Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Florio On The Steelers

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Florio On The Steelers

OJ Simpson used to murder defenses. He was like a hot knife through butter... slashing back & forth until the opposition would keel over. When OJ was done with people, they would look like bobble-heads. Don’t get me started on his ability to cut. Simply, it was like OJ was out of his mind.

So... what OJ did on the field in the 70s isn’t suddenly erased by what he did later in life.

SUMMATION:
    AB can be both a HOF receiver and an a$$hole.

(They are not mutually exclusive.)

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I don’t see how this is weird or inconsistent. AB was well on his way to being the greatest receiver of all time. His work ethic was equal to none. That’s what we saw. That’s what we all knew. We weren’t wrong. We loved him, and rightly so.

Then either he changed or we all just learned knew things about him that we had no way of knowing before. Turns out the guy is crazy and selfish and everything else that has revealed itself recently.

There’s been no irrational flip flopping from commenters. Everything we said then was true, and based on new information, everything we’re saying now is true.

There’s no gotcha to be had about commenters adapting their thoughts based on what we know when we know it.

Remember when Patriots fans liked Aaron Hernandez? Yeah. So?
    Just because he turned asshole which has been happening for several years now, doesn’t mean his on field talent or work ethic has changed. But all if a sudden because he turned asshole and now plays on the Raiders, he’s not worthy of being in a conversation with Jerry Rice...lol. He goes from comparable to Jerry Rice in the off-season of 2018 to not worthy of Jerry Rice talk in the off-season of 2019. Basically...asshole and on Steelers in 2018 equals okay. Asshole extreme and on Raiders in 2019 equals not okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Just because he turned asshole which has been happening for several years now, doesn’t mean his on field talent or work ethic has changed. But all if a sudden because he turned asshole and now plays on the Raiders, he’s not worthy of being in a conversation with Jerry Rice...lol. He goes from comparable to Jerry Rice in the off-season of 2018 to not worthy of Jerry Rice talk in the off-season of 2019. Basically...asshole and on Steelers in 2018 equals okay. Asshole extreme and on Raiders in 2019 equals not okay.

I do not know who said that ...

One thing is for sure, the only thing I said was that Brown was not the only one who works hard but this comment has derailed this thread ... For his talent, if he stays healthy, he'll probably end 2nd in yards for his career, but continues to focus only on negatives that me or others say about Brown.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Of course he is still worthy of being in any conversation about his on field play. I’m not sure how you’re interpreting me to say otherwise.

I’m just addressing the comments that seem to be calling out commenters who used to love AB based on his play for us, and now think he’s a dick based on the fact that he’s a dick.

Why can’t we once have loved AB and now have new things to say about him given the new information we have about him.

So far I haven’t read any inconsistent comments about AB.

I doubt he’ll be as productive as he was with Ben, but did anyone around here ever say that he isn’t talented? If so, I have’t seen those comments.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    OJ Simpson used to murder defenses. He was like a hot knife through butter... slashing back & forth until the opposition would keel over. When OJ was done with people, they would look like bobble-heads. Don’t get me started on his ability to cut. Simply, it was like OJ was out of his mind.

So... what OJ did on the field in the 70s isn’t suddenly erased by what he did later in life.

SUMMATION:
    AB can be both a HOF receiver and an a$$hole.

(They are not mutually exclusive.)
    If anyone said otherwise, point me to the comment.

Maybe people think his play will decline a bit with age and based on the offense he’s in. But who said he sucks? People just think he’s a dick now. A talented dick, but a dick.

We just didn’t know what a dick he was before last year, so why is it weird that former fans of his no longer adore him? Hence my Aaron Hernandez example. You’re OJ example makes the same point I was making. We had every reason to like him before we knew he was an A-hole. Now we have every reason not to.

There’s nothing “classic” or eye-rolly about fans who once worshiped the guy ending the worship.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Hence my Aaron Hernandez example. You’re OJ example makes the same point I was making.
    Exactly

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

He became a ahole when JUJU stole some of his thunder and that is pretty much it.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Also this didn't happen over night and started in AB when he got famous. Nobody seen his true side till he actually had competition at wr with JUJU. Had JUJU not been on the team I bet AB would still be a Steeler and wouldn't left!

Bye bye AB and wish Amari Cooper was still with the Raiders and could imagine the drama between them!

AB will play nice and a team player as long as he is the big dog on the block!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It started whenever AB got that new deal and started his deal with Facebook...his ego just grew and grew.

It started whenever AB got that new deal and started his deal with Facebook...his ego just grew and grew.
    Yea have to agree as well. Yep he didn't turn into a ass overnight and some signs was there. Also his TD celebrations that caused the team 15 yards on kickoffs too.

The lack of leadership to the steelers has hurt too..... If we had Heath Miller or Hines Ward on the team in the killer B's era, maybe that would have helped a lot for the leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    That's because most likely, he wasn't.

I'd bet my Signature Line that he will be diagnosed with CTE post-mortem. Of course, I probably won't be alive when that occurs. Then, again, with the say he's seemingly spiraling . . .
    If you’re correct that’s really sad. AB really was a player worth admiring. Not just for his incredible production, but for everything we always heard about his work ethic and attitude.

