Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 78 of 78

Thread: What has happened to the Democratic party?

  1. #61
    Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    13,292

    Re: What has happened to the Democratic party?

    Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Be careful of getting what you wish for. Jimmy Carter, in the 1980 election cycle was rooting for Ronald Reagan to get the nomination because he thought Reagan was too conservative and it would make the elections easier for Carter.
    For what it's worth, I do think Bernie has the best chance in 2020 amongst the GOD AWFUL Democratic field. He has the most fervent base of supporters. Guys like Bloomberg (who doesn't even have any delegates) and Biden don't inspire anybody and will just piss off the Bernie supporters who will feel their man was cheated by the Democratic establishment again (which may be true and probably would be if Bloomberg somehow gets it). However, I am just not sure socialism is a winning platform and I don't see one Democratic candidate that is worth anything or one who will match Trump's ability to excite his base

  2. #62
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    11,034

    Re: What has happened to the Democratic party?

    So the choices are the old out of touch delusional rich guy or the old out of touch delusional rich guy? Cool. Can't wait to vote.

  3. #63
    ģ Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,946

    Re: What has happened to the Democratic party?

    What happened? They went far left.
    Hater = Realist

  4. #64

    Re: What has happened to the Democratic party?

    Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Different situation. The economy was trash, Carter was never known for his political acumen, and he grossly underestimated Reagan's oratory skills and stage presence. Plus that whole Iran hostage crisis thing...
    I'm not losing any sleep over the idea of "President Sanders". Aside from him being too far left and Trump having the incumbent advantage, there's a whole laundry list of problems with him:
    -His base is a tiny minority who make a lot of noise but don't vote.
    -He's an economic change candidate during a good economy.
    -He can't explain how he'd actually fulfill his promises.
    -He's old.
    -He has health problems.
    -His own supporters keep making him look weak onstage.
    -His own supporters keep making him look like a Marxist revolutionary offstage.
    -His spokesperson is Alexandria Occasio Cortez.
    -His spokesperson keeps going off script and saying loopy shit on his behalf.
    Funny thing... I heard a list twice as long four years ago about why Trump wouldn't be elected. I'm still hearing lists about why Trump won't be re-elected. All I'm saying is, be careful what one wishes for.

    Now, do I think Trump will win? Yes? Because he's a great president? Absolutely not. He'll win because incumbents win the second term if the preceding president wasn't from the same party. The only time that didn't happen was Carter, and that was a perfect storm that caused him to lose. The electorate was his right up until the last week or so. Also hard to forget that Anderson took about 6 percent of the votes.


  5. #65
    The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Iowegia
    Posts
    6,033

    Re: What has happened to the Democratic party?

    Looks like the only viable candidate who could've actually won dropped out yesterday. Now it's down to the wild- eyed socialist with a heart condition, the senile creepy uncle gaffe factory, the billionaire authoritarian that Democrats hate, and a few also- rans.
    Tomorrow is Super Tuesday, so I'll be over here like
    Fun fact: If Bill Clinton were to announce his candidacy today, he'd be the youngest candidate on the debate stage.
    Another fun fact: If Pete Buttigeig runs for President in 2060, he will still be *younger* than Bernie or Joe Biden are right now. 2060! Mind = blown...
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

  6. #66
    The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Iowegia
    Posts
    6,033

    Re: What has happened to the Democratic party?

    Craic,
    Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Funny thing... I heard a list twice as long four years ago about why Trump wouldn't be elected.
    Not from me, ya didn't. I'm the annoying dude who makes predictions that everyone hates, but they wind up being correct. If I'm wrong this time, it'll be the first.
    Difference between Trump and Bernie is that Trump was up against the least- electable Democrat since Carter, while Bernie (assuming he gets the nod) will be up against the strongest incumbent republican since Reagan. I mean... it's not completely impossible for a pomeranian to defeat a pit bull, but I'm not losing any sleep over the likelihood of it happening.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

  7. #67

    Re: What has happened to the Democratic party?

    Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Craic,

    Not from me, ya didn't. I'm the annoying dude who makes predictions that everyone hates, but they wind up being correct. If I'm wrong this time, it'll be the first.
    Difference between Trump and Bernie is that Trump was up against the least- electable Democrat since Carter, while Bernie (assuming he gets the nod) will be up against the strongest incumbent republican since Reagan. I mean... it's not completely impossible for a pomeranian to defeat a pit bull, but I'm not losing any sleep over the likelihood of it happening.
    Well, historically, Bush (the son) was more electable by one percent at this point in his career, and he had a higher rating coming into the election year as well, so I wouldn't go that far with Trump. Again, I'm not saying Trump will lose. I'm just saying be careful what you wish for. It may come true.


  8. #68
    Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    13,292

    Re: What has happened to the Democratic party?

    Well, the Democratic establishment is really pushing for Biden now. If he's the nominee, he's a sure fire loser. The Sanders people won't go for him and he would offer less than even Hillary did. Of course the Dems won't learn their lesson. It harkens back to 2012 when the republicans didn't learn their lesson from McCain 08 and pushed a McCain clone in Romney and turned what should have been a clear victory into a clear defeat in 2012

  9. #69
    Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    3,321

    Re: What has happened to the Democratic party?

