Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Ben: ‘It Wasn’t Easy’ To Stay Quiet During Offseason, But It Was ‘The Right Thing To Do’

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Big Ben: ‘It Wasn’t Easy’ To Stay Quiet During Offseason, But It Was ‘The Right Thing To Do’

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post

Honestly I can't say Ben was right or wrong on the interception into the end zone? But I do think Ben should have called AB out on the 3rd quarter int he had. AB just quit on a crossing route. Had he continued on with his pattern that ball is either a completion to AB or a break up.

If Brown runs the route flatter, does the DT still intercept the football? If you watch the video and are objective, you will know the answer.

On the INT in the 3rd quarter, Brown was held on the crossing pattern. Video shows it and Ben even comments on it post game.
    "He (Brown) got grabbed," Roethlisberger said. "They caught him and grabbed him. That is why the ball got picked. I just tried to figure out why they (the officials) didn't call it." http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000992806/article/roethlisberger-brown-was-held-on-pass-leading-to-int

I'm not sure why Ben should call out Brown on the 3rd quarter INT, in your opinion, when he stated to the media in the post game that the hold on Brown was the reason for his INT.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Re: Big Ben: ‘It Wasn’t Easy’ To Stay Quiet During Offseason, But It Was ‘The Right Thing To Do’

There’s no doubt Ben was correct about his evaluation on the play. He didn’t “throw AB under
    The bus” as some calculated ploy to deflect blame off of himself. More than one thing went wrong on that play. It was kind of a fluke that the defensive lineman got blocked back so far that he was in position to make the pick. What Ben is saying is that had AB run the flatter route (like he was supposed to) the trajectory of the pass would have been different, and therefore not intercepted.

Now people can argue that Ben should never have told the public that because it’s understood that QB’s aren’t supposed to ever tell us the truth about any play where someone else does something wrong. I don’t know that depriving the public of the objective facts is the RIGHT way to handle things, but I understand that it’s some kind of tradition in football.

But as a member of the public, I actually appreciate whenever anyone tells me the Xs and Os of any situation so that I can better understand football. Ben makes it a habit of providing me with that info. I wish he was allowed to do that, just like the analysts are, but I guess it does more harm than good to be honest and informative.

Pity.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    What Ben is saying is that had AB run the flatter route (like he was supposed to) the trajectory of the pass would have been different, and therefore not intercepted.

But as a member of the public, I actually appreciate whenever anyone tells me the Xs and Os of any situation so that I can better understand football. Ben makes it a habit of providing me with that info. I wish he was allowed to do that, just like the analysts are, but I guess it does more harm than good to be honest and informative.

OK, if you like X and O explanation, here is some. The play looks like a Run Pass Option, since there are both run blocking elements (Chukks pulling backside and O line RPO blocking) and the obvious pass pattern being run. The LOS is the 2.5 yard line and if you watch video of the play in the link I provided, you see that by the time Ben pulls the ball out of the gut of Conner and throws the football...AB is approx. 3 yards deep in the end zone, while both AV and Pouncey have their defenders blocked 1 yard deep in the end zone.

If AB runs the pattern flat across at a shallower level, as suggested, then the is 2 yards deep in the end zone and right where the DT Shelby Harris intercepts the football. The better play was that he run it more of a 45 degree angle to the open space where there was no defenders. It doesn't matter, because Ben threw the football to an area 2 yards deep in the end zone, where the DT was.

On an RPO, the O linemen block in what can be described as aggressive pass blocking or passive run blocking technique. They come off the ball like a run block, to move their defender and turn them, but don't get too far off the LOS so they don't get flagged for being downfield. Honestly, the football was thrown 4 yards off the LOS, in a play where your O line is run blocking for a RPO and there isn't space to run that shallow of a route. Should the QB throw the football into an area 4 yards off the LOS, or to where his receiver was running and where he could see him with his eyes?

Reality is that the QB made a poor throw. He first called it a freak event where the D linemen got blocked into the pattern, which was part of the RPO blocking. Then he later blamed the receiver for not running a flatter route, where he would not be open anyways and didn't throw the football to the WR anyways, but rather underthrew in his directions.

The interception is an under throw of the WR, not much different than in SBXL, when he underthrew a receiver in the end zone and it was picked off by Kelly Herndon I think from Seattle. Its just that this time he eventually chose not to own it and instead blame bad luck and then the route run.

https://www.denverbroncos.com/video/...me-sealing-int

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Its just that this time he eventually chose not to own it and instead blame bad luck and then the route run.
    yup, tbh I don't blame AB for being pissed off at Ben in this particular case for publicly criticizing him.

it's why Atlanta Dan and I are in agreement that Ben would be better off not having a radio show....

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

No doubt Ben made a horrible pass (it was his fault) and his comments were bad after the game against Denver

But that does not defend the other actions that Brown did before or after .... I think Brown would have asked for a trade even without the incident in Denver .... Just look to his comments on twitter after the game against the chiefs in week 2 last year.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    yup, tbh I don't blame AB for being pissed off at Ben in this particular case for publicly criticizing him.

it's why Atlanta Dan and I are in agreement that Ben would be better off not having a radio show....
    I agree with you guys on the radio show as well.

Fact is that most athletes grew up in an abnormal situation where at times they were catered to and coddled and failure was something you want to avoid and at times hide from. I mean, give Tiger Woods an open mike and see what comes out of his mouth, when no advisers are around. Ben grew up where his parents divorced at a young age and his dad re married, while his birth mom died in a car crash when he was something like 8 years old. He was supposedly reserved and introverted in highschool until he got some notoriety as an athlete.