As annoyed as I am by his recent behavior, I really hope he’s just an immature diva and not a victim of genuine brain damage. If that turns out to be the case, even more reason to despise Vontez Burfict.

That's because most likely, he wasn't.

I'd bet my Signature Line that he will be diagnosed with CTE post-mortem. Of course, I probably won't be alive when that occurs. Then, again, with the say he's seemingly spiraling . . .
    Indeed. It has to be “something”.

As I stated when the (pitiful) trade was made, I think that we got about all that we could get. Other teams were scared off by his pending (furniture) and future court cases.

Indeed. It has to be “something”.

As I stated when the (pitiful) trade was made, I think that we got about all that we could get. Other teams were scared off by his pending (furniture) and future court cases.
    I was actually someone who desperately wanted to work something out to keep our greatest receiver ever, especially when the Steelers seemed to hold all the cards. Personally, I don’t make as much of the whole “drama” thing as most, and firmly believe that winning creates chemistry FAR more than the other way around.

But if you guys are right... and I VERY MUCH respect your take on this... then maybe something did happen that we just don’t understand and it’s foolish for me to think the organization could have done something to get our formerly beloved wr back.

Maybe the same guy just doesn’t exist anymore.

I would have loved Brown to be with the steelers for his entire career but with the last season and with all the drama in the last 2-3 seasons that the steelers had, it was time for a change.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

I think he does, as long as you throw him the ball at least 15 times a game.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The lack of leadership to the steelers has hurt too..... If we had Heath Miller or Hines Ward on the team in the killer B's era, maybe that would have helped a lot for the leadership.
    Heath, perhaps. Not Ward. His leadership wouldn't have helped AB because the type of leadership Ward provided was more along the lines of Pay Attention! Take notes in WR meetings, rookie! You're not walking off the field after only 50 reps on the JUGS machine, are you? And so on. AB didn't need that as he was already doing all of those things (and is evident in his stats). I don't see Ward corralling off-field issues and attitudes.

Heath, perhaps. Not Ward. His leadership wouldn't have helped AB because the type of leadership Ward provided was more along the lines of Pay Attention! Take notes in WR meetings, rookie! You're not walking off the field after only 50 reps on the JUGS machine, are you? And so on. AB didn't need that as he was already doing all of those things (and is evident in his stats). I don't see Ward corralling off-field issues and attitudes.
    Wasn’t Heath more of a quiet-lead-by-example type? That kind of thing certainly wouldn’t work on a character like AB.

Maybe Heath did grab guys by the collar and tell them to shape up. But if he did, I never heard about it.

The truth is there probably was no winning strategy that could have been employed through “leadership” to prevent AB from becoming the problem that he became. Ben tried the tough love thing and we saw how that worked out.

And it’s not like I that locker room is devoid of leaders. If guys like Pouncey, Foster, and Hayward couldn’t affect AB positively through proper leadership, I highly doubt Heath Miller or Hines Ward would have had the magic secret.

When you think about it, the strategy that was most effective was Tomlin’s original strategy that got incredible production from AB for years: coddle him with special treatment for the super star that he is. The real problem of AB wanting out only arose when Tomlin flipped the script on him out of the blue and suddenly held him to a normal standard without warning.

Perhaps that was the “right” thing to do if justice and fairness is the goal, but not if keeping AB on the team was the goal.

Also there was the issue of AB getting the new agent and wanting more money, so perhaps there was no practical strategy that would have kept AB on the team and fixed his attitude problem.

Alas, I don’t think he does.

My Spidey-sense told me that major trouble is on the horizon for AB.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe Heath did grab guys by the collar and tell them to shape up. But if he did, I never heard about it.
    Heath handled things quietly most of the time. One time, he told AB to “shut up” and it got out.

That version of AB listened.
    This version of AB... not so much.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Heath handled things quietly most of the time. One time, he told AB to “shut up” and it got out.

That version of AB listened.
    This version of AB... not so much.
    Heath also would never have called out a teammate publicly...

Florio has been pretty high on the Steelers this offseason and sees them winning the division. I am forced to agree with him this time.
    so no need to personally insult and attack Florio then?

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    so no need to personally insult and attack Florio then?
    Well, I wouldn’t go THAT far. There’s always room to personally insult and attack Florio.

But seriously, I know Florio is disliked amongst many Steelers fans, but I tend to find him entertaining. At least sometimes.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. To think there was a time that AB could hear constructive criticism and react
    positively to it.

For some reason that makes me sad. Oh what could have been if only AB had retained that attitude.

Well, I wouldn’t go THAT far. There’s always room to personally insult and attack Florio.

But seriously, I know Florio is disliked amongst many Steelers fans, but I tend to find him entertaining. At least sometimes. .
    Florio & I got into it about a year ago.

He wrote an an article about Bell, which had an inaccuracy. I called him out on it... and he wrote an entirely new article, focused on “Steelers fans”. It could easily have been titled: “Eff Teegre!!!”

Florio & I got into it about a year ago.

He wrote an an article about Bell, which had an inaccuracy. I called him out on it... and he wrote an entirely new article, focused on “Steelers fans”. It could easily have been titled: “Eff Teegre!!!”
    That would be fun to read. Is the article still out there?