Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 74

Thread: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

  1. #31
    Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    16,226

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    All this is a moot point. If we kept John Kuhn, we would have won 9 super bowls
    This right here.



    Now, would Cowher get the credit for those 9 SB's since Kuhn was a Cowher guy?



  2. #32
    The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Iowegia
    Posts
    5,280

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I figured the unwarranted landry jones adulation would end when he was cut. Sadly looks like I am wrong.
    It's not 'adulation' it's just objectivity. Jones was a solid backup, but wasn't going to be the future of this franchise. Me *personally*, I would've preferred picking up C.J. Beathard from SF as the backup because he fits our system. But they didn't, they let Jones go, and went with younger talent *shrug*... Maybe one of these younger kids is "it". Maybe not.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

  3. #33
    Inconsiderate S.O.B. Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Posts
    10,127

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    It's not 'adulation' it's just objectivity. Jones was a solid backup, but wasn't going to be the future of this franchise. Me *personally*, I would've preferred picking up C.J. Beathard from SF as the backup because he fits our system. But they didn't, they let Jones go, and went with younger talent *shrug*... Maybe one of these younger kids is "it". Maybe not.
    I don't agree with this at all. The guy had one good game - one good half, really - and mostly sucked horse cock after that. Being the perpetual Week 17 Cleveland Warrior may have made his lifetime stats look almost acceptable, but the guy was not solid by any stretch of the imagination.
    An empty victory is a victory nonetheless.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    3,850

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    This right here.



    Now, would Cowher get the credit for those 9 SB's since Kuhn was a Cowher guy?

    Why wouldn't he? He gets credit for James Harrison even though he cut him 6 times.

  5. #35
    The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Iowegia
    Posts
    5,280

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I don't agree with this at all. The guy had one good game - one good half, really - and mostly sucked horse cock after that. Being the perpetual Week 17 Cleveland Warrior may have made his lifetime stats look almost acceptable, but the guy was not solid by any stretch of the imagination.
    I suspect you and I are operating under very different definitions of "solid backup". I don't expect a backup QB to play as well as a starter or even get good stats. I just expect him to be able to step in at a moment's notice with minimal practice, hold the team together, know the full playbook, and not make dumb mistakes that cost the game. AFAIC Jones did that well.
    Now... compared to an average starting QB, yeah. I agree he "sucked horse cock".
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

  6. #36
    Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Gender
    Posts
    2,212

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Landry Jones, eh. Perennial average backup and we know that's what he is and always will be. Teams weren't necessarily beating the door down to sign him, so most of the league doesn't even consider him a good backup. Good backups don't have a problem finding a team. Heck even RG3 was picked up faster lol

    I like our current QB stable, I like having a potential starter in waiting (or two) over well, horse gobbler jones lol

  7. #37
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    32,042

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Landry Jones, eh. Perennial average backup and we know that's what he is and always will be. Teams weren't necessarily beating the door down to sign him, so most of the league doesn't even consider him a good backup. Good backups don't have a problem finding a team. Heck even RG3 was picked up faster lol

    I like our current QB stable, I like having a potential starter in waiting (or two) over well, horse gobbler jones lol
    That’s being generous. When the Steelers let him go last year, nobody rushed out to sign him as a back up or third string...lol. He’s another one of those players that sat on the Steelers roster that 31 other teams had zero interest in.




  8. #38
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    20,489

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    That’s being generous. When the Steelers let him go last year, nobody rushed out to sign him as a back up or third string...lol. He’s another one of those players that sat on the Steelers roster that 31 other teams had zero interest in.
    Yes, but at the same time, Jones was cut just before the season and it's long for a QB to learn a new playbook and to have good chemistry with your new receivers.

  9. #39
    Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Massillon, Ohio
    Posts
    2,058

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    So... you want him back?

  10. #40
    Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    9,221

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Landry Jones was all brain, no balls.

    Landry absolutely knew where to throw the ball, but he was hesitant... which led to late throws (which often looked like they were going to be INTs). The few times when he just dropped back and chucked it, he looked good. Alas, those moments were few & far between.

    He’ll make a good QB coach.

  11. #41
    Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Aloha State
    Gender
    Posts
    6,389

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    So... you want him back?

