Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1454626364
Results 1,891 to 1,895 of 1895

Thread: What has happened to the Democratic party?

Senior Member Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute"> tom444's Avatar

Re: What has happened to the Democratic party?

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    What is happening with bias vs. credibility is roughly this: CNN or the New York Times will report the facts - but because of their bias, they leave out half the facts. Fox News also reports the facts, but leaves out a different half of them. But you can't do that and still be reporting the news - lying by omission is just as bad. All of them have destroyed their credibility.
    So than, The New York Times and Fox News are basically the same except for the parts of the stories they decide to leave out?

Fox Settled a Lawsuit Over Its Lies. But It Insisted on One Unusual Condition.

Why did the network insist an agreement with the family of a murdered young man remain undisclosed until after the election?

Jan. 17, 2021
    Ryan Jenq for The New York Times

On Oct. 12, 2020, Fox News agreed to pay millions of dollars to the family of a murdered Democratic National Committee staff member, implicitly acknowledging what saner minds knew long ago: that the network had repeatedly hyped a false claim that the young staff member, Seth Rich, was involved in leaking D.N.C. emails during the 2016 presidential campaign. (Russian intelligence officers, in fact, had hacked and leaked the emails.)
    Fox’s decision to settle with the Rich family came just before its marquee hosts, Lou Dobbs and Sean Hannity, were set to be questioned under oath in the case, a potentially embarrassing moment. And Fox paid so much that the network didn’t have to apologize for the May 2017 story on FoxNews.com.

But there was one curious provision that Fox insisted on: The settlement had to be kept secret for a month — until after the Nov. 3 election. The exhausted plaintiffs agreed.

Why did Fox care about keeping the Rich settlement secret for the final month of the Trump re-election campaign? Why was it important to the company, which calls itself a news organization, that one of the biggest lies of the Trump era remain unresolved for that period? Was Fox afraid that admitting it was wrong would incite the president’s wrath? Did network executives fear backlash from their increasingly radicalized audience, which has been gravitating to other conservative outlets?

Fox News and its lawyer, Joe Terry, declined to answer that question when I asked last week. And two people close to the case, who shared details of the settlement with me, were puzzled by that provision, too.

The unusual arrangement underscores how deeply entwined Fox has become in the Trump camp’s disinformation efforts and the dangerous paranoia they set off, culminating in the fatal attack on the Capitol 11 days ago. The network parroted lies from Trump and his more sinister allies for years, ultimately amplifying the president’s enormous deceptions about the election’s outcome, further radicalizing many of Mr. Trump’s supporters.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/17/b...tiVgnMN-zxoMVk

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I personally like NPR, I like getting my news without the drama of getting shouted at, and since it's mostly podcasts I can get my news while working. Might be too boring for some people, but I like boring when it comes to the news. The fiscal times (they're slightly right-leaning) also is a good one if you're wanting to get informed on the fiscal side of what the government is doing without all the other noise (honestly i like to get news that has nothing to do with the social-related stuff since it's exhausting to get too much of that).

In any case I'm not a fan of Fox or CNN, their programming seems to be designed to get your blood pressure up
    My Avatar is worse than the Madden Curse. My Previous avatars: 1- Antonio Brown, 2- Juju / Conner, 3- Tom Brady, 4- Lamar Jackson. Their careers all went south when I added them as my avatar, so I'm trying to make something good out of the bad

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I personally like NPR, I like getting my news without the drama of getting shouted at, and since it's mostly podcasts I can get my news while working. Might be too boring for some people, but I like boring when it comes to the news. The fiscal times (they're slightly right-leaning) also is a good one if you're wanting to get informed on the fiscal side of what the government is doing without all the other noise (honestly i like to get news that has nothing to do with the social-related stuff since it's exhausting to get too much of that).

In any case I'm not a fan of Fox or CNN, their programming seems to be designed to get your blood pressure up
    Podcasts and some print media are the way to go in my opinion. All TV news is just nonsense (some more fact based than others) designed to cater to whatever lowest common denominator each network has selected in order to get ratings and attract advertisers. I cut out all televised news shows/channels several years ago. Result is that I am no less informed about the world around me and I am way less mentally exhausted.

Senior Member Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute"> tom444's Avatar

BONUS: Inside The Capitol Siege

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5ucHIub3JnLzUxMDM1NS9wb2RjYXN0Ln htbA/episode/OTJlOTUyODMtMzJlOC00ODhjLWJhMmQtYzZiMGNhYjg1ZGJk?h l=en

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    CNN with it's big red BREAKING NEWS and drumbeat, or whatever, in the back ground. Good lord.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    CNN with it's big red BREAKING NEWS and drumbeat, or whatever, in the back ground. Good lord.
    Yep, over the top visual stimuli and people yelling at the camera, it's too much
    My Avatar is worse than the Madden Curse. My Previous avatars: 1- Antonio Brown, 2- Juju / Conner, 3- Tom Brady, 4- Lamar Jackson. Their careers all went south when I added them as my avatar, so I'm trying to make something good out of the bad