Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will emerge as the Steelers number two wide receiver?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Who will emerge as the Steelers number two wide receiver?

For the first time in a while, the outlook on the wide receiver position is quite unclear. After trading Antonio Brown to the Raiders this offseason, JuJu stands to see an uptick in targets as the Steelers’ number one receiver.

However, if history is any indication, Brown’s departure leaves 168 targets to go around.

My question is this: Who will emerge as the number two receiver in Pittsburgh this year?

There are essentially three candidates to do this for the Steelers: James Washington, Donte Moncrief, and Diontae Johnson. I recently took a poll to get the fans’ view of who they believe will come out on top of this three-person positional battle in 2019. Here’s how they voted:

read more

https://stillcurtain.com/2019/05/11/...number-two-wr/

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Re: Who will emerge as the Steelers number two wide receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    For the first time in a while, the outlook on the wide receiver position is quite unclear. After trading Antonio Brown to the Raiders this offseason, JuJu stands to see an uptick in targets as the Steelers’ number one receiver.

However, if history is any indication, Brown’s departure leaves 168 targets to go around.

My question is this: Who will emerge as the number two receiver in Pittsburgh this year?

There are essentially three candidates to do this for the Steelers: James Washington, Donte Moncrief, and Diontae Johnson. I recently took a poll to get the fans’ view of who they believe will come out on top of this three-person positional battle in 2019. Here’s how they voted:

read more

https://stillcurtain.com/2019/05/11/...number-two-wr/

In terms of catches I'dd add Eli Rogers into the mix. He might catch the 2nd most balls among the WR's.

We really don't have a #2 right now. My guess would be Monciref. At least he has some size and speed. Moncrief has has his share of 100 yard games in the past and has been stuck with bad QB's and shaky OL's limiting his production. Ben makes his receivers, not the other way around.

Washington didn't show me much as a rookie. In fact he looked slow with iffy hands. Johnson with his below average size and speed is going to need to prove he can get open vs NFL DB's. Maybe he's quick enough and a good route runner. We'll see.

Tight End McDonald needs a good year. If he gets hurt, the passing game is in some trouble.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Moncrief. No doubt. After that Rogers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

This is assuming JuJu is the #1 of course, like we all see him being. But what if JuJu is the #2 guy this season? That means one of these other WRs really stepped up and took the #1 spot. That would be a great thing. I do not expect much from Johnson as a rookie. I'm willing to give him a rookie pass and just hope he learns a lot. Washington hardly saw any action so I don't expect much more from him either. I see the 3 biggest targets for Ben being JuJu, McDonald, and Moncrief. Just need some production out of Rogers, Switzer, and/or whoever else makes this squad. Shouldn't forget Samuels played the 'Swiss army knife' role. Wasn't he listed as a TE in the draft, or somewhere in his profile? Grimble needs to step up big time as the #2 TE this year also. But watch it be Gentry after all the hate that pick got from the fans. That would be some sweet irony.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It needs to be Washington if they want to still be an offense that can hit that 30 point/game mark consistently.

Moncrief was a really solid off-season addition, but he is what he is. Washington (in theory) has the tools to be a #1 WR, let alone a great #2.

A big key to the Steelers offense will be how far Washington progresses.

If I was the opposing DC, I would double JuJu and try and stuff Conner. Then see if any of the other "just a guy or unproven youngsters" could beat me.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It needs to be Washington if they want to still be an offense that can hit that 30 point/game mark consistently.

Moncrief was a really solid off-season addition, but he is what he is. Washington (in theory) has the tools to be a #1 WR, let alone a great #2.

If I was the opposing DC, I would double JuJu and try and stuff Conner. Then see if any of the other "just a guy or unproven youngsters" could beat me.
    This is correct. Washington NEEDS to be the guy that really steps up this season. I am worried about him though after such limited action last year. But here's to hoping the Steelers still know how to pick WRs.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Agreed.
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

I do not think it's realistic to ask for 30 points per game consistently .... 25 points per game(400 points) with a balanced offense and fewer turnovers is what I'm going to ask for this offense.Good point on Washington,he is the key.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

By game 6 I expect Washington to be getting the second most targets and Moncrief to be third.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    So your all out on Washington huh?

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

By week 5, JuJu, Washington and Johnson will be the top 3 WR's.