My point is that he maybe doesn't relate to everybody well and being given a forum to say what he wants isn't probably a good thing. I'm not fixated on the Denver INT, as they happen, but its one thing to make the excuse of a freak play by the DT in the postgame scrum, but then to take another excuse to the airwaves on the radio show took it to another level, when it was just a bad throw and IMO a bad play call. Who really calls an RPO on the 2.5 yard line, when RPO's aren't a big part of your offense?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    No doubt Ben made a horrible pass (it was his fault) and his comments were bad after the game against Denver

But that does not defend the other actions that Brown did before or after .... I think Brown would have asked for a trade even without the incident in Denver .... Just look to his comments on twitter after the game against the chiefs in week 2 last year.
    I think the Denver INT blame, the comments about throwing to JuJu all 4 downs and then telling coaches to get another WR in to run a play in practice (allegedly) were the culmination of incidents. The proverbial straws that broke the camels back.

IMO, if Ben just owns the Denver INT, then doesn't say he should have thrown to JuJu more......AB is still in B&G. Stuff that stayed in the locker room is just guys talking crap after a loss. When you air dirty laundry in public, then its no longer between the "band of brothers".

I agree with you guys on the radio show as well.

Fact is that most athletes grew up in an abnormal situation where at times they were catered to and coddled and failure was something you want to avoid and at times hide from. I mean, give Tiger Woods an open mike and see what comes out of his mouth, when no advisers are around. Ben grew up where his parents divorced at a young age and his dad re married, while his birth mom died in a car crash when he was something like 8 years old. He was supposedly reserved and introverted in highschool until he got some notoriety as an athlete.

My point is that he maybe doesn't relate to everybody well and being given a forum to say what he wants isn't probably a good thing. I'm not fixated on the Denver INT, as they happen, but its one thing to make the excuse of a freak play by the DT in the postgame scrum, but then to take another excuse to the airwaves on the radio show took it to another level, when it was just a bad throw and IMO a bad play call. Who really calls an RPO on the 2.5 yard line, when RPO's aren't a big part of your offense?

- - - Updated - - -

I think the Denver INT blame, the comments about throwing to JuJu all 4 downs and then telling coaches to get another WR in to run a play in practice (allegedly) were the culmination of incidents. The proverbial straws that broke the camels back.

IMO, if Ben just owns the Denver INT, then doesn't say he should have thrown to JuJu more......AB is still in B&G. Stuff that stayed in the locker room is just guys talking crap after a loss. When you air dirty laundry in public, then its no longer between the "band of brothers".
    I do not think so ... I remember his comments on twitter after the chiefs game and other things .... His comments on JuJu last April was also pathetic.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

If Brown runs the route flatter, does the DT still intercept the football? If you watch the video and are objective, you will know the answer.

On the INT in the 3rd quarter, Brown was held on the crossing pattern. Video shows it and Ben even comments on it post game.
    "He (Brown) got grabbed," Roethlisberger said. "They caught him and grabbed him. That is why the ball got picked. I just tried to figure out why they (the officials) didn't call it." http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000992806/article/roethlisberger-brown-was-held-on-pass-leading-to-int

I'm not sure why Ben should call out Brown on the 3rd quarter INT, in your opinion, when he stated to the media in the post game that the hold on Brown was the reason for his INT.

Good catch. I forgot that. But yeah that 3rd quarter int was game changing in it's own way. It was definetly obvious watching the game on NFL rewin that AB didn't get to the spot where he was expected to be. But I missed the defensive hold. Oh well that's what happens when you watch the game in fast forward mode! lol

Anyway regardless, I guarantee you there were dozens of interceptions over the years that AB was absolutely responsible and never before had Ben publicly called him out. Or thrown a sidleline tantrum with the entire point being to place blame on AB or anyone else.

My end point is Ben may not be the greatest teammate ever. But AB calling him out on it was akin to the pot calling the kettle black.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

Exactly! I mean do people actually think AB was being the good teammate when he's bitching out coaches and pointing fingers on the sidelines. Yep, Ben missed seeing him on a play. Funny thing is the drive still culminated in a touchdown. But it wasn't AB's touchdown so he remained pissed. Ask any Steeler beat writer. AB's mood was always dependent on his stat line. Not the games outcome. As long as he got his he was happy. But if he had a bad stat line and the Steelers won by 3 touchdowns he would sulk off. Ben may be an asshole at times. But he's the polar opposite. Win and he's happy no matter his day personally.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Paul Zeise: A motivated Ben Roethlisberger is dangerous for the AFC North

PAUL ZEISE
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    JUL 12, 2019

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201907120104

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Paul Zeise: A motivated Ben Roethlisberger is dangerous for the AFC North

PAUL ZEISE
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    JUL 12, 2019

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201907120104

Brown "intentionally running the wrong routes" doesn't help the offense or the quarterback much. It hurts a team badly in many ways and it may even produce some interceptions......but hey.....I'm no expert.

When you read some of this stuff out loud, it is astounding.

Ben Roethlisberger has always been motivated ... Ben does not need that to motivate himself.

Also, Brown intentionally running the wrong route?

If this is true, WOW ... but is that really true, and did the person who said that is credible?

Ben Roethlisberger still undecided on continuing his radio show

Posted by Josh Alper on July 26, 2019

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...is-radio-show/