Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bryant McFadden on Ed Reed vs Troy Polamalu

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Bryant McFadden on Ed Reed vs Troy Polamalu

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Bryant McFadden on Ed Reed vs Troy Polamalu

It's not something you can compare, both were the absolute best at their positions. Undisputed best.

It's like asking: What do you prefer, a blonde perfect 10 or a brunette perfect 10... Uhh, yes?

Of course as a Steeler fan I'd say I'm more a fan of Troy. But as a fan of football, they were both equally great

Troy though, was more fun to watch. He played with that reckless abandon and flew his body all over the place like he had no care in the world, which was really entertaining. That stop on Kerry Collins vs the Titans where he launched over the line to make a goal line stop, knifed through 3 or so offensive linemen / blockers to tackle a Broncos RB for a loss, his INT vs the chargers where he dived and literally made the pick within a HAIR of the turf.. Those are plays that will be forever ingrained in my head.

Ed on the other hand was the killer of comeback dreams. I lost count of how many times a team was behind by 1 score running the 2-minute drill, only to hear an announcer saying "INTERCEPTED BY ED REED! The Ravens will hold on to win vs the... [fill in the blank]"

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Reed was a sledge hammer compared to Troy the razor blade.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Perhaps I am in the minority here, but I think Polamalu was head and shoulders above Reed.

Reed was a very good conventional safety, one of the best. Polamalu changed the entire game - he could be anywhere on the field at any moment, filling any role or making any kind of play imaginable. A completely different dimension that Reed just didnt have. (No slight against him - nobody had that dimension except maybe Ronnie Lott.)

I've said this before, but I am also convinced - no joke - that Troy had the ability to slow down time. So many of his highlight-reel plays, no human could do those things unless they had five times as much time to move and react as everyone else. Some real Matrix-level shit. I've never seen anyone else do those kinds of things on a football field.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Ed Reed was a coverage free safety. Troy was a hybird safety.

Reed has more interceptions but Troy has I believe over 135 more tackles despite playing the same amount of seasons and less games played(158 compared to Reeds 174)

I'll never forget the play where Troy forced Peyton to call a timeout because he kept moving side to side on defense after Peyton audible 3 times. Peyton went on to point towards Troy basically saying "you got me"

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Perhaps I am in the minority here, but I think Polamalu was head and shoulders above Reed.

Reed was a very good conventional safety, one of the best. Polamalu changed the entire game - he could be anywhere on the field at any moment, filling any role or making any kind of play imaginable. A completely different dimension that Reed just didnt have. (No slight against him - nobody had that dimension except maybe Ronnie Lott.)

I've said this before, but I am also convinced - no joke - that Troy had the ability to slow down time. So many of his highlight-reel plays, no human could do those things unless they had five times as much time to move and react as everyone else. Some real Matrix-level shit. I've never seen anyone else do those kinds of things on a football field.
    True, but that's also because they played two different positions. Ed Reed played Ryan Clark's position. Not Troy P's position. So I don't think we can use how they played safety in general as a benchmark for declaring who was better than the other. I think I'd use something more along the lines of "which one had more of an affect on each game than the average player in their same position." And, on that, I just don't know. I would personally side with Troy, but that's the SteelersHomer in me talking.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Brian Dawkins is no slouch...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

They were 2 different safeties doing different things. They just performed at their positions exceptionally well

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I'll never forget the play where Troy forced Peyton to call a timeout because he kept moving side to side on defense after Peyton audible 3 times. Peyton went on to point towards Troy basically saying "you got me"

MNF two of the best football minds (ever) playing chess.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

[QUOTE=

filling any role[/QUOTE]

I don’t think he could fill Big Snacks roll.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I don’t think he could fill Big Snacks roll.
    Actually... he lined up at NT once or twice.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Actually... he lined up at NT once or twice.
    I need visual proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I need visual proof.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Brian Dawkins is no slouch...
    No, but I never really watched an Eagles game and waited for Dawkins to make a game changing play. Whether it was Steelers or Ravens, you expected Reed or Polamalu to impact the game in a big way at some point.

I am one that thinks Dawkins belongs in the Hall of Very Good Players.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Polamalu did stuff no other player did or could do. However no one played centerfielder quite like ed Reed. Each were transcendent

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

Like the hit on Johnson in the backfield vs the Titans.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Ed Reed was a coverage free safety. Troy was a hybird safety.

Reed has more interceptions but Troy has I believe over 135 more tackles despite playing the same amount of seasons and less games played(158 compared to Reeds 174)

Both will be first ballot type hall of fame players. Who is better depends on what you want from a safety? In coverage its Reed. As a blitzer / big hitter vs the run, it's Troy. On special teams, it's Reed.

Reed might not look it, but he was a very smart/instinctive type of player. Even Tom Brady wrote find #20 on his wrist band when they played the Ravens.

My take is Troy was the better Strong safety, Reed the better free safety.

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Man, they were both freaking outstanding safeties. You could debate from now til doomsday who was best and come up with convincing arguments for both. He was one Steelers out of the Ravens-Steelers era I can truly say I both respected, and liked. He played like a kid in the sandlot.

I still have nightmares about the 2008 AFCC. The pick-6 was bad, but Flacco basically threw it to Polamalu. But the jump stuff on 4th and 1 was brutal.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Better hair gives the edge to Troy.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Both will be first ballot type hall of fame players. Who is better depends on what you want from a safety? In coverage its Reed. As a blitzer / big hitter vs the run, it's Troy. On special teams, it's Reed.

Reed might not look it, but he was a very smart/instinctive type of player. Even Tom Brady wrote find #20 on his wrist band when they played the Ravens.

My take is Troy was the better Strong safety, Reed the better free safety.
    Basically.

Like comparing a TE to a WR.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    No, but I never really watched an Eagles game and waited for Dawkins to make a game changing play. Whether it was Steelers or Ravens, you expected Reed or Polamalu to impact the game in a big way at some point.

I am one that thinks Dawkins belongs in the Hall of Very Good Players.
    Yet Dawkins did make huge game changing plays. Maybe not in a national televised game but he definitely did.

Numbers with no names attached:

Brian Dawkins may not have been at the Polamalu or Ed Reed level but its impact on the defense eagles was also huge.

I mean when Dawkins left the eagles after the 2008 season, their defense was not the same ..... Prior to that, the eagles defense with Andy Reid as HC had often been one of the best defense for many years, even if the defense often had some weakness.

I was happy for him when he was in the HOF.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Brian Dawkins may not have been at the Polamalu or Ed Reed level but its impact on the defense eagles was also huge.

I mean when Dawkins left the eagles after the 2008 season, their defense was not the same ..... Prior to that, the eagles defense with Andy Reid as HC had often been one of the best defense for many years, even if the defense often had some weakness.

I was happy for him when he was in the HOF.
    Part of what made Dawkins great was his mental health issues. The guy was crazy. Example he once wore a super hero mask was for a week. More than one personality in there, the guy who came out on Sunday was a really bad dude.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Maybe I'm wrong but, Troy covered more ground thenReed did? I also thought more was asked of Troy than Reed. I also remember that play in the 2005 AFC title game against Denver where Troy dropped them back -5 yards right at their own 5 yard line on a third down play that was impressive.

munchy

who is biggie and pac?

Troy Polamalu is number 4 on this list....Reed is number 3...

Paul Krause was really good. Not better than Reed and Polamalu.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Depresses me to watch the highlights knowing there never will be another Troy.

2 legends!