Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 51 of 51

Thread: Big Ben is better than...

  1. #31
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,601

    Re: Big Ben is better than...

    Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Aikman was a very good QB, but hardly great. See his stats, you'll see.

    Bradshaw was a great big game QB, but overall too inconsistent.

    Fouts was a pure passer type but he team didn't go anywhere. You could say the same for Moon.

    I'd say Ben is better than those four. If he can throw another 50 TD's and win a championship vs anyone on the list.

    - - - Updated - - -

    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...yds_career.htm

    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...cks_career.htm

    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...ing_career.htm


    ^^^ Any questions?
    Yes, I agree. If you say to me there is a big game, who do you want to play? Aikman, Ben, Fouts, Bradshaw? I pick Bradshaw over the other 3 and Ben over the remaining 2. Kind of tough to call Bradshaw inconsistent relative to Ben, when we can look at the fact that Ben has never won in Oakland in his career and those teams have been crap, among other big game INT debacles like Jacksonville.

    Different eras to compare, but I still take Bradshaw over Ben.

  2. #32
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    18,894

    Re: Big Ben is better than...

    I saw a very surprising stats that Bradshaw was only 40-39 in his career on the road..Ben is 65-42-1 ... Bradshaw was on the other hand incredible at home .... 67-12 vs 79- 27 for Ben!

    https://www.footballdb.com/stats/qb-...ltime=1&sort=w

    We can compare Ben and Bradshaw for a long time, but it's very hard because of the different eras.

  3. #33
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,601

    Re: Big Ben is better than...

    Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I saw a very surprising stats that Bradshaw was only 40-39 in his career on the road..Ben is 65-42-1 ... Bradshaw was on the other hand incredible at home .... 67-12 vs 79- 27 for Ben!

    https://www.footballdb.com/stats/qb-...ltime=1&sort=w

    We can compare Ben and Bradshaw for a long time, but it's very hard because of the different eras.
    I believe that there might have been 52 other guys on the teams that were involved in those records....so IMO its difficult to just look at a W-L stat to compare 2 individuals in games that close to 100 guys participated in.

  4. #34
    The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Iowegia
    Posts
    5,224

    Re: Big Ben is better than...

    Who's the best on that list for our needs, tho'? AFCN ball in all types of weather? Can take punishment and still perform? Can keep a play alive after it's fallen apart? Dan Fouts and Brett Favre for sure. Bradshaw took a lot of abuse, but didn't dust himself off afterwards. Moon... Relied on his legs too much and not impressive in bad weather.
    The rest of 'em... They were fine (even great) QBs in their situation, but I don't imagine them having the same success in Pittsburgh.

    I'd place Big Ben in the top 3 on this list.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

  5. #35
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    9,200

    Re: Big Ben is better than...

    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Moon was very underrated, especially since several years were wasted in the CFL because he was black.
    Agreed. This thread is severely underrating Moon because of the Oilers offense and lack of signature big games. But as a passer, the guy was simply outstanding. If his whole career was in the NFL he likely would've held most passing records when he retired.

  6. #36
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,601

    Re: Big Ben is better than...

    Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Who's the best on that list for our needs, tho'? AFCN ball in all types of weather? Can take punishment and still perform? Can keep a play alive after it's fallen apart? Dan Fouts and Brett Favre for sure. Bradshaw took a lot of abuse, but didn't dust himself off afterwards. Moon... Relied on his legs too much and not impressive in bad weather.
    The rest of 'em... They were fine (even great) QBs in their situation, but I don't imagine them having the same success in Pittsburgh.

    I'd place Big Ben in the top 3 on this list.
    Are you sure you are not confusing Warren Moon with Randall Cunningham?

    Moon had 1,736 rushing yards in 17 NFL seasons. The most he ever had was 268 in a single season. I would not say that Moon relied on his legs too much. I actually think Moon is a better pure passer than Ben, but Ben made more big plays by improvising and keeping plays alive.

  7. #37
    The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Iowegia
    Posts
    5,224

    Re: Big Ben is better than...

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Are you sure you are not confusing Warren Moon with Randall Cunningham?
    It's been a long time and I'm getting up there in age, but I'm pretty sure I'm talking about Warren Moon. He wasn't a big "dual threat" QB, but he always ran for 3-5 whenever plays broke down. That's how we usually beat him; hit him a few times and hobble him so he couldn't run, and force him to beat us with his arm.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

  8. #38
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    5,862

    Re: Big Ben is better than...

    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Which ones of these great Quarterbacks would you rate Big Ben's career as better?

    A. Aikman
    B. Bradshaw
    C. Fouts
    D. Moon
    E. Staubach
    F. Elway
    G Young
    H. Marino
    I. Favre
    All of the above except Aikman and Bradshaw. I think Elway is a good parallel as is Young. Ben has definitely had a better career than the others listed. What Marino could have been as a steeler...


    Please understand I have much respect for all the names on this list.

  9. #39
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    18,894

    Re: Big Ben is better than...

    Who are your top 5 QB of all-time in the super bowl era?

    For me, my top 3 is (no order) Peyton, Montana and Brady and after, I'm less sure ... I'll put Marino 4th and after I have no idea.Maybe it would have been Brett Favre if his 2000s would have been better His peak in the 1990s was unbelievable, but the loss of Mike Holmgren hurt Favre, since Mike Sherman was far to be a good coach(and GM) early in the 2000s...Maybe Bradshaw,Staubach,Young or Elway?

  10. #40
    Senior Member Array title="Six Rings will become famous soon enough">

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Gender
    Posts
    272

    Re: Big Ben is better than...

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yes, I agree. If you say to me there is a big game, who do you want to play? Aikman, Ben, Fouts, Bradshaw? I pick Bradshaw over the other 3 and Ben over the remaining 2. Kind of tough to call Bradshaw inconsistent relative to Ben, when we can look at the fact that Ben has never won in Oakland in his career and those teams have been crap, among other big game INT debacles like Jacksonville.

    Different eras to compare, but I still take Bradshaw over Ben.
    Ben is a better QB. Even Terry knows that. Bradshaw made too many mistakes. His defense bailed him out on many of those days. Different eras.

  11. #41
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,601

    Re: Big Ben is better than...

    Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Ben is a better QB. Even Terry knows that. Bradshaw made too many mistakes. His defense bailed him out on many of those days. Different eras.
    Yes, different eras indeed. In fact, the Bradshaw era was so run oriented that Bradshaw was the first QB to throw for 300 yards in a Super Bowl and had the first 2 Super Bowl games with 300+ yards of passing. He also completed 56.3% of passes in the Super Bowls of 20+ yards, showing that he was the ultimate deep ball passer in Super Bowl history. The average of the other QB's that played is completing 27.4%. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/14692898/best-qb-super-bowl-history-nfl

    Below are the statistical average comparisons for Terry and Ben in their respective Super Bowls and part of the reason I rank Bradshaw over Ben:

    Bradshaw 58.3% completion rate......233.0 YPG.....9TD..4INT.....2 Super Bowl MVP
    Roethilisberger 60.4% completion rate......214.0 YPG....3TD..5INT......0 MVP

  12. #42
    Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Big Ben is better than...

    Warren Moon threw the most beautiful passes. Ever.

    Dan Marino is the best QB to ever play. Rings be damned. The dude was putting up passing numbers that are just now being broken (only after insane rule changes). In today’s NFL, he’d routinely have 8,000 yards and 40 TDs.

    Ben does stuff (escapes tackles) like no other QB I’ve ever seen. I watch closely every snap single of his, because I never know when I’ll see a “HOLY CRAP!!!” moment.

  13. #43
    Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Gender
    Posts
    1,847

    Re: Big Ben is better than...

    Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Warren Moon threw the most beautiful passes. Ever.

    Dan Marino is the best QB to ever play. Rings be damned. The dude was putting up passing numbers that are just now being broken (only after insane rule changes). In today’s NFL, he’d routinely have 8,000 yards and 40 TDs.

    Ben does stuff (escapes tackles) like no other QB I’ve ever seen. I watch closely every snap single of his, because I never know when I’ll see a “HOLY CRAP!!!” moment.
    I’m still looking for the one where Ben had two defenders hanging on him, and threw a great spiral 40+ yards down field to Ward......oh....that happened a lot.

  14. #44
    Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Gender
    Posts
    4,097

    Re: Big Ben is better than...

