Page 22 of 69 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: What has happened to the Democratic party?

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Re: What has happened to the Democratic party?

I am the employer.
    You should go look on that super secret thing called Google and come back with facts showing how premiums went down for everybody.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    I am the employer.
    You should go look on that super secret thing called Google and come back with facts showing how premiums went down for everybody.
    All I can figure out is that some went up. Some went down.

What I’ve read tonight was all saying the biggest driver of both employer and employee healthcare expenses was wage stagnation. Rising costs by providers and flat or falling real dollar buying power by everyone else.

That leads me to figure that it’s complicated and not a single point solution/problem.

One thing that makes no sense to me is that you, as an employer, have to get coverage at rates for just your “buy in”. Why can’t multiple businesses in the same coverage area bundle together and collectively bargain with providers? But that goes down at least two wonky rabbit holes regarding unions and then the terrifying trigger phrase “single payer “.

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

4 years ago I spent 3 days in intensive care and two days on a general floor. Total cost to me: $0.00. Slide me some more of that Obama care.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    How about catastrophically expensive as in quadrupling my family's health insurance premiums, to the point where they would be completely unaffordable, ................................
    Poor baby.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    4 years ago I spent 3 days in intensive care and two days on a general floor. Total cost to me: $0.00. Slide me some more of that Obama care.

- - - Updated - - -

Poor baby.
    I would have a difficult time imagining any person whose opinion matters less.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I'd take Trump's administration over Obama's 100% of the time, and I would more than 100% of the time if that was possible. Obama was a complete f-ing disaster of a president, a man who couldn't run a lemonade stand let alone an entire country. Using the IRS to target political opponents, massive debt, fast and furious scandal that led to an officer being killed, Benghazi scandal, horrible deals with foreign countries, going as far as attacking Little Sisters of the Poor to try and force his mandates, terrible economies, and then blaming everyone but himself for his failures. Of course the media was chearleading for Obama and covered up his scandals while bashing Trump 24/7 and trying to manufacture scandals. And you want to convince me Obama's VP will somehow be better than Trump even in the midst of a cognitive deterioration that is clear to anyone who doesn't have TDS blinders on? And then there is talks of Susan F-ing Rice as his VP. The woman who tried to pin blame for Benghazi on some video. Yeah, I'll pass.

Can you cry for us some more?

Waa waa, my health insurance. Waa waa, the lockdown. Waa waa, Obama.

Get a fucking grip.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I'd take Trump's administration over Obama's 100% of the time, and I would more than 100% of the time if that was possible
    ^^This is what your dealing with.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Flat earth and lizard people and you would’ve hit for the cycle. Sad. Also, if you were half as clever as you think you are, would’ve worked fluoride and Vince Foster in as well.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Can you cry for us some more?

Waa waa, my health insurance. Waa waa, the lockdown. Waa waa, Obama.

Get a fucking grip.

- - - Updated - - -

^^This is what your dealing with.
    Waa waa, my mom won't let me borrow the car. Waa waa, I don't get to go to prom this year. Guess we've all got our own problems to deal with.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Try looking at a mirror.

Bingo! You found one.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

I'm not very religious, understatement, but I would suggest that both sides get down on their knees and pray Trump is not reelected. Trust me, no one wants to turn that page.
    Yes sir.
    I look at where this country now stands, internally and worldwide.
    Four more years of this self-absorbed wacko and we’re at a point we might not ever be able to recover from.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Yes sir.
    I look at where this country now stands, internally and worldwide.
    Four more years of this self-absorbed wacko and we’re at a point we might not ever be able to recover from.
    Can it happen here?

The Democracy Doomsayers Consider 2020

Comparative politics didn’t used to be a best-selling topic that got people booked on cable news. That was before Trump.

By Nicholas Casey
    Updated Nov. 18, 2019

ITHACA, N.Y. — Each prognosis was bleaker than the next.

One academic told of a future where the Senate refused to consider Supreme Court justices from the opposing party, leaving the bench size to fluctuate with partisan whims for years to come.

Another imagined violence breaking out between white supremacists and Antifa groups in the capital, if President Trump lost the popular vote for a second time but was returned to the presidency by the Electoral College. Armed militias might emerge in the suburbs, as they once did in Ireland.

Valerie Bunce, a scholar on post-Soviet politics at Cornell University, told her fellow social scientists, gathered in Ithaca to discuss the future of American democracy, that she saw something that smelled like the fall of Communism in the last century.

“We were looking at this in the 1980s — and if you said then the Soviet Union would break up, people didn’t believe you,” she told two colleagues, who responded with an uneasy laugh. “I’m just trying to give you an idea of the kind of things that can happen here.”

Four years ago, when the political establishment remained convinced that Donald J. Trump would not triumph, the researchers at the conference could see the reasons he would. And after Mr. Trump became president, they predicted that he might break democratic norms and spur an impeachment. That seemed extreme to some.

“Joe Scarborough once came on MSNBC with a copy of a piece we’d written and said that we were ‘laughable,’” said Steven Levitsky, a Harvard University professor who has spent the last several years arguing that American democracy is facing challenges similar to those that brought down Latin American democracies in coups during the last century.

The consensus among the scholars is that modern America has never produced a president like Mr. Trump, but that other countries have. Hugo Chávez in Venezuela pioneered using Twitter to attack his enemies and hosted a TV show called “Alo, Presidente.” Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Turkey’s current strongman, used the term “deep state” decades before Mr. Trump did.

The field of comparative politics — a discipline that contrasts the formation and fall of political systems around the globe — has long been an obscure realm of the ivory tower. But now it is selling books and has become fodder on cable news, and scholars say they’ve found themselves explaining American political upheaval to bemused diplomats of foreign embassies.

Though these scholars do paint a grim picture for the future of democracy, no one sees an American dictatorship in the offing. Many point to the 2018 midterm elections as signs that the Democrats — known in academic lingo as “the opposition” in these scenarios — remain a potent force. In this view, impeachment itself shows American checks and balances are still intact.

“Today democracies don’t die at the hands of generals, but at the hands of elected leaders — presidents, prime ministers,” began Mr. Levitsky in front of a packed lecture hall at Cornell last week. “Many citizens are not fully aware of what’s happening until it’s too late.”
    For democracy to work, in Mr. Levitsky’s view, it’s best to see the system as a kind of a game in which both sides’ ultimate goal is to keep playing for indefinite rounds. While everyone wishes to win, it’s more important that neither side is ever completely defeated or has demoralized its opponents to the point that they no longer want to play.

In Venezuela, Mr. Levitsky recalls, polarization between the leftist Mr. Chávez and the opposition boiled over into a coup and a general strike against him, both of which failed. Mr. Chávez responded by packing the courts, closing media outlets and jailing his opponents. The country’s democratic fabric has been in tatters ever since.

A key turning point for many democracies was the moment when political rivals began to see themselves as enemies rather than competitors, losing a key norm Mr. Levitsky calls “mutual toleration.” In his opinion, American politics lost that early in the Trump era when the president referred to his rivals as “traitors” and “scum.”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/16/u...edictions.html

You bet it can.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53534950

Very interesting. Wonder why no coverage from the media?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/...-pandemic-2020

Also 1.8 million job increase even in the face of renewed shutdowns is pretty impressive. Those jobs just keep coming back unlike what those TDS sufferers want

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53534950

Very interesting. Wonder why no coverage from the media?
    How'd you hear about than?

About 13,100,000 results (0.37 seconds)

Search Results

Web results

Trump Administration Announces Historic Action to Lower ...

www.hhs.gov › about › news › 2020/07/24 › trump-ad...

Jul 24, 2020 - The President signed three Executive Orders on drug pricing ... Trump took historic action to deliver lower prescription drug prices to American patients. ... American seniors will no longer foot the bill for the world's innovation ...

Trump Signs Executive Orders On Drug Prices : NPR

www.npr.org › 2020/07/24 › trump-signs-executive-orde...

Jul 24, 2020 - President Trump speaks on Friday during an event to sign executive ... The prescription drug bill that stalled after passing in the House in ...‎The Power Of Workers · ‎Rest of the Story, Pandemic ... · ‎Sydney Lupkin

Trump signs orders to lower prescription drug prices - Reuters

www.reuters.com › article › trump-signs-orders-to-lowe...

Jul 24, 2020 - U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday signed four executive orders aimed at lowering the prices Americans pay for prescription drugs, as he faces an ... House would propose a healthcare bill soon but offered few details.

WATCH: Trump signs executive order on prescription drug ...

www.pbs.org › newshour › politics › watch-trump-sign...

Jul 24, 2020 - Friday's event was definitely not the bill-signing the White House had once hoped for. Trump came into office complaining that pharmaceutical ...

President Donald J. Trump Is Taking Action to Lower Drug Costs

www.whitehouse.gov › News › Briefing Statements

Jul 24, 2020 - President Trump signed four Executive Orders to massively lower prescriptiondrug costs and increase Americans' access to life-saving ...

Remarks by President Trump at Signing of Executive Orders ...

www.whitehouse.gov › News › Briefing Statements

Jul 24, 2020 - Remarks by President Trump at Signing of Executive Orders on ... They represent the most far-reaching prescription drug reforms ever issued by a President. ... The same exact drug — same everything, same box, same pill ...

With no new law to curb drug costs, Trump tries own changes ...

www.nbcnews.com › politics › white-house › no-new-l...

