Thread: The Steelers Have A Serious UDFA Problem

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

The Steelers Have A Serious UDFA Problem

This isn’t the first time I’ve broached this topic. But each year it fails to change, the larger the issue looms. The Pittsburgh Steelers have a serious UDFA problem. And it doesn’t take long to realize it.
    Since the UDFA class of 2016 to the present day, the immediate group of players Pittsburgh’s signed have played – total – 166 snaps. Offense, defense, and yes, I’m throwing special teams in there too. Here’s the breakdown
    Matthew Thomas/LB (2018): 99 snaps
    Johnny Maxey/DL (2016): 58 snaps
    Ola Adeiniyi/OLB (2018): 9 snaps

That’s it.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/th...-udfa-problem/

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: The Steelers Have A Serious UDFA Problem

I'm not even gonna take the click bait. So UDFA's rarely take a lot of snaps. Shocking.

Matt Feiler was a 2014 UDFA signing of Houston, so does it count that the Steelers signed him? BJ Finney was a 2015 Signing by the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Where does this fit in the whole "Tomlin has underachieved with a lavishly talented roster" narrative?

If the UDFA situation is indeed a "serious problem" then the roster isn't super talented? Or it is super talented?

I can't keep all the stories straight.

Also the story would be interesting to pursue in a follow up at another level. Take a look at teams with high UDFA snap totals and then look at their draft pick snap totals. In other words, why are the UDFAs playing? Because they forced their way onto the field or because the rest of the depth chart in front of them crapped out due to performance and injury?

For instance, Lindsay (RB Broncos) largely got his chance due to injury and the draft picks in front of him not being any good. So do the Broncos get a gold star for uncovering a UDFA gem or a frowny face for not getting production from draft picks the position?

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Am I understanding this correctly? The Steelers undrafted FAs haven’t outplayed the players higher on the depth chart consistently, and this is evidence of a problem somehow?

Why should we care who our best players are, or what path they took to become our best players? The only relevant question is: are we somehow acquiring players who are good enough?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

? Problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Fair points are made. Our rookie free agents classes have not been good lately. One trend I see is the Steelers seldom get the priority free agents types. Another trend is too many are local colleges closer to Pittsburgh. This can change, it only takes a little $$$.

Don't dismiss the rookie free agent class. It wasn't that long ago when the draft was 12 rounds, so essential 5 people that are rookie free agents would have been draft picks.

One shocker to me is we should attracted a better punter and kicker in the rookie free agent class.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    One shocker to me is we should attracted a better punter and kicker in the rookie free agent class.
    we did, Ian Berryman of Western Carolina. I think he'll give Berry some serious competition for the punting job.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Fair points are made. Our rookie free agents classes have not been good lately. One trend I see is the Steelers seldom get the priority free agents types. Another trend is too many are local colleges closer to Pittsburgh. This can change, it only takes a little $$$.

Don't dismiss the rookie free agent class. It wasn't that long ago when the draft was 12 rounds, so essential 5 people that are rookie free agents would have been draft picks.

WHAT?

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

When you have a weak starter at P or K, you should be able to pick up a priority rookie free agent as they will go to the teams where they think they have the best chance to make the roster.

- - - Updated - - -

On Matthew Thomas, he must have had an issue with Tomlin. The rookie free agent flashed speed, tackling ability, and ability to rush the passer. He should have been given more playing time on Sunday, but wasn't. I think he can play. The Ravens picked him up.

Senior Member Array title="Hound is a jewel in the rough">

Thomas was a undrafted FA, Thomas was also an underachiever at Florida State. Not a major loss on any aspect for the Steelers

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

There are 24 starters on offense & defense (22 real starters, plus your third CB and FB). Of those, here are the ones who were undrafted:

AV
    Ramon Foster
    BJ Finney
    Mike Hilton
    Rosie Nix

That is 21%. If we count URFAs as an eighth round, and if each round is “even”, then each round should make up 12.5% of the roster.

So... with that settled, we can now we can complain that there are “too many” URFAs on the team.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Is it September yet?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Steelers spent a good chunk of change last year in UDFA. Thomas was one who got that big $$$ for a UDFA. There have been others. Thomas as cut because he was stupid. All the pre-draft reports said it. Every single one. All that speed and athleticism was connected to a 10 cent head that the coaches did not trust to properly understand the defense.

That and a roster crunch with injuries later in the year. They couldn’t carry a guy who had no ability to get on the field.

I remember Howard Jones at OLB was another one that everyone was sure was going to be a terrible cut. Then he had two sacks with Tampa (they were dong sacks, but no one cared) and everyone said “see!”. Then Howard Jones proceed to do nothing. POint? I ain’t worried about Matthew Thomas getting cut.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

So UDFAs aren't producing or getting snaps?

Senior Member Array title="Hound is a jewel in the rough">

Teegre, that was perfect!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    There are 24 starters on offense & defense (22 real starters, plus your third CB and FB). Of those, here are the ones who were undrafted:

AV
    Ramon Foster
    BJ Finney
    Mike Hilton
    Rosie Nix

That is 21%. If we count URFAs as an eighth round, and if each round is “even”, then each round should make up 12.5% of the roster.

So... with that settled, we can now we can complain that there are “too many” URFAs on the team.
    That’s all you got?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    This isn’t the first time I’ve broached this topic. But each year it fails to change, the larger the issue looms. The Pittsburgh Steelers have a serious UDFA problem. And it doesn’t take long to realize it.
    Since the UDFA class of 2016 to the present day, the immediate group of players Pittsburgh’s signed have played – total – 166 snaps. Offense, defense, and yes, I’m throwing special teams in there too. Here’s the breakdown
    Matthew Thomas/LB (2018): 99 snaps
    Johnny Maxey/DL (2016): 58 snaps
    Ola Adeiniyi/OLB (2018): 9 snaps

That’s it.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/th...-udfa-problem/
    Yep - every UDFA class should have at least one Donnie Shell - anything less is a total fail

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

AV
    Ramon Foster
    BJ Finney
    Mike Hilton
    Rosie Nix

Great post