Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Believe it: Steelers are in midst of one of best decades in NFL history

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: Believe it: Steelers are in midst of one of best decades in NFL history

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    The chart is fine - the Steelers have won a lot of games this decade - certainly better than being the Jets or the Bills

But the headline for the linked article is

Believe it: Steelers are in midst of one of best decades in NFL history

Hard to have one of the best decades when you were never the best in any season during that decade by winning a Lombardi. The Steelers were the team of the 70s because of their Lombardis even though three other teams had better overall records.

A devoted NFL fan probably can rattle off the Super Bowl champs for the past 10 years - doubtful anywhere near as many remember or care who had the best record during those seasons
    I remember in the 90s when the Chiefs went 14-2 and then 1 and done in the playoffs. Then let's talk about Marty Schottenheimer and Norv Turner as head coaches.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Tim Benz: This decade of Steelers football isn’t what numbers suggest

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz...mbers-suggest/

munchy

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    You have to win 9-11 games in the 16 game regular season schedule each year to ensure that you qualify for the postseason. You can not succeed or fail in the postseason if you do not first win the majority of your regular season games.

This is not a revolutionary concept.
    im not sure anyone here is disputing the fact that you need to be successful in the regular season to make the post season im not sure who you think you are arguing with.
    my post, that you highlighted, certainly doesnt contradict your revolutionary concept

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    The 2010's were worse than awful...they were above average. At least with an awful team or a great team you know what you have. The 2010's Steelers were a good team that hardly truly played up to its potential. They never won big games. They never had that big time moment against a big time opponent. They continually struggled with inferior opponents, and continually face planted.

The 2010's Steelers gave the hope and illusion of breaking through, and they never did. They amounted to nothing more than above average when they had the ability to be great. The amount of crappy and inferior teams/QB's they lost to is staggering, and they never went to a Super Bowl (The 2010 team doesn't really count because that was the remnants of the 00's veteran core if anything else). Once they started to break up, the 10's disappointments started.

Unless some miracle happens and the 2019 team exceeds all expectations and wins the Super Bowl, The 2010's will go down as a sad and frustrating era in Steeler history.

The Steelers have a new young core of players led by Edmunds, Davis, Juju, Watt, Bush, Conner, and Samuels, some hopefuls in Snell and two potential heirs to Ben in Rudolph and/or Dobbs. Here's hoping 2020's will be better.

coaching maybe?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It was said that regular season games/success are meaningless and that all regular season success has done is lead to the team failing in the playoffs.

If you don't win enough to get into the playoffs you can't either succeed or fail in the playoffs. So a good to really good regular season record can not nor should not just be shrugged off.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The Steelers are currently on their weakest streak of success since the 1980's.

The 80's Steelers had a 2-4 record in the playoffs. One AFC Title game appearance. With the likes of Mark Malone and Bubby Brister at Quarterback.

The 2010's Steelers have a 3-5 record in the playoffs. One AFC Title game appearance. With Ben Roethlisberger at Quarterback.

If that isn't underachievement, I don't know what is.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    The 2010's Steelers have a 3-5 record in the playoffs. One AFC Title game appearance. With Ben Roethlisberger at Quarterback.

If that isn't underachievement, I don't know what is.
    hard to argue with that...

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    hard to argue with that...
    Last couple playoff appearances injuries played a big part. Losing to the Jags was a joke though.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Last couple playoff appearances injuries played a big part. Losing to the Jags was a joke though.
    for me personally the toughest playoff loss was when we got Tebowed, the worst defensive game plan I have ever seen.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

for me personally the toughest playoff loss was when we got Tebowed, the worst defensive game plan I have ever seen.
    For sure but I'm talking the the last 5 years with the killer Bee's

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    For sure but I'm talking the the last 5 years with the killer Bee's
    what a disappointment the Killer B's era turned out to be, huh?

I prefer to miss the playoffs that severely underachieve like the killer B's era.

Even that, the steelers missed the playoffs 3 times in this decade and the team was at one play away to miss the playoffs in 2016 and was a Bills loss away in 2015 to also miss the playoffs.

More disappointing era of football for the steelers, even if sometimes they had teams worse than that.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I might be the only person who actually thought that it was an ingenious gameplan. It forced a “QB who couldn’t throw” to make perfect throws. Alas, Tebow had a “perfect” game.

The TD pass to Eddie Kennison is a case-in-point.

William Gay was in perfect position; he even got his hands between Kennison’s arms. Yet, the ball dropped at the absolute perfect angle for the TD reception... and... Kennsion caught it. A great QB makes that pass 1 out of 50 times. A HOF receiver makes that catch 1 out of 10 times. Yet, a somewhat decent WR made that catch, and if you gave Tebow 10,000 attempts, he miiiiight repeat that throw.

What gets forgotten in that game was that Ryan Clark could not play in Denver, and we lost Casey Hampton & Brett Keisel on the opening drive. Ergo, the gameplan for the safeties to both play “in the box” because exacerbated. And, Ryan Mundy simply wasn’t up to the task.

Also, in regulation, we are in (long) FG range. We were in position to kick the game-winning FG. Then, on back-to-back plays, Ben takes huge sacks... knocking us well out of FG range.

SUMMATION:
    It was the perfect storm of: injuries, bad play by key Steelers, and miracle games by a few Broncos.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I might be the only person who actually thought that it was an ingenious gameplan. It forced a “QB who couldn’t throw” to make perfect throws. Alas, Tebow had a “perfect” game.

The TD pass to Eddie Kennison is a case-in-point.

William Gay was in perfect position; he even got his hands between Kennison’s arms. Yet, the ball dropped at the absolute perfect angle for the TD reception... and... Kennsion caught it. A great QB makes that pass 1 out of 50 times. A HOF receiver makes that catch 1 out of 10 times. Yet, a somewhat decent WR made that catch, and if you gave Tebow 10,000 attempts, he miiiiight repeat that throw.

What gets forgotten in that game was that Ryan Clark could not play in Denver, and we lost Casey Hampton & Brett Keisel on the opening drive. Ergo, the gameplan for the safeties to both play “in the box” because exacerbated. And, Ryan Mundy simply wasn’t up to the task.

Also, in regulation, we are in (long) FG range. We were in position to kick the game-winning FG. Then, on back-to-back plays, Ben takes huge sacks... knocking us well out of FG range.

SUMMATION:
    It was the perfect storm of: injuries, bad play by key Steelers, and miracle games by a few Broncos.
    If the steelers would not have changed their system in defense, that would never have happened

I mean, no matter what QB you play against, you can never get vulnerable to the deep pass, especially on every play ... Tebow always struggled in his completion % regardless of the distance of his passes, so everything what the steelers had to do was not give a long gain for the few times Tebow completed a pass, but Tebow had 31.6 yards per completion

It would have been the perfect game to play the tackle the catch game since Tebow struggles a lot with the routine throw.

The only way the Broncos would score a lot of points with Tebow (20 points or more) was with the big play.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The three postseason wins weren't that great either. And get even worse when you go into context.

2015 @ Cincinnati: 18-16. The Steelers gag away a 15-0 Lead and were effectively fucked until Burfuck and Pacman had their catastropic meltdown.

2016 vs Miami: 30-12 win in the most complete playoff performance of the 2010's. Against a really crappy Dolphins Team with a -17 points differential forced to start Matt Moore at QB.

2016 @ KC: 18-16. The Steelers beat Kansas City without scoring a single touchdown.

In four of their five playoff losses, the 2010's Steelers were beaten by a touchdown or more. Even the Jags playoff loss looked better than it did due to the trademark garbage time stat padding. Ben dry heaves an early short field to the Jaguars and throws in a Fumble Six for good measure. The Steelers were never close in that game and were down 28-7 by the second quarter. Finish it off with abominable playcalling, and it was curtains.

Our percentage of wins in this decade (especially in the killer B's era) is like empty stats

Lots of win because of the talent, but outside of the christmas game in 2016 against the Ravens and maybe the game vs Denver in the regular season in 2015, not a lot of big and memorable moment in this era.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Not for me

That Steelers team already was banged up with Ben playing on one leg and was not going deep in the playoffs after the season turned with a last minute loss in November at Heinz to the Ravens (IMO the game that was the beginning of the end for Arians because the offense could not run out the clock and AJRII had seen enough with that and Ben getting pounded for another season)

As teegre has posted, during the Tebow game the injuries continued with Keisel and Hampton going out after Ryan Clark could not play at altitude due to his sickle cell condition.

The trip to New England the next week if the Steelers had won would have been a 2007 or 2013 level blowout in Foxboro. I had no interest in seeing that.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    If the steelers would not have changed their system in defense, that would never have happened

I mean, no matter what QB you play against, you can never get vulnerable to the deep pass, especially on every play ... Tebow always struggled in his completion % regardless of the distance of his passes, so everything what the steelers had to do was not give a long gain for the few times Tebow completed a pass, but Tebow had 31.6 yards per completion

It would have been the perfect game to play the tackle the catch game since Tebow struggles a lot with the routine throw.

The only way the Broncos would score a lot of points with Tebow (20 points or more) was with the big play.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Completely meaningless stat. Only shows how bad the team underachieved.

0 super bowl victories in the last ten years
    1 super bowl appearance (2010)
    how many AFCCG’s since 2010? One?

thats embarrassing

if the stat was meant to make Tomlin and co look good it actually does the reverse.

munchy

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Completely meaningless stat. Only shows how bad the team underachieved.

0 super bowl victories in the last ten years
    1 super bowl appearance (2010)
    how many AFCCG’s since 2010? One?

thats embarrassing

if the stat was meant to make Tomlin and co look good it actually does the reverse.
    agreed.
    i compare it to your kid getting all A's in school then C's on the finals OR to make another poster happy, your kid getting all A's and a scholarship to a college only to get there and fail out or grades are so low they take the scholarship away