Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Third string TE

Senior Member Array title="Hound is a jewel in the rough">

Third string TE

https://nfltraderumors.co/trade-lion...l-7th-rd-pick/
    Was hoping the Steelers would have made this move and secured the TE position. Maybe I’m completely wrong and Gentry is ready.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Third string TE

Roberts failed his physical...

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Third TE is gonna suck for years, we've fully committed to it
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Do teams even use 3rd string TEs for more than like 10 plays a season?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    not unless there's an injury to the top 2.

I think the Steelers have much bigger problems than who the 3rd string TE is going to be this season...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Sometimes they’re the long snapper.

my prediction: Zach Gentry will end up being just as good as Jesse James.

seriously, who on the Lions made the decision to pay JJ that much money?

Well, Vance hasn’t been the model of health throughout his career. Going back to San Francisco he was injured every season. Last season was Vance first full healthy season for the Steelers. So Yeah, the third string TE could be a big deal, and why wouldn’t anyone not want to upgrade any position on the team

- - - Updated - - -

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/st...chael-roberts/

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I think the thought right now is McDonald IS healthy, they seem to like the Xman for some reason, and they're giving Gentry time in TC and preseason to show he can make the squad. I would be ok with bringing in Leggett or similar quality TE for the competition but I don't feel it is urgent at this point. There are a couple PS guys already and Samuels was listed as a TE(SAK) on his scout sheet.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

I think the Steelers have much bigger problems than who the 3rd string TE is going to be this season...
    Exactly!

This is like a threat titled " Steelers #6 WR"

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/pl...-mcdonald/6717
    The facts are , most of his professional career he has got hurt. I hope he stays healthy for the whole season, I’m just concerned about the depth. The Steelers have been snake bitten before for not having sufficient backups. Besides JuJu and Vance there is a lot of unknowns at WR and TE. I would not mind the Steelers signing a veteran TE that is a decent receiver and a good blocker. All reports is Gentry struggles in the run game.

Pouncey puts wrap on spring practice, identifies top sleepers

By JIM WEXELL

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...amp-132857971/

Thanks for the article, was a good read. Hopefully when the pads get put on they both still look good.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Unfortunately, one of those problems is that we have also committed to a #2 TE who sucks. And another problem is that the #1 TE seems a bit injury-prone. Overall, I think we are a bit thin at the position and made a poor draft pick.

We might be fortunate and not have too many problems this season, but over a two or three-year period - yeah, we are going to see some REAL scrubs on the field for a significant amount of playing time.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

If the #3 TE spot is the biggest worry on this team they are in good shape.....

Depth TE can be found via trade during camp and preseason. This is nothing to worry about right now.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Talk about random thread topic...off-season is alllllllllllmost over...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Looking at the Steelers roster, the two positions that SEEM to lack depth if the starter gets hurt is TE and FS. With Vance history of injury, should be a position the Steelers need to add depth at. I’m sure before training camp starts a TE will be brought in

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Talk about random thread topic...off-season is alllllllllllmost over...
    Yep. Off season produces 3rd string TE and Greatest Backup QB in Steelers history threads. lol

Next up... is Sutton Smith the next Jon Kuhn HOF'er???

munchy

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Third TE is gonna suck for years, we've fully committed to it
    so is our second TE

Quote Originally Posted by munchy View Post
    so is our second TE
    Yeah, that's the only reason any of this matters. If we hadn't fucked up on the backup TE, then who cares about the third-string guy.

Instead, the problem is more like, we've got zero depth at the position, and our TE group might as well be called "Glass Joe and the FUCKIN Dipshits" - which incidentally was also the name of a garage band I was in during middle school.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Yeah, that's the only reason any of this matters. If we hadn't fucked up on the backup TE, then who cares about the third-string guy.

Instead, the problem is more like, we've got zero depth at the position, and our TE group might as well be called "Glass Joe and the FUCKIN Dipshits" - which incidentally was also the name of a garage band I was in during middle school.
    So were you Glass Joe or a Dipshit?

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    So were you Glass Joe or a Dipshit?
    Soda Popinski
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Vance is injury prone, a third string TE is now the second string TE, a rookie who has issues blocking is now the third string TE. I personally think this could be a issue for the team. I know some think it’s a nonissue, and it’s silly to even mention it. But Vance has a hard time staying healthy! https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/pl...-mcdonald/6717

Soda Popinski
    I don't think I ever made it past Hurricane whatshisname.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

People are forgetting about goal line fumble guy and maybe why. I think he is a decent 2 TE and can't we forgive him ? After all Boz Will be forgiven after he makes his first field goal.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    After all Boz Will be forgiven after he makes his first field goal.
    not if he misses his second one

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

not if he misses his second one
    True! Boz missed XP's pissed me off more though. Anyhow back on topic and lets talk Grimble.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Anyhow back on topic and lets talk Grimble.
    if we're gonna get back on topic then we need to discuss Zach Gentry. he's the Third string TE, not Grimble.

if we're gonna get back on topic then we need to discuss Zach Gentry. he's the Third string TE, not Grimble.
    I know that but everyone in this post is acting like we don't have a 2nd TE! Which I think is decent and glad he is on the team.

When James was the 1, Grimble was the 2. BUT when Green was here he was the 1 even though he seldom played making James the 2 and Grimble the 3. NOW with McDonald being the 1, Grimble is again the 2 only because James left. The way I see it McDonald is the 1, Grimble is still a 3, and Gentry hasn't made the 53 yet. I still think some TE of the 2nd tier will be brought in or traded for this offseason. I'm not sure why the blocking skill level is such a hot button with these TEs though. We have extra Tackles to put in in jumbo sets, we need a weapon TE to step up. Grimble and/or Gentry could still be that guy. Yes there is a need today but backup TE is not a panic position. Yet.