Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Florio On The Steelers

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Florio On The Steelers

OJ Simpson used to murder defenses. He was like a hot knife through butter... slashing back & forth until the opposition would keel over. When OJ was done with people, they would look like bobble-heads. Don’t get me started on his ability to cut. Simply, it was like OJ was out of his mind.

So... what OJ did on the field in the 70s isn’t suddenly erased by what he did later in life.

SUMMATION:
    AB can be both a HOF receiver and an a$$hole.

(They are not mutually exclusive.)

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I don’t see how this is weird or inconsistent. AB was well on his way to being the greatest receiver of all time. His work ethic was equal to none. That’s what we saw. That’s what we all knew. We weren’t wrong. We loved him, and rightly so.

Then either he changed or we all just learned knew things about him that we had no way of knowing before. Turns out the guy is crazy and selfish and everything else that has revealed itself recently.

There’s been no irrational flip flopping from commenters. Everything we said then was true, and based on new information, everything we’re saying now is true.

There’s no gotcha to be had about commenters adapting their thoughts based on what we know when we know it.

Remember when Patriots fans liked Aaron Hernandez? Yeah. So?
    Just because he turned asshole which has been happening for several years now, doesn’t mean his on field talent or work ethic has changed. But all if a sudden because he turned asshole and now plays on the Raiders, he’s not worthy of being in a conversation with Jerry Rice...lol. He goes from comparable to Jerry Rice in the off-season of 2018 to not worthy of Jerry Rice talk in the off-season of 2019. Basically...asshole and on Steelers in 2018 equals okay. Asshole extreme and on Raiders in 2019 equals not okay.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Just because he turned asshole which has been happening for several years now, doesn’t mean his on field talent or work ethic has changed. But all if a sudden because he turned asshole and now plays on the Raiders, he’s not worthy of being in a conversation with Jerry Rice...lol. He goes from comparable to Jerry Rice in the off-season of 2018 to not worthy of Jerry Rice talk in the off-season of 2019. Basically...asshole and on Steelers in 2018 equals okay. Asshole extreme and on Raiders in 2019 equals not okay.

I do not know who said that ...

One thing is for sure, the only thing I said was that Brown was not the only one who works hard but this comment has derailed this thread ... For his talent, if he stays healthy, he'll probably end 2nd in yards for his career, but continues to focus only on negatives that me or others say about Brown.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Of course he is still worthy of being in any conversation about his on field play. I’m not sure how you’re interpreting me to say otherwise.

I’m just addressing the comments that seem to be calling out commenters who used to love AB based on his play for us, and now think he’s a dick based on the fact that he’s a dick.

Why can’t we once have loved AB and now have new things to say about him given the new information we have about him.

So far I haven’t read any inconsistent comments about AB.

I doubt he’ll be as productive as he was with Ben, but did anyone around here ever say that he isn’t talented? If so, I have’t seen those comments.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    OJ Simpson used to murder defenses. He was like a hot knife through butter... slashing back & forth until the opposition would keel over. When OJ was done with people, they would look like bobble-heads. Don’t get me started on his ability to cut. Simply, it was like OJ was out of his mind.

So... what OJ did on the field in the 70s isn’t suddenly erased by what he did later in life.

SUMMATION:
    AB can be both a HOF receiver and an a$$hole.

(They are not mutually exclusive.)
    If anyone said otherwise, point me to the comment.

Maybe people think his play will decline a bit with age and based on the offense he’s in. But who said he sucks? People just think he’s a dick now. A talented dick, but a dick.

We just didn’t know what a dick he was before last year, so why is it weird that former fans of his no longer adore him? Hence my Aaron Hernandez example. You’re OJ example makes the same point I was making. We had every reason to like him before we knew he was an A-hole. Now we have every reason not to.

There’s nothing “classic” or eye-rolly about fans who once worshiped the guy ending the worship.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Hence my Aaron Hernandez example. You’re OJ example makes the same point I was making.
    Exactly