Washington is going to break out like Conner did last season.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Who will emerge as the Steelers number two wide receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    By game 6 I expect Washington to be getting the second most targets and Moncrief to be third.

- - - Updated - - -

So your all out on Washington huh?
    Not all out on Washington. Just think he’s somewhere average in between JuJu and Sweed. Charles Johnson maybe...hopefully wrong, but I didn’t see much last year that excited me. I don’t think Moncrief is better, he’s just going to get the numbers by default.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Washington will step up mid-season, but I see nothing ground-breaking from him. 800 yards maybe. Moncrief is eh.

While AB was a disruptive cancer, no doubt the Steelers will miss him on the field this year. This is the first time in a decade Ben will be without a group of talented receivers to throw to. We're talking 2004-2009 Cedrick Wilson-Levels of Wideouts. I cannot state enough how much the Passing game and the Offense will take a major step back this season. If Fichtner/Ben have even remote dreams of chasing Passing statistics in 2019, the Steelers will not win more than 8 games.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    If Fichtner/Ben have even remote dreams of chasing Passing statistics in 2019, the Steelers will not win more than 8 games.
    the Steelers will definitely win at least 8 games because Tomlin has never had a losing season

munchy

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Agreed.
    what he said

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    the Steelers will definitely win at least 8 games because Tomlin has never had a losing season
    0-0-16 would qualify and keep lots of fans happy too

Quote Originally Posted by munchy View Post
    what he said

- - - Updated - - -

0-0-16 would qualify and keep lots of fans happy too
    3-0-16! Perfect season!

I can not believe that some doubt of Ben because of the loss of Antonio Brown....Before Brown became a star in 20913 Roethlisberger was solid with several WR corp in his career and it was often with a bad o-line.

I do not think our WR corp is going to be bad .... JuJu is a star and if two other WR's can be constant, the steelers are going to be fine.

Also, the key will be our defense .... if they are garbage, the steelers have no chance, but if it is a defense that can be trusted in crucial situation, the steelers will have a very good season.It's going to take a team effort .... I do not want our team to depend too much on a player or something like that.No team can win that way...Just look at the Green Bay Packers in the last couple years.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Washington

Antonio: Who starts week 1 at wide receiver other than Ju-Ju?
    Ray Fittipaldo: Another good question. Could be James Washington. Could be Donte Moncrief. Could be Diontae Johnson. If Washington progresses and has a good preseason my guess is it will be him. But he has to prove it this summer.

read more

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201905130082

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    By week 5, JuJu, Washington and Johnson will be the top 3 WR's.

Washington is going to break out like Conner did last season.
    Agreed!

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Moncrief is a beast ....

Has speed , has power ....

has proven to be able to produce in this league even with stiffs throwing him the ball ....

Wait till Ben has his shots .....

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Moncrief is a beast ....

has proven to be able to produce in this league even with stiffs throwing him the ball ....

You mean Blake Bortles isn't a good QB? He hung up over 40 against us!

I kid, I kid

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Moncrief is a beast ....

I think many are going to be surprised at how good Moncrief is, and can be.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I think many are going to be surprised at how good Moncrief is, and can be.

agreed ... he was my hands down favorite WR his draft year
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Eric Herrmann (SCU) Retweeted

Zach Metkler
    @GZSports_ZM

So far, the Big Ben-Moncrief chemistry has not been overblown. They are connecting on almost every target. Love to see it.

https://twitter.com/SteelersGrind

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Could the departure of AB be a tad over blown? Don't get me wrong AB was a great WR while he was here, but just because he's gone doesn't mean we are going to miss a beat. If Washington steps up we will be right where we need to be with 1-3, and if he doesn't then we will have others who most likely will. I am more worried about our kickers than I am any of our WRs.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Could the departure of AB be a tad over blown? Don't get me wrong AB was a great WR while he was here, but just because he's gone doesn't mean we are going to miss a beat. If Washington steps up we will be right where we need to be with 1-3, and if he doesn't then we will have others who most likely will. I am more worried about our kickers than I am any of our WRs.
    I think this core has potential to be very good ..... Just need 2 or 3 other WR after JuJu to be good and the steelers are going to be fine at this position.

It will be JuJu as Vance McDonald will emerge as the #1 receiving threat!!!