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yes, different eras indeed. In fact, the Bradshaw era was so run oriented that Bradshaw was the first QB to throw for 300 yards in a Super Bowl and had the first 2 Super Bowl games with 300+ yards of passing. He also completed 56.3% of passes in the Super Bowls of 20+ yards, showing that he was the ultimate deep ball passer in Super Bowl history. The average of the other QB's that played is completing 27.4%. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/14692898/best-qb-super-bowl-history-nfl

    Below are the statistical average comparisons for Terry and Ben in their respective Super Bowls and part of the reason I rank Bradshaw over Ben:

    Bradshaw 58.3% completion rate......233.0 YPG.....9TD..4INT.....2 Super Bowl MVP
    Roethilisberger 60.4% completion rate......214.0 YPG....3TD..5INT......0 MVP
    Stick Marino in between and it would've been unrivaled!

  15. #45
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    18,894

    Re: Big Ben is better than...

    Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Warren Moon threw the most beautiful passes. Ever.

    Dan Marino is the best QB to ever play. Rings be damned. The dude was putting up passing numbers that are just now being broken (only after insane rule changes). In today’s NFL, he’d routinely have 8,000 yards and 40 TDs.

    Ben does stuff (escapes tackles) like no other QB I’ve ever seen. I watch closely every snap single of his, because I never know when I’ll see a “HOLY CRAP!!!” moment.
    Dan Marino's 1984 season was the best ever season for a QB in the super bowl era and it's not even close.

    It took 20 years for a player to break the record for the TD pass in a season and 27 years before a player broke his record for the yards .... Before that nobody was close to beating his two record(expect for Drew Brees in 2008 for the yards) .... Before the 2004 season, only one other player had had at least 40 TDs in one season (it was Kurt Warner in 1999 with 41) and no other player had 5000 yards.

  16. #46
    Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Aloha State
    Gender
    Posts
    5,923

    Re: Big Ben is better than...

    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Stick Marino in between and it would've been unrivaled!
    sorry, the Steelers don't draft potheads.

    oh wait...


  17. #47
    chezman53
    Guest

    Re: Big Ben is better than...

    He is also leads QBs in assaulting females in Bathrooms

  18. #48
    Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Gender
    Posts
    22,500

    Re: Big Ben is better than...

    Say goodnight, dickhead...

  19. #49

    Re: Big Ben is better than...

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yes, different eras indeed. In fact, the Bradshaw era was so run oriented that Bradshaw was the first QB to throw for 300 yards in a Super Bowl and had the first 2 Super Bowl games with 300+ yards of passing. He also completed 56.3% of passes in the Super Bowls of 20+ yards, showing that he was the ultimate deep ball passer in Super Bowl history. The average of the other QB's that played is completing 27.4%. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/14692898/best-qb-super-bowl-history-nfl

    Below are the statistical average comparisons for Terry and Ben in their respective Super Bowls and part of the reason I rank Bradshaw over Ben:

    Bradshaw 58.3% completion rate......233.0 YPG.....9TD..4INT.....2 Super Bowl MVP
    Roethilisberger 60.4% completion rate......214.0 YPG....3TD..5INT......0 MVP
    Give me Ben over Bradshaw any time in the season. Give me either in the playoffs, and give me Bradshaw over Ben every time in the SB.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yes, different eras indeed. In fact, the Bradshaw era was so run oriented that Bradshaw was the first QB to throw for 300 yards in a Super Bowl and had the first 2 Super Bowl games with 300+ yards of passing. He also completed 56.3% of passes in the Super Bowls of 20+ yards, showing that he was the ultimate deep ball passer in Super Bowl history. The average of the other QB's that played is completing 27.4%. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/14692898/best-qb-super-bowl-history-nfl

    Below are the statistical average comparisons for Terry and Ben in their respective Super Bowls and part of the reason I rank Bradshaw over Ben:

    Bradshaw 58.3% completion rate......233.0 YPG.....9TD..4INT.....2 Super Bowl MVP
    Roethilisberger 60.4% completion rate......214.0 YPG....3TD..5INT......0 MVP
    Give me Ben over Bradshaw any time in the season. Give me either in the playoffs, and give me Bradshaw over Ben every time in the SB.
    “Life is a series of decisions you make that add up to your reputation. Do the right thing.”
    —Dan Rooney (1932-2017)

  20. #50
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    18,894

    Re: Big Ben is better than...

    Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post

    Give me Ben over Bradshaw any time in the season. Give me either in the playoffs, and give me Bradshaw over Ben every time in the SB.
    Good point.

    I would love to see Ben in another SB to see how he would perform....

  21. #51
    Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Gender
    Posts
    4,097

    Re: Big Ben is better than...

    Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Good point.

    I would love to see Ben in another SB to see how he would perform....
    He was pretty good in the last one they won...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •