Thread: Scheming The Scheme: How Devin Bush Fits In The Steelers Defense

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Scheming The Scheme: How Devin Bush Fits In The Steelers Defense

New mini-series I’ll work on throughout the offseason. How some of the new pieces, free agents and rookies, fit into the Pittsburgh Steelers’ unit in 2019. Compare what they do well with what the scheme might demand. A little while ago, we looked at WR Donte Moncrief. Today, we’re checking out first round pick Devin Bush.

This is a bit similar to our film room piece we wrote the day after they drafted him but I wanted to compare it to the issues the Steelers’ linebackers had on tape last year. Shows the benefit of drafting him all the more.

read more

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/sc...elers-defense/

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Scheming The Scheme: How Devin Bush Fits In The Steelers Defense

This is a very good series of videos that shows why Bush has been such an important part of the Michigan defense and will be a big improvement to the Steelers defense.

All the posters that gnashed about him being a reach, not making enough TFL's when statistically compared to others or him being too short to play ILB, definately didnt watch much tape or see many Michigan games. The fact that he is such a student of the game and was a leader of that defense is just a couple more bonus qualities in addition to his play. Will be fun to watch him in B&G.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I love the instincts plus the fact that he doesn’t lead with his head like Shazier did.

DROY

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    This is a very good series of videos that shows why Bush has been such an important part of the Michigan defense and will be a big improvement to the Steelers defense.

All the posters that gnashed about him being a reach, not making enough TFL's when statistically compared to others or him being too short to play ILB, definately didnt watch much tape or see many Michigan games. The fact that he is such a student of the game and was a leader of that defense is just a couple more bonus qualities in addition to his play. Will be fun to watch him in B&G.
    I agree Bush will be fun to watch in B&G. I am one of those that did not see a lot of Mich football last season and only watched film as Bush became the obvious target in the draft. I did not see the 'splash plays' you expect of a top10 prospect. I think he fits the new scheme though. I think Bush is the promise of things to come. I hope he has the same impact as Watt in his rookie campaign.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I agree Bush will be fun to watch in B&G. I am one of those that did not see a lot of Mich football last season and only watched film as Bush became the obvious target in the draft. I did not see the 'splash plays' you expect of a top10 prospect. I think he fits the new scheme though. I think Bush is the promise of things to come. I hope he has the same impact as Watt in his rookie campaign.
    Thing is, that Michigan defensive scheme was so much of a pressure based defense and the secondary played a lot of press man, that I don't think your ILB makes a lot of "splash plays"....they just make tackles. Michigan didn't need to blitz to get pressure on the QB, so Bush wasn't gonna pile up sacks.

They pressured offenses like the Ravens defenses did with Ray Lewis and if you look at stats, Lewis had 31 INT in 17 seasons. I don't expect Bush to impact in INT's or fumbles...but he will help the Defense get off the field on 3rd down a lot more frequently than last year.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

In the 2002 NFL Draft, the Steelers thought that they’d land Ed Reed. Instead, he got snatched up a few picks before they could draft him. The next year, they traded up to make sure that they got their safety. That turned out pretty well for the Steelers.

Fast-toward to the 2018 NFL Draft, the Steelers thought that they’d land an ILB. Instead, they got snatched up a few picks before they could draft one of them. The next year, they traded up to make sure that they got their ILB...

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    In the 2002 NFL Draft, the Steelers thought that they’d land Ed Reed. Instead, he got snatched up a few picks before they could draft him. The next year, they traded up to make sure that they got their safety. That turned out pretty well for the Steelers.
    ...and that Steelers rookie safety played like crap his first season. I remember watching him play and he looked like he had all that hair in his eyes and Vaseline on his hands. I was really wondering if the trade up was worth it when Troy was a rookie, so it shows that we need to expect a guy to go thru some rookie mistakes and take a 2-4 year look at their development.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Can Devin Bush cover a WR?

If he can, then he's a good fit.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Can Devin Bush cover a WR?

If he can, then he's a good fit.
    Him defending Parris Campbell whom ran a 4.3 forty.

Bottom video.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

...and that Steelers rookie safety played like crap his first season. I remember watching him play and he looked like he had all that hair in his eyes and Vaseline on his hands. I was really wondering if the trade up was worth it when Troy was a rookie, so it shows that we need to expect a guy to go thru some rookie mistakes and take a 2-4 year look at their development.
    Yep.

One missed tackle, and people will be all over Bush. Fun times ahead.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Yep.

Or his speed, instincts, and decisive first steps are going to allow him to get near several tackles that he has no business making and everyone will drag him for being a poor tackler. Because that has never happened before.

Yep.

Of course. Anybody that thought he was a reach or didn't agree with the pick, or wanted somebody else will be all over him the first time a 320LB guard gets a hand on him in the run game. I never understand why fans just cant accept a guy and root for him when he dons the B&G. I was vocal against selecting Artie Burns, but the day he was drafted, I hoped that I was wrong and he turns out to be a competent starter, because he was a Steeler.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Or his speed, instincts, and decisive first steps are going to allow him to get near several tackles that he has no business making and everyone will drag him for being a poor tackler. Because that has never happened before.
    Just like when people would complained when Troy would leap across the LOS a second too soon, and we’d get a 5-yard offsides penalty.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Just like when people would complained when Troy would leap across the LOS a second too soon, and we’d get a 5-yard offsides penalty.

Of course. Anybody that thought he was a reach or didn't agree with the pick, or wanted somebody else will be all over him the first time a 320LB guard gets a hand on him in the run game. I never understand why fans just cant accept a guy and root for him when he dons the B&G. I was vocal against selecting Artie Burns, but the day he was drafted, I hoped that I was wrong and he turns out to be a competent starter, because he was a Steeler.
    TEEGRE: We held the Taperiots to 177 total yards and only 10 points.

SCROTUS: Yea, but Devin Bush missed a tackle in the third quarter that gave up a first down.

TEEGRE: Okay. But, a few plays later, he batted down a pass in the end-zone which forced a FG.

SCROTUS: He. Missed. A. Tackle.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Kind of dumb of Kaboly to suggest this. It's no pads and no contact, he probably would have blown his ass up if they had pads on.
    Last edited by 43Hitman; 05-30-2019 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Clarified thought

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Kind of dumb of Kaboly to suggest this. It's no pads and no contact, he probably would have blown his ass up if they had pads on.
    probably, but it does look like Devin Bust took the wrong angle...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Bush doesn’t look like he even tried...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Agree. Kaboly the Hut really likes a RB that beat a LB in shorts, half-speed, non-contact drills. Its sad that guys who follow football for a living can be so bad at it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    players are taught to track the back hip of the RB, as per heads up tackling and USA Football. Bush was tracking the back hip, but if it was full go in practice he would have lowered his pads and wrapped up, rather than stop running and go half speed past the RB.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    players are taught to track the back hip of the RB, as per heads up tackling and USA Football. Bush was tracking the back hip, but if it was full go in practice he would have lowered his pads and wrapped up, rather than stop running and go half speed past the RB.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

What happened in that video means absolutely nothing. That wasn't real football, that was a non-contact drill for crying out loud.

I understand that the media is looking for anything to talk about or get fans to talk about anything, but none of this tells us anything about a LB when he isn't allowed to touch anybody.

Kaboly is doing his job by ramping up interest in anything that gets people talking about something he linked to the internet. We all just have to try to know what we are watching and react accordingly.

There is nothing to see here until the pads go on and they are allowed to use them.

This reminds me of a story about another ILB who was seen as a bust.

Before the 1974 draft, a scout was extremely high on Jack Lambert. The Steelers (obviously) drafted him in R2 of that draft.

Fast-forward to training camp... during 1:1 drills, Lambert is going up against a late-round, rookie O-lineman. The O-lineman is eating Lambert’s lunch. Noll is none-too-pleased, and glares at the scout (who had been so adamant about drafting Lambert). Having seen enough, Noll asks a veteran (I believe it was Andy Russell) to “Show the rookie how it’s done!!!” Russell lines up against the O-lineman... and gets tossed aside like a ragdoll.

Noll is getting pissed at his defense’s (perceived) lack of effort. He tells Joe Greene to set an example. Mean Joe lines up across from the late-round, rookie O-lineman... and gets stalemated. Noll stops everyone, and asks the late-round, rookie O-lineman what his name was; to which the young man replies: “Mike Webster, sir.”

SUMMATION:
    Maybe Snell is good. Aaaand... maybe Bush is good, as well. Weird to think about, but it’s a possibility.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

This reminds me of a story about another ILB who was seen as a bust.

Before the 1974 draft, a scout was extremely high on Jack Lambert. The Steelers (obviously) drafted him in R2 of that draft.

Fast-forward to training camp... during 1:1 drills, Lambert is going up against a late-round, rookie O-lineman. The O-lineman is eating Lambert’s lunch. Noll is none-too-pleased, and glares at the scout (who had been so adamant about drafting Lambert). Having seen enough, Noll asks a veteran (I believe it was Andy Russell) to “Show the rookie how it’s done!!!” Russell lines up against the O-lineman... and gets tossed aside like a ragdoll.

Noll is getting pissed at his defense’s (perceived) lack of effort. He tells Joe Greene to set an example. Mean Joe lines up across from the late-round, rookie O-lineman... and gets stalemated. Noll stops everyone, and asks the late-round, rookie O-lineman what his name was; to which the young man replies: “Mike Webster, sir.”

SUMMATION:
    Maybe Snell is good. Aaaand... maybe Bush is good, as well. Weird to think about, but it’s a possibility.
    Mike Webster is the bunny from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Keep sending guys to kill him, he keeps biting their heads off.

“Look at the bones!”

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Mike Webster is the bunny from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Keep sending guys to kill him, he keeps biting their heads off.

“Look at the bones!”