Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was Bush worth the trade up?

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Was Bush worth the trade up?

I wold compare Bush to Lawerence Timmons. He's a bit faster and better in coverage, not quite as hard-hitting or as strong as a tackler vs the run. Better on the Blitz. Likely not as durable.

The question is was he worth giving up 2nd and a 3rd pick?

We could have drafted Montez Sweat, who fell due to a misdiagnosed medical condition. Sweat was much better in college than Dupree was and ripped it up during the senior bowl practice week. A BPA pick and one that would save us 10 million a year down the road, as that's what it will take to give Dupree a long term deal.

In round two we could have used the 2nd pick on a receiver like D.K Metcalf, Campbell, AJ Brown, OR one of the top CB's( Williams, or Murphy ) , and picked up our ILB in round three in Pratt, and doubled down at ILB in round four or five with Burr-Kirven.

And of coruse, we'd have the last non-compensatory pick in round three to use in 2020

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Was Bush worth the trade up?

Yes....I think Bush will become a special player and a great leader on this defense.

- - - Updated - - -

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

We'll won't know now, but his leadership and coverage skills at LB were needed and it was a risk worth taking

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Is it too late to change the pick? I guess it is, so I am just gonna be a fan and wish all the rookies in B&G are successful.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    We'll won't know now, but his leadership and coverage skills at LB were needed and it was a risk worth taking
    This is how I feel. In all the draft is a crap shoot, so you shoot for what you know about a guy at the time and hope that your gut was right. Let's see how it plays out years from now

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    I wold compare Bush to Lawerence Timmons.
    You mean just for the heck of it??

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    I wold compare Bush to Lawerence Timmons. He's a bit faster and better in coverage, not quite as hard-hitting or as strong as a tackler vs the run. Better on the Blitz. Likely not as durable.

The question is was he worth giving up 2nd and a 3rd pick?

We could have drafted Montez Sweat, who fell due to a misdiagnosed medical condition. Sweat was much better in college than Dupree was and ripped it up during the senior bowl practice week. A BPA pick and one that would save us 10 million a year down the road, as that's what it will take to give Dupree a long term deal.

In round two we could have used the 2nd pick on a receiver like D.K Metcalf, Campbell, AJ Brown, OR one of the top CB's( Williams, or Murphy ) , and picked up our ILB in round three in Pratt, and doubled down at ILB in round four or five with Burr-Kirven.

And of coruse, we'd have the last non-compensatory pick in round three to use in 2020
    Shoulda, coulda, woulda........what difference. The deal is done. Let’s give the powers that be in the Steelers organization the benefit of the doubt for now, that they know a little more than we do.

munchy

i say no. too many quality players could have been had with all those picks.
    hopefully he proves me wrong

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by munchy View Post
    That's how I see it. By no means do I think Bush will be a disappointment. I don't see him as Ryan Shazier either. I'm not sold the Sweat won't be a better NFL player over Bush alone, and then there's the 2nd and 3rd round picks we gave up to get him.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Is it too late to change the pick? I guess it is, so I am just gonna be a fan and wish all the rookies in B&G are successful.

Where's the fun in that?

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

At some point you have to go after the player you think will make an impact on your team. We gave up a 2nd and a 3rd. There's no guarantees that those pics would have turned into someone impactful either. We had the pics to use, we haven't been known for being real aggressive when it comes to the draft. I think it was time. Is it a gamble? Sure it is but lots of people on this board will complain year in year out that we are never aggressive and go after higher picks in the draft. This year there was someone that appears to not only be a strong pic (if we didn't get him at 10 there's no way he would have lasted to where we were at 20) but he was one of the top 2 rated guys at the position we need to make an impact with. Fingers crossed but my opinion is that it was the right move. We can 2nd guess the choices every year but at some point you gotta commit to getting something accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
    At some point you have to go after the player you think will make an impact on your team. We gave up a 2nd and a 3rd. There's no guarantees that those pics would have turned into someone impactful either. We had the pics to use, we haven't been known for being real aggressive when it comes to the draft. I think it was time. Is it a gamble? Sure it is but lots of people on this board will complain year in year out that we are never aggressive and go after higher picks in the draft. This year there was someone that appears to not only be a strong pic (if we didn't get him at 10 there's no way he would have lasted to where we were at 20) but he was one of the top 2 rated guys at the position we need to make an impact with. Fingers crossed but my opinion is that it was the right move. We can 2nd guess the choices every year but at some point you gotta commit to getting something accomplished.
    Gee, look out. Another sound voice of reason.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

They wanted Devin Bush. The last possible pick he was going to be available was pick 10. They moved up and got the guy they wanted. Fantastic move.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Gee, look out. Another sound voice of reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    They wanted Devin Bush. The last possible pick he was going to be available was pick 10. They moved up and got the guy they wanted. Fantastic move.
    Kinda hard to argue with this much logic and reason.

munchy

what if he busts?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

what if he busts?
    what if you actually ever posted something positive?

munchy

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    what if you actually ever posted something positive?
    im positive your undies are in a bunch.................how was that?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

not possible, I don't wear undies. once again you're wrong as usual...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    not possible, I don't wear undies. once again you're wrong as usual...
    This post is a thing of beauty.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

what if he busts?
    To slightly misquote Donald Sutherland: "Always with the negative vibes Munchy always with the negative vibes. Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"

To the OP,

If we traded a 2nd and 3rd pick to move up in the first round and get a faster, better coverage Lawrence Timmons for the next ten years, then I'd make that trade every day and twice on Sunday. Timmons is probably one of the most underrated players on the Steelers in the Tomlin era. The second he got let go, our run defense doubled down in bad and our coverage got worse as well. Timmons, especially in his early years was one of those LBs you could put on a number 3 receiver with over the top help. Strange that he only ran a 4.67-40 because on game day he was much faster than that it seemed.

Seriously, why do you post here?

munchy

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Seriously, why do you post here?
    to voice my feelings and opinions. just like everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    To slightly misquote Donald Sutherland: "Always with the negative vibes Munchy always with the negative vibes. Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"
    Oddball!!! Just a great and weird movie all the way around!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Summation...awesome Summation!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Oddball!!! Just a great and weird movie all the way around!

“Kelly’s Heroes” one of my favorites. Great cast.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Seriously what kind of question is this? There's only one answer, we don't know until we see this guy play. And he's also a rookie so we might not know the answer until 2-4 years from now.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

what if he busts?
    What if they don't pick him and they don't have an impact inside linebacker? Simple, they don't get any better. Period. You can't get the ball in the basket if you never take a shot.

to voice my feelings and opinions. just like everyone else
    honestly, that explains a lot. Especially if you think that's why everyone else posts here as well. I can't speak for others, but I post here because I enjoy discussing things about my favorite team. Isn't it a little selfish to post on a board only because you want to voice your opinions?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Bush would have been available in the 7th round!