Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 74

Thread: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    19,139

    A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    E.J. Manuel announced his retirement yesterday. On the surface, that shouldnít mean much to you except ďwow, he was still in the league?Ē Hereís why itís relevant. It basically cements Landry Jones as, and I canít believe Iím saying this, maybe the best quarterback of the 2013 draft class.

    Seriously.

    For starters, Jones is the only QB selected that year to have more winds than losses.

    Mike Glennon: 6-16
    Geno Smith: 12-19
    EJ Manuel: 6-12
    Matt Barkley: 2-5
    Landry Jones: 3-2

    Jones also has the highest completion percentage, touchdown rate, and QB rating than the others, too. By no means is this to say that Jones is a great or even good quarterback. It just puts in perspective how terrible that draft class was and for the Steelers, relatively speaking, they made an ok pick.

    read more

    https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/a-...a-good-choice/

  2. #2
    Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fair Hill Md.
    Posts
    15,897

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    In my opinion cutting Landry might have cost us the playoffs in a sense. I have little doubt he could have finished off Oakland. Dobbs may or may not eventually be as good or better. But to me that wasn't the point. Carrying two developmental qb's on a playoff ready team was a critical coaching error. You have to have an NFL ready back up on your roster. People play down the talent of Charlie Batch. And he was no great shakes. But he saved more than one season by being just good enough to eke out that necessary win when Ben missed a game or more. I think Landry showed us in the season finale of 17 with many of the Steelers best players sitting out the game that he could beat a team of the Raiders class.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    12,392

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Lol, landry was horrible. He in no way helped the franchise at all. Being in a terrible class doesn't make him any better. This thread title should be filed under comedy black and gold

  4. #4
    Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a brilliant future"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Gender
    Posts
    2,730

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Steelers fault Dobbs was bad in Oakland. They would run the first two downs and throw on 3rd and Oakland knew it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,967

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Landry Jones is a great backup to have when your team is in contention and "win-now" mode. He knows the Offense and won't lose the game for you. Landry is the perfect backup to Ben when the Quarterback had his weapons and the team's goal was in sight. The Steelers, as it was made abundantly clear in 2018, are not in that mode anymore wether they like it or not. The Super Bowl Window slammed shut against the Jaguars and arguably earlier, when Jesee James' catch didn't count.

    Ben complained last offseason that Rudolph's drafting doesn't help the team "win now", well that's the idea. "Win Now" is over.

    With the teams' arrow likely pointing down in 2019, Landry is no longer needed. The team doesn't need to waste a quarterback slot on guy who clearly isn't the future or the next step to Ben. They're starting a QB competition between Dobbs and Rudolph. Like it or not, the Steelers have to be prepared for Ben's retirement. With Le'Veon and AB gone, it's now more apparent than ever.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    19,139

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    The super bowl window means nothing, when we have never been close to winning an AFC title game during the Killer B era.

    They had the talent, but never proved it on the field when it mattered.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Gender
    Posts
    4,128

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Steelers fault Dobbs was bad in Oakland. They would run the first two downs and throw on 3rd and Oakland knew it.
    Dobbs sucked in that game dude.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    19,139

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Steelers fault Dobbs was bad in Oakland. They would run the first two downs and throw on 3rd and Oakland knew it.
    Not true...Just to look in the play by play

    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...ai.htm#all_pbp

  9. #9
    Inconsiderate S.O.B. Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Posts
    10,076

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    In my opinion cutting Landry might have cost us the playoffs in a sense. I have little doubt he could have finished off Oakland. Dobbs may or may not eventually be as good or better. But to me that wasn't the point. Carrying two developmental qb's on a playoff ready team was a critical coaching error. You have to have an NFL ready back up on your roster. People play down the talent of Charlie Batch. And he was no great shakes. But he saved more than one season by being just good enough to eke out that necessary win when Ben missed a game or more. I think Landry showed us in the season finale of 17 with many of the Steelers best players sitting out the game that he could beat a team of the Raiders class.
    Rudolph was game-ready or he was a bad pick. If you are going to be a starting NFL quarterback at some point in your career, either you "get it" or you don't, and that's from your very first game of your rookie season. No one ever became a good QB by sitting on the bench who would've sucked if he was just thrown into a game. Since we are hoping Rudolph will be an eventual starter, it was our mistake for not having him suited up. Like, what's our plan, don't even find out if he's any good?