Jul 24, 2020 - Friday's event was definitely not the bill-signing the White... ... Trump signsexecutive order reducing prescription drug prices. July 24, 202001: ...

Trump signs executive orders aimed at lowering drug prices ...

thehill.com › policy › healthcare › 508953-trump-signs...

Jul 24, 2020 - President Trump on Friday signed four executive orders aimed at ... through on his promise to lower prescription drug prices," said House Energy and ... saying a much narrower bill from House Republicans is a better idea.

Trump Signs Executive Orders Aimed at Reducing Drug Prices

www.wsj.com › Politics › Health Policy

Jul 24, 2020 - The moves revived a signature part of his health-policy agenda before the 2020 election after his earlier efforts to combat rising prescription costs ...

Trump's four executive orders to lower drug prices: What to know

www.foxbusiness.com › healthcare › trump-four-executiv...

Jul 24, 2020 - Trump signs executive orders to reduce drug costs ... is taking 'bold and historic' action to reduce the price of prescription drugs for Americans, ... BILL GATES: MULTIPLE CORONAVIRUS VACCINE DOSES MAY BE NEEDED.

Page Navigation

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

Didn’t get talked up because it’s a series of executive orders that have NO enforceable impact. Zero legal standing and are simply PR stunts. Which is what your own article said if you’d have read it.

If executive orders have zero legal standing, why the fuck are we now in the sixth month of nationwide house arrest for "15 days to slow the spread."
    See you Space Cowboy ...

If executive orders have zero legal standing, why the fuck are we now in the sixth month of nationwide house arrest for "15 days to slow the spread."
    Read the article from the original post. These particular orders are not able to compel pharma to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Read the article from the original post. These particular orders are not able to compel pharma to do anything.
    My question is a bit more important than what big pharma is doing.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Waa, waa.

Phone and a pen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Didn’t get talked up because it’s a series of executive orders that have NO enforceable impact. Zero legal standing and are simply PR stunts. Which is what your own article said if you’d have read it.
    Sort of like creating a DREAM ACT, but we all know how that turned out.

Vote Trump and crush the American dream.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T&B fan View Post
    you do under stand that absentee ballots and mail in voting are the same thing ?
    No they're not. Absentee ballots go through a very rigorous system to verify integrity and are handled by both parties.

New York had its primary elections on June 23rd, and two districts are still undecided because they haven't been able to properly count the mail-in ballots. But yeah, let's do it on the national level with 140 million ballots. What could possibly go wrong? And remember this was on a primary where turnout is usually 10-15%, now imagine the general election.

I don't care who, or how many people (legally) vote. But with an election this important to so many, trying to suddenly have 140+ million people use mail in balloting is just not very safe (or smart). I work IT and know when you have a new system you don't just turn it on without extensive testing. If NY can't even count it's primary votes how is the country expected to count every vote? Going all mail-in for such an important election without testing the system to do so would be a horrible idea.

Then you have the factor of cheating (from either side). Say you live in a certain area and that area is either prominently blue or red. Your postal worker knows who you support by the mail you receive from campaigns, what is stopping them from "losing" your ballot? It's just too risky to trust something being handed off without both parties present to verify the authenticity of the ballot or who is carrying it to the polling station.

But there are simple solutions:

There is no reason that voting day can't be stretched out to 3 days with people voting in time slots based on their last names. Or if that doesn't work have people drop off their ballot in person at their normal polling station? They would need to show proper ID and hand in their ballot in person to an election official (if you can hand your receipt at BJ's to be checked then showing ID at your polling station should be no problem). That way both parties can confirm and monitor who is voting as you turn it in. And please spare me the minorities and older people cannot get ID nonsense. In 2020 you need ID to buy beer, drive, apply for an EBT card, buy cigarettes, cash a check, buy legal weed, buy a gun, get into the Democratic Convention Center... Saying that requiring ID is suppressing the minority vote is flat out racist and wrong. India with over a billion people requires voter ID to vote.

Don't believe me watch this video:

It really is amazing how many Communists are Steelers fans.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Vote Trump and crush the American dream.
    Vote Biden and kiss America goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Vote Biden and kiss America goodbye.
    How's work going?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    It really is amazing how many Communists are Steelers fans.
    What’s really amazing is how many sheep follow Trump and his ridiculous propaganda. Supporting changing the election to benefit him...lol. That’s about as unAmerican as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Not bad, thanks for asking.

The"concrete cobbler" Array title="cold-hard-steel has a brilliant future"> cold-hard-steel's Avatar

Two bags are guarenteed to fit all sizes ,or your money back. If you are not completely satisfied call 1-800-GOO-DHELL We show 5 bags to choose from,most problems only need 2 bags .