Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Third string TE

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Re: Third string TE

As for Gentry a guy with his size is worth being patient and seeing if he has talent. Steelers either struck out with him or hit a huge home run but need time to know.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    As for Gentry a guy with his size is worth being patient and seeing if he has talent. Steelers either struck out with him or hit a huge home run but need time to know.
    I believe Gentry will turn out to be at least as good as Jesse James.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I believe Gentry will turn out to be at least as good as Jesse James.
    Me too and caught one of Michigan's later season game where he looked impressive.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

not unless there's an injury to the top 2.

I think the Steelers have much bigger problems than who the 3rd string TE is going to be this season...
    Yep, like the 2nd starting OLB and CB
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Hound is a jewel in the rough">

When the Steelers use the jumbo the defense knows that they are running the ball.

I’m sure the Steelers are going to bring in or trade for a TE(they put a claim in on Leggett). I also have high hopes for Xavier, but he has not proven anything over the past three years.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hound View Post
    When the Steelers use the jumbo the defense knows that they are running the ball.
    Yes. But they don't know from where, on what snap count, and they still have to beat the block to stop it. My point is a blocking TE is the same as adding an extra tackle in the Jumbo, and we already have a few of those. It's not the run game that is worrisome heading into this season so much as passing weapons for Ben. Adding a great blocking TE does not help the offense at this point.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Yep, like the 2nd starting OLB and CB
    I’m not going to start up a Dupree conversation. (Everyone has dug in their heels in both sides of that debate.)?

But, the “2nd starting CB”...??? I think Steven Nelson is the best “2nd starting CB” that we’ve had in a while. He’s not the greatest, but it beats the other “traffic cones” we’ve trotted out there for a decade.

If the Steelers didn’t care about a TE blocking ability, Bucky Hodges would never have been cut. Jumbo package brings 8 men in the box. A true TE forced the defense to be honest. Chucks isn’t going to make a safety cover the flats. My TE is a DECENT receiver and a Good blocker. To expect anything more this late in the off season is unrealistic.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hound View Post
    If the Steelers didn’t care about a TE blocking ability, Bucky Hodges would never have been cut. Jumbo package brings 8 men in the box. A true TE forced the defense to be honest. Chucks isn’t going to make a safety cover the flats. My TE is a DECENT receiver and a Good blocker. To expect anything more this late in the off season is unrealistic.
    Then I say sign him. It's not a one extreme or the other proposition. A good blocking TE that is decent in the pass game is also called 'tackle eligible'. Trust me it's a thing. The point I was trying to make is not that the TE doesn't block but that a 2nd tier receiving TE is a bigger need than a 2nd tier blocking TE with the current personnel. Agreed there are no 1st tier, starter quality guys that fit this need, however that gets defined.

BTW, I have no idea why Hodges was waived before the draft. Other than he hasn't played a single snap of football since being drafted he was great.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    BTW, I have no idea why Hodges was waived before the draft. Other than he hasn't played a single snap of football since being drafted he was great.
    he never dropped one single pass, missed any blocking assignments or had one holding penalty called against him

Do you really feel calling a tackle eligible a decent receiving option is true? C’mon you know that’s not true. Chances of finding a high quality receiving TE is slim to none unless a trade or some means of compensation is given. A player that can make the defense play honest is all we can hope for. Sure the Steelers will make a move.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Aside from his (brain dead) fumble in the Denver game, Grimble has looked like a good backup. He has improved every season. His hands are good. I like him.

If Xavier gets an opportunity, I hope he grabs it and runs with it. The physical talent is definitely there.

munchy

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    People are forgetting about goal line fumble guy and maybe why. I think he is a decent 2 TE and can't we forgive him ? After all Boz Will be forgiven after he makes his first field goal.
    its easier o forgive a guy that has made significant contributions to the team in the past compared a to bum that has had only one significant play and that was a Ftard move

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

If the Steelers actually intend to use Samuels as a traditional H-back, is this kind of like having another TE?

I know it isn’t what most NFL teams do nowadays, but an H-back provides a similar function as a TE who might block or catch, keeping a defense honest as you guys say.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    If the Steelers actually intend to use Samuels as a traditional H-back, is this kind of like having another TE?

I know it isn’t what most NFL teams do nowadays, but an H-back provides a similar function as a TE who might block or catch, keeping a defense honest as you guys say.

All I know is that H-Back bullshit usually just means a guy who is not a good enough runner to be a good running back, and not a good enough receiver or blocker to be a good tight end, but just enough of an "all-around athlete" to tease you that he might be good at either one, but what actually happens is he sucks at both, and then he gets a 4-game suspension for PEDs and is never heard of again. We had a couple of guys like that, I think.

Samuels looks more like a regular running back with slightly better-than-average receiving skills, but with a few question marks as an every-down ballcarrier, so maybe more of a situational back.

Now where's my Star Wars movie about the shit-eating dog.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    In the works! Disney loves the concept!

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    All I know is that H-Back bullshit usually just means a guy who is not a good enough runner to be a good running back, and not a good enough receiver or blocker to be a good tight end, but just enough of an "all-around athlete" to tease you that he might be good at either one, but what actually happens is he sucks at both, and then he gets a 4-game suspension for PEDs and is never heard of again. We had a couple of guys like that, I think.

Samuels looks more like a regular running back with slightly better-than-average receiving skills, but with a few question marks as an every-down ballcarrier, so maybe more of a situational back.

Normally, Yes.

But, Samuels was more of a receiver in college than a runner.

Additionally, if he switched to TE full time, Samuels would be our 2nd best TE. So, having him as our 3rd TE saves us a roster spot.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Normally, Yes.