    As for the original post that Jones was a relatively "good" pick because the crop of QBs sucked that year, it reminds me of a quote that some asshole said once ... "Smearing mud on other people's fins doesn't help you swim any better." That's about how the Jones pick turned out.
    An empty victory is a victory nonetheless.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Aloha State
    Gender
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    As for the original post that Jones was a relatively "good" pick because the crop of QBs sucked that year, it reminds me of a quote that some asshole said once ... "Smearing mud on other people's fins doesn't help you swim any better." That's about how the Jones pick turned out.
    Jones just happened to be the tallest person at a midget convention...

  11. #11
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,686

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Dobbs sucked in that game dude.
    His legs are his best asset. He isn't an NFL caliber QB, so I hope either he improves in his 3rd season or that Rudolph grabs the reigns as the #2 QB, so that Dobbs can get on with his lifes work.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Gender
    Posts
    1,872

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The super bowl window means nothing, when we have never been close to winning an AFC title game during the Killer B era.

    They had the talent, but never proved it on the field when it mattered.
    They’ve got to be in there to prove it...ie the Denver playoff game where Bryant was both leading rusher and receiver, because both Bell and Brown were hurt. No fault of there’s just what it was. DHB was the second leading receiver, and we were one fumble away by a backup RB from going to the AFCC game.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    12,392

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    I figured the unwarranted landry jones adulation would end when he was cut. Sadly looks like I am wrong. The fact that he went unemployed for months at a time, failed to stick around in JACKSONVILLE of all places and only recently signed with flipping Oakland to presumably be at the bottom of their QB depth says everything

  14. #14
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    31,648

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Is Jones on a current roster?




  15. #15
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,686

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I figured the unwarranted landry jones adulation would end when he was cut. Sadly looks like I am wrong. The fact that he went unemployed for months at a time, failed to stick around in JACKSONVILLE of all places and only recently signed with flipping Oakland to presumably be at the bottom of their QB depth says everything
    Unwarranted Josh Dobbs adulation has taken over as a replacement.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Is Jones on a current roster?
    Raiders roster. Competing with Mike Glennon and Nathan Peterman for backup job.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Aloha State
    Gender
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

    Raiders roster. Competing with Mike Glennon and Nathan Peterman for backup job.
    I LOVE Nathan Peterman. my fantasy defense would always score over 20 points against him.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,731

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Rudolph was game-ready or he was a bad pick. If you are going to be a starting NFL quarterback at some point in your career, either you "get it" or you don't, and that's from your very first game of your rookie season. No one ever became a good QB by sitting on the bench who would've sucked if he was just thrown into a game. Since we are hoping Rudolph will be an eventual starter, it was our mistake for not having him suited up. Like, what's our plan, don't even find out if he's any good?

    As for the original post that Jones was a relatively "good" pick because the crop of QBs sucked that year, it reminds me of a quote that some asshole said once ... "Smearing mud on other people's fins doesn't help you swim any better." That's about how the Jones pick turned out.
    Iím not sure what you mean. You believe that if a QB isnít great on his first day in the NFL heíll never be any good? You donít think itís possible that if Mason Rudolph couldnít earn his way to the top of the depth chart as rookie he can ever be an NFL caliber quarterback?

    Maybe itís true that a QB would get better faster through playing than by sitting behind another QB for awhile, but our number one priority canít be to make Mason Rudolph good as fast as possible. Itís to win games. And the coaches obviously believed that last year Josh Dobbs gave us a better chance to win games as our #2. Itís certainly possible that their assessment was wrong, but the point still stands that giving Rudolph game experience just to make him better faster canít be our top priority.

