Thread: Steelers rivalries

member since day 1 Array title="7SteelGal43 is a name known to all"> 7SteelGal43's Avatar

Steelers rivalries

We all know our rivals, the Ravens, the Browns. But who else do y'all see as rivals ? In my mind, the Titans have become a pretty big rival now. 'Course, it could just be that I live in Memphis.
    Stay classy, leftnutz

Fourth String Quarterback Array title="xX-TSK-Xx "> xX-TSK-Xx's Avatar

Yeah the Titans are a good rival. Especially after the stunt they pulled in '08. Other than that when I think of the best rivalries, I think of teams that are similar to ours. Jacksonville for example was probably our biggest non-conference rival in the mid and late 2000's. I like the hard nosed, drag 'em out, punch fests. Thats why I think Ravens-Steelers is the best rivalry in football today. No love loss.

SteelerSal
    Yeah..the Jags were the first to come to mind, outside our division. Absolute thorn in our backsides, the last half dozen times or more when we had to play them.

SteelerSal
    Oh I'd like to add...I really miss the old Oilers rivalries back in the day before they moved cities and changed names.

Black & Gold Metal Array title="SteelGhost is on a distinguished road"> SteelGhost's Avatar

Titans, Jags, Pats*, Cryboys

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

I think the Pats are a good rival against us. The games are always passionate and physical!
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

clowns hater Array title="Prok is an unknown quantity at this point"> Prok's Avatar

Even though the clowns have sucked in recent years I still put them as most hated rival.

The patty's have become a rival due them knowing every freaking play we were going to run in those AFCCG's. Still boils my blood how uncannily they caught us off-guard on defense too !!
    Even the best of men can be self-absorbed and self-righteous.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

aside from the obvious 5 i would put oakland in there . i know its hasent meant much lately although they have beaten us the last couple of times we played them

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

clowns hater Array title="Prok is an unknown quantity at this point"> Prok's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    aside from the obvious 5 i would put oakland in there . i know its hasent meant much lately although they have beaten us the last couple of times we played them
    Oakland has been our kryptonite lately. We had NO business losing to them in recent seasons.

Let's ride! Array title="BuddhaBus is just really nice">

Quote Originally Posted by Prok View Post
    Oakland has been our kryptonite lately. We had NO business losing to them in recent seasons.
    UGH! Don't remind me.

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

Outside of our division:

Patriots - still bad blood between the two teams
    Cowboys - the 70's battles fuel this. I don't think this will ever pass.
    Titans - former divisional foe. Too many heated games in the past to let this pass
    Jags - Same as Titans

Other teams and why they are interesting:

Cardinals - as long as Whiz is there, it will be something special when we play them
    Jets - the New Jersey Ravens now have one of our players. This will be an interesting game.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Even though they play them very rarely, The Cryboys are ALWAYS a rival. A difference in philosophy, players, owners, coaches, cities. That game in 2008 brought back memories of the 70's and also the game in 2004 when Ben brought the Steelers back to win in Dallas. The way Deshea took the game (in 2008) and stuffed it in Romo's mouth was a bitter pill for the Cryboys fans. I am being biased but I have so many friends who like that dumb team, it's sickening.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Even though they play them very rarely, The Cryboys are ALWAYS a rival. A difference in philosophy, players, owners, coaches, cities. That game in 2008 brought back memories of the 70's and also the game in 2004 when Ben brought the Steelers back to win in Dallas. The way Deshea took the game (in 2008) and stuffed it in Romo's mouth was a bitter pill for the Cryboys fans. I am being biased but I have so many friends who like that dumb team, it's sickening.
    I got a brother, sister and bro-in-law who are cowboys fans.
    More agony: I grew up in Greene county PA. I have 9 bro's and sisters. Our parents moved us to cleveland when i was 12 or 13. Half of them turned into clowns fans.

Rough childhood. LOL

Member Array title="TroysBarber is an unknown quantity at this point"> TroysBarber's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    Back in the 70's the raiders were a bigger rival than our division opponents. Seems like we met every year in the playoffs, and those 2 teams hated each other more than the Steelers and Ravens hate each other now.

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

To me, everyone's a rival right now

Especially that team from atlanta....
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Oakland was once a good rival and the Oilers/Titans rival isn't as big as it used to be IMO. The Patriots-Steelers rival isn't as big anymore, I could see the Chargers becoming another good future rival.

Senior Member Array title="RushHard34 is an unknown quantity at this point">

I know the Browns have been a late rival, but they really havnt been a rival as of late because of our total domination.

But i've enjoyed games vs the Titans, and *Pats as of late.