  12. #42
    Inconsiderate S.O.B. Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Posts
    10,127

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    I suspect you and I are operating under very different definitions of "solid backup". I don't expect a backup QB to play as well as a starter or even get good stats. I just expect him to be able to step in at a moment's notice with minimal practice, hold the team together, know the full playbook, and not make dumb mistakes that cost the game. AFAIC Jones did that well.
    Now... compared to an average starting QB, yeah. I agree he "sucked horse cock".
    I don't know, man. In my mind, a solid backup can actually move the offense some, and make a few plays on his own. Not just "don't make any horrible game-losing mistakes." Jones's horrible game-losing mistake was that he could hardly put together a decent drive, and the offense would struggle all day to maybe grind out 13 or so points. It wasn't a single dramatic mistake you could point to, he just sucked, and it was just as bad as throwing a couple of ill-timed picks per game.

    "But wait, no QB except a top-10 starter can do those things!!! You're completely unreasonable to expect it from a backup!" I can just hear people lining up to say.

    Really, am I that unreasonable, though? When exactly did it become written in stone that everyone except a franchise QB had to be utterly, mind-bendingly incompetent, to the point where he's having a career day if he doesn't trip over his own feet? And THAT'S supposed to be the standard expectation for a backup? Sounds like those people have a problem with expectations, not me.
    An empty victory is a victory nonetheless.

  13. #43
    Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    9,221

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Craig Whelihan was lambasted by Chargers fans for years.

    He used to work out at my gym (and he was seriously one of the nicest people I’ve ever met) and people would say to him how he “sucked”. He’d laugh it off, and self deprecate... and everyone went about their business.

    Well, one day, someone struck a nerve in Craig. He told the person to open the back window of their car. Then, from 50 yards away, Craig three a spiral right in the window, into the back seat, without going out the other side. Think about how good you’d have to be to throw a ball like that. Really. (The derisor quickly shut up and left.)

    SUMMATION:
    Landry Jones sucks compared to Big Ben. But, he’s still a better QB than 99% of the QBs to ever play in college... which is better than 99.999% of the people any of us has ever been around.

  14. #44
    Inconsiderate S.O.B. Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Posts
    10,127

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Craig Whelihan was lambasted by Chargers fans for years.

    He used to work out at my gym (and he was seriously one of the nicest people I’ve ever met) and people would say to him how he “sucked”. He’d laugh it off, and self deprecate... and everyone went about their business.

    Well, one day, someone struck a nerve in Craig. He told the person to open the back window of their car. Then, from 50 yards away, Craig three a spiral right in the window, into the back seat, without going out the other side. Think about how good you’d have to be to throw a ball like that. Really. (The derisor quickly shut up and left.)

    SUMMATION:
    Landry Jones sucks compared to Big Ben. But, he’s still a better QB than 99% of the QBs to ever play in college... which is better than 99.999% of the people any of us has ever been around.
    I'm sure he's a very good quarterback in the absolute sense. But he sucks compared to other professional football players, which is what matters here.
    An empty victory is a victory nonetheless.

  15. #45
    The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Iowegia
    Posts
    5,280

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I'm sure he's a very good quarterback in the absolute sense. But he sucks compared to other professional football players, which is what matters here.
    It does... but not in the way you think. If he didn't suck compared to other pro football players, he'd be a starter himself. Or at least a guy good enough to be a starter who's stuck behind another starter. That's a bad situation for the team, because you wind up with either a QB controversy or a guy who's looking for the door, not a guy who embraces the role of backup.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

  16. #46
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    32,042

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Yes, but at the same time, Jones was cut just before the season and it's long for a QB to learn a new playbook and to have good chemistry with your new receivers.
    Sitting on a bench, he has plenty of time to learn a new playbook. Doesn’t take that long...it’s not easy, but it shouldn’t take too long to learn it as a QB.




  17. #47
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    9,424

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I don't know, man. In my mind, a solid backup can actually move the offense some, and make a few plays on his own. Not just "don't make any horrible game-losing mistakes." Jones's horrible game-losing mistake was that he could hardly put together a decent drive, and the offense would struggle all day to maybe grind out 13 or so points. It wasn't a single dramatic mistake you could point to, he just sucked, and it was just as bad as throwing a couple of ill-timed picks per game.

