Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keith Butler: ‘The Difference Between 13-3 And 9-6-1 Were Those Dropped Interceptions

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Keith Butler: ‘The Difference Between 13-3 And 9-6-1 Were Those Dropped Interceptions

Re: Keith Butler: ‘The Difference Between 13-3 And 9-6-1 Were Those Dropped Interceptions

Breakdown And Impact Of Steelers Failed Fumble Recoveries From 2018 Season

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/br...m-2018-season/

If the steelers would have been close to half of it (fumble recoveries and interception) it could have made a big difference.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Keith Butler: ‘The Difference Between 13-3 And 9-6-1 Were Those Dropped Interceptions

I think that coaches cant catch the football, but they can develop coverages that don't have an ILB on the opponents best WR.....and that is what they should focus on how to impact the game instead of making excuses for guys dropping the football.

Same can be said for not having the most lopsided pass heavy offense in the NFL. Coaches need to own their mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I think that coaches cant catch the football, but they can develop coverages that don't have an ILB on the opponents best WR.....and that is what they should focus on how to impact the game instead of making excuses for guys dropping the football.

Same can be said for not having the most lopsided pass heavy offense in the NFL. Coaches need to own their mistakes.
    great point

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    True as of week 15 last season - maybe there were more drops in the Pats, Saints or Bengals games

Never good when a defense has more dropped interception than interception!

A team as the Pats,they had 9 dropped interception,but they had 18 interceptions.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

You know what else would've helped, a dozen or so lucky 50-yard bombs, or the opponents fumbling the snap a bunch of times, or a pigeon flying in the opposing QB's face and making him run the wrong direction.

Or maybe bitching about not getting all the lucky breaks as the reason why you consistently have trouble making the playoffs even when the competition in your division was horseshit, when other teams have no problem with this ... makes you sound like a dickhead who is just making excuses for himself.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Or like in that Charger game where Hayden would have had a red zone INT but, Sean Davis knocked him out!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Was Ike Taylor holding some type of "clinic" for DBs last year?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Difference was in 2017 big ben, ab, and bos bailed out the team nearly every week while the entire team as a whole let subpar and sometimes awful teams hang around with them for 60 minutes. This year that didn't happen

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Having LB’s covering WR’s has nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Difference was in 2017 big ben, ab, and bos bailed out the team nearly every week while the entire team as a whole let subpar and sometimes awful teams hang around with them for 60 minutes. This year that didn't happen
    Yeah .... And steelers need to have more often a blowout win , since they have not had many in the last few years....Dominations from start to finish, I have only two in my head (Titans in 2017 and Panthers in 2018,2 thursday night game)

The one-game score is often a coin toss game, so it's normal to lose it sometimes

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

the difference between my aunt being my aunt and not my uncle is...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Swaggin U graduates of the "Pass Droppin 101" program.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    always loved this pic:

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

The difference between 13-3 and 9-6-1 was pretty much anything you care to point at. We lost a lot of very close games.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    The difference between 13-3 and 9-6-1 was pretty much anything you care to point at. We lost a lot of very close games.
    And the steelers won a lot of closes games in 2017(8-2 in one score game in 2017 vs 6-5-1 in 2018)

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

And the steelers won a lot of closes games in 2017(8-2 in one score game in 2017 vs 6-5-1 in 2018)
    Boswell actually used to make kicks back in 2017, not so much in 2018.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    You know what else would've helped, a dozen or so lucky 50-yard bombs, or the opponents fumbling the snap a bunch of times, or a pigeon flying in the opposing QB's face and making him run the wrong direction.

Or maybe bitching about not getting all the lucky breaks as the reason why you consistently have trouble making the playoffs even when the competition in your division was horseshit, when other teams have no problem with this ... makes you sound like a dickhead who is just making excuses for himself.
    Feel better?

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Exactly. So you can point to everything that went right in 2017 but fell short in 2018 and say "that's the reason" and not be wrong. My point is that there's no one specific shortcoming that can be blamed solely, or can be fixed with the expectation of turning things around this season.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Exactly. So you can point to everything that went right in 2017 but fell short in 2018 and say "that's the reason" and not be wrong. My point is that there's no one specific shortcoming that can be blamed solely, or can be fixed with the expectation of turning things around this season.
    Yes, but if the steelers would have more blowout win, that would help.We can not relies too much on the coin-toss game.We need to be more dominant.

Very few blowout win for the steelers in the last two years .... Earlier in this thread I said that the steelers had only 2 since 2017, but it's at least 3, since I forgot the game against the Falcons ... maybe I forget about it but it's still not many.

Yes, but if the steelers would have more blowout win, that would help.
    It comes back to what I just said: I can't say you're wrong because *of course* you're not wrong... But if the Steelers had just a little more (insert random other improvement here) that would've helped too.
    There were simply too many things that were barely not good enough to point at just one of them as the main problem.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Yes, but if the steelers would have more blowout win, that would help.We can not relies too much on the coin-toss game.We need to be more dominant.

Very few blowout win for the steelers in the last two years .... Earlier in this thread I said that the steelers had only 2 since 2017, but it's at least 3, since I forgot the game against the Falcons ... maybe I forget about it but it's still not many.
    Very few blowout wins any year. Take a look back. Particularly years when we’re built on defense. We just don’t blowout other teams very often.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Feel better?
    Why do you ask? Did they fire Butler or something in the meantime?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I think we have a better chance of being 13-3 if Austin takes Butlers job.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Austin probably doesn't think it's okay to cover the other team's #1 WR with an ILB...

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Very few blowout wins any year. Take a look back. Particularly years when we’re built on defense. We just don’t blowout other teams very often.

This ∆∆∆. We're always playing with no margin for error because even when we are dominating another team we rarely put them away. This coaching staff needs to have a killer instinct in their approach. Belichick never hesitates to bury a team that they are ahead of.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Austin probably doesn't think it's okay to cover the other team's #1 WR with an ILB...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The 2017 team was worse than their 13-3 record would suggest. A lot of close calls against teams that missed the playoffs (7 wins by 5 points or less against teams that missed the playoffs) and they had a point differential of +98 (typically a 13-3 team will exceed 100 no problem). By comparison, the Ravens who missed the playoffs had a +92 point differential. Teams like that tend to regress more towards the mean the following year, because the breaks don't tend to go your way like that 2 years in a row.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I don't know, last year he was coordinator of the NFL's #32 defense (a team that was ranked 18th in total defense the year before he got there) and was fired after 9 games by a team that kept Marvin Lewis around for 16 years

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know, last year he was coordinator of the NFL's #32 defense (a team that was ranked 18th in total defense the year before he got there) and was fired after 9 games by a team that kept Marvin Lewis around for 16 years
    Yeah, I would take the fact that Cinci let him go as a vote of confidence. That place is a dumpster fire and that defense just got worse without Iloka at Safety, Pacman Jones at Corner and Burfict at LB. Other than Geno Atkins, I don't know if anybody else isn't worth replacing.

Austin is a great DB coach and I think the secondary is going to improve with him around. The problem still remains if Vince Williams ends up covering WR's in Keith Butlers system and if the D line doesn't play up to their talent level....then something is either wrong with the job Carl Dunbar is doing, or the culture Keith Butler has created on defense.