Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Who will emerge as the Steelers number two wide receiver?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Who will emerge as the Steelers number two wide receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Don’t worry: someone will remind us that Diontae Johnson is already a bust.

As far as Sweed goes: I absolutely loved that pick. So much so, that if we redrafted the 2008 draft all over again... I’d still take Sweed.
    I say that every time when talking about that Sweed pick...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Washington looked good, hopefully this translates to the season

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Washington looked good, hopefully this translates to the season
    He admitted during the off season that he thought that his success in pre season last year would continue during the regular season .... I think he will have learned from that, not be too high after a big play and big game or too low after a bad play.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I got the same feeling. JuJu, Moncreif, Wash, Johnson, and Eli have jobs currently. Switzer is still outside looking in at that possible 6th spot with all the rest. Spencer and Tevin Jones are still in the mix as well.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I would say Switz is safer and Ben's buddy.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I got the same feeling. JuJu, Moncreif, Wash, Johnson, and Eli have jobs currently. Switzer is still outside looking in at that possible 6th spot with all the rest. Spencer and Tevin Jones are still in the mix as well.
    I think only 4 WRs are safe: JuJu, Moncrief, Washington and Johnson.

if we keep 6, the competition for the last two spots will be between Switzer, Eli, Spencer, Tevin Jones and Johnny Holton.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I think only 4 WRs are safe: JuJu, Moncrief, Washington and Johnson.

if we keep 6, the competition for the last two spots will be between Switzer, Eli, Spencer, Tevin Jones and Johnny Holton.
    You could be right that only 4 are currently safe. Holton was the name I couldn't remember before but he's definitely in this hunt too. I don't know how important a KO returner is anymore. Seems the NFL has adjusted for negating them mostly. If kicking to a decent returner kick it out the back. If kicking to a not so great returner kick just short of the EZ and force the return. Either way teams usually get pinned on KOs inside their own 25. This thinking puts Eli ahead of Switzer and Spencer in the return game plus Eli is the better WR overall. I see Holton and Jones as guys with better size for 50/50 balls than Switzer and Spencer. Although Switzer and Spencer have more short area quickness to get open faster. Should be a fun race to watch. For the record I see keeping 6 WRs again this season.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Who will emerge as the Steelers number two wide receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I would say Switz is safer and Ben's buddy.
    I feel like Switzer is the safer pick and Holton, at this point, is far and away ahead of Spencer and Jones. Holton may get a special teams spot (DHB). He played well as a receiver and on STs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

You could be right that only 4 are currently safe. Holton was the name I couldn't remember before but he's definitely in this hunt too. I don't know how important a KO returner is anymore. Seems the NFL has adjusted for negating them mostly. If kicking to a decent returner kick it out the back. If kicking to a not so great returner kick just short of the EZ and force the return. Either way teams usually get pinned on KOs inside their own 25. This thinking puts Eli ahead of Switzer and Spencer in the return game plus Eli is the better WR overall. I see Holton and Jones as guys with better size for 50/50 balls than Switzer and Spencer. Although Switzer and Spencer have more short area quickness to get open faster. Should be a fun race to watch. For the record I see keeping 6 WRs again this season.
    To me it's a given they will keep 6.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I feel like Switzer is the safer pick and Holton, at this point, is far and away ahead of Spencer and Jones. Holton may get a special teams spot (DHB). He played well as a receiver and on STs.
    Rogers could be trade bait as well.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Good players at QB, WR, OL, and DL are gonna have to get cut. Keeping all the guys that seem to have NFL level talent at those position groups would leave them too short at other spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Good players at QB, WR, OL, and DL are gonna have to get cut. Keeping all the guys that seem to have NFL level talent at those position groups would leave them too short at other spots.
    that's a good problem to have...

Why I think the Steelers are a better team this year and tons of depth.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Why I think the Steelers are a better team this year and tons of depth.
    not at safety...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

not at safety...
    I'm not convinced one way or the other there. Kelly, Locke, Allen, and Askew have a few more weeks to answer that question.

No doubt!

I'm not convinced one way or the other there. Kelly, Locke, Allen, and Askew have a few more weeks to answer that question.
    don't forget Dangerfield...

I wish I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Perhaps, but Washington also benefited from catching passes from his QB he's been playing with for several years. That connection showed up in the back-shoulder catch for a TD.
    Washington had also al least 2 big pass play with Dobbs too.
    Last edited by polamalubeast; 08-11-2019 at 11:20 AM.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yes, good point. Ben really made Washington look great last night!
    Neither Sweed nor Plaxico played either...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Perhaps, but Washington also benefited from catching passes from his QB he's been playing with for several years. That connection showed up in the back-shoulder catch for a TD.
    True, although Dobbs to Washington accounted for 2 REC- 65 Yards, while Rudolph to Washington accounted for 2 REC - 19 yards and 1TD. Washington was one foot down from also catching a TD from Dobbs.

Washington seemed to be productive with either QB that was throwing to him, although one could suggest that if Dobbs leads him on the first reception, that play goes all the way to the end zone.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Eli was terrible as a punt returner so I dont know if that puts him ahead of anyone in the return game.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    True, although Dobbs to Washington accounted for 2 REC- 65 Yards, while Rudolph to Washington accounted for 2 REC - 19 yards and 1TD. Washington was one foot down from also catching a TD from Dobbs.

Washington seemed to be productive with either QB that was throwing to him, although one could suggest that if Dobbs leads him on the first reception, that play goes all the way to the end zone.
    Honestly, I agree. I was just thinking about what advantages he may have had. I'm hoping he carries it into the season. In fact, I remember when they were talking about Mason R. as a QB in the draft and I jumped on Youtube to check him out. What really stood out to me was this WR who climbed the ladder and reached behind him to catch a pass. Turns out, it was Washington. I was hoping we would draft him and happy we did. Just waiting for it to show up in regular season now.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Eli was terrible as a punt returner so I dont know if that puts him ahead of anyone in the return game.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I believe the days as returner for Eli Rogers are over since his fumble in Chicago in 2017.

I would be very surprised if Switzer is not our PR in 2019.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Locke is on my shit list. He tried to scoop a fumble when falling on it would have ended the game. If we had more reliable safety depth I would have cut him right there for a mental error like that. I don’t care if it’s preseason, there is NO EXCUSE for that shit.

I really hope he got so ripped to shreds for that decision that he never makes another mental error again.

Silly in PHILLY: Call me silly...but the Steelers have some tough cuts at WR, right? u think they go w 5 or 6 wr’s- and who are they?

Ray Fittipaldo: JuJu (lock), Moncrief (lock), Diontae Johnson (lock), Washington (lock), Switzer (near lock)... No. 6 up for grabs if they keep six. Could be Eli Rogers. Could be Johnny Holton. Could be Tevin Jones. Could be Diontae Spencer.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201908120075