Thread: Was Obama's deal with Iran worth it?

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Was Obama's deal with Iran worth it?

It was hardly a deal. Their supreme leader, who makes the law never signed it. How much did Iran get?

Republicans say150 billion ( the totality of the deal ), Democrats counter with about 50 billion in available liquid assets went to Iran, who didn't even allow inspections on demand The wait for one was 20 days.

Either way that's an insane amount to money wouldn't it be better spent here?

Trump could have had 10 walls, but he'd only need one. Infrastructure, or just about any other issue in 2020 could have used this money.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Was Obama's deal with Iran worth it?

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...-18-billion-c/

Not sure I totally understand it but seems like it wasn't cash out of US coffers. So wasn't like the government could've reappropriated the money for anything else regardless of amount. But I'm not really clear on any of it.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Politicians say to look at what's in THIS hand. The people argue over whether it's terrible or wonderful. Meanwhile nobody notices the dagger stabbing them in the back from THAT hand.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Divide and conquer. Been going on since there was more than 4 people on the planet. They are all despicable cowards.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Divide and conquer. Been going on since there was more than 4 people on the planet. They are all despicable cowards.
    Well, not all. But as a group, yes.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

It wasn't a real deal, Obama the appeaser just gave Iran whatever they wanted. And over 2 years of a real President made me forget just how weak the Appeaser in Chief was at Foreign Policy, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    It wasn't a real deal, Obama the appeaser just gave Iran whatever they wanted. And over 2 years of a real President made me forget just how weak the Appeaser in Chief was at Foreign Policy, thanks
    But that's what I don't understand. I'm honestly not trying to be partisan. What did Obama give Iran that wasn't already theirs? All that cash was in international banks and/or from arms deals from 3+ decades ago. It didn't come from our tax dollars. Seriously hoping to lean something.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

How Obama Secretly Gave Iran Access To Billions Of Dollars — And Enabled Terrorism

Iran: One of the linchpins of former President Obama's nuclear deal with Iran was that it would be accompanied by a near-ban on Iran having any access to the U.S. banking system. A new congressional report says that, too, was a lie.

Obama and his officials at the Treasury Department and State Department were clear: They would work assiduously to freeze out Iran from getting dollars to fund its mischief and mayhem around the world.

The Associated Press, puts it this way: "As the Treasury and State Department worked behind the scenes to help Iran access the dollar, the message to Congress remained the same: The JCPOA (Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action) did not allow Iran to access the U.S. financial system."

Obama sent a clear message to Congress: If you don't block this nuclear deal, we will bar Iran's access to our financial system. The deal was clear, unequivocal.

It was also a lie. Obama lied, and so did others in his administration.
    https://www.investors.com/politics/e...ran-terrorism/

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

But that's what I don't understand. I'm honestly not trying to be partisan. What did Obama give Iran that wasn't already theirs? All that cash was in international banks and/or from arms deals from 3+ decades ago. It didn't come from our tax dollars. Seriously hoping to lean something.
    From my perspective, what Iran got was legitimacy and the ability to further their nuclear program. Is that program for energy or weapons? That's the problem. If we could one-hundred percent guarantee energy alone, I'd be okay. But enriched uranium can be diverted to a weapons program. Moreover, allowing such a program to exist in a state that even in 2018, US govt. reports considered leaders in terrorism, opens the door wider to hellish dirty-bomb scenarios. But, even if we back down from apocalyptic scenarios, we get things that are still military unwise. Spent uranium rods make great slugs for their various tanks as well as fantastic armor plating. Mill it down far enough and put enough boom behind it, I'd hate to see a 7.62 AK47 or the smaller 5.45 AK74 firing a DU bullet, and I wouldn't put it past Iran to try it. My guess is it would largely render US body armor ineffective.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    From my perspective, what Iran got was legitimacy and the ability to further their nuclear program. Is that program for energy or weapons? That's the problem. If we could one-hundred percent guarantee energy alone, I'd be okay. But enriched uranium can be diverted to a weapons program. Moreover, allowing such a program to exist in a state that even in 2018, US govt. reports considered leaders in terrorism, opens the door wider to hellish dirty-bomb scenarios. But, even if we back down from apocalyptic scenarios, we get things that are still military unwise. Spent uranium rods make great slugs for their various tanks as well as fantastic armor plating. Mill it down far enough and put enough boom behind it, I'd hate to see a 7.62 AK47 or the smaller 5.45 AK74 firing a DU bullet, and I wouldn't put it past Iran to try it. My guess is it would largely render US body armor ineffective.
    That is all a possibility. But I still believe the cash was not the US Governments or the US Taxpayers. Like the moment they sent the funds, we (meaning the US) didn't have any less money.

FWIW, I don't think that sanctions or anything else can prevent a state or non-state actor from acquiring nuclear weapons. The technology is so well known at this point and all you need is a decent enough industrial base to produce whatever parts you can't buy on the open market. Bottom line, as long as you can build the reactors and get some fissionable material, the rest is not all that hard. I suspect there are a few former Soviet satellites that would help you out for hard currency.

I'm not sure the toothpaste can be put back in the tube. As to legitimacy, Iran already had a great deal of legitimacy outside the US. I don't know if really anything has changed. But I honestly can't keep track of what shady nonsense Iran is up to at any given point. It seems to hinge on what kind of mood their leaders wake up in on a given day.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

That is all a possibility. But I still believe the cash was not the US Governments or the US Taxpayers. Like the moment they sent the funds, we (meaning the US) didn't have any less money.

FWIW, I don't think that sanctions or anything else can prevent a state or non-state actor from acquiring nuclear weapons. The technology is so well known at this point and all you need is a decent enough industrial base to produce whatever parts you can't buy on the open market. Bottom line, as long as you can build the reactors and get some fissionable material, the rest is not all that hard. I suspect there are a few former Soviet satellites that would help you out for hard currency.

I'm not sure the toothpaste can be put back in the tube. As to legitimacy, Iran already had a great deal of legitimacy outside the US. I don't know if really anything has changed. But I honestly can't keep track of what shady nonsense Iran is up to at any given point. It seems to hinge on what kind of mood their leaders wake up in on a given day.
    And that in my opinion should have been enough to give the Obama Admin. pause.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I still believe the cash was not the US Governments or the US Taxpayers. Like the moment they sent the funds, we (meaning the US) didn't have any less money.
    I'm afraid this misses the point. We gave them something that they wanted in exchange for something that we wanted. Did we get it? No? Then it was (objectively) a bad deal. Moreover, a bad deal that supplied funds to accelerate their nuclear weapons program.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Whether it was a good deal or a bad deal was not the original discussion. I'm still trying to understand whose money it was. Without that piece, I'm well short of evaluating anything.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Whether it was a good deal or a bad deal was not the original discussion. I'm still trying to understand whose money it was. Without that piece, I'm well short of evaluating anything.
    /me looks at the thread title; scratches head....
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

The deal did nothing but increase the GDP of Iran. Thankfully Trump left it.
    Hater = Realist