd quarter int he had. AB just quit on a crossing route. Had he continued on with his pattern that ball is either a completion to AB or a break up.

Anyway as far as AB crying about Ben calling him out. How the fuck does he think Ben's felt over the years when he's throwing sideline tantrums because Ben either missed him on a pass or didn't see him when he was open? You don't consider that calling out a teammate in public? If anything Ben owed him 50x more than he gave him.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Maybe because time and time again whatever critique's he had for AB were ignored and or disregarded when he tried to do it inside the normal structure of things? So after awhile you get tired of things falling on deaf ears so you so it in a way that's sure to get his attention.

Honestly I can't say Ben was right or wrong on the interception into the end zone? But I do think Ben should have called AB out on the 3rd quarter int he had. AB just quit on a crossing route. Had he continued on with his pattern that ball is either a completion to AB or a break up.

Anyway as far as AB crying about Ben calling him out. How the fuck does he think Ben's felt over the years when he's throwing sideline tantrums because Ben either missed him on a pass or didn't see him when he was open? You don't consider that calling out a teammate in public? If anything Ben owed him 50x more than he gave him.
    they were both wrong, I'm just pissed that this kind of crap was allowed to go on all these years.

I'm waiting...
    It got the problem out of town.

boom....problem fixed.