Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Bouchette: Tomlin Likely To Get Contract Extension

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Bouchette: Tomlin Likely To Get Contract Extension

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Jaguars' Tom Coughlin may have violated NFL offseason rules with one simple statement

The NFLPA isn't happy with a comment made by the Jaguars' executive vice president

John Breech
    Apr 18, 2019

When the Jacksonville Jaguars kicked off their offseason workout program on Monday, there were two very noticeable absences in the form of Jalen Ramsey and Telvin Smith.

When it comes to offseason workouts, players are technically allowed to stay at home, and that's because the workouts are voluntary. Apparently, someone forgot to relay that fact to Jaguars executive vice president Tom Coughlin, because he seemed pretty upset on Thursday when he was asked about Ramsey and Smith being no-shows.

"We're close to 100 percent attendance -- and quite frankly all of our players should be here," Coughlin said, via the team's official website.

Although Coughlin's one sentence answer doesn't seem like much, he might have actually violated NFL rules with his statement. Under the collective bargaining agreement, club officials are not allowed to make players feel like they have to attend any specific workout, which is basically what Coughlin might have done.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/j...ple-statement/
    i agree with this and your original posting. I haven't been clear. But what I am trying to express is that while the JETS have done nothing wrong -- there are many many in Steelers internet fandom who expressed loudly that in similar situations, this is where a strong team leadership cracks the whip. Myself and others have countered that for a variety of reasons (including league rules) it really isn't ideal or even possible.

I was just trying to be a smart-ass. Clearly, didn't pull it off!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    there are many many in Steelers internet fandom who expressed loudly that in similar situations, this is where a strong team leadership cracks the whip.
    I try not to take seriously what Steelers "fans" like munchy have to say, they are always going to focus on the negatives for whatever reason.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Well to hear most tell it around these parts; everyone from the owner on down to the HC should have been on the phone with Bell and his agent demanding attendance and enforcing discipline. Talking on the TV about not being a good teammate and everyone needing to work hard, etc etc etc
    I mean, there are two parts to it - the player's behavior, which you have limited control over ... and the transaction / "business" handling of it. Which I guess there was no real solution to in Bell's case, but which we completely blew it in Brown's case; and I mean blew it like falling face-first in dogshit. Sometimes the way you handle that part of it is the only way that does anything to affect the shitty behavior. Sometimes it doesn't.

In other words, Bell simply malfunctioned and I don't know if there's anything that could be done, so you can kind of forgive that. Not Brown though; that was a total shitfuck from the top (ownership) on down, with many, many chances to come out better off than we did.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I mean, there are two parts to it - the player's behavior, which you have limited control over ... and the transaction / "business" handling of it. Which I guess there was no real solution to in Bell's case, but which we completely blew it in Brown's case; and I mean blew it like falling face-first in dogshit. Sometimes the way you handle that part of it is the only way that does anything to affect the shitty behavior. Sometimes it doesn't.

In other words, Bell simply malfunctioned and I don't know if there's anything that could be done, so you can kind of forgive that. Not Brown though; that was a total shitfuck from the top (ownership) on down, with many, many chances to come out better off than we did.
    And that is the hypothesis that I am rejecting. These dudes are not going to toe the line no matter if the leash is an inch long or 10 miles. It was only ever about $$$ and not discipline or locker-room whatever the hell.

The AB saga is like a crappy choose your own adventure book. Same starting point and no matter what choices you make, you end up dead and having a blonde mustachioed Mr. Big Chest laughing over your corpse. It is just a question of how many seasons before you get there.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Tomlin has nothing to do with the AB situation the way I see it. AB wanted out so AB made his way out. AB is the 30yr old vet working on his legacy. JuJu is the new young gun taking away targets, fan's admiration and praise, and the team(AB's team) voted JuJu over AB for MVP. AB no longer cares about helping win games, AB wants his targets, accolades, stats, and to cement his legacy. That is the part of AB's career arc he is currently in. NOTHING the FO or Tomlin would have done could have fixed this. AB saw the writting on the wall, he was on the way down and JuJu and possibly Washington/Switzer are on the way up. It happens to every great player eventually. AB just decided to get ahead of it and buy himself a couple more seasons as 'The Man'. Pad those career stats a little more. Who else are they throwing to with the Raiders?

Anyway, to put that whole fiasco on the FO and Tomlin takes away the blame that should fall directly on AB alone. How do you fix it when AB won't even talk to you? If you believe Ryan Clark, AB was this way from day1 and it was only a matter of time before it came to this anyway.