    Besides, how do your two premises work together? If Rudolph is indeed going to be an NFL caliber, wonít he just prove it the first time he hits the field no matter how long he sits or plays before that? Heíll be game ready or he was a bad pick.

    I donít want to put words into mouth. Maybe Iím misunderstanding your meaning.

    Are you saying that Rudolph needs playing time to get good, or are you saying heís either already good enough to play or heíll never be good and it was a bad pick?

    Btw, I totally agree with your point about Jones. Just because the rest of his draft class might have been worse, it in no way proves that he is a worthy NFL QB.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,967

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Rudolph was game-ready or he was a bad pick. If you are going to be a starting NFL quarterback at some point in your career, either you "get it" or you don't, and that's from your very first game of your rookie season. No one ever became a good QB by sitting on the bench who would've sucked if he was just thrown into a game.
    A certain Steelers Quarterback was supposed to sit his entire rookie year behind Tommy Maddox. He was thrown into the fire in Baltimore when Maddox got injured during a blowout, then proceeded to throw two picks including a Pick Six when he came in.

    That dude just didn't "get it".

  19. #19
    Inconsiderate S.O.B. Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Posts
    10,076

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Are you saying that Rudolph needs playing time to get good, or are you saying he’s either already good enough to play or he’ll never be good and it was a bad pick?
    That's exactly what I'm saying. Either he's good enough to play QB or he isn't, and farting around for a couple years isn't going to change that. If he's any good, you could throw him in a game right now and he'll figure shit out; if he's not good enough, he won't. It doesn't matter whether his first game action is tomorrow, or 3 years from now after lots of "development," the result will be the same. The only difference is how much time we spend sweating over it.

    This is not to be confused with "Rudolph should be able to win the starting job," or "Rudolph should get some playing time over a healthy Ben in order to give him game experience." But he absolutely should be the first guy off the bench when the backup needs to come into the game. Throw him into the fire, it's not going to ruin him.

    By the way, I'm still mad about that Star Wars script never getting picked up, I mean what the fuck?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    A certain Steelers Quarterback was supposed to sit his entire rookie year behind Tommy Maddox. He was thrown into the fire in Baltimore when Maddox got injured during a blowout, then proceeded to throw two picks including a Pick Six when he came in.

    That dude just didn't "get it".
    If I recall, he went 13-1 that year and definitely got it.
    An empty victory is a victory nonetheless.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    19,139

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    That's exactly what I'm saying. Either he's good enough to play QB or he isn't, and farting around for a couple years isn't going to change that. If he's any good, you could throw him in a game right now and he'll figure shit out; if he's not good enough, he won't. It doesn't matter whether his first game action is tomorrow, or 3 years from now after lots of "development," the result will be the same. The only difference is how much time we spend sweating over it.

    This is not to be confused with "Rudolph should be able to win the starting job," or "Rudolph should get some playing time over a healthy Ben in order to give him game experience." But he absolutely should be the first guy off the bench when the backup needs to come into the game. Throw him into the fire, it's not going to ruin him.

    By the way, I'm still mad about that Star Wars script never getting picked up, I mean what the fuck?

    .

    I agree for the most part, but we can see some exceptions

    Aaron Rodgers was far from ready in 2005 and 2006 ... Rodgers was brutal in pre-season in 2005 and 2006, which was important games for him, since it was the only time of the season that Rodgers had the chance to play .. ..But in 2007, Rodgers started to have a lot of improvement in his play

    For Ruldolph, he could be very good, as he could be awful, I do not know, but for me he is a wasted pick, since it would be very surprising that he is the QB when Ben retires and we do not know when that will be the case, but very good chance that the Ruldolph rookie contract will be over without him being the full-time starter before, unless Roethlisberger has a serious injury, which has not happen since 2015.