Additionally, if he switched to TE full time, Samuels would be our 2nd best TE. So, having him as our 3rd TE saves us a roster spot.
    Agreed, Samuels was more of a receiving threat than used in the run game. I said in his draft year that his skillset reminded me more of Ronnie Harmon and I still think that.

As a TE, he isn't a good enough blocker to be much of a factor in the run game when lined up as a TE or H-back. Likewise he isn't athletic enough as a TE that a Safety cant cover him adequately. I think he is best suited where he is, as a RB to create mismatches vs LB's in the pass game, but a decent enough runner to get situational yards in the run game.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Normally, Yes.

But we committed already to two shitty backup TEs. I guess theoretically we could cut Grimble for little or no cap penalty, but we aren't doing that, you can just tell.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    In the works! Disney loves the concept!
    Great! Do you mind passing a message along: If casting is not finished by July 1, I will sneak into Disneyland and beat up all the princesses in Fantasyland. I know it sounds extreme, but you gotta make these Hollywood prima donnas stick to the schedule. Tarantino was the same way until Princess Ariel got two black eyes.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/za...domino-effect/
    Good article that explains the possibility of the Steelers bringing in another TE

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Agreed, Samuels was more of a receiving threat than used in the run game. I said in his draft year that his skillset reminded me more of Ronnie Harmon and I still think that.

As a TE, he isn't a good enough blocker to be much of a factor in the run game when lined up as a TE or H-back. Likewise he isn't athletic enough as a TE that a Safety cant cover him adequately. I think he is best suited where he is, as a RB to create mismatches vs LB's in the pass game, but a decent enough runner to get situational yards in the run game.
    Real question:
    Is Samuels that much “worse” at blocking than the current #2 & #3 TEs on the roster?

Were I in charge of the roster, I’d keep Samuels as the #3 RB... and the “emergency” #3 TE. It saves a roster spot for an extra WR or CB (or whomever).

Samuels had a hard time picking up ILB in pass protection last year, not betting he could seal the edge on a DE.

Asked and Answered: July 9

Bob Labriola
    STEELERS.COM

AARON AMBROSE FROM COLUMBUS, OH: The Steelers drafted Zach Gentry to replace Jesse James. What do you think of Gentry’s talent level vs. James’, and what can we realistically expect to see in his first year?

ANSWER: What Zach Gentry is able to contribute as a rookie will be determined by his ability to stay healthy enough during training camp to be able to practice daily so that he can work on his craft as he’s being coached. At this point, that’s an unknown, but I have been told Gentry is a more physical player than Jesse James.

https://www.steelers.com/news/asked-and-answered-july-9

Asked and Answered: July 9

Bob Labriola
    STEELERS.COM

AARON AMBROSE FROM COLUMBUS, OH: The Steelers drafted Zach Gentry to replace Jesse James. What do you think of Gentry’s talent level vs. James’, and what can we realistically expect to see in his first year?

ANSWER: What Zach Gentry is able to contribute as a rookie will be determined by his ability to stay healthy enough during training camp to be able to practice daily so that he can work on his craft as he’s being coached. At this point, that’s an unknown, but I have been told Gentry is a more physical player than Jesse James.

https://www.steelers.com/news/asked-and-answered-july-9
    I know this is off topic, but per that same “asked and answered” article
    I learned something new.

“ANSWER: For performance enhancing drugs (PEDs), NFL players can be tested at any time of the year, all year long. For substances classified as recreational drugs, such as marijuana, players who are not in the NFL’s substance-abuse program are to be tested just one time between April 20 and Aug. 9. If a player is not in the NFL’s substance-abuse program, that means he never has tested positive for recreational drugs at any time during his NFL career, nor at the Scouting Combine he attended.”

Does this mean that, if you’re not in the drug program, once you test clean in the preseason you can do all the recreational drugs you want with no fear of being tested?

Good to know. Not for me personally or anything...

Zach Gentry is going to win down the seam. Build-up speed player, long strider, use his size to be a big target for quarterbacks. That’s his game. If he has to break down and change directions, he’s going to struggle. Get him vertical.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/20...diary-day-six/

• Is Kevin Rader improving his stock in the race for the No. 3 tight end? The Pine-Richland product repped multiple times Thursday, supplanting fifth-round pick Gentry. Known more for blocking, Rader showed good hands with multiple “traffic” catches, including a touchdown.

• Former rugby player Christian Scotland-Williamson had a strong practice, at one point sealing Anthony Chickillo on the edge with a block. But Scotland-Williamson mostly gained notice for a “combat catch” for a touchdown in an 11-on-11 red-zone simulation. Coach Mike Tomlin grinned and yelled, “You just scored in American football, baby! Nice play!” Then Tomlin pointed across the field to tight ends coach James Daniel and said, “I know ‘JD’ is excited about this!”

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...put-on-notice/

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Zach Gentry is going to win down the seam. Build-up speed player, long strider, use his size to be a big target for quarterbacks. That’s his game. If he has to break down and change directions, he’s going to struggle. Get him vertical.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/20...diary-day-six/
    Gentry is a decent receiving threat and I think a converted QB from highschool. I think he can develop over a season or 2 and be a suitable replacement for James. If anybody watched any Michigan games or tape of him, they would see his understanding of defenses as a former QB help him to get open on the field for completions.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Gentry is a decent receiving threat and I think a converted QB from highschool. I think he can develop over a season or 2 and be a suitable replacement for James. If anybody watched any Michigan games or tape of him, they would see his understanding of defenses as a former QB help him to get open on the field for completions.
    He'll get the "Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeath" chant now.