With all this negativity and scandal being heaped on the Steelers Tomlin would become a GREAT coach if somehow the Steelers won the AFC North this season despite the "sh!tf*#k" of this offseason.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Tomlin has nothing to do with the AB situation the way I see it. AB wanted out so AB made his way out. AB is the 30yr old vet working on his legacy. JuJu is the new young gun taking away targets, fan's admiration and praise, and the team(AB's team) voted JuJu over AB for MVP. AB no longer cares about helping win games, AB wants his targets, accolades, stats, and to cement his legacy. That is the part of AB's career arc he is currently in. NOTHING the FO or Tomlin would have done could have fixed this. AB saw the writting on the wall, he was on the way down and JuJu and possibly Washington/Switzer are on the way up. It happens to every great player eventually. AB just decided to get ahead of it and buy himself a couple more seasons as 'The Man'. Pad those career stats a little more. Who else are they throwing to with the Raiders?

Anyway, to put that whole fiasco on the FO and Tomlin takes away the blame that should fall directly on AB alone. How do you fix it when AB won't even talk to you? If you believe Ryan Clark, AB was this way from day1 and it was only a matter of time before it came to this anyway.

With all this negativity and scandal being heaped on the Steelers Tomlin would become a GREAT coach if somehow the Steelers won the AFC North this season despite the "sh!tf*#k" of this offseason.
    The problem is that Tomlin has very little punished Brown after his facebook live after our playoff win against the Chiefs in 2016.

Also for the bold, maybe, but at the same time the steelers were very close to miss the playoffs in 2015 and 2016, so it was a matter of time before we missed them

if the steelers would keep playing with the fire ... even our regular season in 2017, the steelers were 8-2 in the one-game score, so it was also a matter of time before the steelers lost several close games and with all the drama that steelers have had in the last few years, it was also a matter of time before the team implode

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The problem is that Tomlin has very little punished Brown after his facebook live after our playoff win against the Chiefs in 2016.

Also for the bold, maybe, but at the same time the steelers were very close to miss the playoffs in 2015 and 2016, so it was a matter of time before we missed them

if the steelers would keep playing with the fire ... even our regular season in 2017, the steelers were 8-2 in the one-game score, so it was also a matter of time before the steelers lost several close games and with all the drama that steelers have had in the last few years, it was also a matter of time before the team implode
    Correct. So if Tomlin somehow rights the ship and wins the division, he has to be a GREAT coach and deserves his extension.

Correct. So if Tomlin somehow rights the ship and wins the division, he has to be a GREAT coach and deserves his extension.
    Maybe but Tomlin needs to prove he deserves an extension.

Maybe but Tomlin needs to prove he deserves an extension.
    Starting to get dizzy from going in this circle.

munchy

idk, when tomlin lets AB stay off grounds at training camp, ignored multiple team infractions and went on record saying he'll put up with it until he doesnt produce leads me to believe tomlin was a major part of the problem.........
    winning the afc north filled with bad to average teams isnt much of an accomplishment imo

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by munchy View Post
    idk, when tomlin lets AB stay off grounds at training camp, ignored multiple team infractions and went on record saying he'll put up with it until he doesnt produce leads me to believe tomlin was a major part of the problem.........
    winning the afc north filled with bad to average teams isnt much of an accomplishment imo

I don't think Tomlin should be exonerated of making any mistakes. I think he should have kept a firmer hand on AB. The thing is that I still don't believe that it would have stopped Antonio Brown from detonating with his ever-expanding ego and possible mental issues spiraling out of control. At the very least, he shouldn't have more blame put on his head than Brown. That just doesn't make any sense to me. AB used every disruptive force available to him to cause as much damage to the team as possible. That's a personal decision....not a coach's decision.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I don't think Tomlin should be exonerated of making any mistakes. I think he should have kept a firmer hand on AB. The thing is that I still don't believe that it would have stopped Antonio Brown from detonating with his ever-expanding ego and possible mental issues spiraling out of control. At the very least, he shouldn't have more blame put on his head than Brown. That just doesn't make any sense to me. AB used every disruptive force available to him to cause as much damage to the team as possible. That's a personal decision....not a coach's decision.
    People wired like AB do not respond to discipline. I truly believe that the granting of exceptions and over-looking infractions is what kept exactly what has happened over the last 8 months from happening earlier.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Colbert and/or Rooney are the goats in the AB fiasco. Whether or not he ever played another snap for the Steelers, from a business / management / value standpoint, the handling of that situation was the most shitheaded, bottom-of-the-barrel thing I have ever seen. Maybe Tomlin gets 1% of the blame if he was involved in the transactional part - but it is pretty clear that was headed for a train wreck no matter what the coach did. Shame we had to make it even worse.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Colbert and/or Rooney are the goats in the AB fiasco. Whether or not he ever played another snap for the Steelers, from a business / management / value standpoint, the handling of that situation was the most shitheaded, bottom-of-the-barrel thing I have ever seen. Maybe Tomlin gets 1% of the blame if he was involved in the transactional part - but it is pretty clear that was headed for a train wreck no matter what the coach did. Shame we had to make it even worse.

