Thread: Ball skills are there for rookie Steelers cornerback Justin Layne

Hybrid View

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Ball skills are there for rookie Steelers cornerback Justin Layne

When Justin Layne was a freshman at Michigan State, way back in the dark ages of 2016, there was no NCAA transfer portal. If there had been, perhaps the 6-foot-3, four-star wide receiver recruit who’s now a Steeler would’ve balked at changing positions. Perhaps he would’ve looked elsewhere for a coach who wanted to keep him on offense.

He’s glad he didn’t.

“I wasn’t in favor of it at first,” Layne said matter-of-factly, then laughed. “But it worked out, so I’m in favor of it right now.”

Easy to say when you’re a third-round NFL draft pick who could feature prominently into the Steelers cornerback plans for the foreseeable future........

Read more @ https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201905110055

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Ball skills are there for rookie Steelers cornerback Justin Layne

I rewatched his NFL Combine workout and field drills the other day. Layne has great hands, a big catch radius and caught everything thrown at him in drills. He ran the gauntlet drill like a WR and caught the football smoothly. He looked good on lateral breaks, but the downside IMO is his change of direction as he is rather lanky and around 6'2". That shouldnt be a big deal, as he wont have to do that as much on the outside.

I'm looking forward to how he progresses by 2020, as he could be a guy that gets his hands on a lot of footballs and could turn out to be a longer armed Eric Rowe or a less physical Richard Sherman type player.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I rewatched his NFL Combine workout and field drills the other day. Layne has great hands, a big catch radius and caught everything thrown at him in drills. He ran the gauntlet drill like a WR and caught the football smoothly. He looked good on lateral breaks, but the downside IMO is his change of direction as he is rather lanky and around 6'2". That shouldnt be a big deal, as he wont have to do that as much on the outside.

I'm looking forward to how he progresses by 2020, as he could be a guy that gets his hands on a lot of footballs and could turn out to be a longer armed Eric Rowe or a less physical Richard Sherman type player.
    Ike Taylor with William Gay hands?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Ike Taylor with William Gay hands?
    Not really. Taylor is a stronger and more compact athlete. Maybe a thinner Brian Allen or maybe a more lanky Cortez Allen, but with Plaxico Burress hands. Still looked good in field drills and his college tape is good, but have to keep in mind that he is still hopefully developing.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Not really. Taylor is a stronger and more compact athlete. Maybe a thinner Brian Allen or maybe a more lanky Cortez Allen, but with Plaxico Burress hands. Still looked good in field drills and his college tape is good, but have to keep in mind that he is still hopefully developing.
    Just meant both are 6'2", drafted in a mid round, decent to good ball skills like Ike. Difference being Layne can actually catch the football like Gay. Didn't William Gay have something like 4-5-6 INTs returned for TDs in a row? Not games in a row but iNTs in a row.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hound View Post
    He was a steal for round three!
    Agreed. And hopefully he pans out for a long time.

Just meant both are 6'2", drafted in a mid round, decent to good ball skills like Ike. Difference being Layne can actually catch the football like Gay. Didn't William Gay have something like 4-5-6 INTs returned for TDs in a row? Not games in a row but iNTs in a row.
    e.
    I actually didn't think Taylor was 6'2" and Taylor was a workout machine that reportedly ran sub 4.3 at workouts. Layne looks more lanky than Ike and that fits as an ex WR, where I think Taylor was a converted RB. I don't know if Gay had 6INT returned for TD, that seems a bit excessive to me for a guy that never garnered many awards.

I guess with Layne I am pleased to see a guy with that height have good movement skills, but he isn't built to be big in run support, so the Safeties and OLB's better get there. Burns has good hands, but seemingly no interest in progressing with technique and responsibilities. I hope Layne does.

Senior Member Array title="Hound is a jewel in the rough">

He was a steal for round three!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

William Gay had 5 pick-sixes in a row. Never done before.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201512200118

Of course, because they weren’t “longer” those INTs don’t count.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Those were probably regular season INTs too. Those don’t count either.

Those were probably regular season INTs too. Those don’t count either.
    Yeah, and likely off Zach Mettenberger, Dan Orlovsky, John Kitna and whoever the Browns trotted out at QB.

Yeah, and likely off Zach Mettenberger, Dan Orlovsky, John Kitna and whoever the Browns trotted out at QB.
    I Looked that up for you. Andrew Luck, Zach Mettenberger, AJ McCarron, Brandon Weedon, and Matt (Matty Ice) Ryan.

I Looked that up for you. Andrew Luck, Zach Mettenberger, AJ McCarron, Brandon Weedon, and Matt (Matty Ice) Ryan.
    Thanks, that is kind of funny. I just guessed at Mettenberger and whoever the Browns trotted out(Weeden) and McCarron instead of Kitna. I figured he got a decent QB or 2 as well, which you posted. I remember Mettenberger beating Gay on a double move against the Titans, but couldn't recall if he also got an INT.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I think the point was that since they were spread out over three seasons, with a small number of total interceptions in each, it was an under-the-radar achievement. Kind of like a baseball player stealing 30 bases in a row without getting caught, but he only stole 10 bases per year, is less noticeable than a guy who steals 100 bases in one season and gets caught once in a while.
    True dat. Its not like Gay was some kind of prolific INT machine, but if you stretch it out over 3 years then it looks like an amazing stat. Funny how stats can be tweaked to make your slot corner look like an all pro.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

I think the point was that since they were spread out over three seasons, with a small number of total interceptions in each, it was an under-the-radar achievement. Kind of like a baseball player stealing 30 bases in a row without getting caught, but he only stole 10 bases per year, is less noticeable than a guy who steals 100 bases in one season and gets caught once in a while.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Well either way, no other CB has taken 5 consecutive INTs back for scores. William Gay did that and as a Steeler. Point was hopefully Layne has hands at least as good as Gay's. BTW... William Gay is helping coach WRs for the Steelers now.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I really like a lot about Justin Layne.

He was a huge value pick. I couldn't believe he was still available to be taken at that point of the draft, and was excited that they were able to get him where they did.

I think he has a chance to be very good. Now let's see where he goes from here. I'm excited to see how much he is able to show early in the process, and what he can develop into.