An attempt at classifying the 2018 season of Ben Roethlisberger.

On a recent installment of the Steelers Preview podcast, I made a comment regarding 2019 being a bounce back season for one Benjamin Todd Roethlisberger. My ideas were opposed, albeit not in an insulting or a confrontational manner, by my co-hosts on the podcast.

The exact reason that they were called into question were his stats. The 15-year vet, and all-but-certain Hall of Famer, had a statistically fine year that included 34 touchdowns and 5,127 yards through the air. Those were both bests of a brilliant career. Plus, Ben is one of a mere seven passers to eclipse 5K (done 11 times in history though). His completion percentage of 67.0 was third best for him. So, I can definitely see the counterpoint levied against me. But when you factor in a league-high of 16 interceptions, my point has validity. Sure, Patrick Mahomes and Andrew Luck had one less at 15, but the futility of being the top name on a bad stat is daunting and disconcerting.

I also contend that a disappointing nine wins, and the missing of the playoffs is also a reason to sound the alarm and Ben was at the helm for that.

Again, it could be said that Chris Boswell’s myriad of misses and costly fumbles by Stevan Ridley (New Orleans), James Conner (Cleveland and Denver), JuJu Smith-Schuster (New Orleans) and Xavier Grimble (Denver) affected many a win, and transformed them into losses. But 2017 was a 13-3 campaign which hinged on mishaps that went the Steelers’ way.

So...it’s hard to tell.

As the general population of Steeler Nation, we may just have to rely on our own personal “eye tests” or Ben bias. The one thing that I recognize is the end result was less than optimal for all concerned and involved. While I contend Ben could have been better, I would not say his window is closed. The gigantic contract has raised some concerns about the amount of money paid to a quarterback in his career’s twilight, but would you rather see Joshua Dobbs and his rookie minimum run the show?

Despite the season we’d all like to forget for various reasons, I have a surge of optimism running through my black-and-good veins for various reasons. No. 7 has a history of rallying when his ability has been questioned. After the Week 5 debacle against Jacksonville in 2017, where he threw five balls (including two pick-sixes) into the greedy, waiting mitts of Jaguar players, “the old cowboy” lamented that maybe he doesn’t have it anymore. He then reeled off eight-straight wins for that 13-3 mark.

A very telling stat surrounds Ben and the artist currently self promoting himself as “Mr. Big Chest”, our estranged friend Antonio Brown. Ten of Ben’s 16 interceptions were passes intended for No. 84. That equates to a percentage of 62.5%....

read more

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...-antonio-brown