Thread: The battle at Right Tackle

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

The battle at Right Tackle

The incumbent is Matt Feiler. He's big, probably our strongest lineman and really good for the running game. A a pass blocker he's maybe shade below average and will give up more sacks than you'd like though none of them are the type that can get a QB hurt. Solid enough to start and win with without changing the playoff, he proved last year. Feiler can also play guard well.

The challenger is Chukwuma Okorafor He had his ups and down as a rookie, but showed he could at least play in the NFL. Not quite are strong as Feiler. A bit better with his movement skills. Most NFL players improve the most in their 2nd season.

One of these two will be the starting right tackle. I'd feel better of coach Munchak was here, he's not but DeCastro is.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: The battle at Right Tackle

4 players jockeying for Steelers’ starting right tackle job

CHRIS ADAMSKI | Monday, June 3, 2019
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW

https://triblive.com/sports/quartet-...sition-battle/

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    4 players jockeying for Steelers’ starting right tackle job

CHRIS ADAMSKI | Monday, June 3, 2019
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW

https://triblive.com/sports/quartet-...sition-battle/
    I would really like to see Hawkins stay healthy and show if he can take the RT spot. He was a LT at LSU and came out as a Junior, so lots of upside but his run blocking was very good, so almost looked like a RT that was athletic enough to play LT. Feiler I think is better suited to guard, but played well enough to show that he can play RT as well.

I think honestly if Hawkins or Chukks can take the starter role, that leaves Feiler to dress as the 6th O lineman on gameday as a backup G or T. I don't think Banner has the feet to win the job.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I would really like to see Hawkins stay healthy and show if he can take the RT spot. He was a LT at LSU and came out as a Junior, so lots of upside but his run blocking was very good, so almost looked like a RT that was athletic enough to play LT. Feiler I think is better suited to guard, but played well enough to show that he can play RT as well.

I think honestly if Hawkins or Chukks can take the starter role, that leaves Feiler to dress as the 6th O lineman on gameday as a backup G or T. I don't think Banner has the feet to win the job.
    Hawkins will be lucky to make this team. He never shown much in the few pre-season games he played in, plus he's always hurt. Full disclosure, I cannot even recall his jersey # without looking it up and for a Steeler junkie like me, that's rare as I can probabaly get all starter #'s right, plus most of the back ups.

It's Feiler or Okorafor. If Randy is calling a more conservative type of game, I think Feiler is the better choice. If we had a player like Wlallace or Bryant ( on years where they focused ) then maybe we would need better pass protection, which is where Okorafor might have the edge.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Hawkins will be lucky to make this team.

It's Feiler or Okorafor. If Randy is calling a more conservative type of game, I think Feiler is the better choice. If we had a player like Wlallace or Bryant ( on years where they focused ) then maybe we would need better pass protection, which is where Okorafor might have the edge.
    No such thing as luck in making an NFL football team. Hawkins looked good his 2nd year in the preseason and played in 5 games in 2017, with one start at RT as a 24 year old. If he is healed from the quad tear of last season, he is a better pass protector and in line run blocker than Feiler is at RT and is quicker to reach block an end/OLB in outside zone runs.

Hawkins went pro after his junior season and I think there was belief that he can play LT in the NFL, with his size and basketball athleticism. Two season ending injuries in 3 seasons hasn't given him a chance to develop that with physical reps. If healthy, he is in the competition for sure. If he isn't, then its up to how well Okorafor has improved his technique, as he is more suited to play OT than Feiler is.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Feiler Hoping Overall Footwork, Hand Usage Improvement Leads To Retainment Of Starting Spot

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on June 5, 2019

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/fe...starting-spot/

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I could see Feiler, Hawkins, and Chuks all 3 making this roster. Easily.

2019 Stock Watch – T Jerald Hawkins – Stock Up

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on June 6, 2019

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/20...kins-stock-up/

Chuks Okorafor losing in hopes of gaining a starting spot on the Steelers’ line in 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers second year offensive lineman has slimmed down in hopes of separating himself from his competition.

By Jeff.Hartman@BnGBlitz Jun 6, 2019

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...-2019-nfl-news

Ramon Foster On Matt Feiler’s Ascent: ‘It Reminds Me Of My Process’

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on June 10, 2019

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/ra...of-my-process/

Matt Feiler thinks Steelers RT job is “up for grabs”

Posted by Josh Alper on July 7, 2019

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-up-for-grabs/

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    No such thing as luck in making an NFL football team. Hawkins looked good his 2nd year in the preseason and played in 5 games in 2017, with one start at RT as a 24 year old. If he is healed from the quad tear of last season, he is a better pass protector and in line run blocker than Feiler is at RT and is quicker to reach block an end/OLB in outside zone runs.

Hawkins went pro after his junior season and I think there was belief that he can play LT in the NFL, with his size and basketball athleticism. Two season ending injuries in 3 seasons hasn't given him a chance to develop that with physical reps. If healthy, he is in the competition for sure. If he isn't, then its up to how well Okorafor has improved his technique, as he is more suited to play OT than Feiler is.
    Okorafor is a near lock to make this team. Hawkins is a long shot, who probably would need an injury. I watched Hawkins in the pre-season when healthy, he didn't impress vs. he run or pass.

I wish the Steelers could trade him for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Okorafor is a near lock to make this team. Hawkins is a long shot, who probably would need an injury. I watched Hawkins in the pre-season when healthy, he didn't impress vs. he run or pass.

I wish the Steelers could trade him for something.
    That is great. I didn't see Hawkins in the 2018 preseason, so cant comment on anything recent. I think he looked good in the 2017 preseason, which is likely why he earned some playing time in 2017.

2019 Training Camp Battles: Starting Right Tackle

By Matthew Marczi
    Posted on July 14, 2019

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/07/20...-right-tackle/