I was with you while it was happening. I thought they should have gotten more for AB.

The problem is, AB kept lowering his own value with his mouth and with his actions. He talked the Bills out of trading for him. Also, looking back at how disruptive he really was, maybe it was the best thing to just get rid of him. I was hoping they would have just kept him and forced him to decide to sit home and lose his salary or show up and play. I guess they didn't want another Bell situation and a shitload of money not being used on the field when it should be helping the team.

The situation was just a complete turd from the word go.

- - - Updated - - -

People wired like AB do not respond to discipline. I truly believe that the granting of exceptions and over-looking infractions is what kept exactly what has happened over the last 8 months from happening earlier.

I agree. He was a ticking time bomb. I believe he was going to create whatever made him feel "disrespected". AB was going to make this happen no matter what.

He still is a ticking time bomb IMO, but now he's the Raiders' problem.

I was with you while it was happening. I thought they should have gotten more for AB.

The problem is, AB kept lowering his own value with his mouth and with his actions. He talked the Bills out of trading for him. Also, looking back at how disruptive he really was, maybe it was the best thing to just get rid of him. I was hoping they would have just kept him and forced him to decide to sit home and lose his salary or show up and play. I guess they didn't want another Bell situation and a shitload of money not being used on the field when it should be helping the team.

The situation was just a complete turd from the word go.
    All they needed to get a 10x better outcome on the business side was a set of balls. AB would either be in Buffalo or the Steelers' inactive list right now if they handled it the right way, which was "You sabotaged the Buffalo trade? Ok, we're done looking for trades then - your move, rocket scientist." No way we should've walked away from that with less than a first-round pick, especially since our eventual trade partner had THREE OF THEM.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

All they needed to get a 10x better outcome on the business side was a set of balls. AB would either be in Buffalo or the Steelers' inactive list right now if they handled it the right way, which was "You sabotaged the Buffalo trade? Ok, we're done looking for trades then - your move, rocket scientist." No way we should've walked away from that with less than a first-round pick, especially since our eventual trade partner had THREE OF THEM.
    The value of AB was at its lowest ..... We can blame the steelers for waiting too long to trade Brown .... if they would traded Brown after the 2016 season, the steelers would have had more, but the drama around from AB was so ridiculous in this off season that his value was at its lowest and Colbert could do nothing about it.

It was the same for Santonio Holmes but for different reasons, but it's a thing of the past, we have to look forward.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

We have the most talent and should win the division. The way I see we underachieve especially in the playoffs.

With AB and Bell gone, the " distractions " should be gone. Tomlin could not handle them. He's too soft of a player's coach, and let the problem grow until it could not be controlled.

The value of AB was at its lowest ..... We can blame the steelers for waiting too long to trade Brown .... if they would traded Brown after the 2016 season, the steelers would have had more, but the drama around from AB was so ridiculous in this off season that his value was at its lowest and Colbert could do nothing about it.

It was the same for Santonio Holmes but for different reasons, but it's a thing of the past, we have to look forward.
    Right, his value was at his lowest, so it was a dumb time to sell. Even so, we clearly could have gotten much more in return than we did, simply by waiting until we got a better offer, which would take a few weeks max. There was nothing compelling us to jump on whatever lowball offer we got, or for that matter to call other teams making lowball offers ourselves. The market for that caliber of player is clearly a first-round pick MINIMUM, even if he has problems, and that was proven with other big-name trades the last two offseasons. But no, we insisted on having a fire sale.

Normally, you cost your team a first-round draft pick through incompetence, that's some shit that gets you fired right there. Colbert was not, which indicates the decision goes above his head, and there is like one guy in that category. And the higher up the bad decisions are coming from, the worse that is.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Right, his value was at his lowest, so it was a dumb time to sell. Even so, we clearly could have gotten much more in return than we did, simply by waiting until we got a better offer, which would take a few weeks max. There was nothing compelling us to jump on whatever lowball offer we got, or for that matter to call other teams making lowball offers ourselves. The market for that caliber of player is clearly a first-round pick MINIMUM, even if he has problems, and that was proven with other big-name trades the last two offseasons. But no, we insisted on having a fire sale.

Normally, you cost your team a first-round draft pick through incompetence, that's some shit that gets you fired right there. Colbert was not, which indicates the decision goes above his head, and there is like one guy in that category. And the higher up the bad decisions are coming from, the worse that is.
    The problem is that by waiting,the steelers would also have paid his signing bonus or signing bonus or something like that, which was at March 17.

The dead cap hit would have been even higher if they would have waited.

