Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buy Or Sell: Steelers Don’t Know When To Let Go Of A Player

Re: Buy Or Sell: Steelers Don’t Know When To Let Go Of A Player

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    My thoughts on that can be summed up as: You are right inasmuch as the rules of the game and the style of play have been changing to favor the offense. So every defense has been going through tougher times.

But, the Steelers also seem to have chronic problems with certain stuff for some reason, and we keep "banging our head against the wall" with certain schemes or types of players that do not work out as intended. And we stick with both for YEARS, apparently hoping for things to change on their own, like subpar players suddenly turning into great players, or playing a 3-4 defense with no nose tackle suddenly working as if there was a nose tackle, or having a lack of speed at linebacker and expecting it to work as if there was no lack of speed.

I can't honestly say whether that's a leaguewide problem or not, but it definitely feels as if there are these specific cases where ... there are aspects of defense that are by no means simple or easy, but we make our problems worse instead of better. And we fail in ways that generally turn it into a fatal flaw, that disqualifies you from championship contention, even though the team overall may be pretty talented.
    That might be true. I wonder sometimes if we aren't expecting too much from players. Instead of giving them horribly complex assignments, just give them a jersey number and tell them to make sure that guy doesn't catch the ball. Then, when we draft, we draft someone who has the speed and skills to make sure that doesn't happen. Of course, it's going to be more difficult than that since teams have to use multiple schemes, but I do wonder if we couldn't simplify it a bit if nothing else but for our scouting. And, that brings up another issue I wonder about. Is part of the reason we have these problems is because talent isn't there for the taking. Sure, we've had misses in the CB and Safety areas, but in truth, how much of that is because our scouts and coaches have had to adjust what they were looking for? When we change schemes (such moving away from a true fire-blitz defense to a hodge-podge 3-4 where the linemen are now supposed to tackle and players have different assignments), I think we forget about how that affects things like scouting.

All of that said, I'm still not sure if other teams don't have the same problems. Or, if they don't have a different problem that's a continual issue for them because teams like the Steelers have swept up the talent in that area? Like for instance, the D line? Or, the O line? There's only so many NFL quality players, and even fewer on the defensive side of the ball, and even fewer than that who can run with today receivers and against today's QBs.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

To go along with this thread topic what are the thoughts on contract extensions for Haden and Hilton? Both have said the want new contracts. Both have played well. Both will need to be replaced in the next 3-5 years. 2yr deals for each? 3years? And at what price? CB contracts are expensive. Nelson signed for something like 7M-8M didn’t he? And Haden is currently at 11M? Apparently we still need a TE or 2, plus safeties aren’t cheap either. And this could very well be Bud’s last year so in the market for a starting caliber OLB too. Any thoughts?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    To go along with this thread topic what are the thoughts on contract extensions for Haden and Hilton? Both have said the want new contracts. Both have played well. Both will need to be replaced in the next 3-5 years. 2yr deals for each? 3years? And at what price? CB contracts are expensive. Nelson signed for something like 7M-8M didn’t he? And Haden is currently at 11M? Apparently we still need a TE or 2, plus safeties aren’t cheap either. And this could very well be Bud’s last year so in the market for a starting caliber OLB too. Any thoughts?
    Re-sign Haden. One more year at CB, and then switch him to FS.

Hilton was on his way to be the best slot CB in the league, but then he tapered off. Sutton has supposedly made Hilton expendable. One of them needs to be re-signed.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Re-sign Haden. One more year at CB, and then switch him to FS.

Hilton was on his way to be the best slot CB in the league, but then he tapered off. Sutton has supposedly made Hilton expendable. One of them needs to be re-signed.
    I think the switch to FS for Haden is inevitable. Haden has even said that much. I think I’m reading into your post that Davis’ contract is up after next season so the perfect time to make the ‘Haden to FS switch’. Is a FS contract more team friendly than a CB contract? I don’t know.

Hilton is only 25. I would at least try to work out a 2 year deal. I have been a huge fan of Sutton since his draft but of the 2 I think Hilton has performed better and more consistently. Wasn’t Nelson predominantly a slot guy that could play outside? There’s always that leverage for the team with contract negotiations too.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Good question ... I do not know but it's up to the steelers to judge that ... After the last season, I wanted the steelers to make a fire sale but I think it would have been a bad idea .... but a bad season in 2019, it's going to be the time ....

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I think we extend Haden. I’m not sure if that helps or hurts with our current cap situation.

I really like Hilton and think it would be nice to give him a deal if we can afford it. With AB’s dead money coming off the books next year do we just wait until the end of the season? Or will we lose him to FA if we do that?

Hopefully Layne proves himself this year and we go into 2020 with a stable of quality CBs.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I think we extend Haden. I’m not sure if that helps or hurts with our current cap situation.

I really like Hilton and think it would be nice to give him a deal if we can afford it. With AB’s dead money coming off the books next year do we just wait until the end of the season? Or will we lose him to FA if we do that?

Hopefully Layne proves himself this year and we go into 2020 with a stable of quality CBs.
    Is Hilton signed for 2019? Did he even signed the tender yet?

If they let Haden go, they would need multiple people to step up in a big way. At this stage, with the unknown, there’s no way they can’t re-sign Haden. Obviously there’s still a lot of time in between now and then and a lot can or cannot happen. But if everything were to stand pat, they’d have no choice but to re-sign Haden.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I think the switch to FS for Haden is inevitable. Haden has even said that much. I think I’m reading into your post that Davis’ contract is up after next season so the perfect time to make the ‘Haden to FS switch’. Is a FS contract more team friendly than a CB contract? I don’t know.

Hilton is only 25. I would at least try to work out a 2 year deal. I have been a huge fan of Sutton since his draft but of the 2 I think Hilton has performed better and more consistently. Wasn’t Nelson predominantly a slot guy that could play outside? There’s always that leverage for the team with contract negotiations too.
    I really liked Sean Davis; I was certain that he’d be a very good FS. But then, he regressed (albeit he is currently on his way back up). His agent is known for asking for “big” money, and I’m not sure we can gamble on Davis continuing to progress.

As far as Hilton & Sutton go, I think they'll extend one, but not both. It’s akin to Wallace & AB. Hilton has easily outperformed Sutton, but Sutton has the higher ceiling. It’ll depend on the pre-season (because, contract negotiations cease once the regular season starts).

munchy

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    They had a couple years where the roster really was that bad while rebuilding after the 2011 season. Without Ben you would have seen that type of record, but I think overall they have had pretty good talent most years.

Since Roethlisberger has been with the team, his backup quarterbacks have won about half the games they started.

This upcoming season is going to tell us a lot about the state of the Steelers roster and coaching staff.
    im waiting for ben to retire or tomlin to switch teams before i can evaluate how great of a coach tomlin and his staff are

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by munchy View Post
    im waiting for ben to retire or tomlin to switch teams before i can evaluate how great of a coach tomlin and his staff are

You might have to wait awhile.

I know that many will never believe Tomlin can coach until that happens. Maybe we will get to see it.

Hopefully, the team has some real success in the next year or two so that the question can already be answered before Ben leaves. If not, Tomlin may not be here much longer.

munchy

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    You might have to wait awhile.

I know that many will never believe Tomlin can coach until that happens. Maybe we will get to see it.

Hopefully, the team has some real success in the next year or two so that the question can already be answered before Ben leaves. If not, Tomlin may not be here much longer.

it wont be answered for me until he doesnt have a HOF qb but im all for the steelers having some real success until then

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by munchy View Post
    it wont be answered for me until he doesnt have a HOF qb but im all for the steelers having some real success until then
    You can also not answer if Bill Walsh was a good coach or not ....

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    If Bill Walsh had come along in like, 1984, and inherited a 15-1 championship team, and then after Jerry Rice and Roger Craig came along and he still had Montana, he never won shit and the 49ers missed the playoffs half the time ... then yes, I think you could definitely form a solid argument about whether Walsh was a good coach or not.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

munchy

If Bill Walsh had come along in like, 1984, and inherited a 15-1 championship team, and then after Jerry Rice and Roger Craig came along and he still had Montana, he never won shit and the 49ers missed the playoffs half the time ... then yes, I think you could definitely form a solid argument about whether Walsh was a good coach or not.
    how about barry switzer?
    that dude was one of the best ever. unfortunately he wasnt allowed to do it long term

munchy

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post

didnt walsh draft montana?

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Is Hilton signed for 2019? Did he even signed the tender yet?

If they let Haden go, they would need multiple people to step up in a big way. At this stage, with the unknown, there’s no way they can’t re-sign Haden. Obviously there’s still a lot of time in between now and then and a lot can or cannot happen. But if everything were to stand pat, they’d have no choice but to re-sign Haden.
    Hilton has not signed his tender. But he’s taken part in all OTAs and says he has no intention of holding out. He wants a long term deal but he’s trying to do it the right way: by proving himself while staying loyal to the Steelers, rather than trying to force their hand.

He’s basically said he’s doing it the way Big Al did in hopes that he’ll get rewarded for it.

In a time of trying to get past guys like Bell and AB with their strong arm tactics, I really appreciate the way Hilton is going about it. You have to root for the guy. He knows the Steelers don’t want any drama right now and he’s helping the situation rather than hurting it. The Steelers traditionally reward this type of behavior when they can.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Hilton has not signed his tender. But he’s taken part in all OTAs and says he has no intention of holding out. He wants a long term deal but he’s trying to do it the right way: by proving himself while staying loyal to the Steelers, rather than trying to force their hand.

He’s basically said he’s doing it the way Big Al did in hopes that he’ll get rewarded for it.

In a time of trying to get past guys like Bell and AB with their strong arm tactics, I really appreciate the way Hilton is going about it. You have to root for the guy. He knows the Steelers don’t want any drama right now and he’s helping the situation rather than hurting it. The Steelers traditionally reward this type of behavior when they can.

I also don't think he has quite the leverage to pull a holdout or cause drama, and he knows that too. He hasn't even established himself as a full-time player yet. Like, it would kind of suck to lose him, but the team would move on.

Having said that, there are still PLENTY of people in that position who are too stupid to understand it, and who would cause problems anyway, so I'm glad to see he has the sense to see that trying to WIN a big contract is the better move than going negative.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I also don't think he has quite the leverage to pull a holdout or cause drama, and he knows that too. He hasn't even established himself as a full-time player yet. Like, it would kind of suck to lose him, but the team would move on.

Having said that, there are still PLENTY of people in that position who are too stupid to understand it, and who would cause problems anyway, so I'm glad to see he has the sense to see that trying to WIN a big contract is the better move than going negative.
    I agree. Hilton is doing the smartest possible thing given his position.

But I like to think there’s more too it than lack of leverage. I like to think Hilton is doing it the right way because that’s the kind of man he is.

The truth is if the Steelers cut him he won’t be on the street for long. But I think he does want to be a Steeler long term.

This

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. Hilton is doing the smartest possible thing given his position.

But I like to think there’s more too it than lack of leverage. I like to think Hilton is doing it the right way because that’s the kind of man he is.

The truth is if the Steelers cut him he won’t be on the street for long. But I think he does want to be a Steeler long term.
    ...and, this.