Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will emerge as the Steelers number two wide receiver?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Who will emerge as the Steelers number two wide receiver?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    So we can assume this is based of the alignment of guys in the pre-practice walkthrough on day 6 or so of camp. Sounds conclusive to me.

Johnson and Washington play different positions within the WR grouping. Both are making the team. Both will be dressed in gamedays. Either this is purely a fantasy football focused comment or the author of the Tweet doesn't know much about football.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So we can assume this is based of the alignment of guys in the pre-practice walkthrough on day 6 or so of camp. Sounds conclusive to me.

Johnson and Washington play different positions within the WR grouping. Both are making the team. Both will be dressed in gamedays. Either this is purely a fantasy football focused comment or the author of the Tweet doesn't know much about football.
    Just looked him up. He's a fantasy football "guru".

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

He looks like Vince Lombardi to me!

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I think Moncrief is going to have his best year this season. Defenses will be focused on Juju and Moncrief is going to be a monster!

Both can play as an outside receiver, but this is rare that a rookie (especially a 3rd round draft pick) is first to have the opportunity to be on the first team in front of a player who has already played in the NFL, and is a player who still has potential.

It does not say everything of course, but I was still surprised.

Both can play as an outside receiver, but this is rare that a rookie (especially a 3rd round draft pick) is first to have the opportunity to be on the first team in front of a player who has already played in the NFL, and is a player who still has potential.

It does not say everything of course, but I was still surprised.
    But Washington plays more of a classic "flanker/deep guy/Z WR" kinda role. Johnson plays more of an "Split End/X WR/Slot" kinda role. If both prove they can get open in the NFL and hang on to the ball, they are both going to have a big role on the 2019 Steelers. Based on skill-sets and projected "roles" Eli Rogers should be FAR more worried about Johnson getting some run with the #1 offense than Washington.

Also, how rare is it that a rookie gets a practice session over a veteran? I have no idea. I honestly do not follow the Steelers or any other NFL team practice session by practice session over training camp. I could be very wrong, but I strongly believe that reading too much into a single training camp practice is missing the forest for the trees kinda thing...if it starts happening consistently -- well then there is something to all of it. Just one or two times? They just want to get a look. For instance, the other day Foster got a veteran day off (similar to Moncrief being out with a minor injury) and Feiler got the call at LG, NOT Finney. Does that mean that Chuks has won the RT competion, Feiler has passed Finney as the main interior OL reserve, and some other guy is going to get cut? Almost certainly not. But the team wanted to try something out -- so they did. The WR rotation, at this point, is almost certainly the same thing.

Here is more from Tomlin on the mixing and matching of guys in practice: https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/mi...-depth-charts/

“I wouldn’t read too much into the groups at this juncture”, he went on. “We’re looking for certain matchups and things. The closer we get to in-stadium play, we’ll start worry about depth charts and such. Right now, we just want to challenge people, we want to see them in a variety of groups versus a variety of competition from an experience standpoint”.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Who will emerge as the Steelers number two wide receiver?

It’s going to be Moncrief if it’s not JuJu himself. Moncrief is an everything guy and he will be on the field more than any other WR. He can do short, mid and deep. He’s the guy. He’s produced with garbage at QB. It’s JuJu and Moncrief then everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

From what I’ve gathered (by reading various reports):

Diontae Johnson can get open at will. Alas, he doesn’t catch the ball as “routinely” as he gets open.

SUMMATION:
    I expect to see a lot of open looks, a lot of balls thrown his way, and about 1 in 9 dropped.

Still the same rotation that yesterday..

Don’t expect to see Eli Rogers gone any time soon. Rogers is not only getting the first crack at slot snaps, but he is showing out too. He had a few highlight reel plays today, and is as good of a route runner as he has ever been.

Diontae Spencer is an impressive player. He’s quick, he’s fast, and he’s a really attentive route runner. I liked what I saw, but he has to show out in the return game.

Ryan Switzer is just as quick and shifty as ever. He is a mismatch still out of the slot. If anyone loses their spot to the ascending Spencer, though, it’s Switzer.

James Washington looks much better this year than last year. He looks quicker and faster, his routes look sharper, and he seems to be more in the game. I really like what I saw.

Diontae Johnson’s tape at Toledo really translated right over to what I saw today. His releases, route running, and technical ability are all as advertised. The guy can play.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/fa...medium=twitter

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Rogers proving me wrong. Good to know.

Also, starting to think they'll go with 6 WR's after not believing they would unless that 6th receiver played on coverage units.

Reason? TE depth. I think they'll take no chances and make sure this team has options for Ben.

So how many does everyone think they carry? 6?

Juju
    Moncrief
    Washington
    Rogers
    Johnson
    Switzer

Wish they had another large WR in the mix. That is a number of small shifty dudes.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

So how many does everyone think they carry? 6?

Juju
    Moncrief
    Washington
    Rogers
    Johnson
    Switzer

Wish they had another large WR in the mix. That is a number of small shifty dudes.
    That sounds about right unless Spencer has a huge preseason.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Don’t expect to see Eli Rogers gone any time soon. Rogers is not only getting the first crack at slot snaps, but he is showing out too. He had a few highlight reel plays today, and is as good of a route runner as he has ever been.

Diontae Spencer is an impressive player. He’s quick, he’s fast, and he’s a really attentive route runner. I liked what I saw, but he has to show out in the return game.

Ryan Switzer is just as quick and shifty as ever. He is a mismatch still out of the slot. If anyone loses their spot to the ascending Spencer, though, it’s Switzer.

James Washington looks much better this year than last year. He looks quicker and faster, his routes look sharper, and he seems to be more in the game. I really like what I saw.

Diontae Johnson’s tape at Toledo really translated right over to what I saw today. His releases, route running, and technical ability are all as advertised. The guy can play.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/08/fa...medium=twitter
    Juju, Moncrief, Rogers, Johnson, Washington, Switzer. No one needs to “lose out” here. There’s a roster spot for all 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

May come down to a preseason battle of Switz vs Spencer if Rogers is indeed looking good/safe.

The edge for Switzer is he can return the punt...

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

So Dionte will be “injured” this season to get stronger for next season, got it.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Brian Allen will not make the team...