Ron Cook: Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert should both get extensions soon

The New York Jets pushed me over the top, not that I needed much of a shove. I’m more convinced than ever the Steelers are fortunate to have Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin running their football operations. Art Rooney II should give both a contract extension.

Now.

Not at training camp in July, the normal time these moves are made.

On Tuesday, the first day of the Steelers’ Organized Team Activities, which signifies a fresh start and better days ahead.

Colbert and Tomlin aren’t perfect. No one in the NFL is even close other than in New England. Colbert and Tomlin have missed on high draft choices. Artie Burns and Jarvis Jones come to mind. They have missed on free agents. How about Jon Bostic and Morgan Burnett last season and Ladarius Green in 2016? Certainly, Colbert and Tomlin didn’t do their best work the past two seasons. Last season ended with a 2-4 collapse and the Antonio Brown embarrassment. The season before ended with an ugly home playoff loss to Jacksonville when the team was looking ahead to a rematch with the Patriots after a 13-3 regular season. One more thing: I get that the Steelers have won just three playoff games since they went to the Super Bowl and lost to the Green Bay Packers after the 2010 season.

But I believe in consistency and steadiness. I still believe in Colbert and Tomlin. They have kept the Steelers competitive every season. The team will be competitive again this season despite losing Brown, Le’Veon Bell and Ryan Shazier since December 2017. I think it’s going to win the AFC North Division championship, which would be its seventh under Colbert/Tomlin. I’m not buying all the love for the Cleveland Browns.

It’s easy to keep Colbert, whose contract expires after the 2020 NFL draft. He’s 62 and, according to The Athletic’s Ed Bouchette, appears willing to work on a year-to-year basis. His overall body of work has been terrific. The Steelers have won more games than any NFL team except New England since he took over in 2000. He has no ego and always plays nice with his head coach, winning a Super Bowl with Bill Cowher after the 2005 season and another with Tomlin after the 2008 season. That compatibility is important.

Ask the Jets.

read more

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201905210021

munchy

im not sure what the rush is
    what is there to gain by extending tomlin now?
    what does it hurt to wait until the end of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by munchy View Post
    im not sure what the rush is
    what is there to gain by extending tomlin now?
    what does it hurt to wait until the end of the year?
    Coaches in the final year of their contracts are usually viewed as "lame ducks" or "dead man walking" and many feel that players will tune them out because they assume the coach will not be returning. It is also usually argued that a HC w/out an extension will struggle to retain assistant coaches and hamper a team in attracting FA's because everything will be viewed as highly unsettled.

At this point...hard to tell if it really matters one way or the other. Biggest risk, that I see, is that Tomlin doesn't get an extension, team does well, he is a "hot" coach again and decides to tell the Steelers they can take their vote of of "no confidence" and shove it...dunno.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Coaches in the final year of their contracts are usually viewed as "lame ducks" or "dead man walking" and many feel that players will tune them out because they assume the coach will not be returning.
    doesn't Tomlin have two years left still?

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    doesn't Tomlin have two years left still?
    Yeah. I forgot about that. Some of the same logic still applies. But the original question asked by Munchy and others is also valid.

Honestly, I don't think it really matters all that much. For the sake of appearances just extend Tomlin. This is the year they have almost always done it with HC contracts. If you don't like the results, you can still fire the guy. It isn't like an extension locks the team into any outcome. Heck, they can fire the guy the day after the extension is signed...I think.

The problem is that by waiting,the steelers would also have paid his signing bonus or signing bonus or something like that, which was at March 17.

The dead cap hit would have been even higher if they would have waited.
    As I said at the time, that didn't matter. It was a roster bonus for some shitty little amount like $2.5 million. It meant absolutely nothing in the overall scheme of the transaction.

If we rushed a fire-sale trade of an All-Pro player over a $2.5M roster bonus, we're even dumber than I thought.

Like - would you pay $2.5M for an extra first-round pick if you were the GM? If not, you should be fired on the spot.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

As I said at the time, that didn't matter. It was a roster bonus for some shitty little amount like $2.5 million. It meant absolutely nothing in the overall scheme of the transaction.

If we rushed a fire-sale trade of an All-Pro player over a $2.5M roster bonus, we're even dumber than I thought.

Like - would you pay $2.5M for an extra first-round pick if you were the GM? If not, you should be fired on the spot.
    I was also disappointed by the lack of return for AB ... but it was probably the best offer, since Brown also wanted a new contract, that very few little team could offer him ...

If the steelers would have waited, the offer could also be worse and the circus would have been even more crazy.

This is the time to move on for this trade!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Yet, for as much as Madden has slandered JuJu, JuJu has not once replied derisively.

Tomlin should get a contract extension. He's the best man for the job. Put him under contract for another 10 years.