Thread: Life after the Killer B’s: How will Ben and the offense perform?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Life after the Killer B’s: How will Ben and the offense perform?

Much has been made this offseason about the losses of Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell. How will the offense perform without them? Mainly, how will Ben Roethlisberger perform without them? Can he be the top quarterback we are used to seeing without his two stars?

We have a partial answer to this question, as Bell May have just officially left this offseason, but he didn’t take a single snap in the Black and Gold in 2018, though I digress. I decided to take a dive into Big Ben’s career pass distribution percentages to get a better understanding of how Brown impacted his performance, and how his performance affects his targets.

I went through every season since Ben’s rookie campaign, looked at the different receiving targets (Wide Receivers, Tight Ends, and Running Backs), and broke down the percentage of each positional group’s receptions for the team. I separated it by Wide Receiver 1, Wide Receiver 2, Wide Receiver 3, Tight Ends, and Running backs.

Putting running backs all together as opposed to individual allowed me to see in general how Ben’s growth has allowed him to use his check downs instead of forcing passes. And lumping tight ends together allowed for me to see the overall safety valve that Ben used the position for.

So, let’s get into it.

There is a belief that without Antonio Brown, JuJu Smith-Schuster simply cannot and will not perform the same as he did last season, and won’t put up comparable numbers. While realistically, 111 receptions and 1,426 yards will be difficult to replicate, it won’t be impossible.

read more

https://www.steelcityunderground.com...fense-perform/

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Life after the Killer B’s: How will Ben and the offense perform?

All they need is a top TE.

I do not understand the hate on McDonald .... Not a star, but he is very solid ... 610 yards in 72 targets(8.5 yards per target,better that Antonio Brown last year!), which is very good for a TE ... McDonald missed only one game (the first game of the year), so the injury prone to him is also unfair ... It was a problem in 2017, but last year was a thing of the past.

But yes, steelers need a backup at this position.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

No one hates McDonald, I like him but to say he isn't injury prone is funny since he hasn't played one full season since coming into the NFL without missing a game or games or seasons. Besides that he has catching issues.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/pl...-mcdonald/6717

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    No one hates McDonald, I like him but to say he isn't injury prone is funny since he hasn't played one full season since coming into the NFL without missing a game or games or seasons. Besides that he has catching issues.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/pl...-mcdonald/6717
    McDonald played 15 games last year after missing the first game.Yes he had problems with injuries in the past, but not last year in the regular season

As a player, he is not perfect, but he is an above average TE.

[QUOTE=polamalubeast;692404]McDonald played 15 games last year after missing the first game.Yes he had problems with injuries in the past, but not last year in the regular season

As a player, he is not perfect, but he is an above average TE.[/QUOTE

He missed the season opener last year, but had a good year. I'll go into shock if that continues this season.

It's impossible to predict the health of a player .... Sometimes a player is more unlucky than others, so I hope that bad luck for McDonald's is a thing of the past.

As player, when he is on the field, I expect that he continues to be productive.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

We'll get something like 2012-2013. A merely above average Offense that is good enough for 8-8, but not enough to cover for Keith Butler's Defense.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

how many Super Bowls did we win with AB and Bell?

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    We'll get something like 2012-2013. A merely above average Offense that is good enough for 8-8, but not enough to cover for Keith Butler's Defense.
    They will have to prove that on the field, but the steelers are more talented and younger in defense than the teams in 2012 and 2013.