Thread: Chris Boswell: ‘Danny Smith’s Not The One Out There Kicking And Punting And Tackling’

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Chris Boswell: ‘Danny Smith’s Not The One Out There Kicking And Punting And Tackling’

Any regular reader of our humble offerings here at Steelers Depot knows that our own Alex Kozora has a deep, unexplainable love of the Pittsburgh Steelers’ special teams coach, Danny Smith. So when he read what kicker Chris Boswell said of his position coach, I’m sure you can imagine how he felt about that.

That’s right. Like he just got Chidi Iwuoma’s autograph.

But I’m sure you can tell where this is going already. We all know the background. After making the Pro Bowl in 2017 with a fantastic year, Boswell was so incomprehensibly terrible last season that he very nearly lost his job before the regular season was over. He had to win his job against competitors the team brought in during the week late in the season.

But he’s not going to be putting any of the blame on Smith. “I mean, Danny’s not the one out there kicking and punting and tackling”, he told Brian Batko of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette when he was asked about the position coach’s accountability in the failures of the special teams units last season.

“He can only do so much, and he does a hell of a job with what he does”, the fourth-year kicker said. “It just comes down to us playing on the field, so Danny taking a lot of heat is, personally, not OK with me. Because I should take all that heat”.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/ch...-and-tackling/

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Chris Boswell: ‘Danny Smith’s Not The One Out There Kicking And Punting And Tackling’

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Any regular reader of our humble offerings here at Steelers Depot knows that our own Alex Kozora has a deep, unexplainable love of the Pittsburgh Steelers’ special teams coach, Danny Smith. So when he read what kicker Chris Boswell said of his position coach, I’m sure you can imagine how he felt about that.

That’s right. Like he just got Chidi Iwuoma’s autograph.

But I’m sure you can tell where this is going already. We all know the background. After making the Pro Bowl in 2017 with a fantastic year, Boswell was so incomprehensibly terrible last season that he very nearly lost his job before the regular season was over. He had to win his job against competitors the team brought in during the week late in the season.

But he’s not going to be putting any of the blame on Smith. “I mean, Danny’s not the one out there kicking and punting and tackling”, he told Brian Batko of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette when he was asked about the position coach’s accountability in the failures of the special teams units last season.

“He can only do so much, and he does a hell of a job with what he does”, the fourth-year kicker said. “It just comes down to us playing on the field, so Danny taking a lot of heat is, personally, not OK with me. Because I should take all that heat”.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/ch...-and-tackling/
    Why even have coaches?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: Chris Boswell: ‘Danny Smith’s Not The One Out There Kicking And Punting And Tackling’

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Why even have coaches?
    Wrigley and Buuble Yum wouldn't have any customers.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

No he doesn’t kick, punt or tackle. He also doesn’t hold players accountable for their mishaps seeing that the same errors and mishaps occur on a regular basis and it’s not a fact that he puts players in the proper position to succeed. Danny Smith improves the coverage unit over a couple seasons but the guy is a disaster as a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Wow, that is a statement

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

The Steelers did not leave themselves with a good Plan B. They brought in a rookie free agent kicker from Central Florida. I looked at his stats, he was good last year, but not so much before that. Perhaps a 6th or 7th round draft pick should have went to a kicker?

I have not seen any of the key veterans back up Boswell, or have they? This is the problem. For example Foster, who's not key veteran had some nice things to say about James Washington. Boswell's issues are mental, he could use comforting words. They could help and they are free. Instead Boswell is backing up an unpopular special teams coach. Most Steelers fans want this special teams coach out.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

No one in their right mind is going to criticize their present boss/coach publicly

That being said, Bosewell is mostly right, it is basically on him and he did suck pretty bad last year.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Wow, that is a statement
    Right, they are tough on kickers and punters. Should have included Dupree on this also.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

There isn't much to learn on STs. Kick the ball and tackle the return man. That's basically it.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    There isn't much to learn on STs. Kick the ball and tackle the return man. That's basically it.
    Lol, if only it was that easy.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Danny Smith? Is that you?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Danny Smith? Is that you?
    I think it is Danny Smith since no mention was made of blocking when we return kicks...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I think it is Danny Smith since no mention was made of blocking when we return kicks...

Don't forget about committing lots and lots of penalties that make the offense always have to go the length of the field to score and consistently lose the field position battle that hurt the offensive and defensive units.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Don't forget about committing lots and lots of penalties that make the offense always have to go the length of the field to score and consistently lose the field position battle that hurt the offensive and defensive units.
    The offense had the worst starting field position of the NFL last year....It need to change!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

after the year boswell had, he just needs to shut the f up and worry about getting himself back on track