Thread: Moncrief questions

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Moncrief questions

How are his hands?

Exactly how fast is he?

What it is his best routes?

On one hand you got a guy who's 6'2" 220 pounds with speed who has been stuck with bad NFL QB's ( Outside of healthy luck ). He can have some long TD plays.

On the other hand you've got a guy who's underachieved a bit, and with a low catch %. The low catch % bothers me a tad.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...M/MoncDo00.htm

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Moncrief questions

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    How are his hands?

Exactly how fast is he?

What it is his best routes?

On one hand you got a guy who's 6'2" 220 pounds with speed who has been stuck with bad NFL QB's ( Outside of healthy luck ). He can have some long TD plays.

On the other hand you've got a guy who's underachieved a bit, and with a low catch %. The low catch % bothers me a tad.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...M/MoncDo00.htm

Its efficiency should be higher with Ben if they are on the same page .... Its% of catch is not the most important stats .... it's mostly the yards by target that is important to me ... ..If he has abovemof 8.0 yards per target it's going to be very good

His last two years, he was in an awful situation, especially last year with Bortles who completely lost confidence

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Catch percentages from 2018:

53.9% Moncrief. For his past three years its been under 54%

66.9% Ju-Ju - Very reliable. He get open, and catches it when thrown too.

42.1% Washington - Very poor. He lost weight and isn't a rookie anymore so some improvement is expected.

53.9 is not very good for Moncrief. It's unreliable, and that's what I'm concerned with. You could say Ben makes his receiver great, so his target per catch % should go up a bit. We'll see. My guess is Moncrief will start, but he could be more of a #3 than a #2.

Bill Belichick said the #1 thing he looks for in a receiver is separation ability and hands. While size and speed as Moncreif has is sought after, he's got to do better getting open and catching it.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Catch percentages from 2018:

53.9% Moncrief. For his past three years its been under 54%

66.9% Ju-Ju - Very reliable. He get open, and catches it when thrown too.

42.1% Washington - Very poor. He lost weight and isn't a rookie anymore so some improvement is expected.

53.9 is not very good for Moncrief. It's unreliable, and that's what I'm concerned with. You could say Ben makes his receiver great, so his target per catch % should go up a bit. We'll see. My guess is Moncrief will start, but he could be more of a #3 than a #2.

Bill Belichick said the #1 thing he looks for in a receiver is separation ability and hands. While size and speed as Moncreif has is sought after, he's got to do better getting open and catching it.
    At this point, Moncrief is not going to get any better at catching the ball then he is. He has been in the league long enough. He can put up solid #'s in the right situation, but he has a ceiling. He can go as far as his hands will take him -- and they have always been inconsistent.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    At this point, Moncrief is not going to get any better at catching the ball then he is. He has been in the league long enough. He can put up solid #'s in the right situation, but he has a ceiling. He can go as far as his hands will take him -- and they have always been inconsistent.

The quarterback throwing the ball has so much to do with a WR's stats. As an example, Allen Robinson has a career catch percentage of 53.8%. He is an excellent WR that has played with Blake Bortles in Jacksonville and now a young QB in Chicago. Nobody can deny that Robinson is a real talent, yet his catch percentage numbers are nearly identical to Moncrief.

Here are Robinson's career stats: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...R/RobiAl02.htm

I'm not saying that Moncrief is as good as Allen Robinson. I'm saying that he is a better WR than his numbers say he is based on who was throwing him the football. Even in Indy, he missed a significant amount of games to injury while Luck was healthy.

All I'm saying is that the QB really, really matters when looking at raw numbers. Understanding circumstances gives more proper context.

The efficiency of Vance McDonald's was far from good with the 49ers ... Last year in his first full season with Roethlisberger he was at 69%

If Moncrief is about 60% with some big play and his yards per target is over 8.0, I'll be happy.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I'm sure we will find out the answers to Moncrief questions as the season progresses. The thing that should be considered here is there is no longer an AB playing for the Steelers. And by that I mean a 'goto guy' when you need a 1st down or a last second TD. This year's WR group is going to be production by committee so 4 WRs putting up mediocre numbers CAN ACTUALLY be better than 1 WR putting up HoF numbers. If this group is able to produce only adequately we stand a chance of being very good offensively. One thing that is going to be a huge help this year is a healthy Conner, and adding Snell. Making defenses play in the box will help WRs get open windows. Ben can handle the rest. I think we dismiss McDonald in the big picture too often as well. I AM NOT saying this offense will not take a step back to an extent. No way you lose a player like AB and just keep getting better. I AM NOT saying Moncrief will make all the difference. I AM saying this will need to be more of a team effort which CAN lead to being a better offensive unit. And do not under-estimate the benefit of having Ben and his abilities to extend plays and make THAT throw when considering what a player like Moncrief can do here.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I'm sure we will find out the answers to Moncrief questions as the season progresses. The thing that should be considered here is there is no longer an AB playing for the Steelers. And by that I mean a 'goto guy' when you need a 1st down or a last second TD. This year's WR group is going to be production by committee so 4 WRs putting up mediocre numbers CAN ACTUALLY be better than 1 WR putting up HoF numbers. If this group is able to produce only adequately we stand a chance of being very good offensively. One thing that is going to be a huge help this year is a healthy Conner, and adding Snell. Making defenses play in the box will help WRs get open windows. Ben can handle the rest. I think we dismiss McDonald in the big picture too often as well. I AM NOT saying this offense will not take a step back to an extent. No way you lose a player like AB and just keep getting better. I AM NOT saying Moncrief will make all the difference. I AM saying this will need to be more of a team effort which CAN lead to being a better offensive unit. And do not under-estimate the benefit of having Ben and his abilities to extend plays and make THAT throw when considering what a player like Moncrief can do here.
    Great point...It's my thought too

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Moncrief has had a litany of worthless QB throwing him the ball his entire career minus a handful of games ( in the grand scheme of things ) with Luck ....
    speed... legit 4.4

he has that 5th gear to run away from people

Luck
    Brissett
    Hasselbeck
    Tolzien
    Bortles
    Kessler

to name a few of the Qbs ( or should I say supposed QBs he has had to work with ) not exactly awe inspiring ..

so I would expect his numbers ( all of them ) to go UP UP UP
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Moncrief has had a litany of worthless QB throwing him the ball his entire career minus a handful of games ( in the grand scheme of things ) with Luck ....
    speed... legit 4.4

he has that 5th gear to run away from people

Luck
    Brissett
    Hasselbeck
    Tolzien
    Bortles
    Kessler

to name a few of the Qbs ( or should I say supposed QBs he has had to work with ) not exactly awe inspiring ..

so I would expect his numbers ( all of them ) to go UP UP UP
    Best season was his second one with Luck and Hasselbeck throwing him the ball. AB wasn’t so hot with Vick and Jones throwing him the rock...just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler