Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bouchette: Tomlin Likely To Get Contract Extension

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Bouchette: Tomlin Likely To Get Contract Extension

PITTSBURGH (93.7 The Fan) - The Steelers have some decisions coming up when it comes to contracts, both players and coaches.

Fan Steelers Insider Ed Bouchette of The Athletic says General Manager Kevin Colbert is in the last year of his current contract and that he is hearing that at 62-years-old, Colbert will be taking it “year to year”.

“When he does leave he wants to make sure (the Steelers) are in good shape . . .I don’t know how long Kevin is going to keep going,” said Bouchette.

Bouchette also believes Coach Mike Tomlin will soon get a contract extension and event thought he want as much as a Sean Payton the Steelers will probably give it to him.

“I don’t think money is going to be an issue with his contract, I really don’t,” said Bouchette. “If they’re paying him $7 million now, I can see them going up to $9 (million).”

Bouchette adds the Steelers still think Tomlin is an elite coach.

“They think he’s a good coach, they want to keep him,” said Bouchette. “He would get another job in a second, they’ve cleaned out the clubhouse if you will a little bit and it’s a new beginning so I can see them extending (Tomlin).”

read more

https://937thefan.radio.com/articles...ract-extension

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Bouchette: Tomlin Likely To Get Contract Extension

This is gonna get ridiculous...

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

So glad that’s all clear.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

All Defense!

I would wait at least one more year before giving a new contract.

I also do not think he deserves to have a bigger contract that John Harbaugh (9 million per year) in Baltimore.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    This is gonna get ridiculous...
    Yeah, heads gonna explode over this news.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

How much counts against the cap? What is the dead money? So many questions...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Of course. Ben carries him to 9 wins yet again and since that's the standard of success for Art, he gets an extension

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Of course. Ben carries him to 9 wins yet again and since that's the standard of success for Art, he gets an extension
    But don't worry. Art is gonna make sure Ben gets paid too. After all, he has 52 kids to look after and that aint cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    But, but, but ... Tomlin has never had a losing record and he has a winning percentage of 65% in his career!

It's as if the context is not important for some.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    But, but, but ... Tomlin has never had a losing record and he has a winning percentage of 65% in his career!

It's as if the context is not important for some.
    Yep who cares about 3-5 in the playoffs the last 8 years and playoff losses to Tim Tebow and Blake Bortles, or going 0-3 against 4-12 Raiders teams in Oakland all in the past 8 years

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Like Marvin Lewis in Cincy, Mike Tomlin will hang around like a disease, and it will take years of absolute crap to get him fired.

As long as Mike achieves mediocrity, he won't be let go.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Man it's going to be tough to replace Colbert when he walks.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Man it's going to be tough to replace Colbert when he walks.
    Some of the posts around here would lead one to conclude Tomlin is to blame for not coaching up talent worthy of the 70s Steelers, 80s 49ers and 90s Cowboys, which would indicate Colbert leaving would be a loss.

OTOH if Colbert is not getting it done with the personnel he drafts/signs as FAs then Tomlin apparently is doing an acceptable job over the past 5 years given the personnel he has to work with - doing less got Harbaugh a multi-year $9 million per deal

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Some of the posts around here would lead one to conclude Tomlin is to blame for not coaching up talent worthy of the 70s Steelers, 80s 49ers and 90s Cowboys, which would indicate Colbert leaving would be a loss.

OTOH if Colbert is not getting it done with the personnel he drafts/signs as FAs then Tomlin apparently is doing an acceptable job over the past 5 years given the personnel he has to work with - doing less got Harbaugh a multi-year $9 million per deal

No, they are not the 1970s steelers, 1980s 49ers or other dynasty, but in the salary cap era, the steelers have often been very talented under Colbert .... Of course we always had some weaknesses like spmetimes it was the o-line or now the secondary but even the champion teams have weaknesses in their team so the steelers should have accomplished more in the last few years .... I'm not talking about super bowl, but at least more playoffs wins at least or not missed the playoffs.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Terry Bradshaw:

“I played for a tough sucker, and I was afraid of him, and we played our ass off for him because we feared him,” Bradshaw said of his coach, Chuck Noll. “I don’t see that with this guy. He’s chest bumping and all that. I’m the head of the corporation, I’m the CEO, I’m the chairman of the board, I’m talking to the stockholders telling them here’s how we’re gonna do at the end of the quarter. I’m selling this thing, and I’m not delivering the goods, which is championships. You’ve got to face the criticism. I’m sorry, but he’s not my kind of coach. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again.”

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/09/nfl...shaw-criticism

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Tomlin is like if you chopped Tony Romo and Andy Dalton in half and sewed them back together into a coach.

Year in and year out, do just well enough that the safe move for the GM is not to get rid of him, but everyone can tell it's just a tease and you're not winning shit when it counts. Good enough for the "it could be worse, we could be the Browns, omg Steelers fans are so spoiled" crowd, but not much else. Screw that, winners go home and fuck the prom queen. I'm tired of this shit. I guess you have to pick some other piece of shit team besides the Browns now. Bills or Dolphins or something, I guess. Whatever. Fuck you.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Who cares if we regularly lose to bottom feeders, continuously underachieved with the killer B’s in the playoffs,

we have an overall winning percentage after all with Tomlin and that should be good enough!

It’s amazing how often I see incompetence and mediocrity rewarded in the workplace, it’s all over, even in sports it seems

Tim Benz: Reevaluating Mike Tomlin’s contract situation with Steelers

Highbrow sports columnists such as myself refer to it as “having a developing opinion.”

The real world says, “I’m changing my mind, n’at.”

Trolls on Twitter say, “You’re flip-flopping.”

However you choose to phrase it, I’m altering my view on Mike Tomlin’s contract situation based on some new information.

That’s allowed, by the way.

Tomlin has two years remaining on his deal. That’s when the Steelers normally extend head coaches. They attempted to do so with Bill Cowher after the 2005 Super Bowl. It didn’t work out. He coached one more year then retired.

In January, Art Rooney II put off any talk of an extension for Tomlin. He said: “Those things we’ll get to sort of later in the offseason. We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.”

If we are talking bridges, Tomlin’s 2018 club caused far too many Steelers fans to consider leaping off one of the many available in Western Pennsylvania.

So once 2018 ended, I wrote that I was against a Tomlin extension. But I wasn’t going to fret about it because, well, it’s just Rooney’s money. And who cares? He has plenty of it.

It’s not as if Tomlin getting a contract extension does anything to the salary cap. But it might do something to Rooney’s sensibilities if he guarantees Tomlin a heap of cash on a new deal then feels the need to eat it upon an urge to fire him.

Previously, I didn’t think the sticker shock would ever prevent Rooney from making a football decision based on his coach.

Now, I’m not so sure.

According to a post in The Athletic on Tuesday, Tomlin makes $7 million per year now and will likely settle for no less than $9 million per year on an extension.

Even by NFL owner bottomless-pocket standards, we are getting into commitment-level numbers as you approach eight figures for a head coach. Granted, Tomlin probably would get another job quickly. And offset language may come into play to mitigate concerns.

Keep in mind, though, amid the myriad big-picture issues surrounding Antonio Brown’s situation, the matter of his comparatively minor $2.5 million roster bonus was constantly in play during discussions.

A one-and-done season for Tomlin on a new deal could extend well beyond that figure depending on the circumstances by which Tomlin is shoved out.

The danger comes into play if 2019 is a 4-12 kind of disaster from which Tomlin simply can’t return.

Then what?

Especially if Tomlin has $20 million-plus in new money looming. I guess I always knew that this was the monopoly money we were considering. But when you get into Bill Belichick territory — the story in The Athletic says he’s the top-paid coach at $12 million per year and no one else is paid more than $9 million — that seems to be a reality check.

Saying that Tomlin, with just three playoff victories since the 2010 AFC Championship Game, should be the second-highest paid coach in the NFL seems disproportionate.

Again, it’s Rooney’s plenty-porky piggy bank to use as he likes. So if he feels like security, continuity and consistency are that important to him, go ahead and sign the extension with two years left as he normally does.

I’d argue against it, though. The Steelers fan base is hungry, and it’s time for Tomlin to sing for his supper.

read more

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz...with-steelers/

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Good news.

Keeping your coach too long (like Marvin Lewis, Mike McCarthy or Hue Jackson in Cleveland) is no better than firing a coach too quickly.His two scenarios are terrible for a team

In a normal situation Tomlin would be in the hot seat for the 2019 season, but the steelers think he is untouchable ... This is the same team that kept Todd Haley for 6 years and it will be the 5th year for Keith Butler as DC.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Tim Benz: Reevaluating Mike Tomlin’s contract situation with Steelers

Highbrow sports columnists such as myself refer to it as “having a developing opinion.”

The real world says, “I’m changing my mind, n’at.”

Trolls on Twitter say, “You’re flip-flopping.”

However you choose to phrase it, I’m altering my view on Mike Tomlin’s contract situation based on some new information.

That’s allowed, by the way.

Tomlin has two years remaining on his deal. That’s when the Steelers normally extend head coaches. They attempted to do so with Bill Cowher after the 2005 Super Bowl. It didn’t work out. He coached one more year then retired.

In January, Art Rooney II put off any talk of an extension for Tomlin. He said: “Those things we’ll get to sort of later in the offseason. We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.”

If we are talking bridges, Tomlin’s 2018 club caused far too many Steelers fans to consider leaping off one of the many available in Western Pennsylvania.

So once 2018 ended, I wrote that I was against a Tomlin extension. But I wasn’t going to fret about it because, well, it’s just Rooney’s money. And who cares? He has plenty of it.

It’s not as if Tomlin getting a contract extension does anything to the salary cap. But it might do something to Rooney’s sensibilities if he guarantees Tomlin a heap of cash on a new deal then feels the need to eat it upon an urge to fire him.

Previously, I didn’t think the sticker shock would ever prevent Rooney from making a football decision based on his coach.

Now, I’m not so sure.

According to a post in The Athletic on Tuesday, Tomlin makes $7 million per year now and will likely settle for no less than $9 million per year on an extension.

Even by NFL owner bottomless-pocket standards, we are getting into commitment-level numbers as you approach eight figures for a head coach. Granted, Tomlin probably would get another job quickly. And offset language may come into play to mitigate concerns.

Keep in mind, though, amid the myriad big-picture issues surrounding Antonio Brown’s situation, the matter of his comparatively minor $2.5 million roster bonus was constantly in play during discussions.

A one-and-done season for Tomlin on a new deal could extend well beyond that figure depending on the circumstances by which Tomlin is shoved out.

The danger comes into play if 2019 is a 4-12 kind of disaster from which Tomlin simply can’t return.

Then what?

Especially if Tomlin has $20 million-plus in new money looming. I guess I always knew that this was the monopoly money we were considering. But when you get into Bill Belichick territory — the story in The Athletic says he’s the top-paid coach at $12 million per year and no one else is paid more than $9 million — that seems to be a reality check.

Saying that Tomlin, with just three playoff victories since the 2010 AFC Championship Game, should be the second-highest paid coach in the NFL seems disproportionate.

Again, it’s Rooney’s plenty-porky piggy bank to use as he likes. So if he feels like security, continuity and consistency are that important to him, go ahead and sign the extension with two years left as he normally does.

I’d argue against it, though. The Steelers fan base is hungry, and it’s time for Tomlin to sing for his supper.

read more

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-benz...with-steelers/
    Benz does a nice job of constructing the strawman of how Tomlin should not be the "second highest paid coach behind Belichick" and does not go into where Tomlin may be coming up with the alleged demand for $9 million per year

FWIW here are the salaries of coaches other than Belichick currently being paid $9 million or more

Jon Gruden 10 million
    Pete Carroll 9 million +
    Sean Payton 9 million

https://www.sportscasting.com/nfl/hi...tball-coaches/

The article for his new employer is paywalled but Bouchette said in The Athletic that John Harbaugh's new deal also is for $9 million per

If that is what Harbaugh is getting it would be malpractice for Tomlin's agent to be seeking less than that

It is the same situation as Ben getting his latest deal - you pay what the market rate is if you want someone to sign a new deal regardless of whether you believe the market is rationally pricing salaries

Keeping your coach too long (like Marvin Lewis, Mike McCarthy or Hue Jackson in Cleveland) is no better than firing a coach too quickly.His two scenarios are terrible for a team

In a normal situation Tomlin would be in the hot seat for the 2019 season, but the steelers think he is untouchable ... This is the same team that kept Todd Haley for 6 years and it will be the 5th year for Keith Butler as DC.
    And 7th season for Danny Smith

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

No, no one is going to confuse the 2010's Steelers with those dynasty teams of lore, but you cannot deny the fact that they have fielded upper-echelon talent, and could've done better than what they've accomplished. The Steelers under Tomlin are the epitome of underachievement.

3-5 Postseason record.
    Two one-and-out postseasons. Two at home no less.
    Losing to journeymen quarterbacks in the playoffs.

A Franchise Quarterback who is Top 10 in the league. The best reciever of his generation. A unique RB with a different skillset, a Pro Bowl Offensive Line, a Defense with a lot of playmakers, and this is all they have to show for it. Not even a Super Bowl appearance to show for it. Say what you will about Bill Cowher and his flaws in the 1990's-2000's, but he took the Steelers to several AFC Title games and been to a Super bowl, fielding utter mediocrity at Quarterback. Cowher's achilles' heel was the quarterback, but to do what he did was impressive in hindsight. Kordell Stewart played in more AFC Championship games under Cowher than Ben did under Tomlin from 2011-2019. That's when you know something isn't right.

John Harbaugh had nowhere near the caliber of talent as Tomlin had and did a lot more with it. He won a Super Bowl with Unibrow Flacco. He goes into New England and give Belichick/Brady fits, when was the last time the Steelers ever did that? Then last year, taking a team in the midst of a QB controversy with a rookie quarterback who can't throw to a division title.

You look at his record and win percentage, but when you go into the context of his career, Tomlin is lackluster.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    John Harbaugh had nowhere near the caliber of talent as Tomlin had and did a lot more with it. He won a Super Bowl with Unibrow Flacco. He goes into New England and give Belichick/Brady fits, when was the last time the Steelers ever did that? Then last year, taking a team in the midst of a QB controversy with a rookie quarterback who can't throw to a division title.

You look at his record and win percentage, but when you go into the context of his career, Tomlin is lackluster.
    How many seasons has Harbaugh made the playoffs and how many playoff wins does he have since the Ravens won the Super Bowl in 2012?

As far as what he did in his most recent playoff appearance, his team got its collective ass handed to it against the Chargers at home last January

As far as comparisons go, both Harbaugh and Tomlin had their greatest success on the front end of their careers as HC

There are good reasons to not extend Tomlin, but Harbaugh getting a new $9 million per deal is something Tomlin’s agent will be citing in support of why Tomlin should get the same

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

John Harbaugh had nowhere near the caliber of talent as Tomlin had and did a lot more with it.
    That's debatable. Offensive talent? Definitely not. But that defense was stacked, and probably the perennial #1 D in the league for some time during his tenure. Unibrow Flacco just had to manage the game, the defense carried that squad. Helped that they basically faced a rookie QB in the super bowl, who ended up being another version of Tim Tebow. Couldn't pass a ball worth a damn, but was a good runner and had some nice biceps

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

How many seasons has Harbaugh made the playoffs and how many playoff wins does he have since the Ravens won the Super Bowl in 2012?

As far as what he did in his most recent playoff appearance, his team got its collective ass handed to it against the Chargers at home last January

As far as comparisons go, both Harbaugh and Tomlin had their greatest success on the front end of their careers as HC

There are good reasons to not extend Tomlin, but Harbaugh getting a new $9 million per deal is something Tomlin’s agent will be citing in support of why Tomlin should get the same
    The Ravens as a franchise over the last 10 years are pretty damn similar to us, only with slightly less talent on average, one losing season, and they actually managed to win a championship.

Otherwise: "Pretty good, never quite a serious contender." Win enough to keep the coach and GM employed, and pick off the occasional early-round postseason win of no consequence. Trade off winning the division based mostly on when the other team is having a down year. Chances of winning a title are mainly that you'll have a lucky run, not that you're in the driver's seat.

I'd say the Ravens are in that situation of constant just-good-enough more because of personnel problems, e.g. an ongoing lack of standout players at a few key positions while scrambling to patch together the rest of the roster that's mostly solid. Whereas our problem is an abundance of talent that was squandered by lackluster preparation and game planning, a mentality that was more style than substance, and fatal flaws and major depth issuss on defense, both caused by piss-poor player development. Seems like our issue has a lot to do with the coaching.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

John Harbaugh is not perfect, but the ravens have been less talented than the Steelers since their last super bowl (The Ravens were far from talented in 2012 too ... They were very old especially in defense) But the Ravens have been very unlucky to miss the playoffs in 2016 and 2017 ..... In 2016, they were a tackle away on AB to win the AFC north (no way the bengals would have helped the steelers in week 17) ... and a 4th down stop away to make the playoffs in 2017.

Their biggest problem in the last few years was the QB position for the Ravens, especially as Flacco had a big contract, but they were not bad outside of 2015 when they lost so many close losses and numerous injuries.

But yes, I do not blame Tomlin for wanting a bigger contract than Harbaugh, but the context is important when you evaluate a coach .... You do not have to look just at the stats.

And also, even if leaders like Ray Lewis, Ed Reed left after 2012, their lockerroom has never been a big circus like the Steelers.

No, no one is going to confuse the 2010's Steelers with those dynasty teams of lore, but you cannot deny the fact that they have fielded upper-echelon talent, and could've done better than what they've accomplished. The Steelers under Tomlin are the epitome of underachievement.

3-5 Postseason record.
    Two one-and-out postseasons. Two at home no less.
    Losing to journeymen quarterbacks in the playoffs.

A Franchise Quarterback who is Top 10 in the league. The best reciever of his generation. A unique RB with a different skillset, a Pro Bowl Offensive Line, a Defense with a lot of playmakers, and this is all they have to show for it. Not even a Super Bowl appearance to show for it. Say what you will about Bill Cowher and his flaws in the 1990's-2000's, but he took the Steelers to several AFC Title games and been to a Super bowl, fielding utter mediocrity at Quarterback. Cowher's achilles' heel was the quarterback, but to do what he did was impressive in hindsight. Kordell Stewart played in more AFC Championship games under Cowher than Ben did under Tomlin from 2011-2019. That's when you know something isn't right.

Cowher also lost to better QBs and better teams. 3 of his 4 home AFC Championship losses were to they dynasty Patriots and the great late 90s Broncos teams that won back-to-back and doing so with Kordell and a playoff-inexperienced Ben who struggled in his first postseason, certainly no one as bad as Tim Tebow or Blake Bortles. Additionally Cowher only went one-and-done twice in his career, his first 2 years. Those years they lost to the 90s Bills who went to 4 straight Super Bowls and in OT on the road against a Chiefs team QBed by Joe Montana. After that Cowher won at least a playoff game in the next 8 consecutive trips. Tomlin already has 4 one-and-dones, one to Tim Tebow and a Broncos team with the 2nd worst point differential in NFL playoff history, the other was to Blake Bortles and a fluke Jags team at home