    "But wait, no QB except a top-10 starter can do those things!!! You're completely unreasonable to expect it from a backup!" I can just hear people lining up to say.

    Really, am I that unreasonable, though? When exactly did it become written in stone that everyone except a franchise QB had to be utterly, mind-bendingly incompetent, to the point where he's having a career day if he doesn't trip over his own feet? And THAT'S supposed to be the standard expectation for a backup? Sounds like those people have a problem with expectations, not me.
    Everyone would like to live in a world where your expectations are met. They are nice ones to have. But look around the league and stare in horror at the absolute garbage that is the back-up QB position. An NFL team is actually contemplating having Nathan Peterman be its #2.

    Landry Jones was not that good. But he was far from the rotten bottom of the barrel that most teams are stuck with.

    The overall crappiness of back-up Qbs andthe struggles of starters in the NFL is a serious problem. I refuse to believe that there are only ever like 2 dozen people on the planet who can effectively play NFL QB. I’m not sure that I’m ready to annoint NFL quarterback as the harderst thing people have ever done. I suspect it is more that coaches suck at adapting and scouts stink at finding guys that can play.

  18. #48
    Inconsiderate S.O.B. Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Posts
    10,127

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    It does... but not in the way you think. If he didn't suck compared to other pro football players, he'd be a starter himself. Or at least a guy good enough to be a starter who's stuck behind another starter. That's a bad situation for the team, because you wind up with either a QB controversy or a guy who's looking for the door, not a guy who embraces the role of backup.
    No, that's exactly what you want. A guy good enough that he will look for a starting job somewhere. Yes, you'll have to look for a new guy every few years. But guess what, when you have a shitty backup, you also have to look for a new guy every few years, because he sucks and you get fed up with it.

    The net of it is that you will be in the exact same situation and either have a backup who can win the occasional game or a backup who can't. In what clown world is it preferable to have the guy who can't?
    An empty victory is a victory nonetheless.

  19. #49
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    20,489

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    No, that's exactly what you want. A guy good enough that he will look for a starting job somewhere. Yes, you'll have to look for a new guy every few years. But guess what, when you have a shitty backup, you also have to look for a new guy every few years, because he sucks and you get fed up with it.

    The net of it is that you will be in the exact same situation and either have a backup who can win the occasional game or a backup who can't. In what clown world is it preferable to have the guy who can't?
    I think you would like a QB backup like Ryan Fitzpatrick.

    The problem with that is that it would cost at least $ 5-7 million per year ... would you be willing to pay this price to a QB who would have a good chance of being on the bench in the entire year?

    Also his QB will always sign with teams with starters who are close to losing their job.

  20. #50
    Inconsiderate S.O.B. Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Posts
    10,127

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The overall crappiness of back-up Qbs andthe struggles of starters in the NFL is a serious problem. I refuse to believe that there are only ever like 2 dozen people on the planet who can effectively play NFL QB. I’m not sure that I’m ready to annoint NFL quarterback as the harderst thing people have ever done. I suspect it is more that coaches suck at adapting and scouts stink at finding guys that can play.
    Yes, I refuse to believe that also. It was not that long ago that I can remember many (if not most) teams having backups who could come in and run the offense competently. Now it's almost none, and any time the backup comes in, the offense is stuck and you're lucky if they don't get booed off the field. It never used to be that way, and it makes no sense that the general talent level of available QBs has gone off a cliff for no reason.

    If I had to guess what changed, it's that there is so much hype (and money) surrounding the position that no one is willing to take chances. There is an almost cult-like importance placed on The Starter, with a capital T and a capital S, and he is beyond sacrosanct unless something has gone horribly, horribly wrong. Pulling him out of a game for performance reasons is, like, a BIG DEAL that everyone will be talking about on ESPN that night, and your job is on the line for it. Like, unless you just broke the all-time record for interceptions or lowest QB rating, you are not getting taken out just because you are having a bad game. When that kind of thing used to happen all the time, even to the great QBs sometimes.