  21. #21
    Inconsiderate S.O.B. Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Posts
    10,076

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I agree for the most part, but we can see some exceptions

    Aaron Rodgers was far from ready in 2005 and 2006 ... Rodgers was brutal in pre-season in 2005 and 2006, which was important games for him, since it was the only time of the season that Rodgers had the chance to play .. ..But in 2007, Rodgers started to have a lot of improvement in his play

    For Ruldolph, he could be very good, as he could be awful, I do not know, but for me he is a wasted pick, since it would be very surprising that he is the QB when Ben retires and we do not know when that will be the case, but very good chance that the Ruldolph rookie contract will be over without him being the full-time starter before, unless Roethlisberger has a serious injury, which has not happen since 2015.
    I knew someone would say Aaron Rodgers. But I don't think is deal was that he "wasn't ready" so much as he was stuck behind Brett Favre. I used to follow Cal football pretty closely when I lived around there, and he was as much of a polished, NFL-ready QB as anyone had ever seen - think Andrew Luck or Jared Goff. I watched those guys play a lot too, and you could just tell they knew something the other prospects didn't. (Boy, were the 49ers stupid for passing on Rodgers, along with 15 or 20 other teams.) Anyway, I would bet you a railroad car full of dogshit that if Rodgers had needed to come in because Favre went down for 4 or 5 games, he would've quickly figured it out.

    Anyway, the point is that with any successful NFL quarterback, the time when they are "ready" is basically the time when they are first pressed into more than garbage-time action. Maybe it takes a game or two of on-the-job learning, but if you get it, you get it. I can't think of many, if there are any at all, who failed from being thrown to the wolves too early ... although there are sure a lot who did the reverse - spent years "developing" and sucked anyway. Yes, there are lots of QBs who were thrown to the wolves and failed, but that was because they sucked to begin with.
    An empty victory is a victory nonetheless.

  22. #22

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    In all honesty, it looked as though they tied his arms around his back before going in. I wonder what if the story would have been the same if they just said, go out and play ball. (Assuming they didn't.)
    Last edited by Craic; 05-15-2019 at 10:29 PM. Reason: That's what I get for trying to post from a phone
    ďLife is a series of decisions you make that add up to your reputation. Do the right thing.Ē
    óDan Rooney (1932-2017)

  23. #23
    Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Posts
    9,270

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Goff was not ready his rookie year. Then he was in a SB.

    Almost like there is no absolutes?

    Might be useful to split the discussion between first round guys and later round guys.

  24. #24
    Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Gender
    Posts
    4,128

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    I'd prefer Landry Jones over Dobbs as the #3.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has a spectacular aura about"> pepsyman1's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Marlton, NJ
    Gender
    Posts
    3,101

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'd prefer Landry Jones over Dobbs as the #3.

    I'd prefer a tackling dummy over Landry Jones....lol

  26. #26
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,686

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'd prefer Landry Jones over Dobbs as the #3.
    I'd prefer George Kittle was drafted in the 4th round instead of Josh Dobbs.

  27. #27
    Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    8,867

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I'd prefer George Kittle was drafted in the 4th round instead of Josh Dobbs.
    Oh man if it was only so.
    "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself--and you are
    the easiest person to fool."

    --Richard Feynmann

  28. #28
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,686

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Oh man if it was only so.
    I know. Its not like the Steelers needed some TE depth with that 4th round pick.

    But instead they took the 5th best QB that attended the Senior Bowl that year, so he could spend his 5 year NFL career not contributing to a team.

  29. #29
    Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Gender
    Posts
    4,128

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    The hate for backup QBs in this forum is laughable... When Ben retires it's gonna be cRaZy...

  30. #30
    Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Gender
    Posts
    2,055

    Re: A Reminder Landry Jones Was (In A Way) A Good Choice

    All this is a moot point. If we kept John Kuhn, we would have won 9 super bowls

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •