Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Believe it: Steelers are in midst of one of best decades in NFL history

Hybrid View

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Believe it: Steelers are in midst of one of best decades in NFL history

It seems as if many Pittsburgh Steelers fans feel somewhere on a spectrum of unfulfilled to disappointed to frustrated with how their team has played over the past nine seasons.

Turns out, the Steelers have been borderline-historically good.

Data compiled by German reporter René Bugner evaluates every NFL team’s record by calendar decade since the AFL/NFL merger (i.e., 1970’s, 1980’s, 1990’s, 2000’s, 2010’s). And although the current 10-year span ranks just third-best for the Steelers among the five decades for the franchise, it’s among the top 15 decades the combined league has seen.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Believe it: Steelers are in midst of one of best decades in NFL history

Regular season is meaningless when you have only won 3 playoff games in the past 8 years and lose playoff games to the likes of Tebow and Bortles.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Regular season is meaningless when you have only won 3 playoff games in the past 8 years and lose playoff games to the likes of Tebow and Bortles.
    I prefer the 1990s of the steelers that this decade ... I hate the underachiever and the killer B era were the most disappointing era in steelers history ... I know the steelers had worse teams, but as disappointment,it was the most frustrating.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I prefer the 1990s of the steelers that this decade ... I hate the underachiever and the killer B era were the most disappointing era in steelers history ... I know the steelers had worse teams, but as disappointment,it was the most frustrating.
    Agree. The underachieving and the drAma dis what drags this team to the disappointment levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Don't you have to win regular season games to make the playoffs? I guess they're somewhat important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Don't you have to win regular season games to make the playoffs? I guess they're somewhat important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In this list, the steelers have the least (or tie for least) of playoffs apparence (in fact, one more than the redskins in the 1980's but only 5 teams by conference made the playoffs in this decade), super bowl win, super bowl make, conference title game and division title.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Woo hoo.
    Last edited by Edman; 06-08-2019 at 12:47 AM.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Noticed that 6 of the top 11 records on that list came from the top heavy 70s where the Steelers, Dolphins, and Cowboys won 8 of the 10 Super Bowls

Steelers teams of this decade are in the midst of one of the best NFL decades the same way the 70s Rams (67.52 winning %) were - flawed teams featuring constant playoff flameouts and a loss in their only Super Bowl appearance

Since the 70s Raiders, 70s Cowboys and 70s Dolphins had better overall records I guess they had a better decade than the 70s Steelers did if overall record is what really matters

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Noticed that 6 of the top 11 records on that list came from the top heavy 70s where the Steelers, Dolphins, and Cowboys won 8 of the 10 Super Bowls

Steelers teams of this decade are in the midst of one of the best NFL decades the same way the 70s Rams (67.52 winning %) were - flawed teams featuring constant playoff flameouts and a loss in their only Super Bowl appearance

Since the 70s Cowboys and 70s Dolphins had better overall records I guess they had a better decade than the 70s Steelers did
    What's odd about the rams in the 1970s is that their worst year in the regular season (in 1979) from 1973 to 1980 is this team who made the super bowl.They also gave a good fight to the steelers in the super bowl.

Also for the Steelers vs. Cowboys and Dolphins in the 1970s, the only reason that Miami and Dallas had a better record than the Steelers in that decade was because Pittsburgh were still rebuilding in 1970 and 1971.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

That's a nice consolation prize...

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    That's a nice consolation prize...
    maybe the NFL can give us a nice shiny participation trophy...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    ....or a certificate of merit we can hang in the locker room.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Ask Terry Bradshaw what is the significance of 4 Super Bowl rings.
    All Defense!

munchy

i dont know what make me more tingly, that chart or our current .500 or better record

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

These facts do not align with my personal opinions!
    I will now begin the process of rejecting these facts and aligning reality to better fit my personal opinions!

Notice how the original post was not attempting to designate a subjective ranking of best teams or most underachieving roster or whatever this thread has turned into. It was simply saying that these are the X highest percentage of wins versus games played in a variety of roughly ten year periods.

You know who isn't on there? Noted awesome teams and coaches such as the Saints, Ravens, Packers, and Giants.

I do not understand why it is so hard for people to accept the the Steelers are winning games at a historic rate. Just not as many as we all might like. But still, it needs to be acknowledged that they are winning games at a sustained and noteworthy clip.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

I will now begin the process of rejecting these facts and aligning reality to better fit my personal opinions!

Notice how the original post was not attempting to designate a subjective ranking of best teams or most underachieving roster or whatever this thread has turned into. It was simply saying that these are the X highest percentage of wins versus games played in a variety of roughly ten year periods.

You know who isn't on there? Noted awesome teams and coaches such as the Saints, Ravens, Packers, and Giants.

I do not understand why it is so hard for people to accept the the Steelers are winning games at a historic rate. Just not as many as we all might like. But still, it needs to be acknowledged that they are winning games at a sustained and noteworthy clip.
    The chart is fine - the Steelers have won a lot of games this decade - certainly better than being the Jets or the Bills

But the headline for the linked article is

Hard to have one of the best decades when you were never the best in any season during that decade by winning a Lombardi. The Steelers were the team of the 70s because of their Lombardis even though three other teams had better overall records.

A devoted NFL fan probably can rattle off the Super Bowl champs for the past 10 years - doubtful anywhere near as many remember or care who had the best record during those seasons

The chart is fine - the Steelers have won a lot of games this decade - certainly better than being the Jets or the Bills

Hard to have one of the best decades when you were never the best in any season during that decade by winning a Lombardi. The Steelers were the team of the 70s because of their Lombardis even though three other teams had better overall records.

A devoted NFL fan probably can rattle off the Super Bowl champs for the past 10 years - doubtful anywhere near as many remember or care who had the best record during those seasons
    Just because someone put a clickbait headline on a set of facts doesn't change the validity of that set of facts. I would far prefer that the Steelers win a few more AFCGs and a SB or 7. But I can also hold the thought in my head that they have been winning a consistently competitive number of games year in and year out for 18 years. That should be acknowledged and kinda marveled at. That is 2 decades of never really being out of it. There are franchises that would trade their entire team history for that kinda run of 9-11 wins per season.

I guess I don't get why it seems impossible to acknowledge that both things are true at the same time:
    1. Damn! That is a butt-load of winning.
    2. Damn! Seems like all that winning should have produced more trophies!

But this board seems to always get stuck on this being a binary set of thoughts. It really isn't.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I remember in the 90s when the Chiefs went 14-2 and then 1 and done in the playoffs. Then let's talk about Marty Schottenheimer and Norv Turner as head coaches.
    All Defense!

All that winning in the regular season yet all they have to show for it are 5 postseason wins (3 in the last 8 years). Postseason wins is the stat that really matters

All that winning in the regular season yet all they have to show for it are 5 postseason wins (3 in the last 8 years). Postseason wins is the stat that really matters
    Again. This time I will do it in less words

Need win regular season game get postseason game. Not win postseason game bad. Win postseason game more gooder. But not win enough regular season game never get postseason game gooder or badder.

munchy

Again. This time I will do it in less words

Need win regular season game get postseason game. Not win postseason game bad. Win postseason game more gooder. But not win enough regular season game never get postseason game gooder or badder.

hows this?
    success in regular season has allowed us to fail in post season

Quote Originally Posted by munchy View Post
    hows this?
    success in regular season has allowed us to fail in post season
    You have to win 9-11 games in the 16 game regular season schedule each year to ensure that you qualify for the postseason. You can not succeed or fail in the postseason if you do not first win the majority of your regular season games.

This is not a revolutionary concept.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Fun Fact, The 2010's Steelers have to win at least 14 games in 2019 in order to tie the 2000's Steelers* win total.

*-The 2000's Steelers had a losing season (6-10) in 2003.

This decade is only the 4th best decade of the steelers since 1970

Yes the steelers had some worst teams in their history(especially in the late 1980s), but the killer B era were the most disappointing in steelers history(Not only because they did not win the super bowl, but only one title game in this era, despite a weak conference for the most part) both on and off the field.

In my opinion, the great era of Steelers football in the 21 century was 2001-2010. The credentials are 7 postseason appearances, 6 seasons with at least one playoff win, 12 playoff wins, 5 AFC Championship game appearances, 3 Super Bowl appearances, and 2 Super Bowl wins. The overall record is 118-58-1 (106-53-1 regular season and 12-5 postseason). That's good enough for a 66.9% percentage. Since 2011, they've been complete disappointments and complete underachievers. The decade as a whole needs 2010 (the end of this aforementioned great era more reflective of the successes of the 2000s than the failures of the 2010s) to put them on this list because without 2010, they are off the list entirely.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

In my opinion, the great era of Steelers football in the 21 century was 2001-2010. The credentials are 7 postseason appearances, 6 seasons with at least one playoff win, 12 playoff wins, 5 AFC Championship game appearances, 3 Super Bowl appearances, and 2 Super Bowl wins. The overall record is 118-58-1 (106-53-1 regular season and 12-5 postseason). That's good enough for a 66.9% percentage. Since 2011, they've been complete disappointments and complete underachievers. The decade as a whole needs 2010 (the end of this aforementioned great era more reflective of the successes of the 2000s than the failures of the 2010s) to put them on this list because without 2010, they are off the list entirely.
    I agree. I thoroughly enjoyed 2001-2010, and felt it was on par with the 1970s. (Here come the people to rip me apart.) Watching Troy was almost as good as getting a Lombardi. Plus, Super Bowl XLIII was the best game I’ve ever seen.

Agreed. That era was by any evaluation far more successful and rewarding. But just because one thing was more great doesn't always mean anything else is awful.

Good beer is a wonder. Bad beer is still better than no beer.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Agreed. That era was by any evaluation far more successful and rewarding. But just because one thing was more great doesn't always mean anything else is awful.

Good beer is a wonder. Bad beer is still better than no beer.
    Indeed It’s been a shit ton better than the 80s.

I also loved (LOVED) ‘92-‘97.

‘90-‘91 and ‘98-‘00 kind of ruin that decade, but those other six seasons were some of my favorite... albeit, three of them ended with completely heartbreaking losses.