    Then on top of that, even practices are so scrutinized, down to the last detail, that you have this ultra-stratification about who is getting the first-team reps and who's in the game plan and who's not, and who's running drills with whom - and the growing restrictions on practice time (14 padded practices a year, really?) probably don't help either. Basically, the super-hyped QB culture means no one will take any risks, and if you thought highly of a guy, you.will exhaust EVERY opportunity for him to prove himself. And so much importance is placed on the position that people are afraid to let go of BACKUPS without running the full due process, and if you're looking for a backup, the safe move is to find an existing backup even if he sucked, not take a chance on an unknown. So, far fewer QBs get a real look, and unless you have a pedigree, you probably don't even get a real shot in practice.

    So ironically, with 10 times the attention, 10 times the money, and 10 times the draft status going toward the position, the result is way less QBs getting a legitimate opportunity, which means way less are going to be any good.

    I guess this is another way of saying that coaches and For are no better at evaluating that "special something" that makes a good QB than they were 25 years ago ... but now that they make a big show of it, it slows down the process, so the only effect is that you're choosing from a smaller pool of QBs, so of course you will find fewer good ones. If you haven't actually refined your methods to get any better at it, you're just talking a lot and running around for nothing.

    tl;dr - people still have no idea what makes QBs succeed or fail, but they like to pretend they do, so their excessive gyrations have gotten in the way.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I think you would like a QB backup like Ryan Fitzpatrick.

    The problem with that is that it would cost at least $ 5-7 million per year ... would you be willing to pay this price to a QB who would have a good chance of being on the bench in the entire year?

    Also his QB will always sign with teams with starters who are close to losing their job.
    This is the level of backup you should be TRYING for. You don't spend $7 million on one, so you draft them instead, or you sign an unproven guy with an unknown ceiling. If that doesn't work out, you try again with a different guy. That's the key point, you try again. You do NOT get stuck on Landry Jones for four or five years.
    An empty victory is a victory nonetheless.

  21. #51
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    20,489

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post



    This is the level of backup you should be TRYING for. You don't spend $7 million on one, so you draft them instead, or you sign an unproven guy with an unknown ceiling. If that doesn't work out, you try again with a different guy. That's the key point, you try again. You do NOT get stuck on Landry Jones for four or five years.
    That's what the steelers tried to do with Dobbs and Rudolph in the last few years ... We will see if it will work or not.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Also, for a QB, it's important to be in a good situation to have success.

    Patrick Mahommes, a lot of talent, but he was in a great situation with Andy Reid who had success with several QB.Jared Goff .... Terrible situation with Jeff Fisher in his rookie year, but after he is much better with Sean McVay.

    It is very important for a young QB to be in a good situation.

  22. #52
    Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Gender
    Posts
    2,212

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    It does... but not in the way you think. If he didn't suck compared to other pro football players, he'd be a starter himself. Or at least a guy good enough to be a starter who's stuck behind another starter. That's a bad situation for the team, because you wind up with either a QB controversy or a guy who's looking for the door, not a guy who embraces the role of backup.
    I disagree, that's not a bad situation for the team. I'd rather have a Steve Young or Aaron Rodgers on the bench over say, Tee Martin or Landry Jones

  23. #53
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,773

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post


    This is the level of backup you should be TRYING for. You don't spend $7 million on one, so you draft them instead, or you sign an unproven guy with an unknown ceiling. If that doesn't work out, you try again with a different guy. That's the key point, you try again. You do NOT get stuck on Landry Jones for four or five years.
    Yes, but could have found other journeyman backups at a reasonable price instead of wasting a 4th round pick on Josh Dobbs, when they could have drafted a position of need at TE like George Kittle with that pick instead.

    Jones salary for 2017 was $1.9million. Hardly a number that was stressing the cap. I would still rather have had Jones or a FA backup at $2million and TE Kittle on the roster, instead of the alternative of Dobbs carrying a clipboard and the TE group of McDonald, Grimble, Gentry. Dobbs is terrible.

  24. #54
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    32,042

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    A good back up QB should cost $4-$7M and you want that guy to be able to play .500 ball over a limited time until the starter returns. If you want a backup QB that’s good, you have to pay. Landry Jones was a younger version of an old Charlie Batch. He was here because Ben was comfortable with him and because he has a football head. He couldn’t make the throws or execute the plays. He knew what he was supposed to do but couldn’t do it physically.




  25. #55
    Inconsiderate S.O.B. Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Posts
    10,127

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yes, but could have found other journeyman backups at a reasonable price instead of wasting a 4th round pick on Josh Dobbs, when they could have drafted a position of need at TE like George Kittle with that pick instead.

    Jones salary for 2017 was $1.9million. Hardly a number that was stressing the cap. I would still rather have had Jones or a FA backup at $2million and TE Kittle on the roster, instead of the alternative of Dobbs carrying a clipboard and the TE group of McDonald, Grimble, Gentry. Dobbs is terrible.
    I would tend to agree with all of that, only with the added stipulation that I'd rather have spent the $2 million on anyone BUT Jones.

    I mean, $2 million for a guy who you already know is going to suck, or $2 million for Player X, who will probably suck but might not. I'll take Player X every time.

    It's like, we have this thing with certain players who are NOTHING SPECIAL, but half the fan base (and apparently the FO) goes hysterical over who we could find to replace them. Any dumbass who's looking to change teams, that's who. There is NO value to us in keeping guys who are basically at the skill floor for staying employed. Find another guy and he sucks too? Oh well, you're no worse off than when you started. Maybe you get lucky, though. Quantity over quality is what matters when you're cycling through those end-of-the-roster guys, because there ain't much quality down there, only luck.

    A certain pair of outside linebackers come to mind here ... I'll just call the first one "B.D." and then a certain guy whose name starts with a C, ends with an O, and has "hickill" in the middle.

    Hell, you could also say Grimble is one of those, and part of the reason holding the TE group back. (The guy we just drafted will likely be another).

    Dobbs I can't completely fault them for - at least they were trying to take a chance at getting someone better in there. But if they cannot bring themselves to move on, now that it's becoming clear what we have, then they have got to be fuckin stupid.
    An empty victory is a victory nonetheless.

  26. #56
    Inconsiderate S.O.B. Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Posts
    10,127

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    A good back up QB should cost $4-$7M and you want that guy to be able to play .500 ball over a limited time until the starter returns. If you want a backup QB that’s good, you have to pay. Landry Jones was a younger version of an old Charlie Batch. He was here because Ben was comfortable with him and because he has a football head. He couldn’t make the throws or execute the plays. He knew what he was supposed to do but couldn’t do it physically.
    Be that as it may - was Landry Jones a "good choice?"

    Was Charlie Batch good to have around at the very end when he was completely broken down, or was he a liability at that point?

    I mean, look, I know draft picks are not gonna come out perfect every time, backup QBs are backups for a reason, and mid-round draft picks spent on backup QBs should have mild expectations to say the least. But let's call it what it is, a swing and a miss.

    I am not even upset that we missed. We rolled the dice with Jones and we lost 5 bucks - so what, it happens. But it was not, by any stretch of the imagination, a "good choice." (Also, the other thing is that with these players, we tend to roll the dice and lose $5, then turn it into a $100 loss by staying at the table too long. But I kind of went into that above already in a different post.)
    An empty victory is a victory nonetheless.

  27. #57
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,773

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I would tend to agree with all of that, only with the added stipulation that I'd rather have spent the $2 million on anyone BUT Jones.

    I mean, $2 million for a guy who you already know is going to suck, or $2 million for Player X, who will probably suck but might not. I'll take Player X every time.

    It's like, we have this thing with certain players who are NOTHING SPECIAL, but half the fan base (and apparently the FO) goes hysterical over who we could find to replace them. Any dumbass who's looking to change teams, that's who. There is NO value to us in keeping guys who are basically at the skill floor for staying employed. Find another guy and he sucks too? Oh well, you're no worse off than when you started. Maybe you get lucky, though. Quantity over quality is what matters when you're cycling through those end-of-the-roster guys, because there ain't much quality down there, only luck.

    A certain pair of outside linebackers come to mind here ... I'll just call the first one "B.D." and then a certain guy whose name starts with a C, ends with an O, and has "hickill" in the middle.

    Hell, you could also say Grimble is one of those, and part of the reason holding the TE group back. (The guy we just drafted will likely be another).

