Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL coach rankings: Best and worst of league's coaches in 2019(Tomlin is 8th)

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

NFL coach rankings: Best and worst of league's coaches in 2019(Tomlin is 8th)

We all know Bill Belichick is the class of NFL coaching. But where do the likes of Jason Garrett, Jon Gruden and Mike Tomlin rank among current head coaches?

#8 Mike Tomlin, Steelers
    Last year: 3

Record: 125-66-1, .654

Playoffs: 8-7, .533

This might seem low given Tomlin's track record, but every coach ranked ahead of him (and the first four behind him) made the playoffs last season. Tomlin dealt with Le'Veon Bell's holdout and Antonio Brown's Week 17 disappearing act, and Pittsburgh lost control of the AFC North as a result. Baltimore and Cleveland are not going to let up, either. Maybe Tomlin will re-gain his mojo and put the Steelers back in the playoffs. If not, then this ranking will seem too high going into 2020.

read more

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...1m7fennsalvb/8

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: NFL coach rankings: Best and worst of league's coaches in 2019(Tomlin is 8th)

Cue the ridiculous notions claiming Tomlin is somehow the 2nd best head coach in the league with people using only the shortcomings of head coaches not named Bellichick to make the argument

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Re: NFL coach rankings: Best and worst of league's coaches in 2019(Tomlin is 8th)

There are a few young coaches on the way up. I'd put Tomlin around 14th. Average.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

#8 is generous for Tomlin. I'd put him around #14-#21 Range. Looking at his overall body of work and his track record, he's subpar.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Cue the ridiculous notions claiming Tomlin is somehow the 2nd best head coach in the league with people using only the shortcomings of head coaches not named Bellichick to make the argument
    Tomlin is the 2nd best coach behind Bellichick. Which makes him the number one coach that doesn't cheat. Seems to me that if other coaches were better at their job the Pats would only have 3 Lombardis at most.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    #8 is generous for Tomlin. I'd put him around #14-#21 Range. Looking at his overall body of work and his track record, he's subpar.
    Again....count his victories. Where does that number rank currently? Or does winning games not matter?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    There are a few young coaches on the way up. I'd put Tomlin around 14th. Average.
    And you would be wrong. He's 2nd only behind Beticheat.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

do all those coaches you have ranked ahead of Tomlin have a Super Bowl victory?

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I attribute XLIII to the leadership of the Veteran core on the Steelers, who had already won a Super Bowl years prior to Tomlin's arrival. All Mike Tomlin had to do was not fuck it up. Tomlin's issues started to show itself the following year, where the Steelers collapsed after a 6-2 start, losing to some crappy teams in the downfall. Late season collapses have been a trend under Tomlin.

A.K.A: "Tomlin won with Bill Cowher's Players."

Once that core gone and retired, Tomlin has been nowhere near as successful and regressed in several aspects. A Defensive-head coach, but the Steelers D has been mediocre at best for years now. Infamously crashing and burning at home to Blake Bortles. Defensive development has been so awful that they are forced to sign journeymen like Joe Haden, Coty Sensabaugh, and Steven Nelson in order to not have the secondary not be a complete dumpster fire. The draft failures of Jarvis Jones, Bud Dupree, and Artie Burns' sharp regression to Antwan Blake-levels are major stains.

This is why I believe Mike Tomlin to be a subpar coach.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

I attribute XLIII to the leadership of the Veteran core on the Steelers, who had already won a Super Bowl years prior to Tomlin's arrival. All Mike Tomlin had to do was not fuck it up.
    you mean the team that went 8-8 Cowher's last year that Tomlin inherited?

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Not saying I agree or disagree with the notion, but "using only the shortcomings of head coaches not named Bellichick" would be an entirely sensible way to make the argument.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

you mean the team that went 8-8 Cowher's last year that Tomlin inherited?
    This core player had already had a 15-1 season and a super bowl the year after.

Tomlin was perhaps in the discussion as the second best coach in his career, but not right now ... He could be out of the top 10 with another disappointing season.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    This core player had already had a 15-1 season and a super bowl the year after.

Tomlin was perhaps in the discussion as the second best coach in his career, but not right now ... He could be out of the top 10 with another disappointing season.

So where does he get slotted if the team goes 12-4 this year and gets to the Super Bowl?

None of them had a stacked roster of Bill Cowher players who had just won the super bowl either.

Tomlin's best coaching happened with Cowher's players. As they slowly retired, our playoff celebrations became thin. Tomlin is just 3-6 in his last 9 playoff appearances...let that sink in for a while.
    Last edited by Six Rings; 05-26-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Another thread to ignite the Cowher vs Tomlin debate. Wake me up when it's September.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Another thread to ignite the Cowher vs Tomlin debate. Wake me up when it's September.
    Placing Cowher who was 5-1 with Ben in the playoffs, and also owns a playoff win over one Bill Bellichick is a complement to Tomlin.