    Until the dems realize that Trump winning the Oval was a message, not a fluke they will continue to dig their heels in and step on their dicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.



    PATRIOTS**

    BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled




    HTG §-

  10. #70

    Re: What has happened to the Democratic party?

    Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    Until the dems realize that Trump winning the Oval was a message, not a fluke they will continue to dig their heels in and step on their dicks.
    The problem with claiming it was a message is that under half votes that were cast chose him. That's not a very loud or powerful message since almost any GOP candidate would get almost as many votes every year. What should resonate is that Trump broke the Democratic stronghold in the rust belt and sucked the delegates away from Clinton. But, that had nothing to do with his bluster or anything like that and everything to do with his promise to reduce free trade and move back into a protective mode in certain areas.

    Claiming the last election was a message is like the Dems claiming a mandate when Obama won in 2012, although it was a narrower election than 2008 (for which he also claimed a mandate).


  11. #71
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    11,034

    Re: What has happened to the Democratic party?

    Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    The problem with claiming it was a message is that under half votes that were cast chose him. That's not a very loud or powerful message since almost any GOP candidate would get almost as many votes every year. What should resonate is that Trump broke the Democratic stronghold in the rust belt and sucked the delegates away from Clinton. But, that had nothing to do with his bluster or anything like that and everything to do with his promise to reduce free trade and move back into a protective mode in certain areas.

    Claiming the last election was a message is like the Dems claiming a mandate when Obama won in 2012, although it was a narrower election than 2008 (for which he also claimed a mandate).
    Very true. If the young voters go big for the Dems, they likely win. If they stay home and people over 55 vote for Trump, he wins.

    At least thatís all the models Iíve seen.

    All the leading candidates are flawed and problematic. Itís gonna go to the party that turns out the vote. Right now, thatís the incumbent.

    If the economy slides and the public stays upset over the response to corona, it could shift. I suspect that wonít occur.

  12. #72
    Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Connellsville, PA
    Gender
    Posts
    3,567

    Re: What has happened to the Democratic party?


  13. #73
    Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Gender
    Posts
    3,603

    Re: What has happened to the Democratic party?



    Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

    Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  14. #74
    One bad JuJu Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute"> 43Hitman's Avatar
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Va
    Gender
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: What has happened to the Democratic party?

    Joe Biden- He puts the Dem in dementia






  15. #75
    The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Iowegia
    Posts
    6,033

    Re: What has happened to the Democratic party?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Very true. If the young voters go big for the Dems, they likely win. If they stay home and people over 55 vote for Trump, he wins.

    At least that’s all the models I’ve seen.

    All the leading candidates are flawed and problematic. It’s gonna go to the party that turns out the vote. Right now, that’s the incumbent.

    If the economy slides and the public stays upset over the response to corona, it could shift. I suspect that won’t occur.
    The young voters didn't show up for Bernie on Super Tuesday. I don't picture them showing up for Joe Biden in November.
    Besides, every election is about the middle, not the fringes. Trump has solidified his base from last cycle and is digging even further into the supply of traditionally Dem voters.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

  16. #76
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    11,034

    Re: What has happened to the Democratic party?

    Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    The young voters didn't show up for Bernie on Super Tuesday. I don't picture them showing up for Joe Biden in November.
    Besides, every election is about the middle, not the fringes. Trump has solidified his base from last cycle and is digging even further into the supply of traditionally Dem voters.
    Thatís basically what I was saying. Obama rode record young voter turnout to the White House twice. It does happen, but none of these clowns looks able to replicate that.

  17. #77
    The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Iowegia
    Posts
    6,033

    Re: What has happened to the Democratic party?

    Mojo,
    My point is that with all the inroads Trump has made into the traditional Dem base, a high youth turnout wouldn't be enough. Obama did capitalize on the youth turnout, but he also had minorities, union voters, the rust belt, blue collar labor, and registered independents on his side. Trump has taken a big chunk of those and solidified his standing with them. The Dems are going to have trouble winning any races unless they get those voters back.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

  18. #78
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    11,034

    Re: What has happened to the Democratic party?

    Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Mojo,
    My point is that with all the inroads Trump has made into the traditional Dem base, a high youth turnout wouldn't be enough. Obama did capitalize on the youth turnout, but he also had minorities, union voters, the rust belt, blue collar labor, and registered independents on his side. Trump has taken a big chunk of those and solidified his standing with them. The Dems are going to have trouble winning any races unless they get those voters back.
    Shmaybe?

    Potential voters that approve of Trump is still polling as the minority. However that 35-45% represents the vast majority of people who actually show up and vote.

    Any challenger has to meld together a coalition of incredible unlikely political bedfellows AND turn them out in historically large numbers. The sheer number of votes are on the table for a challenger to gather up and ride into office. But, almost certainly, not one of the current flawed challengers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •