Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Was Bush worth the trade up?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Was Bush worth the trade up?

I guess we could explore or discuss what the alternative 2019 no trade draft would or could have looked like. Most folks seem to first want to pivot towards an edge rusher at #1.20. But looking at the list of pre-draft visits, the Steelers didn't bring any of the top edge rushers in for a look. So, unless this was the year they planned on breaking with precedent, they wouldn't have selected a guy like Sweat. Based on their visit list it would have been Savage or Murphy.

Moving to the second round, I figure that the pick would have been between pass rusher/wide receiver/BPA. I think they go with the same guy, Diontae Johnson, just a few dozen picks earlier. AJ Brown would have been gone by this pick and since they took Johnson over Hakeem Butler and Miles Boykin in the actual draft, I think this was "their guy" no matter what at the position.

The third round is another place we see a small shift. The first third round pick now goes to LB. I figure they get Germaine Pratt. Then they just repeat the Layne pick if they went Savage in Round 1. If they took Murphy in Round 1, then this pick is likely from a cluster of Gardner-Johnson/Winovich/Jaylon Ferguson.

Say the rest of the draft just plays out as is.

So you have Bush/Johnson/Layne as it is versus (I'm just gonna go with it) Murphy/Johnson/Pratt/Ferguson.

In my opinion, the talent acquired in both scenarios is at best a push. Most likely the gap between Bush and Pratt is big enough that it covers the gap between Murphy and Layne as well as making up for the lack of Ferguson.

Long story short, did the trade-up really take that much talent off the Steeler's roster? If they don't trade anymore picks from the 2020 draft they should still have 7 picks due to the comp for Bell. Were 8 draft picks making the 2020 roster? I certainly hope not.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

What if Layne ends up being better than Murphy? That's not a real stretch.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    What if Layne ends up being better than Murphy? That's not a real stretch.
    Honestly, I agree with that. But I was trying to work through the biggest gaps in talent that a likely set of Colbert picks from standing pat would have been. In other words, let's take the best case projection for Murphy and the worst case projection for Layne.

I think that the best case projection for Devin Bush is just so much better than anyone else (including White) in this draft at the absolute far and away not even close position of need for the Steelers that I would have been okay (not happy) with giving up more to trade up.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Bush would have been available in the 7th round!
    They could have traded out of the first round and got Nick Bosa in rd. 3... REACH! Who cares if someone picked him before us, if we did it again somehow in some alternate reality, he would have fell!

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

A Brown screwed us. The Steelers were set to trade Brown to Buffalo and swap 1st round picks until Brown became vocal, and Buffalo backed out. The cost the Steelers, a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

I hear the owners of Buffalo and Pittsburgh have been close for years, especially when they had that very old man ( forget his name ) as the owner.

Screw you AB. While I don't wish you injury, I hope you get jacked up while taunting. You won't be as good without Ben, that much I'm sure of

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    A Brown screwed us. The Steelers were set to trade Brown to Buffalo and swap 1st round picks until Brown became vocal, and Buffalo backed out. The cost the Steelers, a 2nd and 3rd round pick.
    that's not entirely accurate, we also received a better 3rd round pick in addition to a high 5th round pick from Oakland.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    honestly, that explains a lot. Especially if you think that's why everyone else posts here as well. I can't speak for others, but I post here because I enjoy discussing things about my favorite team. Isn't it a little selfish to post on a board only because you want to voice your opinions?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Bush would have been available in the 7th round!

chezman53

way over paid. Good but not great player.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

would I have traded up for Bush .... NO ..... does it matter ? NO ........

all that said while I personally feel it was a reach the team did not ......

who is right ? only time will tell ........
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Don't we have to see the guy play *before* we can answer this question?
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Don't we have to see the guy play *before* we can answer this question?
    The Steelers had to answer the question before he played. In fairness, the OP is simply asking the same question, at the same time.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The Steelers had to answer the question before he played. In fairness, the OP is simply asking the same question, at the same time.
    If that's the case, I can only answer the same way the Steelers did: "I hope so".
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Devin Bush Opens OTAs Running With 1st Team

By Alex Kozora
    Posted on May 21, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers aren’t keeping the training wheels on Devin Bush. Opening OTAs for the first time of the season, Bush reportedly ran with the starters for “most of the day,” according to this tweet/report from the Post-Gazette’s Sarah K. Spencer.

Of course, this will bring up shades of Ryan Shazier, who was running with the 1st team during the spring of his rookie season. He ended up starting the first five games of 2014 before missing a month with an injury.

Being a starter and ideally, a three-down player, will require Bush to be the signal caller of the defense. The man who wears the green dot on the back of his helmet, gets the playcall from the sideline, and aligns the front while adjusting to any audibles and motions the offense responds with. As Spencer’s tweet notes, Vince Williams seems to be taking Bush under his wing. Williams served as the team’s signal caller last season, the team opting to play him even on 3rd and long. After beating the Patriots, Mike Tomlin noted how important his communication was, even if it meant sacrificing a bit of athleticism.

to read rest of article:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/de...with-1st-team/

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Since OTAs have started, shall we throw the "bust" label around or does that happen in the 1st play of preseason???