Does anyone remember how Barry Switzer did with Jimmy Johnson players? Or George Seifert did with Bill Walsh's players. Same thing. No one calls either great coaches do they?

Cowher was 10-6 to 11-5 with guys like Tomzack, Stewart, Graham, and Miller at QB. Amazing as his margin of error with these jokers was thin. The loss of O'Donnell probably cost us another super bowl appearance. Not that Neil was great he just wasn't a turnover machine and could pass when needed. If Tomlin had to start those guys at QB, he's let go on his first contract.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

None of them had a stacked roster of Bill Cowher players who had just won the super bowl either.

Tomlin's best coaching happened with Cowher's players. As they slowly retired, our playoff celebrations became thin. Tomlin is just 3-6 in his last 9 super bowl appearances...let that sink in for a while.

I had no idea Tomlin is only 3-6 in his last 9 Super Bowl appearances.

Fire his ass right now!

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Not saying I agree or disagree with the notion, but "using only the shortcomings of head coaches not named Bellichick" would be an entirely sensible way to make the argument.
    Problem is you can't tear down other coaches to build up your own. Other than "he never had a losing season" (with a franchise QB) the only argumetns I ever hear in favor of Tomlin is to tear down the other head coaches (and Bill Cowher). That's not a convincing argument

Maybe in 2008 or 2010, you could call him no. 2, but as it stands now, 2019, what has he done since 2010, other than piss away easy games and woefully underperform in the postseason. What has he done in the last 2 years other than go 0-1 in the postseason and lose a home playoff game to an NFL draft bust while fielding a combined 18 pro bowlers in a conference that has been a total joke.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I had no idea Tomlin is only 3-6 in his last 9 Super Bowl appearances.

Fire his ass right now!

Ha ha, reread it. 3-6 in his last playoff appearances, then mix in an epic collapse last season not to make the playoffs. Are you okay with that as a fan? Perhaps our standards are different.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

This is just too funny. 2018 ranked him at 8. Let that sink in. How screwed up was the 2018 season? And he was still top 10. Factor in number 3 ranking the year before and Tomlin is in the top 5 of coaches conversation based on average ranking. Tomlin is and has been a great coach for the Steelers. I believe you will see him continue to be a great coach for the Steelers.

Ha ha, reread it. 3-6 in his last playoff appearances, then mix in an epic collapse last season not to make the playoffs. Are you okay with that as a fan? Perhaps our standards are different.

I believe that this year is a big year for Tomlin. He needs to get this team on track and show improvement.

If the team implodes this year, I would be ok with letting Tomlin go.

If the team has a very successful season, he will have proven that he is a good coach even to the doubters if they use their own parameters as a guide. If he isn't a good coach, he should have no chance at having a good season next year, right? The claims of "He doesn't have control of the team." "He only won with Cowher's players." "They don't develop players." "His teams don't get better." are all things that could get answered this season. If he does succeed, it will be directly against all the claims of his incompetence by the people that say he sucks.

Do you agree with my last statement?

I believe that this year is a big year for Tomlin. He needs to get this team on track and show improvement.

If the team implodes this year, I would be ok with letting Tomlin go.

If the team has a very successful season, he will have proven that he is a good coach even to the doubters if they use their own parameters as a guide. If he isn't a good coach, he should have no chance at having a good season next year, right? The claims of "He doesn't have control of the team." "He only won with Cowher's players." "They don't develop players." "His teams don't get better." are all things that could get answered this season. If he does succeed, it will be directly against all the claims of his incompetence by the people that say he sucks.

Do you agree with my last statement?
    Ben will have to retire and Tomlin will need to win back to back SBs with Rudolph in order for these Jokers to give Tomlin any credit. And even then it will be because of luck. The 'crapfest' that was last season and Tomlin gets ranked 8th out of 32 without making the playoffs? That speaks volumes about the respect the league has for our coach. These guys either simply don't get it or just like to argue.

So where does he get slotted if the team goes 12-4 this year and gets to the Super Bowl?
    He will go up course....It's going to be a big year for Tomlin like you said in post number 20.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Is that #8 in the AP Poll?... or, the Coaches’ Poll???

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

The stripper pole.....

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Anything short of Tomlin putting on a helmet and throwing himself the ball for a game winning touchdown in the last 2 minutes and he'd still be 32nd by some on this board. Even with a SB victory the conversation will be 'they won despite of Tomlin', 'there is still a Cowher player on the roster', 'we didn't win, the other team handed it to us', 'imagine the score if we had a new coach'. Also 4 losses in unacceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

I have always loved 'The Sporting News'. For BASEBALL. Used to anticipate that baseball preview edition with all the team write-ups and offseason moves and it would even go so in-depth to speculate on tripleA players to watch. Big newspaper sized, full color baseball preview edition of 'The Sporting News'. How many years has THAT been now?

On a more serious note though.....How many coaches with 10+ years at the same place have Tomlin's regular season .654 win %, playoff .533 win %, and are being called a BAD coach? I'm talking a "fire him" bad coach. The 'Fire Tomlin' conversation is just crazy talk. Never having had a losing season is ammunition for why he should be fired for some on here. It's not like he goes 8-8 every season and that makes him good enough, it's that in 11 seasons he has never finished below 8-8 that makes him worth keeping.

Now TSN puts out a ranking on NFL HCs and Tomlin lands at #8 after all the Bell stuff the season started with, The AB stuff the season ended with, missed the playoffs and is still a top 10 HC by TSN standards. Just WOW! You just gotta fire a coach like that. It's honestly baffling to me.

But to answer your question, it's the coaches poll and Tomlin voted 100 times for himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I have always loved 'The Sporting News'. For BASEBALL. Used to anticipate that baseball preview edition with all the team write-ups and offseason moves and it would even go so in-depth to speculate on tripleA players to watch. Big newspaper sized, full color baseball preview edition of 'The Sporting News'. How many years has THAT been now?

On a more serious note though.....How many coaches with 10+ years at the same place have Tomlin's regular season .654 win %, playoff .533 win %, and are being called a BAD coach? I'm talking a "fire him" bad coach. The 'Fire Tomlin' conversation is just crazy talk. Never having had a losing season is ammunition for why he should be fired for some on here. It's not like he goes 8-8 every season and that makes him good enough, it's that in 11 seasons he has never finished below 8-8 that makes him worth keeping.

Now TSN puts out a ranking on NFL HCs and Tomlin lands at #8 after all the Bell stuff the season started with, The AB stuff the season ended with, missed the playoffs and is still a top 10 HC by TSN standards. Just WOW! You just gotta fire a coach like that. It's honestly baffling to me.

But to answer your question, it's the coaches poll and Tomlin voted 100 times for himself.
    We need to look at the context, not just about the stats

Tomlin is not a bad coach, but he is also not a great coach for now .... The culture has to be better, same for the discipline ... the focus for the team has to be better too and Tomlin is a defensive coach and our defense has been far from special in the last few years, especially in the big moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    Anything short of Tomlin putting on a helmet and throwing himself the ball for a game winning touchdown in the last 2 minutes and he'd still be 32nd by some on this board. Even with a SB victory the conversation will be 'they won despite of Tomlin', 'there is still a Cowher player on the roster', 'we didn't win, the other team handed it to us', 'imagine the score if we had a new coach'. Also 4 losses in unacceptable.
    What about being close at least to win an AFC title game ..... Only one AFC title game in the last 8 years and the steelers have not been close in this game .... that's not acceptable especially with the talent that the steelers had!

I can live with a loss like in 2010 and 2015 but not for 2011 and 2017.

We need to look at the context, not just about the stats

Tomlin is not a bad coach, but he is also not a great coach for now .... The culture has to be better, same for the discipline ... the focus for the team has to be better too and Tomlin is a defensive coach and our defense has been far from special in the last few years, especially in the big moment.

- - - Updated - - -

What about being close at least to win an AFC title game ..... Only one AFC title game in the last 8 years and the steelers have not been close in this game .... that's not acceptable especially with the talent that the steelers had!

I can live with a loss like in 2010 and 2015 but not for 2011 and 2017.
    For the past 11 years Tomlin has been a HC, not a DC or OC or STC. He's been the HC of the Steelers for 11 seasons. THAT IS THE CONTEXT. In that time he has never had a losing season(8 seasons with double digit win totals, including 4 of the last 5 and 9 wins last season), been to 2 SBs, won the division 6 times and came in 2nd in the division 4 times. 15 playoff games record is 8-7. That is the context of his career as the Steelers HC. Is there room for improvement? Of course there is. But you don't fire a coach because he could do some things better or differently, with his track record.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    For the past 11 years Tomlin has been a HC, not a DC or OC or STC. He's been the HC of the Steelers for 11 seasons. THAT IS THE CONTEXT. In that time he has never had a losing season(8 seasons with double digit win totals, including 4 of the last 5 and 9 wins last season), been to 2 SBs, won the division 6 times and came in 2nd in the division 4 times. 15 playoff games record is 8-7. That is the context of his career as the Steelers HC. Is there room for improvement? Of course there is. But you don't fire a coach because he could do some things better or differently, with his track record.
    If Tomlin is not responsible for the defense or anything else, he's just a cheerleader like Bradshaw already said!

The Stats have never been a problem for the steelers .... The problem is that we have not been close to winning something big since 2011 despite all the talent.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If Tomlin is not responsible for the defense or anything else, he's just a cheerleader like Bradshaw already said!

The Stats have never been a problem for the steelers .... The problem is that we have not been close to winning something big since 2011 despite all the talent.
    There are 30 teams that say that every season. Again, this is a conversation with no agreed upon evaluation criteria. Take player development. What does it look like compared to other teams that annually draft in the 20's?