    Dobbs I can't completely fault them for - at least they were trying to take a chance at getting someone better in there. But if they cannot bring themselves to move on, now that it's becoming clear what we have, then they have got to be fuckin stupid.
    I am all for bringing in somebody young with upside rather than vets who have reached your ceiling, but in the case of backup QB, I think the Steelers had much more pressing needs in the 4th round than Dobbs at backup QB. Not drafting Dobbs and having Jones, another vet or even Rudolph last season as backup QB, but with George Kittle, Damonte Kazee or Desmond King on the team ….would make the Steelers better.

    Josh Dobbs was the 5th best QB at the Senior Bowl. Nate Peterman, Antonio Pipkin, Davis Webb and CJ Beathard looked better than Dobbs. Dobbs was so brutal in the Raiders game and I bet even Jones could have managed to move the offense to some points, given his knowledge of the offense and NFL experience.

    Was Landry Jones a good QB? Good enough to be an inexpensive backup, but not somebody that could be the future franchise QB. I think Rudolph could have the upside that neither Jones nor Dobbs has. Dobbs was not BPA, but rather a reach for a 6th round QB in the 4th, when the Steelers didn't need a 6th round talent at QB.

  28. #58
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    32,042

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Be that as it may - was Landry Jones a "good choice?"

    Was Charlie Batch good to have around at the very end when he was completely broken down, or was he a liability at that point?

    I mean, look, I know draft picks are not gonna come out perfect every time, backup QBs are backups for a reason, and mid-round draft picks spent on backup QBs should have mild expectations to say the least. But let's call it what it is, a swing and a miss.

    I am not even upset that we missed. We rolled the dice with Jones and we lost 5 bucks - so what, it happens. But it was not, by any stretch of the imagination, a "good choice." (Also, the other thing is that with these players, we tend to roll the dice and lose $5, then turn it into a $100 loss by staying at the table too long. But I kind of went into that above already in a different post.)
    Jones - No. Batch (because Maddox/Leftwich were there as well) - Yes.




  29. #59
    Inconsiderate S.O.B. Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Posts
    10,127

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I am all for bringing in somebody young with upside rather than vets who have reached your ceiling, but in the case of backup QB, I think the Steelers had much more pressing needs in the 4th round than Dobbs at backup QB. Not drafting Dobbs and having Jones, another vet or even Rudolph last season as backup QB, but with George Kittle, Damonte Kazee or Desmond King on the team ….would make the Steelers better.

    Josh Dobbs was the 5th best QB at the Senior Bowl. Nate Peterman, Antonio Pipkin, Davis Webb and CJ Beathard looked better than Dobbs. Dobbs was so brutal in the Raiders game and I bet even Jones could have managed to move the offense to some points, given his knowledge of the offense and NFL experience.

    Was Landry Jones a good QB? Good enough to be an inexpensive backup, but not somebody that could be the future franchise QB. I think Rudolph could have the upside that neither Jones nor Dobbs has. Dobbs was not BPA, but rather a reach for a 6th round QB in the 4th, when the Steelers didn't need a 6th round talent at QB.
    Yeah, if you think we spent too much on Dobbs, that's one thing I can totally get behind. Jones needed to go, though. Cheap veteran, 6th-round draft pick plus an UDFA competing for the third spot or something ... I mean, you are not gonna do that much worse than Jones no matter what you do. If you're looking to do better, then yeah, maybe spend a draft pick; if you're just looking to stay the same, then do it as cheaply as possible.

    It sounds like the real issue is that we simply blew it on whether Dobbs was any good or not. The fact that we have not managed to draft or sign a single QB prospect in 15 years that even turned into an acceptable BACKUP perhaps points to some other problems that we have going on, but that is another story.
    An empty victory is a victory nonetheless.

  30. #60
    The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Iowegia
    Posts
    5,280

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I disagree, that's not a bad situation for the team. I'd rather have a Steve Young or Aaron Rodgers on the bench over say, Tee Martin or Landry Jones
    I highly doubt it. You don't get a Steve Young or an Aaron Rodgers without spending some serious cash. You'll wind up with 2 HoF QBs (only one of which actually plays) and 51 scrubs.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •